PDA

View Full Version : New Project

Arie S
02-07-2009, 07:34 PM
My son and I took a ride to maryland to look at the sweet 16 on craigs list tuesday. he put a deposit on it and will pick it up when they get the title. the gell coat is original Yellow hull White deck with a painted stripe. the deck and hull are in nice shape. the engine is supposed to be a 383 stroker with low compression with a volvo 280. all hardware seems to be there except the interior Thanks to bverd. I hope his finders fee isnt to high :eek:

Arie S
02-07-2009, 07:39 PM
some pictures

bverd
02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
So glad it worked out. My fee is just a ride in it.

Where are you located at? Happy to help in any way I can.

--bverd

fogducker III
02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
A 383 stroker....:eek: That will fly along nicely....:yes:

Nice boat, what year is it? Much work other than the interior to do?

chappy
02-09-2009, 07:35 AM
That's a great starting point for a project. Good luck.:pimp:

Arie S
02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
My son Chris is leaving tomorrow for the Daytona 500 in Florida We will pick the boat up After he gets back. the boat is supposed to be a 76 it has a silver foil tag on the rear seat that is hard to read DMR166920176 A question we have for the Donzi experts is is there a reliable way to test the fuel tank in the boat I have been reading some of the old posts and it seems to be a problem in these 30 yr old boats Thanks John

mattyboy
02-09-2009, 07:23 PM
your nose is the best test crawl up under the deck and take a whiff.
it is not a steel tank it is alum assuming it has not been replaced. i have seen 20 yr old boats that the alum tank looked worse than my 40 yr old steel tank if the boat will be used in NJ the fuel system is going to be a problem.
any rubber hoses from 76 are not going to hold up well to the e 10 gas and will need to be replaced . sorry not what you want to hear but I would plan on a tank job

Donziweasel
02-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Nice find. It's looks like it is worth a tank replacement. 383 ought to move it along pretty nice.....:)

Christian
02-09-2009, 11:12 PM
pretty buy! if you need a factory scoop for the hatch to keep the donzi classic look please let me know!

2donzi2
02-10-2009, 07:46 AM
how much for the hatch scoop?

BigGrizzly
02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Nice buy, now for the sales pitch on props for it I have the ticket.

Arie S
02-10-2009, 07:11 PM
The fuel tank is aluminum we can see a small corner of it under the floor Is there any way to tell if it hase been replaced without taking the deck off

Kirbyvv
02-11-2009, 07:07 AM
If there are no fumes under the deck, then don't woory about it now. If there are fumes, check all the lines first. Mine had a cracked vent line when I first got it and smelled.

mattyboy
02-11-2009, 07:40 AM
The fuel tank is aluminum we can see a small corner of it under the floor Is there any way to tell if it hase been replaced without taking the deck off

yes a 76 would have an alum tank if it was poly or another material chances are it would have been replaced. if there are no signs of the floor being cut or the deck being lifted ( the glass tabs by the ski locker and floor tub cut) then i would agree it is the original tank. the corner you can see is it bare alum or is it treated or painted in any way? is the foam dry does it look like it has been exposed to moisture? an exposed alum tank can be more of a problem than an old steel tank

usually the gasket by they sender leaks if you have access to it replace it, if you have access to the fuel line replace it the material they were made of will not hold up to e 10 and if they don't leak now they soon will, plus before they leak they will decompose and will cause problems down the line

Arie S
02-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks for all the help and good advice. I saw 2 tabs that were cut in the rear tub area. maybe we'll get lucky and it has a new tank. when we get the boat home we'll have to check it out and take a lot of pictures I am sure that we will have a lot of questions to ask there is a lot of knowledge on this board. Thanks again

guy with the red donzi
02-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Well the 16 is now home. My dad and I went down this morning and picked it up. Wow for a 76 the gelcoat is real nice besides a few scratches I'll get fixed. Now its time for an interior, fix the engine or replace it, put a scoop on the hatch to cover the hole that has been cut into it and just go over the whole boat to make sure its ready for the water. I didn't get a chance to check if the gas tank has been replaced. It's going to be a little while till I can really get going on this project because money is a little tight but I plan on having it in the water this year. Again thanks bverd for finding this 16. Here are some more pictures.
thanks chris

Lenny
03-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Nice looking boat :yes:

Congrats

mattyboy
03-01-2009, 07:57 AM
good luck, if you need anything let me know you guys are not to far from me, i have some old volvo stuff you might be interested in.

BigGrizzly
03-01-2009, 10:52 AM
A new era in your life is starting.

guy with the red donzi
04-04-2009, 06:20 PM
I have a few questions. 1. How do I find the rotation of the drive? I have the engine all apart. Is there a way to tell on the cam? 2. Does anyone have some pictures of the interiors of yellow and white 16 or 18's? I need to start getting some prices on interiors and I want to know what color interior to go with. thanks chris

mattyboy
04-04-2009, 06:28 PM
the volvo usually spins left and the motor spins in the traditional automotive rotational direction( at least with a ford) in a single application
on the volvo usually spins left if the shift cable is attached on the left and right if it attaches on the right the volvo will spin boths ways

if you want when you can get to the drive give me a call 201-315-9662

mattyboy
04-05-2009, 08:55 AM
edit it is not the shift cable it is the shift linkage I will take pics and explain give me a minute

mattyboy
04-05-2009, 09:14 AM
ok the shift cable attaches to the lower flange and always pulls the flange in when retracted reverse and pushes the flange out when extended forward.

now if you have the shift linkage on the left side when extended it moves the shift flange( bowtie looking thing) left side down fwd lh rotation and when it the cable is retracted it moves the left side of the bowtie up or reverse in lh rotation. if the linkage is on the right side it is just the opposite

my explaination might be a lil foggy, again call me if you need to walk thru it

think of it like this put your right hand on a steering wheel at 3 o'clock move your right hand up you go left move your hand down you go right now take your right hand off and put your left hand on the wheel at 9 O'clock move your left hand up you go right and move it down you go left

there clear as mud in a fog storm at midnight

mattyboy
04-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Aries,
the interiors were usually tied in with the deck stripe or contrasting color if no stripe on a yellow classic

I have seen

white
white with yellow piping
Black
Grumble Green
Orange
and Yellow usually if the deck was white with a yellow stripe

when we did the cig we had some interior work done by a woman in Lake Hopatcong that is not to far from you or you can try PPI and see if they can do a LH L seat 16 interior

BigGrizzly
04-05-2009, 11:27 AM
the answer to your question is the engine is normal rotation and on that boat the drive is left habd rotation.

guy with the red donzi
04-06-2009, 08:14 PM
OK that makes sense with the rotation issue. The pictures helped big time. So the interiors were usually matched to the stripe? Ok so I am going to go with a yellow interior. Also one ore question. Where can I find a bucket seat for the boat? Isn't the bucket seat kind of rounded?
thanks again for all the help chris

mattyboy
04-07-2009, 06:26 AM
I would think PPI could get you a bucket with out the covering and then have whoever does the rest cover it for you so you don't have a color or pleat mis-match

yellow might be easier to keep clean than white and remember the interior last longer and won't get moldy if you remove it and clean and dry it after use

guy with the red donzi
04-13-2009, 06:45 PM
I'll have to call PPI. thanks. But now I have some more questions. The engine that came with the boat is all torn down right now, it had a 383 in it. I don't have the funds right now to rebuild the engine and do the interior. I have a complete 4.3 drop in and I have an older 302. Which engine would fit in easily so I can use the boat while I build the 383? I have a bell housing for the 302. The next question is how can I tell what model volvo I have? I can't find a serial number anywhere on the drive. Again thanks for all the help. chris

mrfixxall
04-13-2009, 07:49 PM
I'll have to call PPI. thanks. But now I have some more questions. The engine that came with the boat is all torn down right now, it had a 383 in it. I don't have the funds right now to rebuild the engine and do the interior. I have a complete 4.3 drop in and I have an older 302. Which engine would fit in easily so I can use the boat while I build the 383? I have a bell housing for the 302. The next question is how can I tell what model volvo I have? I can't find a serial number anywhere on the drive. Again thanks for all the help. chris

Everything on the 383 will fit on the 4.3 except for the intake,and exhaust manifolds..plus it will line up with the hole in the transm for the exhaust..

if you look on the back side of the drive rite below the input shaft on the upper housing their should be a tag their, on the serial # their should be a a,b,c,d the letter tells you the drive ratio.

guy with the red donzi
04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Ok cool thanks at least I can use the boat for the time being while I rebuild the 383. I haven't gotten a price on doing an interior yet but I don't see it being cheap. I need everything a bucket and all new foam.

guy with the red donzi
04-19-2009, 07:45 PM
What exactly is the difference between a 270 and a 280? Thanks Chris

mattyboy
04-19-2009, 08:06 PM
for the most part they are the same the thru drive exhaust ports are different and the anti cav plate are shaped differently the 270 was retrofitted with a trim setup once it became available on the 280 ( a trim setup is easily spotted as two large ears on the side of the transom housing)