PDA

View Full Version : I think I am there....??

fogducker III
02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
So went out with my son, Jacob, today. Not great weather, but not bad, calm and about 6*C.......

ALL of the trim tab stuff off except for the basic mounting brackets.........

27P labbed Mirage Plus, 3/4 tank of fuel and the two of us, numbers are based on a 26P because I was told a labbed prop was one pitch down from stamped numbers...?

Anyhow, with my co-pilot driving (just kidding, but he likes to think he was)

Gears = 1.50, pitch = 26, 4900rpm, theoretical speed = 80mph, slip 3%, actual speed = 77.6mph...........:yes:

PS. Thanks Lenny, and you other guys who piped up............

HOWARD O
02-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Dang, that's "gittin' it"!! 3% slip, that's awesome!

My 4 yr. old, Adam Jacob, gets his very first Donzi ride tomorrow.....but it'll be a tad warmer than that. He'll probably drive too! :shocking:

fogducker III
02-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks Howard, just make sure he has the needed "goggles"...

fogducker III
02-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Nice..

VERY nice :) :)

Note to self: X engine is gonna need a bit of work..

What is the X engine...???:garfield:

gold-n-rod
02-07-2009, 06:20 PM
I see you got some Wind-aways. How do you like 'em?

fogducker III
02-07-2009, 06:26 PM
I see you got some Wind-aways. How do you like 'em?

Awesome, I was not sure at first what it would do, I had to trim the mounting pads a little but it fits like a charm now and REALLY cuts down the wind noise, it deflects the wind just above the top of the head........ the thing I like is the easy removal aspect..........:wink:

Air 22
02-07-2009, 06:27 PM
So went out with my son, Jacob, today. Not great weather, but not bad, calm and about 6*C.......

ALL of the trim tab stuff off except for the basic mounting brackets.........

27P labbed Mirage Plus, 3/4 tank of fuel and the two of us, numbers are based on a 26P because I was told a labbed prop was one pitch down from stamped numbers...?

Anyhow, with my co-pilot driving (just kidding, but he likes to think he was)

Gears = 1.50, pitch = 26, 4900rpm, theoretical speed = 80mph, slip 3%, actual speed = 77.6mph...........:yes:

PS. Thanks Lenny, and you other guys who piped up............

Jeremy Very Impressive Indeed:yes:...Nice job:wink:...I'd say ur pretty much dialed in. Was the water flat or did u have a little chop? U could expect a little more if ur run today was on flat water:wink:...Fly'n it level on top of the chop it can get u a mph or 2...:kingme:....either way your numbers are SWEET:wink: Congrats!

fogducker III
02-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Jeremy Very Impressive Indeed:yes:...Nice job:wink:...I'd say ur pretty much dialed in. Was the water flat or did u have a little chop? U could expect a little more if ur run today was on flat water:wink:...Fly'n it level on top of the chop it can get u a mph or 2...:kingme:....either way your numbers are SWEET:wink: Congrats!

Thanks man, I was happy when I got off the water today, my son had a "$hit-eating grin" on his face.....lol

The water was FLAT calm and NO wind, we were also running 3/4 tank of fuel, I had ALL my tools on board just in case and I think with NOTHING on board and the right conditions, 80.....??????

Air 22
02-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks man, I was happy when I got off the water today, my son had a "$hit-eating grin" on his face.....lol

The water was FLAT calm and NO wind, we were also running 3/4 tank of fuel, I had ALL my tools on board just in case and I think with NOTHING on board and the right conditions, 80.....??????

I'd bet u can do 80...F---"n AWSOME!....Kepp us posted...

btw...having fun w your son like that beats and speed records....:yes::wink:

osur866
02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Very very nice bought where I figured you would be. Now bring it to AOTH! Steve

fogducker III
02-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd bet u can do 80...F---"n AWSOME!....Kepp us posted...

btw...having fun w your son like that beats and speed records....:yes::wink:

I know you have kids, but BONDING was the catch phrase today........my son loves me more than X-Box...........:eek::yes::wink:

fogducker III
02-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Very very nice bought where I figured you would be. Now bring it to AOTH! Steve

I appreciated your input Steve, thanks. I surprised myself today, I have some throttle to give and lbs to get rid of..........:wink::popcorn:

Air 22
02-07-2009, 06:51 PM
I know you have kids, but BONDING was the catch phrase today........my son loves me more than X-Box...........:eek::yes::wink:

Thats what its all about..:thumbsup:

BigGrizzly
02-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I am sooo happy for you. That is really getting it done, I know the bonding thing I have two sons and I Am happy I could do the boats racing motorcycles and cars with them with me. Andrew is in college and some of his friends had their doubts. This summer he borough a bunch of them to stay the weekend. I took them all for rides then let Andrew do it in the Corsican- his choice. Now he is riding high and tels me how much it meant to him. :yes:

osur866
02-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I gotta ask, what kinda tabs are going on the boat now?

Lenny
02-07-2009, 07:51 PM

Jeremy, that is AWESOME :yes: I knew they contributed to some ill manners. How was the ride at 78 mph ? How did the hull feel?

With a foot of chop, a bit of wind, 1/4 tank and one on board and NO tools, you will be bumping over 80 :yes:

Awesome !!! We'll have to fill the holes, and place a regular set of Bennetts or Dana's on there at the right location for ya. (soon)

I just got in from installing, 80%, a kitchen today on Dallas Road. This is great news to come home and see on the 'puter. :D

fogducker III
02-07-2009, 08:09 PM
I am sooo happy for you. That is really getting it done, I know the bonding thing I have two sons and I Am happy I could do the boats racing motorcycles and cars with them with me. Andrew is in college and some of his friends had their doubts. This summer he borough a bunch of them to stay the weekend. I took them all for rides then let Andrew do it in the Corsican- his choice. Now he is riding high and tels me how much it meant to him. :yes:

Good on ya...........:wink:

fogducker III
02-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I gotta ask, what kinda tabs are going on the boat now?

Know what..? I am not 100% but I know I need something, the old ones, as pointed out, don't work 100% but they did stabilize the boat, I think some small tabs or nothing will work if I watch how I am driving.........

fogducker III
02-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Jeremy, that is AWESOME :yes: I knew they contributed to some ill manners. How was the ride at 78 mph ? How did the hull feel?

With a foot of chop, a bit of wind, 1/4 tank and one on board and NO tools, you will be bumping over 80 :yes:

Awesome !!! We'll have to fill the holes, and place a regular set of Bennetts or Dana's on there at the right location for ya. (soon)

I just got in from installing, 80%, a kitchen today on Dallas Road. This is great news to come home and see on the 'puter. :D

Lenny, you don't understand what your solid input means, thanks...........

I am on cloud nine right now after retrieving the boat, having dinner, a beer and reading this.......ta......:cool:

hot shot
02-08-2009, 10:34 AM
what do you have for power ? and what brand prop was it ? Mick

hot shot
02-08-2009, 10:35 AM
sorry i looked back on for 1st post and see mirage plus

fogducker III
02-08-2009, 11:10 AM
what do you have for power ? and what brand prop was it ? Mick

Yup, Mirage Plus 27 pitch, labbed. Running a Scorpion 377 with Bravo 1.50 upper and an Imco 2" shortie leg.........now to figure out what tabs, if any, I need to install...........:popcorn:

mrfixxall
02-08-2009, 11:44 AM
2 foot chop should put you in the 80mph mark:yes:

DonziJon
02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Prolly be faster without the Wind Aways. :yes: John

fogducker III
02-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Prolly be faster without the Wind Aways. :yes: John

I was trying to think of what to do with the old trim tabs, now those mounted on the windshield as wind deflectors WOULD shave off mph.....:eek:

fogducker III
02-08-2009, 04:46 PM
So I spent the better part of last night and today reading ALL the info I could find about trim tab mounting.

I am not trying to start yet another thread about "who thinks what" about where and how to mount them!

The way I understand it is some prefer "horizontal" as opposed to "following the hull contour", it seems that it all depends on what final results one is looking for. Horizontal appears to be for stern to bow assistance and following the line of the hull assists with side to side movement. That is the "general" rule I have gathered.

I understand now that mine were not only mounted wrong for the application I needed them to do, they are just to damn big for a boat my size! Some have said 18's don't need tabs, mine does.......

I plan on mounting following the line of the hull, my question is, " Can anybody see a problem with cutting my existing tabs down?" They are currently 16" long and 12" wide at the transom tapering to 10" at the tips I can safely cut them down to 10" long keeping the same width, which I don't see a problem with. I will have to remove all the mounting hardware, fill and glass the holes and then remount, but at least this way I still have all the parts and everything internal stays the way it is.

Thoughts.....?

osur866
02-08-2009, 05:00 PM
How about just keeping it simple and putting the factory size Bennett tabs on in the regular/factory mounting location and selling those big flappers? Just be sure to get the shorter upper hindges so there high and dry while at WOT. Steve

Donziweasel
02-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I am with Steve. Get the small Bennetts and mount them with the hull conture, maybe 1 inch high. Sounds like you have her pretty much where you want her. You will be amazed how much these little tabs can effect your boat. Wrok great.

The Hedgehog
02-08-2009, 06:16 PM
That is perfect in that combo. You should be pretty happy with that.

DonziJon
02-08-2009, 07:16 PM
How about just keeping it simple and putting the factory size Bennett tabs on in the regular/factory mounting location and selling those big flappers? Just be sure to get the shorter upper hindges so there high and dry while at WOT. Steve

BINGO. Why try to reinvent the TrimTab?? :bonk: John

Lenny
02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Small Bennetts ... :)

fogducker III
02-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Not really trying to re-invent, just trying to use what I have...:garfield:

Why buy a set of Bennetts at $500+ when I already have everything here? The switches are mounted and working, as is the pump, all the lines and the thru hull fittings. All I need to do is reposition the top ram mount and the lower transom mount for the actual tab, trim the tab and done.....:confused:

I was just concerned with the size that I need to trim the tab.

If I rip out the whole Dana system I have, I wouldn't get much for it, perhaps the cost of the Bennett set-up, but then I have to remount everything, I realize that is just time but we all know somewhere during the install something doesn't fit right or an extra $$$ part is needed.....

On top of all that, personally I think the Dana system is FAR better made than the Bennett. Rams and tabs are billet aluminium, good pump etc etc.

But what do I know, I ran horizontal tabs for 5 months.......:nilly: