PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX cabin

brwn234
02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
The weather was pretty nice here today so I started disassembling my cabin to get a head start on replacing my saggy headliner. I realized that there is a some more room behind the verticle panel in the nose of the bow. Now I want to do something cool with that space or mount something on that panel. You see this kinda feature on bigger boats but never on a 22zx. I thought about maybe a small shelf with some LED's or maybe a mirror or just lights. What do you think? Any ideas?

rtgogo
02-07-2009, 07:00 PM
How much empty space is there?

brwn234
02-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Flat screen would be cool, I thought about that. But I dont think I want to spend that much. Also it probably wouldnt get used very much. Still I think I'll search ebay, a good deal may persuade me.

HOWARD O
02-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Mirrors! Mirrors on the ceiling, mirrors on the wall! Mirrors EVERYWHERE! :yes::yes::yes:

Okay, maybe not.....:lookaroun:

brwn234
02-07-2009, 08:53 PM
rtgogo, it's probably about 24" deep at the tip of the bow and angles down with the bow. Not alot of room but seems like you could do something with it. It's wasted otherwise.

rtgogo
02-08-2009, 06:12 PM
If my boys wern't always in the cabin duirng our rides, I'd say it may be a good spot for a sub to project back into the cocpit.....TV may be extreme, but one of those portable DVD's may be a ticket if your plannin on hangin out in there...not sure i could last through a movie in that hole...but then again...guess it depends on the movie and company....:kingme:

Donzi LG
02-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I wonder about putting a sub in there as well. I've been thinking about some kind of subwoofer setup in the cuddy, maybe this could be a possibility.

Ghost
02-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm thinking that between the conditions to which you'd subject a fixed TV (not a lot of marinized TVs, no?), and the amount of use, and the audience size, one of those portable mp3-style movie players might be fine.

As for mirrors, foil is cheap and the effect is probably a bit like impressionism...

rtgogo
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I can't seem to find a good spot for a sub in the cocpit unless i cut the glass under the bench and even then can only get 10" to fit.,..maybe.. My worry on that is that it will be too deep and I'd have to cut the glass from the storage area under the seat also. Not too crazy about hackin on her to add the thump...but those two little speakers near my feet ain't cuttin it this season.

The bow of the cabin may be perfect? plus it keeps a speaker box from eatin up the floor of the cabin which is the only other alternative. Depth sounds right for the speaker. Is there space for an amp back there?...how wide is the panel?

brwn234
02-09-2009, 12:34 PM
You could fit a 12" woofer pretty easily. As long as it's not one of those with the huge magnet. I think you'd have some trouble finding a good place to mount the amp. I think I want to keep the weight down and just build some kinda storage shelf. I also want to build some more storage on the back wall of the cabin. I've got some pics of the panel removed I'll try to upload tonight.

kramsay1234
02-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Back to your other issue - I have the saggy headliner as well. I guess the glue just doesn't hold up on any of them. I can put it back up, but it will fall down again within a day.

I like the flat screen tv idea, but it will take a lot of beating right up there in the front. Having the bass rumbling from under the cuddy is a pretty good idea. I am definitely moving to 7" speakers all around outside next season though. The factory Clarions just aren't cutting it.

zelatore
02-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd vote TV. Even if you don't use it much, it ads to the bling factor both now and when you sell. You can pick up a decent small LCD TV for a couple hundred bucks easily and fab up a simple mount.

I wouldn't bother looking for something marinized. First, that's a pretty protected area to start with. Second, are you even a salt water boater anyway? Third, LCDs are so cheap these days you could use it for 3 or 4 years then replace it if it dies cheaper than buying one marinized unit.

The real trick is that many home LCD TVs actualy run on 12vdc. For example, I put a Sharp on my Carver - just a generic thing I picked up at Best Buy or someplace. Instead of plugging it into a wall outlet and having to run my generator, I plugged the transformer into the wall then measured the output voltages on the plug that goes from it into the back of the TV. What do you know - 12vdc. Find the hot and the ground pins and wire them straight to a fuse or breaker and you've got TV running off your batteries for nothing!

zelatore
02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Back to your other issue - I have the saggy headliner as well. I guess the glue just doesn't hold up on any of them. I can put it back up, but it will fall down again within a day.

Typically to replace a headliner and make it stay you have to pull the whole thing down and get any foam off the backer. A quick sanding takes if off easily. Then you can use a spray glue like 3M-77 adhesive with a new headliner material and you should be good to go for years. I've done boats and cars that way with good results. Hardest part is getting the old stuff out.

brwn234
02-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Here's a couple pictures of whats behind door #1.

Uncle Fester
02-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Mine falls down too. Doesn't take much to just smooth your hand over it and it resticks for a while. I couldn't imagine going to the work of tearing things apart to make the headliner stay. As far as a screen or something up in the nose of the bow.... why??? A 22zx cuddy is nothing more than storage or an emergency place to sleep if you drank too much. I hate getting on my knees just getting the boat bag out let alone use the porta-potty (she only makes me take it when we are on the sandbar all day thank god).

Not knocking your enthusiasm to repair the headliner, but what good is the cuddy for anyway? I love my 22zx, but for the reason of the cuddy being pretty much useless, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 27zr if Jamie doesn't get bored of his 26zx soon and sell it to me.

BTW... as far as thumping the tunes, I posted pics not too long ago of the 15" sub setup I got down in the cuddy facing each other on either bench. Dedicated amp for the subs with crossovers and another amp for the 4 cockpit speakers.

(and the sub speaker boxes double as a stand for the portable DVD player if you do sleep in the cuddy and that 7" screen looks like a 42" in that small of space)

The Hedgehog
02-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Mine falls down too. Doesn't take much to just smooth your hand over it and it resticks for a while. I couldn't imagine going to the work of tearing things apart to make the headliner stay. As far as a screen or something up in the nose of the bow.... why??? A 22zx cuddy is nothing more than storage or an emergency place to sleep if you drank too much. I hate getting on my knees just getting the boat bag out let alone use the porta-potty (she only makes me take it when we are on the sandbar all day thank god).

Not knocking your enthusiasm to repair the headliner, but what good is the cuddy for anyway? I love my 22zx, but for the reason of the cuddy being pretty much useless, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 27zr if Jamie doesn't get bored of his 26zx soon and sell it to me.

BTW... as far as thumping the tunes, I posted pics not too long ago of the 15" sub setup I got down in the cuddy facing each other on either bench. Dedicated amp for the subs with crossovers and another amp for the 4 cockpit speakers.

(and the sub speaker boxes double as a stand for the portable DVD player if you do sleep in the cuddy and that 7" screen looks like a 42" in that small of space)

Word

Uncle Fester
02-09-2009, 07:56 PM
You were posting pics while I was typing....that is allot of wasted space. I wouldn't go putting any electronics up there if you take rough water like I do. Not only the added bow weight, but the amount of shock to the t.v. or whatever. Maybe a single sub, but I would worry about how solid it really is mounted - up there in the bow that take the hardest hits in the rough.

I would just get you a plastic mirror and attach it to the existing bulkhead. (typical guy strategy to make 6 feet look like 12...lol)

brwn234
02-09-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm also skeptical of mounting anything heavy up there. It's only held in by 1 screw at the bottom. You could put some mounting points up top by glassing in a block on either side to secure everything up.

Uncle Fester
02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
On another note... your pic looks like your cushion is one piece. Is it? Mine is split up the middle (two piece). I keep a roll of duct tape in my watertight tool box with the necesities and have to tape the cushions together as well as taping the square piece and the extension boards together or else everything splits and slides and you fight it all night

brwn234
02-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Yep all one piece. I made a platform for the forward part of the foot well where you would put the porta potty. If I've got a boat full of people I'll put my ice chest in the other half by the door. With the platform and the cooler it's perfectly flat across the whole cabin floor. It works out pretty good for climbing there after a few and the cooler is right there.

rtgogo
02-09-2009, 10:07 PM

Fester,
Where are those photos? I'd like to check it out...thanks...

Planetwarmer
02-09-2009, 11:10 PM
No stabbin cabin is complete without a mirror ball and a stripper pole!

Uncle Fester
02-09-2009, 11:48 PM
No stabbin cabin is complete without a mirror ball and a stripper pole!

I was gonna say that between my back and her feet... that liner gets restuck in no time at all.....lol

Fester,
Where are those photos? I'd like to check it out...thanks...

Here are some pics of my subs.... on a nice flat water when you crank it up you can see ripples come off the hull like running a wet finger around a wine glass.... just don't let the ladies sit on the bow in front of others...tends to embarrass them when others see them wiggle and giggle...

jdp_509
02-10-2009, 05:49 AM
WHere did you mount our amp?

Uncle Fester
02-10-2009, 10:49 AM
They're on the back side of the starbord speaker box

Last Tango
02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I had the right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability.

I use the cuddy on mine strictly for storing the stuff. My ageing fat butt cannot slither in and out of that hole without a real struggle. And then I'm claustrophic once inside.
When you first slide the hatch open, the cuddy appears to be packed. But that is only because everything is within arms reach of the door. The rest of the space is empty. The heavy stuff gets packed on the floor around the port-a-potty, so there is no legroom unless you pull everything out.
I thought about making a screen that would velcro from the inside, but I can't imagine spending an entire night in there.

There. I participated. Now you guys can go about your thread and sub woofers and mirrors, and I will just watch. Thanks. I feel better now.

The Hedgehog
02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Just for the record, I vote for the mirror and stripper pole.

brwn234
02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Last Tango, I'm one step ahead of you on the screen. Instead of velcro I'm using snaps. There are a bunch of screws that hold the back panel to the kockpit. There are 4, one in each corner of the door. I'm gonna use some snaps held in place by these screws. The other half of the snaps will be on the screen. Make it tight and there ya go, no skeeters.

brwn234
02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
They'd have to be midget stripers to fit in a zx cabin. You know, the kind that pop out of cupcakes.

The Hedgehog
02-11-2009, 05:31 AM
They'd have to be midget stripers to fit in a zx cabin. You know, the kind that pop out of cupcakes.

A fun game, see how many hotties you could fit in a 22ZX cabin.:salute:

Planetwarmer
02-13-2009, 01:14 AM

The cool thing about a 22s cabin, it makes midget strippers look like full sized strippers. Only you can fit more in there!:yes:

brwn234
02-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Midgets make everything look bigger :wink:

Last Tango
02-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Perfect date: Female midget with no teeth, and a flat head (so you can set your beer down).

I'm sorry about that. I apologize.

Ghost
02-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Perfect date: Female midget with no teeth, and a flat head (so you can set your beer down).

I'm sorry about that. I apologize.

That is just wrong. (Meaning you left out "mute.")