PDA

View Full Version : 1974 gt 21

Donzi74
02-06-2009, 08:23 PM
1974 GT 21. the seats have just been recovered. New gauges, one new battery, 350/350 engine, MSD ignition, fresh water cooled, volvo 280 outdrive. she is in great shape, the trailer has new brakes and bearings. any extra boat parts and supplies laying around will go with it, including the donzi racing paddle. i'm asking $7,900 O.B.O for everything. she is currently located in North carolina but is titled and registered in Florida.
252-626-6420 or rsalerno1@yahoo.com

HOWARD O
04-19-2009, 12:39 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of this boat and played follow the leader up and down the river for about an hour today.

This boat runs great and is in very nice original condition. :yes: I know he'd entertain good offers too. If someone wants a real nice classic on the cheap, here it is!

Now, do I really need a 2nd Donzi? I'm VERY tempted! :shocking:

MOP
04-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Looks like a nice boat should not last long now that the weathers is trying to break!

Donzi74
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
It was a pleasure meeting you also howard. i was surprised to see another donzi out there, especially one as pretty as yours.

Donzi74
05-19-2009, 06:03 PM
bump

Donzi74
07-18-2009, 02:55 PM
ok guys. whats it gonna take for someone to buy this boat?

2donzi2
07-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Did someone buy this boat? I saw it being pulled by a u haul yesterday on I95 in Palm Coast. Just curious.

Donzi74
07-26-2009, 01:00 PM
yup she's got a new home

Planetwarmer
07-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Daaaaang! Small world!

HOWARD O
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
yup she's got a new home

Congrats, great to see it's got a proud, new owner. It's a GREAT boat! :yes:

chappy
08-03-2009, 03:40 PM
New owner has different ideas, now on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-1974-Donzi-GT-21-Orig-Gentlemans-Cruiser-LOW-RES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQha shZitem2302589a5fQQitemZ150363216479QQptZPowerQ5fM otorboats

handfulz28
08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Is there a Donzi hedge fund we can buy into?

:popcorn:

speculator: one who buys or sells to profit from market price fluctuations

BUIZILLA
08-03-2009, 04:29 PM
the market didn't move 100% in 2 weeks

never has...

never will..

chappy
08-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Is there a Donzi hedge fund we can buy into?

:popcorn:

speculator: one who buys or sells to profit from market price fluctuations

That is funny.

Donzi Racer
08-03-2009, 07:43 PM
the market didn't move 100% in 2 weeks

never has...

never will..

Well how soon ya'll seem to forget the $7k Crimson 22 that sold on ebay for $14,299 after only a week or so, although there was a $400 discount thrown in for new tires, since the winning bidder got so close to the $14,500 buy it now, it seemed only fair. By the way Jim, the Orange Crush GT 21 that peaked your curiosity that was in Michigan is heading down to Florida. Be here in a week or so. You should see it. Be in the Merrit Island area. Tom

PS. Oh yea, this boat is a true DONZI Classic and I am the one that put it on ebay in case there are any questions. You will not be disapointed in this Baby! Of course I think the ebay ad speaks for itself but had to make Poodle happy. If anyone would like to come take a look or a ride in Orange Julius, Come on down to Merrit Island FLorida, this one is in the water waiting on you. We will leave the lights on. T

PSS Sorry little Nephew, I just couldn't keep the ole trap shut! I try to stay out, BUT they KEEP DRAGGIN ME BACK IN!!! T

Donzi Racer
08-04-2009, 05:43 AM
DR, since this has now become a commercial endeavor, don't you think it's about time you inquired into advertising on the board?

I completely agree. If you could guide me thru that I would be greatly apreciative. I still am holding a donation from the Crimson boat that sold on ebay. Since it did so well, my mystery partner,client wanted to make a donation from that sale also. We are building quite the collection down here in Florida & hope that new Donzi enthusiast or 1st time buyers will use the facility to come down & be able to drive classics like the 16, 18, 20, 21, & 22's before they decide what size Donzi they will be purchasing. Also growing the collection & hoping we can set up a Donzi Run & Antique Donzi Show close by. Maybe the Mount Dora event. We need to show up in force to show those beautiful Mahagony boats that you can still be stylish and beautiful in a fiberglass boat.

Also we were able to get Hagerty Marine Insurance, that insures a lot of those wooden boats to finally insure Donzi Classic Boats as well. They are not going to be excited about supercharged models but we were succesful in getting them to insure 11 Donzi's including MR Lingenfelter 22 Testa Rosa for well under 4K total. That was over $200,000 worth of Donzi's for well under $400 a boat. Now that ain't bad at all. Another problem with traditional insurance is that when you own a 1987 Donzi 22 classic, & it is a total loss, your insurance company looks up the NADA value and sends you a check for $5800. Well even I, can't find 22 classics "oh yea I forgot the Gucci Green 22 for $5,000" 22 foot boats for $5800 so you take a big loss on your baby. With Hagerty, they will insure your investment for what it would cost you to replace it, more like the $14,000 it would bring on ebay. And that figure is set up front not after you lose your Baby and then try and decide how much it is worth. That crimson boat was quoted at under $300 a year, when the client was going to keep it before we found the Lingenfelter TR & listed the Crimson boat on ebay. No layup times etiher. If anyone is interested in Hagerty marine insurance, call them at their 800 # and ask for Kelly. Tell them the Donzi Racer, or Tom sent you & NO I do not get a Kickback from that! I knew that would be someones next suggestion, the little optomists in some of ya'll.

Scott, I would definitely like to know how to advertise on the site and if you can direct me to whoever handles that or have them contact me, that would be great. Tom

roadtrip se
08-04-2009, 06:55 AM
is available from most marine insurance carriers. I wouldn't have a boat without it.

I agree, if we are going to have to read built-in ads on every post from DR Enterprises, I would like to see a banner ad, be it an expensive one, for the pleasure. Reality? I would prefer the shilling and peddling was eliminated completley. Big difference between selling off an extra prop, accessory, or your personal pride and joy, but I find this stuff just generally annoying and repetitive on a hobby site that is set up for info sharing, not running commercials.

Now where did I put that leisure suit and hair club for men bald spot covering spray, I got me a date with a Cheryl Tieg look a like this afternoon who thinks my old, broken down Donzi makes me a gen-you-ine gazillionaire. Wait until she finds out the truth, tee, hee, hee.

rustnrot
08-04-2009, 09:40 AM
yesyoucan has had his 1967 Donzi 16 v drive insured thru Hagerty for years. Of course, it may be because it is "antique" that got him in the door.

mk32j
08-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Their is another company for specialty auto insurance that I use for my right hand drive Toyota supra, But I don't know if they do boats the company is Grundy international I decide to use them over Hagerty as they have no mileage restrictions and were just a little cheaper with all the same values.

Just an F.Y.I.

Donzi Racer
08-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Actually, I talked to Hagerty about Donzi's two years ago, they said they would shortly be able to write them, they were just completing the basic terms n conditions. Good company, nice to see they will write them, but I believe they are only writing 30 year or older boats..

Thanks for the help with the advertising.

Scott, I believe we were the 1st ones a couple years ago to get our 1974 Baby quoted with hagerty. They had not done any Donzi's until then. Don't know about Half Breed since it is about 1/2 mahagony. They talked it over with underwriting and it was very reasonable. They have contacted us from time to time to get comparable values of the early classics, mainly the Barrel Backs which we were specializing in at the time. Another Registry member that had the Orange GT-21 with the big block had it insured with them and it was very reasonable considering the speed of that boat. We just got Quoted the whole collection of 11 Donzi's and it was super reasonable. That included the Lingenfelter Testa Rosa and the GT that is now coming to Florida. The earliest boat is a 1967 and the newest is the 1989 Black Widow & the '89 22 Omc boat. Now they might be including the two 89's & the 3 '88 Testa Rosa's because we had so many in the collection. I did not ask. I do agree with your assesment on the auto insurance also. When we had the 11 Chrysler Maserati's, about 1/2 insured with Hagerty & the other 1/2 with Grundy. Grundy was less expensive but Hagerty paid a claim for a 1983 Porsche 928 that had been hand washed & a new employee wiped the lower rails under the passenger door & then started doing the hood with all the grit from the lower area & put swirl marks in the beautiful Black paint. Car had super low miles, 10,500 aprox and had a wonderful paint job on it and they paid $3950 for it to be repainted. Now that is an insurance company. No questions asked. They have got me for life, that is for sure. Kelly is the one that took such good care of us in the marine dept. As usual I digress. Tell em the Racer is coming. Tom

Donzi Racer
08-05-2009, 12:56 AM
is available from most marine insurance carriers. I wouldn't have a boat without it.

I agree, if we are going to have to read built-in ads on every post from DR Enterprises, I would like to see a banner ad, be it an expensive one, for the pleasure. Reality? I would prefer the shilling and peddling was eliminated completley. Big difference between selling off an extra prop, accessory, or your personal pride and joy, but I find this stuff just generally annoying and repetitive on a hobby site that is set up for info sharing, not running commercials.

Now where did I put that leisure suit and hair club for men bald spot covering spray, I got me a date with a Cheryl Tieg look a like this afternoon who thinks my old, broken down Donzi makes me a gen-you-ine gazillionaire. Wait until she finds out the truth, tee, hee, hee.]

Two quick things, one the name of the business that you and Mad Poodle really got started is Testa Rosa Pete & Donzi Racer's Classic Donzi's and 2nd is when speaking or referring to me please do not use the word SHILL or SHILLING! It is a term to describe Fraudulent or Illegal activity and I would really appreciate it if you would not refer to me in that manner! Thanks so much and please enjoy Michigan this summer. Tom

rustnrot
08-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm sooo confused. :nilly:

2bar
08-05-2009, 10:16 AM
SHILL

A shill is an associate of a person selling goods or services or a political group, who pretends no association to the seller/group and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer. The intention of the shill is, using crowd psychology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_psychology), to encourage others unaware of the set-up to purchase said goods or services or support the political group's ideological claims. Shills are often employed by confidence artists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_artist). The term plant is also used.
Shilling is illegal in many circumstances and in many jurisdictions[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill#cite_note-0) because of the frequently fraudulent and damaging character of their actions. However, if a shill does not place uninformed parties at a risk of loss, but merely generates "buzz", the shill's actions may be legal. For example, a person planted in an audience to laugh and applaud when desired (see claque (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claque)), or to participate in on-stage activities as a "random member of the audience", is a type of legal shill.
"Shill" can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apologist) for glaring flaws. In this sense, they would be an implicit "shill" for the industry at large, possibly because their income is tied to its prosperity

I would say that is a reasonable assessment.

'Honest people are never touchy about the matter of being trusted'
- AYN RAND

roadtrip se
08-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I thank you.

todd

BERTRAM BOY
08-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Since this is now out in the open as a commercial endeavor, does this mean that those of us that you’ve contacted behind the scenes for historical information can now invoice “Donzi Racer's Classic Donzi's” for consulting fees?

boxy
08-05-2009, 01:39 PM
The comments below in no way reference the first ad displayed on Donzi.net by Donzi74.

"As far as conditon the hull is a solid 8.0, the gel color is also 8, the interior is a 10, windshield 5.0, engine is strong 9 as is the transom assembly and the Volvo drive." --- Donzi Racer.

Can a bottom painted hull truly be called an 8.0?
The Volvo in the ad above seems to leave a little to be desired if it is being called a 9.0.

rustnrot
08-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm going to assume a Perfect Score is 25.

mattyboy
08-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I am not always the sharpest tool in the shed, but doesn't keeping the bidders identity private where not even feed back is visible lend itself to shill bidding???

Scott Pearson
08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Dont worry...that boat will never fetch $15,500.00. If it does then I will be asking 100K for my 68. Once the Hornet is done I will be looking for at least 150K.

Anyone outside our Donzi Relm will have a survey done and I'm sure any good survey will scare the prospective buyer.

Sorry...I'm just a little fed up with this S**T. Its turned into another Duelly or whoever that guy was who was pulling the same S**T thats taking place now.

Donzi Racer
08-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Since this is now out in the open as a commercial endeavor, does this mean that those of us that you’ve contacted behind the scenes for historical information can now invoice “Donzi Racer's Classic Donzi's” for consulting fees?

Of course you can. You have always been a great help when it was 1 at a time so why not now? Although I have always and still do consider what I do, love of Donzi boats and also a hobby, a bigger hobby now but still a hobby. Looks like with all the comments on the site since I was here, I will be a busy boy tonight. Tom

Donzi Racer
08-06-2009, 12:05 AM
The comments below in no way reference the first ad displayed on Donzi.net by Donzi74.

"As far as conditon the hull is a solid 8.0, the gel color is also 8, the interior is a 10, windshield 5.0, engine is strong 9 as is the transom assembly and the Volvo drive." --- Donzi Racer.

Can a bottom painted hull truly be called an 8.0?
The Volvo in the ad above seems to leave a little to be desired if it is being called a 9.0.

Let me see now, when I mention hull, I mean the condition or integrety of the hull, which I include the deck, sides and the bottom. The bottom paint is older bottom paint and I like bottom paint if the boat is in Salt water or is kept even in fresh water most of the time. To clean off the bottom paint on this one would be a breeze and we would be glad to handle it, no charge at the Buy It Now price. We were going to put fresh paint on the bottom but thought it better to wait to see the buyers preference, fresh paint, old paint, or clean it off and buff it. Any of the three scenerios would be fine and included in the Buy It Now Price. The engine, drive, and gimble assembly run similar to new, that is what I consider a 9.0 which is remarkable for a 35 year old Donzi Boat. How you can tell how a Volvo outdrive runs from the pics in a previous ad, is a great gift? But if you are talking about the cosmetics of the outdrive, then we have had it cleaned, sanded, and repainted to look like the 8 or 9 we state in the ebay auction ad, instead of the 3 or 4 condition that Robert the owner we got it from will attest to when we got it.

This 35 year old boat was in very good condition for it's age when we got it, and now, we have done quite a bit of bringing the boats condition to a much higher level in the short time we have had it. It is the only Yellow Boat I have owned or bought in my 44 years of boating. After everyone we came in contact with seem to fall in love with it, maybe best to replace it with a GT that is as nice or better looking (9.5) but will do a little better in the speed dept. So we went ahead and got one of the best GT's in the country for the collection. It is the boat from Michigan & a few of you have seen it, but it had well over $60,000 spent on the customization & restoration. I should run it on ebay with a $75,000 By It Now. It does not go twice as fast as this '74 Orange Juius but Dang Near. These GT boats are fantastic forms hulls & ever since I saw the twin engine one years ago, I have been crazy about them.

By the way the # system I use, 1-10, Is comparing it to other 35 year old boats and this one is a solid 8 compared to other 1974 boats that are in mostly in original condition. This is an original boat with the exception of the motor and the freshened up interior. We are trying to purchase & offer affordable Donzi boats with the cost basis determined by the cost of the main components & the parts used to make or restore them. This boat has a hull worth at least $3500 in my opnion, & then another $3500 for a 350/350 hp roller motor running smoothly and like brand new. Then closed cooling system is at least 1 grand, Halon system, twin 1000 cranking amp batteries with batery switch is worth a a bit, the msd ignition is nice and the interior in this beauty is worth at least $2,500 for what it does for the boat. If the interior was not this nice, I still would not have ever owned a yellow boat. It is the most remarkable aspect of the boat in my opinion & what seems to draw people to it. Then there is he outdrive and gimble assembly in great running order, a very usable if not pretty trailer. That would be much more than the BUY IT NOW PRICE! DUH & DOUBLE DUH!!! This boat is sitting in front of a nice high dollar home on the intercoastal waterway in the Merrit Island area and the neighbors, owners of this home, visitors, & the craftspeople that have worked on this boat have all had a fit over this Oldie but Goodie, like no other boat I have ever seen, even though there are usually 4 or 5 newer & much more expensive Donzi's sitting out at the dock. This is also the one that everyone wants to ride in. Want to come see the conditon of the boat NOW, come on down. With the cost of the boat, the grand or more it cost to go get it & bring it back down here, the restoration cost that went in to make it like it is NOW, the new custom tangerine cockpit cover that matches the interior, a new pair of 1000 cranking amp batteries, who is to say what it worth or how much it is worth or will bring on Ebay. That is the wonderful thing about ebay, it sets it's own price & the Buy It Now is a hopeful outcome or a price to include some or all of the shipping, fresh bottom paint or removal of same & other helpful items to help the new owner enjoy this wonderful classic. So far I have sold 5 Donzi's on ebay over the last 5 years. Big enterprise here Boys, these 5 sold basically for BUY IT NOW every time. That is a remarkable thing considering that our antique furniture sells for the BUY IT NOW 1 out of every 20 items we put an item on. Ebay is Not what you ask or think it is worth, but what it is worth at that given moment with those given bidders. And just because the Buy It Now price is $14,500, I think it is a great boat in the $12,500 range, the reserve that I list as very reasonable & under 10 grand. Hello, if that is what it sells for, this would be a money losing oportunity for this Poodle & Roadtrip inspired new enterprise. I should call the business that or maybe MP,RT,DR,TP enteprises because this uh Hobby would not be, without their comments on the Crimson 22 thread. Thanks guys, Beer on me by the way. I just want to enjoy the Donzi's that are out there that I have not owned or driven and have some fun in my old age. So far so Good. If we can buy some good Donz's from folks that are trying hard to sell them, for either the Semi Permanent Collection or for fixing up and reselling, then so be it. We will behappy to talk to anyone about their 1966 to 1989 Classic Donzi.

By the way Poodle and all concerned, I talked to the Harbormaster bout advertising yesterday and are planning on Doubleing his suggestion for advertising on the Donzi Regisry because although I have never sold a Donzi on the site, I have bought many from here & love this site, as I have said many times. Just not to crazy abut some of the uneducated or unknowing coments made on the For Sale part about oter peoples boats that they d not anything about. No matter how much they think they do!

Anyone that gets this Orange Julius Classic GT-21 Donzi will be tickled pink. If not I will buy it back, always like to have them agqain. ha ha And when it is surveyed, that will attest to what I have laid down here. Sorry Boxy, for running on, but, thought I would get through quite a few of the comments at one time. Tom, Not racinin this one, just crusin Smooth & Easy!

PS was thinking about doing something similar to what we have done in our antique mission furniture business for years. If someone buys a Donzi, as long as the boat has been kept in the same general condition, would give them the exact same price for it when it is time to trade up or down with us? How does that sound? That is how sure I am that the older Donzi Classic boats will keep their value as time goes on. Hey now Let's RACE! T

Donzi Racer
08-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Dont worry...that boat will never fetch $15,500.00. If it does then I will be asking 100K for my 68. Once the Hornet is done I will be looking for at least 150K.

Anyone outside our Donzi Relm will have a survey done and I'm sure any good survey will scare the prospective buyer.

Sorry...I'm just a little fed up with this S**T. Its turned into another Duelly or whoever that guy was who was pulling the same S**T thats taking place now.

Scott, of course askng a 100k or 150k does not make them sell. I, like you am finding it difficult to believe the prices that the early classic Donzi's are starting to fetch. Although I think 15,500 is awfully high for this GT boat, the $7,900 Donzi 22 that brought over $14,000 10 days later was amazing also. Not expecting it but amazing just the same. That is wonderful that they are starting to pick up on price but the thing that left me flabergasted was the fact that there was a 14,200 under bidder and 6 other bidders from 10,000 to 14,299. That means there are a lot of 10k-13.500 buyers out there for 22 CLassics or Minx' right now. The truly rare ones do not seem to be bringing the big money yet, as an be seen by some of the rarer types that are on the registry for sale & hav not seemed to move yet. Maybe they need to be put on ebay? In our main antique business, the big namebrands have lost value aggressively, but the average or Generic makes, in our style of furniture are going up steadily in value. Mainly people looking for a good deal or at least reasonable price on one that they can afford. Another amazing factor is that when we put an antique on it may get 800 to 1000 people that view it but when we put a old DONZI on we get 5000 to 7500 pople that look at the ad. I still cannot believe that we have sold as many boats as we have in the last few years and not one on the Donzi Registry. They all basically gone for the Buy it Now on ebay and I keep putting the Buy It Now prices higher & higher because my buddies say I must not be asking enough if all of them are selling for the buy it now. There seems to be people having such a hard time finding Donzi's, & then cost of delivery ends the great deal there are on some of the special little boats. I do BUY a lot of boats from the registry though. I think they some are bargains a lot of times. We have bought 4 in the last couple weeks from Donzi Members. We even came home today with a George Carter Boat. These are very special boats as you may know. Not for sale, this one will be kept in the permanent collection for quite a while. He does such great work. I have not even had the chance to call him yet and let him know we now own this early Barrel Back that he worked so hard on and it looks like a brand new 2009 model after he got finished with it. Redone Stringers, New custom Fuel tank, Painted interior bilge area, from to back. If we are not a buyer for any of the older Donzi's here on the registry we would be glad to help in any way we can to ove them along to a deserving new member or soon to be member. That is all we are trying to do. Money helps the worl go round, but this is not about money. Great feeling seeing a new Donzi owner their new baby for the 1st time and then see what it does for Quality of life from that point on. Hard to put a price on that. Lets Race, & Jasper says Hey!!!!!

PS How do ya'll like the yellow GT (Pics below) now with the restorations done?

PSS Just Kidding, this is the reason the Yellow GT-21 is for sale, here is what is replacing it in the collection. Now go ahead and tear this one up boys. 1970 model!

mattyboy
08-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Poodle,
if you have a contact at Hagerty's could you send it to me.

The Lake George Donzi Classic club always gets requests for info on such things as insurance replacement value and the like. So it would be great to establish a relationship with Haggerty's. It would be a great mutual relationship they could provide a resource for our members and we can be resource to let them see the wide variety of donzi classics. We have some of rarest,some of the oldest,most pristine all original as well as meticulously restored classicson the planet. If they are looking for a valid cross section of the Donzi classic market to establish "value" one visit to the dustoff will be all the R&D they need. they can have access to our members and all of their knowledge plus I am sure a sit down with our Judges who go over the boats with a fine tooth comb . That should provide them all the info they need

olredalert
08-06-2009, 08:32 AM
------Matty,,,Although a certain person might help, you should just call them. I have a boat (Fino) and several cars insured with them and a different person talks to me every time I call, but my service never lessens in any way that I can see. Call them and mention the club with someone on the marine side of the business and Ill bet you will be pleasantly surprized.........Bill S

Donzi Racer
08-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Poodle,
if you have a contact at Hagerty's could you send it to me.

The Lake George Donzi Classic club always gets requests for info on such things as insurance replacement value and the like. So it would be great to establish a relationship with Haggerty's. It would be a great mutual relationship they could provide a resource for our members and we can be resource to let them see the wide variety of donzi classics. We have some of rarest,some of the oldest,most pristine all original as well as meticulously restored classicson the planet. If they are looking for a valid cross section of the Donzi classic market to establish "value" one visit to the dustoff will be all the R&D they need. they can have access to our members and all of their knowledge plus I am sure a sit down with our Judges who go over the boats with a fine tooth comb . That should provide them all the info they need

Matty, I know my name is not Poodle but the young lady that got that 1st '74 baby done a couple years back, name is Kelly. She seems to be the most knowledgeable person in the Marine division as far as Donzi's go and they all seem to be excited about the Donzi's being part of their program now. They love to get the pics of them when they are insured to drool over. You are right about the boats in your part of the country, I keep my Calender handy to drool at least once a week. As a matter a fact I will be glad to paypal whoever for 3 calenders sent to Kelly at Hagerty. She can divy them up for the rest of the crew there. They are all great. If there are anymore calenders available that is, email me an invoice at mishunaire@aol.com. Thanks & hope that info helps. Tom

olredalert
08-06-2009, 11:18 AM
-------I may not be able to tear up this orange GT21 as it is a nice boat and was well built, but I sure can tear up the people that built it. They stole about $6000 from me but thats just the tip of the iceberg. A certain govt. agency figures that they have scammed somewhere around 6 to 8 million off of others (3 million from one old man who is now basicly destitute). This is fact and not conjecture. There were dozens of people hurt way more than myself. There are so many lawsuits against them that I can never hope to get a dime of my money back.
-------You didnt buy it from them, Tom, so I am in no way tying this to you, and I talked to the guy who bought it from the bank that repossed it quite a while back and he seemed like a nice guy, but the trail of misery the builders of this boat left behind them is something I just cant forget!!!.......Bill S

Donzi Racer
08-06-2009, 03:27 PM
-------I may not be able to tear up this orange GT21 as it is a nice boat and was well built, but I sure can tear up the people that built it. They stole about $6000 from me but thats just the tip of the iceberg. A certain govt. agency figures that they have scammed somewhere around 6 to 8 million off of others (3 million from one old man who is now basicly destitute). This is fact and not conjecture. There were dozens of people hurt way more than myself. There are so many lawsuits against them that I can never hope to get a dime of my money back.
-------You didnt buy it from them, Tom, so I am in no way tying this to you, and I talked to the guy who bought it from the bank that repossed it quite a while back and he seemed like a nice guy, but the trail of misery the builders of this boat left behind them is something I just cant forget!!!.......Bill S

Thanks Bill, for not throwing me into the middle of all that, we are trying to get it as far from its previous life as we can. South Florida. I would really appreciate findig out more of that whole mess up there if there is a place or website where it would be listed or explained what all happened. I don't want anyone to have to re-live any hardships over again but it is in the History of the Vessel & I would like to include it in the history report of the boat. I still do not understand how the bank got it out before they did anything to or with it. You are right the Owner we are obtaining it from is a great guy and friend form Michigan. We are sending him one of our Minx or 22 classics or something he wants to run awhile up there. I have always loved this GT and can't wait till it gets down here. I just wanted to see if anyone would put down the quality of a 9.9 conditon boat which is what I consider this one. Tom

Donzi Racer
08-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I am not always the sharpest tool in the shed, but doesn't keeping the bidders identity private where not even feed back is visible lend itself to shill bidding???

Matty you noticed something that a lot of people think about ebay private listing. There is a way to see if there is shill bidding happening. It is very easy for ebay to tell and it is fairly simple for the average ebayer to tell also. The reason we started using the private Auctions years ago is the customers & mainly the dealers did not want others bidders or people in the business knowing they were the winning bidders or what they paid for any particular item. I can definitely understand the dealers not wanting everyone to know what they pay for their merchandise, see what is happening here on this thread right now. Even though no one knows except the buyer and the seller. It is no ones business really, but everyone seems to think they are the Donzi Po Po these days and want to make it their business.

It reminds me of a Barbara Streisand Limbert Double Oval table we purchased from Christies auction in New York in 1999. I had a very good client that wanted a table like that for 5 years and they were so hard to find for under 20k that he had not been able to afford one of the 4 we had found for him over that period. Well while I am in the auction mainly buying for a single customer one of those rare tables comes up and I buy the table for 9500. Great deal on a 20,000 table and it belonged to Barbara Streisand to boot for what ever that is worth. Well the client wanted it very badly and I quoted him a firm price of $15,000. He had a fit, you are charging me way to much and I am your best customer and I cannot believe you are trying to take advantage of me like that! I told him that I would negotiate on anything & everything I had for sale but that Table was 15,000 and I would turn it into a tv table if I could not get that price for it. He finally ended up with the table 6 months later & did not pay a penny for it. I traded him the table for my Dream car that he happened to have in his garage in st simon, ga. The point of this long story is that no one asked how much I was making on the table but here is the breakdown on the sale. It hammered for 9500, then there was a 17.5% buyers premium or $1662.50, cost of transportation was aound $400, cost to do some minor restoration was $375, I had a client with me that paid for the table for consideration of 1/2 the profit, or $1531.25 so my profit was $1,531.25 for a 20,000 table that I paid 9500 for. He thought that was too much for him to pay. He of course did not know how much I was making but the difference between 9500 to 15000 seem to be too much for the table he had wanted for almost 5 years and I had travelled all over the country trying to find for him. Duh Big Time!!! Hard to believe I put up with this,this, Joker & placed almost 2 million dollars worth of collectables into his collection in 5 years huh? Those figures did not even take into account that we had flown Rose & I up there to New York and hotel charges and so forth. That was December 1999 and it was my wife's 45th birthday then and that was her birthday present to go to Barbara Streisand's auction of her household furnishings from one of her houses. You may ask what dream car that was worth 15,000 to me? It was & is a 1983 Porsche 928 S 5 speed from Germany (Grey Market Car) with 350 hp net and would run 173 MPH right out of the wrapper & was as I recall advertised as the fastest Production Automobile in the world for 1983. It was like new with 10,453 original miles and had been kept in a heated & cooled, carpeted, garage and the car had never been out in the rain or had the headlights turned on. Never seen a more complete original survivor that was as new as if, you covered it in a plastic bubble when it left the factory. That is the same car that Hagerty paid for the new paint job when it was scratched while being washed. I do not know what the table is worth today but I have already gotten over 20k worth of fun with it and it now has a total of 14,755 miles on it. Best deal or trade I ever made in my LIFE! Just talking about that car brings a big smile on my face again. Tom

Tom

BUIZILLA
08-06-2009, 06:30 PM
. Grundy was less expensive but Hagerty paid a claim for a 1983 Porsche 928 that had been hand washed & a new employee wiped the lower rails under the passenger door & then started doing the hood with all the grit from the lower area & put swirl marks in the beautiful Black paint. Car had super low miles, 10,500 aprox and had a wonderful paint job on it and they paid $3950 for it to be repainted.

You may ask what dream car that was worth 15,000 to me? It was & is a 1983 Porsche 928 S 5 speed from Germany (Grey Car) with 350 hp net and would run 173 MPH right out of the wrapper & was as I recall advertised as the fastest Production Automobile in the world for 1983. It was like new with 10,453 original miles and had been kept in a heated & cooled, carpeted, garage and the car had never been out in the rain or had the headlights turned on. Never seen a more complete original survivor that was as new as if you covered it in a plastic bubble when it left the factory. That is the same car that Hagerty paid for the new paint job when it was scratched while being washed

was it a grey and black two tone?

or was it grey? or was it black?

olredalert
08-06-2009, 07:49 PM
------A european spec car from that era can be both grey and black. I dont think I have to explain that to YOU, Jim.........Bill S

BUIZILLA
08-06-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48995&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1249567527 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48995&d=1249567527)

Tom, is this the engine that was in it the last time it was reviewed?? memory says it looks to be different some how? was it changed during the repo fiasco?? am I wrong? the rest of the boat looks real enticing, very retro.... where's the current interior shots?

Donzi Racer
08-06-2009, 11:46 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48995&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1249567527 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48995&d=1249567527)

Tom, is this the engine that was in it the last time it was reviewed?? memory says it looks to be different some how? was it changed during the repo fiasco?? am I wrong? the rest of the boat looks real enticing, very retro.... where's the current interior shots?

Jim, as far as I know this is the engine that was in it when the bank got the boat back. I still think it is amazing that the bank got the boat out in tact. The loan amount or asset lien amount, from what I heard was $60,000. I do know for a fact the bank commitee or representative was Livid that the boat was selling for way under 1/2 of what it loaned on the boat. It was not an easy negotiation. As far as I know the top speed has not been found. Everyone that has been in the boat says it has unbelieveable torque & mid range power band, but say they had some left. We will soon see. The labbed prop says 33.5 pitch I believe. Would be glad to have you up here for the christening run. Have to put that Closed cooling system on it first. Anyway as I told someone, it is a mystery engine as far as I know. It makes gobs of power though. What had you heard motor wise, was in it before all the mess? Pics of the interior below. Tom

Donzi Racer
08-07-2009, 12:25 AM
------A european spec car from that era can be both grey and black. I dont think I have to explain that to YOU, Jim.........Bill S

Bill, Black like this? Tom

PS when I picked up this car it was one of happiest times in my life. As I found a 2 lane black top in rural Alabama, I called my dear wife and said just in case anything happens to me on my way home please explain to the funeral director that I was just driving a wonderful piece of automotive machinery & not doing something that I shouldn't be & that is why my smile goes from ear to ear!

My little ditty about the discription of this fantastic automobile when I got it goes something like this: She is knee deep in rubber, & high on chrome, not seen a rain drop, or even had the headlights on, the color is like midnight, with paint to burn, she has never been driven up hill or against the wind, she is so smooth, just like a kitty cat crossing cotton, SHE IS ONE REAL CREME PUFF!!!! T

Donzi Racer
08-07-2009, 12:58 AM
was it a grey and black two tone?

or was it grey? or was it black?

The car was Black, the reference to the grey is the fact that it came into the country as someones personal car. More than likely went over there & picked it out in person. Then had some miles put on it and then shipped to the U. S. If you had bought a Porsche 928 in '83 automatic from the U. S. the HP rating if memory serves, is 220 hp. Can we say it is a DOG! If you went over and picked out one from Germany & had the guys do their thing which use to entail someone owning & putting apoximately 8,000 Kilometers on the car by driving on the autobahn and then sending it to America to you in your name. Th car had 350 net hp & was a true super car of that era since all the polution stuff was stifling the ones sent by Porsche over here. 220 to 350 hp. That was referred to as a GREY CAR, meaning not in Black & White as far as how it made it to this country and how much polution crap it had to have on it, which was very little on a gray market car. I do also remember if memory serves, that the 928 is the only car made that had a perfect 25% of the weight to each wheel. Perfectly balanced & WOW how it handles. Been stopped twice in the car by the friendly PO PO, once for 147 mph and the other time for tripling the speed limit in a school zone with an expired tag, & no drivers licence. See I have been crazy all my life. When I was a kid either offence would have landed me in jail with confiscation of the car. Neither officer even gave me a ticket. I did get a warning ticket from the 147 mph officer. One of my funniest lines ever was when he asked me how fast I thought I was going? I told him the truth, officer I just got this car and I cannot figure out how to turn the gauge lights on but I bet I was going north of a 100. He thought that was the funniest thing he ever heard. North of a hundred huh? How bought 147 mph? Before we were done, he was sitting behind the wheel and I was popping the hood to show him the shoe horned v-8 that was SQUEEZED into the front of the car. Can you imagine this car today has 14,755 miles on it & is 26 years old. By the way boys, it was the closest thing to a 10, I had ever seen in a car, still is, except for the paint. By the way the school zone was at 8 am and no children on the street and I was only doing 45 mph in a normally 35 mph zone but I has just returned from Atlanta the evening before & had not changed my watch back to central time and I thought it was 9am instead of 8. Now most people that know me, know that am the fastest talking southern boy ever, & I have talked my way out of a few tickets in my time but that car could talk better than me. One officer said well, I will say this, I do not know whether it is going to ave kittens or puppies, but I ust wnat the pick of the litter! Almost as good as the north of a 100 coment earlier. Tom

Thought you had me, didn't you Jim? Tom

BUIZILLA
08-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Janice's oldest brother (RIP) had a stick shift grey color 928S, and yes it was an '83.... I spent many a mile in it... :wink: I know them WELL... a VERY good friend of mine, Mac Clark, was a Benz grey car importer/upfitter in that era and brought over, literally, boatloads of grey Porsche's and Benz's... in fact, Mac is a somewhat retired neighbor now of Toona in Hiawasee..

olredalert
08-07-2009, 08:34 AM
-----I hope that 928 was legalized correctly. We wouldnt want to do anything illegal,,,,,,would we Tom????????? Does it have its door beams and catalytic convertors in place??? Oh yah,,,Are the bumpers up to US code??? How about the headlights and tailights??? Do you have all your grey market paperwork??? Just sayin!!!.........Bill S

BUIZILLA
08-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Tom, i'm 99% positive that's not the engine in it now that was previously discussed a few months back... nonetheless, it's too nice for salt water use IMO

Sweet Cheekz
08-07-2009, 09:23 AM

Its real sharp in person Someone is getting a nice ride Looking forward to hearing the final numbers
SC

roadtrip se
08-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Jim, as far as I know this is the engine that was in it when the bank got the boat back. I still think it is amazing that the bank got the boat out in tact.The labbed prop says 33.5 pitch I believe.

The pics I have from when the bank had it a year ago show a Bravo One 30.

The engine shots I have also appear to match.

If anybody would like to see all of these photos, PM me an email address, and I'll send them on.

Donzi Racer
08-07-2009, 09:34 PM
The pics I have from when the bank had it a year ago show a Bravo One 30.

The engine shots I have also appear to match.

If anybody would like to see all of these photos, PM me an email address, and I'll send them on.

I believe that is the same prop that is on it now. I had them take it off for the trip down and inside the prop was some written #'s that said the 33.5 and I took it for granted the way this thing runs, it had to be a labbed prop to 33.5 pitch but that was me either guessing or wishful thinking. I am pretty sure this is the engine but not sure. There is a neat & inovative forced air system which mainly consist of pvc pipe that run form the clam shell vents to the front of that supercharger like air cleaner and it shoves fresh air into that big open hole. Neat concept. You can see those 2 ppe ends in the engine pics. It is heading south as we speak and is supposed to be here in Florida by Sunday Monday latest. It is then going to sanford fl. to splash in some fresh water. I need to get the closed cooling system that George Carter & Grizz have for it. We did have a 700 HP closed kit put in the lingenfelter. Jim you still have an invitaton to go for the virgin run. Will let you drive it a little. Hmmmmm?
I would like to see what you could get out of her. The previous owner which I know well, says she has not hit her top yet and he was in the mid 80's at least before he eased up. Everyone that sees her is amazed that it is right at 40 years old. Absolutely Amazing. Tom

Donzi Racer
08-07-2009, 09:39 PM
-----I hope that 928 was legalized correctly. We wouldnt want to do anything illegal,,,,,,would we Tom????????? Does it have its door beams and catalytic convertors in place??? Oh yah,,,Are the bumpers up to US code??? How about the headlights and tailights??? Do you have all your grey market paperwork??? Just sayin!!!.........Bill S

Well.........?

PS you just got the shortest repy from DR in history. ha ha Tom

olredalert
08-07-2009, 11:17 PM
------I did a bunch of legalization back in the day. I also did a bunch of re-illegalazationback in the day. Many times the very next day!!! :bonk: One of my best friends in the world used to run one of the best of the legalization test labs in the country in Ft.Liquerdale. Very profitable........Bill S

LKSD
08-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey this is an interesting thread.. :D :popcorn:

Donzi Racer
08-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Hey this is an interesting thread.. :D :popcorn:

I know that I have really enjoyed it

This GT 21 yellow w/orange interior Sold today on ebay. Oh Jim, seems like this Donzi market is very strong? Now how do you set up a Donzi Hedge fun?

Thanks Robert, great boat, Dad's trailer tag going out this week. T

The Orange Crush or Restored/customized GT 21 from Michigan came in tonight and it is the same motor that is pictured in the pics Jim. The boat is unbelieveable. Tricked, sic thick, more James Bond toys than you can shake a stick at. One of the neighborhood perfectionist was heard saying, hey this boat has been PIMPED!!!! It is absolutey unbelieveable. I have never seen anything like it, & I have seen a few Donzi's! My favorite GT-21 blue & white with the twin engines is no longer my favorite. This one has now taken over that spot. Even pulled ahead of Mighty Mouse in my opinion. Now that is a gawl dang BOAT! Now this one is ready run and rock & roll all at the same time! Tom

Just Say N20
08-11-2009, 06:16 AM
The GT 21 Sold for the Buy It Now today.Tom

You seem to have a magic touch. :shades:

Congratulations.

Donzi Racer
08-11-2009, 02:36 PM
You seem to have a magic touch. :shades:

Congratulations.

Thanks so much, and now if my partner just keeps thinking that way, we will have a lot of new Donzi enthuiast and registry members coming our way. I definitely see the older Donzi's going northward in price as we continue. I wish I could buy as many as possible at the prices now, but we know that will change as the as we bring more & more of the beauties out of the garages, boathouses, and basements. By the way we are putting new color bottom paint, sand & repaint outdrive, custom cockpit cover, new starter, extra starter, trailer upgrades, & delivery to Thousand Island area of New York included for the Buy it Now price. The Starters, & Bottom paint were offerred & accepted without prompting. All the buyer wanted was the free delivery. The other items were something that I thought would make the boat be as nearly perfect for a 35 year old classic & we want PLEASED CUSTOMERS! Tom

HOWARD O
08-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Tom, congrats on your business endeavors, appears very successful. The orange boat is certainly beautiful.
Question: My 22', previously owned by you, has this decal on the transom. Is this something you afix to all your boats or is it just coincidence? I mean, going by it's words, I assumed it to be yours? :cool:
Anyway, good luck in your future endeavors.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48993&d=1249567233

Donzi Racer
08-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Tom, congrats on your business endeavors, appears very successful. The orange boat is certainly beautiful.
Question: My 22', previously owned by you, has this decal on the transom. Is this something you afix to all your boats or is it just coincidence? I mean, going by it's words, I assumed it to be yours? :cool:
Anyway, good luck in your future endeavors.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48993&d=1249567233

Howard, your boat was not mine but Cuda and I were looking at it at the same time. The trs drive problem scared me since I had no one to work on it. He got a great boat and you then got it. The Orange boat came from michigan with the slogan on it. It makes a lot of sence with the speed this one is capable of. Thanks for the good wishes. Watch out for my friends the Smiths with my little Blue Bird Barrel Back. Love that boat. Tom

BUIZILLA
08-12-2009, 06:33 AM
The Orange Crush or Restored/customized GT 21 from Michigan came in tonight and it is the same motor that is pictured in the pics Jim. that's cool, curious to see how this engine runs vs the one it was restored with... :cool: sure is purty..

Donzi Racer
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
that's cool, curious to see how this engine runs vs the one it was restored with... :cool: sure is purty..

I thought it was wonderful in the pictures but in person it is unbelievable! Never seen anything in the same league with it, considering it is right at 40 years old. It looks like a custom made 2010. Wood floors in the cockpit & even in the bilge area. The paint is unbelievable. Putting the 900 HP Closed water cooling system on it this week and will splash it hopefully soon. The previous owner was getting mid 80's with room left. Get the ole Minx back and lets do some Trading! Tom

Donzi74
12-24-2020, 02:42 PM
Hey Tom, or anyone else. im trying to find out where my boat ended up and if it is for sale again.