PDA

View Full Version : Steering and Shift cables

Planetwarmer
02-06-2009, 06:02 PM
1987 22C Merc 454 Alpha 1 all stock 220 hours total

My steering feels stiff. My shifter is increasingly more difficult to get into neutral. Would new cables help the situation?

If so,
Where would be the best place to get them? Which 1s do you recommend?

Unfortunately, money IS an object.

Air 22
02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Boat-Parts-Accessories-Gear__Mercruiser-Shift-Cable-Kit-1-R-MR-Alpha-One-and-Gen-2_W0QQitemZ370152399285QQadiZ2823QQadnZBoatQ20Part sQ2cQ20AccessoriesQ20Q26Q20GearQQcmdZViewItemQQptZ Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item370152399285&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

DonziJon
02-06-2009, 06:41 PM
YUP: Sounds like the shift cable. The year sounds right for replacement. When I did it a few years ago ('86 Minx..Alpha I) the Merc shift cable was around $60. (April 1999) The drive has to come off...and at that time...If a shop did it...it was $350. $400. I passed and did it myself. If you are mechanically inclined..do it yourself. The labor is the cost. You need a Shop Manual..available at West Marine. John

Planetwarmer
02-06-2009, 07:01 PM
How about the steering cable? Would replacing that help to smooth the steering?

DonziJon
02-07-2009, 09:55 AM
How about the steering cable? Would replacing that help to smooth the steering?

Can't tell you about the steering cable as I have never replaced it. As far as i know, my steering cable is original. John

mrfixxall
02-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Your steering rack coud be on its way out,disconnect the cable and see if it turns easily..If it does then its either your pump pressure or the rack..

Planetwarmer
02-07-2009, 05:14 PM
How much play in the steering does your steering have? Mine is an 87 alpha 1, and it has roughly 2 inches of play before it does anything. That is with the motor on or off. And that is before the rack even moves.

Any idea if that is normal? If not, what would be normal for a 1st gen alpha steering play?

Thanks for the help.

DonziJon
02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
How much play in the steering does your steering have? Mine is an 87 alpha 1, and it has roughly 2 inches of play before it does anything. That is with the motor on or off. And that is before the rack even moves.

Any idea if that is normal? If not, what would be normal for a 1st gen alpha steering play?

Thanks for the help.

Where is the TWO inches you are referring to measured? Are you talking TWO inches at the rim of the steering wheel OR...? I have an '86 Minx..350 Alpha I. My boat is 15 feet away from where I sit right now..in the garage. I can go out and measure any time. (Engine Off..winterized). John

hot shot
02-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I have a complete steering set up from helm to drive from my 02 22c if interested... Mick

Planetwarmer
02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Where is the TWO inches you are referring to measured? Are you talking TWO inches at the rim of the steering wheel OR...? I have an '86 Minx..350 Alpha I. My boat is 15 feet away from where I sit right now..in the garage. I can go out and measure any time. (Engine Off..winterized). John

2 inches at the steering wheel total movement before anything in the engine compartment moves. It requires the same input when I am driving the boat as well. (2 inches of play at the steering wheel before the steering reacts).

This may be normal, I just have never driven another 87' alpha1

DonziJon
02-08-2009, 02:06 PM
2 inches at the steering wheel total movement before anything in the engine compartment moves. It requires the same input when I am driving the boat as well. (2 inches of play at the steering wheel before the steering reacts).

This may be normal, I just have never driven another 87' alpha1

Just went out and measured the play at the Rim of the steering wheel...to actually move the Drive when observed outside the boat. It's about 2 inches of slop ....maybe 2 1/2, before the drive moves. It's an imprecise measurement. :lookaroun: John

('86 Minx, 350, Alpha I)

EDIT: I have power steering. When I did the meaasurement, the engine was NOT running. I wonder if the slack would be reduced if it was running?

VetteLT193
02-08-2009, 02:50 PM
mine has play but less than 2", probably an inch. I don't have power steering anymore, previous owner took it off. I haven't figured out what to do about that yet though. been searching for a nice hydraulic ram and nothing is cheap.

gcarter
02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
mine has play but less than 2", probably an inch. I don't have power steering anymore, previous owner took it off. I haven't figured out what to do about that yet though. been searching for a nice hydraulic ram and nothing is cheap.
Keep looking. I sold a new one on eBay for 35.00. That's all I could get for it.

VetteLT193
02-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Keep looking. I sold a new one on eBay for 35.00. That's all I could get for it.

I have been on and off for months... I must have missed yours :bonk:

mrfixxall
02-08-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the help.

I have a volvo so it has alot of play..

on the steering rack where the cable attaches,look on the opposite side of it..you will see a piece that threads into the other end,remove the locking screw and with a spanner wrench tighten the threader piece to take up some of the steering slop end reinstall the locking screw..

Planetwarmer
02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I have a volvo so it has alot of play..

on the steering rack where the cable attaches,look on the opposite side of it..you will see a piece that threads into the other end,remove the locking screw and with a spanner wrench tighten the threader piece to take up some of the steering slop end reinstall the locking screw..

Ill have to take a look. I dont remember seeing that. I hope you are right, that would make it too easy!