PDA

View Full Version : Water pressure gauge

VetteLT193
02-06-2009, 07:20 AM
I have a Livorsi/Gaffrig mechanical water pressure gauge that needs to be plumbed in to my 350 chevy / Alpha 1.

I did a bunch of searching but didn't see anyone in my particular situation.

I just installed a Stainless Marine crossover and I can't figure out a place to plumb in the gauge. The gauge has a small brass fitting that I have to screw into something... but where? Can I buy a hose connector that has the fitting T'ed into it? If so, who sells something like this?

What is the best location considering the Crossover? On the hose that runs between the X-over and the new T-stat housing? Before the engine all together? I want the gauge to display raw water flow, so I'll know if something is off with the raw water pump.

BlownCrewCab
02-06-2009, 07:31 AM
The best place to get your water pressure is one of the drains at the bottom of the block, by the oil pan. there's one on each side, take out valve thats in there now and put your barb.

BigGrizzly
02-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Vette, I did mine in the other water temp hole in the intake. In my case it was easier. My true take is that in the hose between the raw water pump and the cross over. This is the thing that matters the most.

The Hedgehog
02-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Vette, I did mine in the other water temp hole in the intake. In my case it was easier. My true take is that in the hose between the raw water pump and the cross over. This is the thing that matters the most.

I think that is where mine is. I can check this weekend.

gcarter
02-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I never installed it, but I was going to install it in the lid of of the sea strainer.
BTW, I gave the gauge (electric and rare) to Poodle to auction.

BlownCrewCab
02-06-2009, 09:48 AM
If you have your pressure tap after the pump, but before the block you could have a Bad T-stat and never know that your just dumping water out the exhaust and not cooling the block (depending on you crossover choice) I'd rather know my block had 5-10psi than knowing the hose going to my motor had 20psi and may not even be connected anymore. Whats the water for? Cooling the black and heads, make sure it's there. would you put your temp sensor in the hose before the motor?

VetteLT193
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM

That's a good spot because I haven't changed that hose yet... how the heck do I connect it is the new issue.

I think that is where mine is. I can check this weekend.

Got pics by chance? what did you use to hook the hose up?

I never installed it, but I was going to install it in the lid of of the sea strainer.
BTW, I gave the gauge (electric and rare) to Poodle to auction.

My dash is all wired except for for the signal wires. After that job, I am now fully in love with mechanical gauges. :nilly:

The Hedgehog
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
That's a good spot because I haven't changed that hose yet... how the heck do I connect it is the new issue.
Got pics by chance? what did you use to hook the hose up?
My dash is all wired except for for the signal wires. After that job, I am now fully in love with mechanical gauges. :nilly:

If I get down there I will get pics.

gcarter
02-06-2009, 04:33 PM
If you have your pressure tap after the pump, but before the block you could have a Bad T-stat and never know that your just dumping water out the exhaust and not cooling the block (depending on you crossover choice) I'd rather know my block had 5-10psi than knowing the hose going to my motor had 20psi and may not even be connected anymore. Whats the water for? Cooling the black and heads, make sure it's there. would you put your temp sensor in the hose before the motor?
...I forgot to mention I had closed cooling....

VetteLT193
02-06-2009, 04:58 PM

I can piss faster than my Alpha 1 can pump water. I'm not running a T-stat as of now. :bonk: I might add one once I actually get things going if things are not in balance.

BigGrizzly
02-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Vette, then your a better man then I am. I do agree with B cab the only thing is that in the pump if you loose a hose you lose pressure in a hurry-Don't ask. I me rethinking the hose before the crossover, I asked Garry today, and he smiled and said use the block sender or the pump hose but most important use your eyes:eek:

MOP
02-06-2009, 08:43 PM
It is best to put you fitting high on the engine, if you use a drain plug it will get gunked up and not work. Most manifolds have a fitting in the water cross over, remove it and bush it down to fit the small gauge fitting any plumbing supply can fix you up.

BigGrizzly
02-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Funny Garry and I were talking about that just yesterday. He still can't believe I pulled the throttle back that fast to save most of the rest of the motor. He told me that Warren Johnson told him I must have the fastest hands on earth. The only thing I can still remember is Scott saying, Holy chit what is that big piece of metal in the bilge. Looking at the gauge saved me over $8,000.