PDA

View Full Version : Texas brothers

Jraysray
02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I can't get my phone to work but with this stretch of good weather coming this weekend anyone interested in running around Clear Lake this weekend? Afternoon cruise Boondoggles/Outriggers. Something easy? Sat/Sun?

JimG
02-06-2009, 07:08 AM
We'll probably go out on Saturday. El Jefe's going out today I think...

fegettes
02-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Since Hurricane Ike, what is the concern about what is in the water that can not be seen?

JimG
02-06-2009, 09:11 AM
It's not too bad. I tend to stick to the channels more now, though. Clear Lake has been pretty well cleared...

Jraysray
02-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Since Hurricane Ike, what is the concern about what is in the water that can not be seen?

Like Jim said its pretty good. I got the game warden to show me the clearest way from Clear lake to Taylor Lake under the bridge around the wrecks. You can get to boondoggles and the rest of Taylor lake.

I can't seem to get a hold of anyone. Chad V is working day's. Don't know where Jefe is. Has Scott V got his boat back together? Jeff H and the rest? Come on guy's short notice but the good weather is short too.

fegettes
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I relocated from Homestead, FL to Baton Rouge at Labor Day on another contract assignment. Dickinson is home and I can get home on weekends, with my work schedule permitting, however I have out of town visitors this weeknd. But, I should be your area the next two weekends. My plan is to spend more weekends at home.

Steve and Melinda

Team Jefe
02-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I should be out on sunday as long as the wind slacks off. I hate this time of year. The temps are ok but the wind sux

JeffH
02-06-2009, 04:23 PM
As luck would have it my boat is at Victory Marine for a little pre season work (my son also has a high school baseball scrimmage on Saturday...but I guess I could miss 1 out of a 100 games :nilly:..if my boat was ready).

Scot's boat isn't running either.

Please, please, let's keep this in mind...with all these guys on the board getting to go to all these AOTH's and dustoff's we need to have a regular contingent right here in Texas! At least within a couple of hundred miles!

I'm on the short list...just not this weekend.

Thanks and safe boating!

JeffH

Jraysray
02-09-2009, 09:17 PM
As luck would have it my boat is at Victory Marine for a little pre season work (my son also has a high school baseball scrimmage on Saturday...but I guess I could miss 1 out of a 100 games :nilly:..if my boat was ready).

Scot's boat isn't running either.

Please, please, let's keep this in mind...with all these guys on the board getting to go to all these AOTH's and dustoff's we need to have a regular contingent right here in Texas! At least within a couple of hundred miles!

I'm on the short list...just not this weekend.

Thanks and safe boating!

JeffH

I'm down but it seems no one can get everyone together. My boat floats and runs. Thats all I can care about right now. Driving down debt is priority one at the present moment.

Jeff maybe you can get us to a lake and together. Just a dirty get together would tickle my fancy. Nothing scripted. Hotel / lake/ float and go. A big production is not really needed is it?

JimG
02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
We had good intentions this weekend, but that whole 25 knot wind thing got in the way!:eek:

fegettes
02-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Jeff maybe you can get us to a lake and together. Just a dirty get together would tickle my fancy. Nothing scripted. Hotel / lake/ float and go. A big production is not really needed is it?

How about a run from the Clear Lake area over to the San Jacinto River some time?

Incidentally, did you read the article in the Chronicle yesterday about the underwater debri cleanup efforts in the Houston Ship Channel? I don't believe it included Clear Lake.

Steve

JeffH
02-10-2009, 02:13 PM
No production needed. I would be happy to get something going but would need to know what ya'll are looking for. Something easy for sure!

Scot suggested going from Galveton to Lake Charles for a night of gambling...only a hundred miles or so, all intercoastal so it should have been cleaned up by now. I like this idea as it gives us plenty of run time and we actually have destination:yes:!

Richland/chambers resevoir is north of here a couple or hours.

Canyon Lake a couple of hours west. Of course Travis is further.

Conroe is...we'll it's Conroe

Heck, I wouldn't mind that day trip to the restaraunt (Dollar Point?)ya'll go to either but I am VERY concerned about underwater debris (I don't think I would be comfortable with a run to the San Jacinto or Trinity river for that matter). I spent 8k getting my boat right and the lower unit is working just fine!

We are now in the "blow zone" so any coastal trip would need to be subject to the wind...I'm in an 18:eek:

As for the debt?...we all need to be working on that with diligence!

Jeff H

Jraysray
02-10-2009, 04:12 PM
No production needed. I would be happy to get something going but would need to know what ya'll are looking for. Something easy for sure!

Scot suggested going from Galveton to Lake Charles for a night of gambling...only a hundred miles or so, all intercoastal so it should have been cleaned up by now. I like this idea as it gives us plenty of run time and we actually have destination:yes:!

Richland/chambers resevoir is north of here a couple or hours.

Canyon Lake a couple of hours west. Of course Travis is further.

Conroe is...we'll it's Conroe

Heck, I wouldn't mind that day trip to the restaraunt (Dollar Point?)ya'll go to either but I am VERY concerned about underwater debris (I don't think I would be comfortable with a run to the San Jacinto or Trinity river for that matter). I spent 8k getting my boat right and the lower unit is working just fine!

We are now in the "blow zone" so any coastal trip would need to be subject to the wind...I'm in an 18:eek:

As for the debt?...we all need to be working on that with diligence!

Jeff H

Honestly, I would perfer a lake. Summerville? Austin? Canyon a maybe, heard water is low but I know of a great lil spot on the water, could even squeeze a river float possibly, far drive though. Never been on Travis so I am wanting a trip there.

Canyon Lake
http://www.drumresorts.com/

fegettes
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I didn' realize you wanted to reach out that far. Lake Travis water is clean and clear and is one of my favorites, and there are many places to stay as well. And megga entertainment on that lake as well. And certainly no debri to be concerned about there. Lake Austin is nice, but the water is cold, coming off of the bottom of Lake Travis. Canyon Lake is big and open and can get windy in just a matter of a few moments. Lake Sommerville is fairly shallow and not as clear as the chain of lakes on the Colorado River.

Steve

Jraysray
02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Austin sounds cool,,,, It's just that we have some nice local'ish donzi's and I have only seen and met a couple of them. Lake Travis is cool!

JimG
02-11-2009, 06:20 AM
Heck, I wouldn't mind that day trip to the restaraunt (Dollar Point?)ya'll go to

I think you are talking about Topwater Grill... it got blown away in IKE! :garfield:

We think it's coming back though...

JeffH
02-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Topwater grill sounds like what scot was talking about.

Travis is by far the nicest lake within a short drive. We had a place at Point Venture growing up but that was years ago. I haven't been on it in at least 20 years or so!

I would be up for Travis! And many miles of shoreline to explore!

It too is cold until about May or so.

Jraysray
02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
I think you are talking about Topwater Grill... it got blown away in IKE! :garfield:

We think it's coming back though...

A contractor of mine wife worked there many years up to the hurricane. He said a no go on the return. Maybe he is wrong but thats about as close to the "horses mouth" as it gets. :frown::frown:

fegettes
02-11-2009, 11:58 AM
A contractor of mine wife worked there many years up to the hurricane. He said a no go on the return. Maybe he is wrong but thats about as close to the "horses mouth" as it gets. :frown::frown:

I went by there weekend before last, and there was a big banner saying that will re-open soon. It better. I miss the stuffed jalapeno's.

Team Jefe
02-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Guys I'm in for anything...the problem we have is we're Texans and not good at herding ourselves...ironic if you think about it.

I know I am not good as a cruise director, and neither is Jimmy or Scot for sure.

So, if somebody takes the lead we'll support the effort:yes:

gcarter
02-11-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm envious of you guys!
You're bringing back a lot of memories.:yes:
Here I am, stuck in Florida w/a boat upside down in my shop!:frown:

If I were there, I'd be thinkin' about Lake Amistad. There's somethin' about the desert. I just love it.
Every time I fly to San Antonio and drive to Big Bend National Park and drive along that lake, I wish I had a boat w/me.
It could be a good long weekend trip. At night you could duck over to Mexico and dodge bullets!:nilly::nilly:

captdennisgray
02-24-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm interested in getting my boat out on the water soon and getting to know a few more Donzi owners... I see this AOTH thing posted but forgive my ignorance,, what does it stand for? I assume it is a big meeting of Donzi owners out for one heck of a weekend.... Plan on having my St Tropez up and running by mid May... look forward to running with the rest of the crowd.....

fegettes
03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I keep thinking about a long weekend at Lake Travis. I have spent many weekends camping at Pace Bend Park, but I like condo camping the best. Any interest out there? Maybe the first part of June?

Here are some good vacation rentals to look at:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/texas/hill-country/lake-travis

https://www.rentalprorentals.com/austinlakeside/search.cfm

http://www.laketravischamber.com/community.aspx

http://www.briarcliffmarina.com/

Steve

Jraysray
03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
I am or should I say we are. The only problem is that the wife got hit with a job loss so we will have to see what our situation is at the time.

Plan on us for the time being!

Scott

Tichavsky
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I would definitely be interested in a Lake Travis trip as well and would like to meet some fellow Donzi owners. So please keep me posted if ya'll decide to do something in June or sometime this summer.

JeffH
03-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Count me in too. I can't schedule much until May due to High School Baseball and daughter graduating.

Let's keep this post running every couple of weeks so we can build up steam:yes:

JH

Jraysray
03-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Looks like 7 boats are interested?? Jray (the pretty one) :rlol:
is working several hospitals so got some cash flow coming in.

This could be a real deal. Looks like Fegettes (SP) has some ideas. I still like the idea of a low stress easy get together. Bring it run it.

On a side note batteries are a chargin' and we are about to go out in the bay. Beautiful weather today. :yes::yes:

txtaz
03-21-2009, 12:29 PM
We should have a new to us boat soon. So we are in for a Austin or SA run.

Da Taz

Jraysray
03-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Our vote would be Austin. Belive it or not I have never been on Lake Travis and want to go BAD!

Canyon lake is below LOW from the stories my buddette (girl) is telling me. She keeps hitting stuff. I do love that lake as well but its a haul for me.

Toobing the rapids would be cool as well....... That would be sweet! boat one or two day's and toob the Guadelupe on a third hit Gruene Hall that night! That's Texas style friend!

http://www.gruenehall.com/
http://www.drumresorts.com/

fegettes
04-06-2009, 04:47 PM
My personal preference to go to Lake Travis is the weekend before, or after a Holiday weekend, and to go on a Full Moon weekend. The weekend after Memorial Day weekend, May the 29th, 30th, & 31st looks good. And the following weekend of June 5th, 6th, & 7th will have a Full Moon.

Are there any supporting requests for either weekend out there? It is time to start making some plans.

Also, I like to get there a day or two early to take advantage of the calmness on the lake, it is sweet to enjoy. And I like to stay on the north end of the lake up around Briarcliff, travel the lake during the week days, and enjoy some of the coves on the north end and the Colorado and Pedernales Rivers when the south end gets congested on the weekend days. These are just some preferences, and there are many places of interest and restaurants to frequent on the lake. I am open for anything, as long as it is safe.

Steve

jimishooch
04-07-2009, 09:17 AM
i live in briarcliff and am on the water, mile marker 26 on lake travis. our marina has the last gas north open on a regular basis and there is a restaurant. my dock is large enough for a tie-off so hopefully you guys will check out briarcliff.
with the ongoing drought ramps will be scarce. i put my minx in at pace bend park last saturday and they had closed one ramp just leaving one open. depending on which way you guys are coming in i can steer you to the open ramps, some charge about $10.
there are condos around this area for rent and there is camping at pace bend.

let me know if you guys need any other info.

thx
jim

Jraysray
04-07-2009, 11:48 AM
My personal preference to go to Lake Travis is the weekend before, or after a Holiday weekend, and to go on a Full Moon weekend. The weekend after Memorial Day weekend, May the 29th, 30th, & 31st looks good. And the following weekend of June 5th, 6th, & 7th will have a Full Moon.

Are there any supporting requests for either weekend out there? It is time to start making some plans.

Also, I like to get there a day or two early to take advantage of the calmness on the lake, it is sweet to enjoy. And I like to stay on the north end of the lake up around Briarcliff, travel the lake during the week days, and enjoy some of the coves on the north end and the Colorado and Pedernales Rivers when the south end gets congested on the weekend days. These are just some preferences, and there are many places of interest and restaurants to frequent on the lake. I am open for anything, as long as it is safe.

Steve

Soooo, why the full moon weekend? Don't need to bring a silver bullet do I? My calendar is open both weekends. I do need to start planning the summer weekends though so this would be a good start.

i live in briarcliff and am on the water, mile marker 26 on lake travis. our marina has the last gas north open on a regular basis and there is a restaurant. my dock is large enough for a tie-off so hopefully you guys will check out briarcliff.
with the ongoing drought ramps will be scarce. i put my minx in at pace bend park last saturday and they had closed one ramp just leaving one open. depending on which way you guys are coming in i can steer you to the open ramps, some charge about $10.
there are condos around this area for rent and there is camping at pace bend.

let me know if you guys need any other info.

thx
jim

This is a great offer, thanks Jim. Sounds like between Steve and Jim we have a lot of lake "Awarness". Lets lock in a weekend and start from there.

jimishooch
04-07-2009, 12:13 PM
the ROT biker rally is the 2nd weekend in june, not that it makes any difference on this side of the lake, but there are alot of bikes on the road that weekend.
if you guys are agreeable we can use my dock and surrounding area as a rendezvous or staging area. only thing missing is a mo/hotel, lakeway and/or marble falls has those.

jim

fegettes
04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
i live in briarcliff and am on the water

I am trully envious Jim. I can hardly wait to get back up there. Briarcliff has some great condos over looking the lake that we have stayed in, and the boat docks are great too.

I have seen the water level about 80' down a few years ago. How bad is it now?

Steve

jimishooch
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I am trully envious Jim. I can hardly wait to get back up there. Briarcliff has some great condos over looking the lake that we have stayed in, and the boat docks are great too.

I have seen the water level about 80' down a few years ago. How bad is it now?

Steve

you must be thinking of these; www.austinlakeside.com (http://www.austinlakeside.com) , these condos are right next door to briarcliff on the mainbody. am assuming a slip comes with.
the lake is down 27' right now but was down close to 40' 2 years ago before the refill (flood). travis still has alot of water to play in.

jim

fegettes
04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
you must be thinking of these; www.austinlakeside.com (http://www.austinlakeside.com) , these condos are right next door to briarcliff on the mainbody. am assuming a slip comes with.
the lake is down 27' right now but was down close to 40' 2 years ago before the refill (flood). travis still has alot of water to play in.

jim

Yes.

We have stayed here a few times, and they were nice. Generally only one boat slip comes with each condo, however, if there was an used boat slip we would take advantage of it.

Point Venture has some very good Townhouses as well.

Steve

jimishooch
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
these rental condos are on the north side of the lake across from pace bend. slips available, i believe the bar is open now.

http://www.theislandonlaketravis.com/

JeffH
04-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Hey guys... This looks like alot of fun! Weekends are filling fast though. Somebody pick a date so we can get something lined up!

I too would like to get there early...boat on a Friday morning without the traffic...then hide! Condo # 2 looks great and my wife would love that. I plan on burning some fuel so it doesn't matter as I won't be there much anyway:yes:. I like the bar idea though.

Jraysray
04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey guys... This looks like alot of fun! Weekends are filling fast though. Somebody pick a date so we can get something lined up!

I too would like to get there early...boat on a Friday morning without the traffic...then hide! Condo # 2 looks great and my wife would love that. I plan on burning some fuel so it doesn't matter as I won't be there much anyway:yes:. I like the bar idea though.

I vote last weekend in MAY. Austin during the ROT ralley is insane.

Jraysray
04-07-2009, 08:46 PM

FYI,
Just got word that the place is framed up and will be back in action soon. Now back to that Austin thing.....

fegettes
04-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Let's make it the last weekend May, the 29th and 30th. However, I will be there Thursday the 28th to take advantage of smooth water of the lake.

Incidentally, the Island on Lake Travis is an awesome place. Initially it was built to be an expensive/exclusive retirement community and all villas were only available on a lease, sort of a place where the wealthy retired people could be very comfortable. Looks like the rent is a little cheaper than Briarcliff, or Whitecliff. I believe I will reserve a villa.

Steve
281-728-1704 Cell
225-381-5610 Office

jimishooch
04-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Let's make it the last weekend May, the 29th and 30th. However, I will be there Thursday the 28th to take advantage of smooth water of the lake.

Incidentally, the Island on Lake Travis is an awesome place. Initially it was built to be an expensive/exclusive retirement community and all villas were only available on a lease, sort of a place where the wealthy retired people could be very comfortable. Looks like the rent is a little cheaper than Briarcliff, or Whitecliff. I believe I will reserve a villa.

Steve
281-728-1704 Cell
225-381-5610 Office

are they charging for slips? the island has a ramp but i don't know if it is still operating with low water. make sure you ask they for an alternative ramp.

jim

fegettes
04-08-2009, 08:15 AM
are they charging for slips? the island has a ramp but i don't know if it is still operating with low water. make sure you ask they for an alternative ramp.

jim

I have been in contact with Heidi Barrick from there and here are two of her responses.

Thanks so much for your inquiry. We actually do have boat slips available. The boat slip is $30 a day. However, a boat slip does come free with a three night stay with Villas 1109, 2110, and 3304 only. I did check and all three of these villas are available. If you know how many couples are going to be coming, I could try to get your rooms close to each other. Is this for a family reunion? Please give me a call if you have any further questions or would like to make reservations.

Our boat ramp to put the boats in is currently beached.. However, there is another boat ramp that we have access to that is 1/2 mile down the road.

jimishooch
04-08-2009, 08:18 AM
cool.......

fegettes
04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
FYI.

After pricing some of these condo and villa rates for a weekend with the added on 12% tax and cleaning fees, and some places the extra docking fees, it may get a little pricey. There is still Pace Bend Park if you like camping, and we have spent a few years group camping here and have had a blast.

jimishooch
04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
there is also the mo/hotel route. marble falls is 15 minutes to the north and lakeway 15 minutes to the south from briarcliff. lakeway will be more expensive.
google for accommodations.
i can also help if anybody wants to leave their donzi in the water tied to my dock (bring cover). i've never had a problem in 5 years in this cove. i also have room for trailers across the street.

no excuses now

jim

Jraysray
04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I need to yank mine out of the water overnight. I need access to a ramp.

Team Jefe
04-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Folks -this sounds like a great time, but I will be hard pressed to make the last weekend of May since I will have just come off over a week's vacation attending AOTH and the Houma Oilmen's Fishing Rodeo. AND that is the week of month end closures for me so i'll be VERY busy at work.:rolleyes:

Obviously, don't make a change just for me. I can probably come up Friday evening or Saturday morning for a fun day on the water.