PDA

View Full Version : new truck prices

Ghost
02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
If anyone has any advice on the ideal bid for a new Ford truck, I'm all ears.

The one I'm looking at is a 2008 f-150, new, 40k MSRP. I've seen some of these with advertised prices on the net at about 11k under that, or roughly 29k. I imagine something below that would move it, but not sure how much under.

(If it sounds like I'm abusing a position of advantage, take comfort that I will completely take it in the shorts selling my current car, and am making a concerted effort to cut sitting American inventory even though I probably should hold on to every penny.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice. -Mike

FISHIN SUCKS
02-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey Mike, if you were lookin at a bowtie, I have a good inside track (my good friend owns the dealership). But I don't know anyone in the blue oval circle (does that make sense, oval,circle:confused:).

Ghost
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks Tom, and if I shift gears and look the GM way I'll lob up another post. Haven't totally ruled them out. (For some weird freaking reason, we don't seem to have a strong dealer presence close to me. Our big Chevy dealer in town turned into all BMW/Mini some years back, and nobody really filled the void. Weird-a$$ People's Republic of MD.)

For now I think I see a Ford I'd like, just need to decide on a bid...

FISHIN SUCKS
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Good luck in your endeavors my friend! Will this be your ride to AOTH, or are ya flyin' in? Either way, will have a couple of seats waitin' for you and fo yo woman!

tom

Ghost
02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks, looking forward to it. Driving for sure (gotta be able to haul in some serious bevvies), so if the truck deal happens, that'll be the ride. Otherwise It'll still be the Boxster. Either way I'm just hoping my wife doesn't get forced in on strike coverage that weekend...crossing my fingers.

Tony
02-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I could have had an '08 XLT Screw for $24k, instead I bought an '07 with low miles for 16. The 2008's are becoming scarce...dealers are (were) quite anxious to dump them as the '09's arrived.

Unless it is an FX4 or a Lariat, my guess is that they will come down a lot lower than $29k.
Offer 24 and walk...they will call you shortly thereafter.

:beer:

Ghost
02-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks Tony, appreciate your thoughts. (Turns out it is an FX4, so perhaps I won't get too far below 29, but can't hurt to try.) -Mike

CHACHI
02-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Mike, bought an '08 F-150 Lariat in July, just before the employee pricing was to end. Retail was in the low 40's. With the rebates and other incentives the retail dropped 10K, I traded in a 2000 F-250 Powerstroke, they gave me $9500 it. The dealer wouldn't move another 10 cents.

As Tony said, they are getting scarce, in July, I flew to Pittsburg to drive home the one I wanted (500 miles one way) 18 MPG at 73 MPH.

Ken

VetteLT193
02-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Or look used. OffleaseOnly just had a Lincoln Mark LT with 11k miles for $17k. Tough to beat a totally loaded out F150 with a 4 year 50k mile warranty for that kind of dough.

mike o
02-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Or look used. OffleaseOnly just had a Lincoln Mark LT with 11k miles for $17k. Tough to beat a totally loaded out F150 with a 4 year 50k mile warranty for that kind of dough........ I had 2 Z71 Chevy's and bought a fx4, all short beds. The fx4 is very stiff, Ya feel every crack in the road it seems compared to the Z71's. The 18' tires are cheap to replace either when its time. The engagement of the of the 4 wheel drive is a vacuum deal(?) with the ford and they is a delay for it to engage. The Chevy's are electric and engage instantly.

Carl C
02-06-2009, 07:44 AM
I just bought a new 2008 F-150 4x4, loaded, list price w/bedliner about $35,000. Got it for $24,000 out the door, tax, title etc included! Shop around some more. Look at rural dealers that are motivated to move the '08s.

Ghost
02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks all, this stuff is VERY helpful. -Mike

VetteLT193
02-06-2009, 11:45 AM
....... I had 2 Z71 Chevy's and bought a fx4, all short beds. The fx4 is very stiff, Ya feel every crack in the road it seems compared to the Z71's. The 18' tires are cheap to replace either when its time. The engagement of the of the 4 wheel drive is a vacuum deal(?) with the ford and they is a delay for it to engage. The Chevy's are electric and engage instantly.

I assume you meant to say the 18" tires areN'T cheap to replace. I bought a set of 22" wheels and tires for my Navigator for less than just new 18" tires. ridiculous prices on those dadgum tires.

The Mark LT usually has 20" wheels, at least the one at Offleaseonly did... I'm not sure what suspension it has Vs. F150, but I assume being a Lincoln it's something in the softer variety.

I'm usually a Chevy guy, but I couldn't find a Chevy/GM product that could match the prices. My biggest complaint of the Navigator is the interior is laid out like crap. Chevy has much better interior layouts for actual people (lots of cubby's, holders, etc). Ford/Lincoln has better looking interiors on the lot (clean, smooth, uncluttered)

Carl C
02-06-2009, 12:12 PM
....... I had 2 Z71 Chevy's and bought a fx4, all short beds. The fx4 is very stiff, Ya feel every crack in the road it seems compared to the Z71's. The 18' tires are cheap to replace either when its time. The engagement of the of the 4 wheel drive is a vacuum deal(?) with the ford and they is a delay for it to engage. The Chevy's are electric and engage instantly. There are different types of 4WD. My new Ford has a shift lever w/ 2WD, 4WD, neutral and 4 low. You can shift on the fly but 4WD is for slick surfaces only. There are no vacuum or electric solonoids that I am aware of, just a lever direct to the transfer case. Also, I prefer the part time 4WD because it means there is no clutch or fluid coupler in the transfer case to fail. The only part I don't like is that I cannot disengage the front hubs.

Tony
02-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I think the FX4 has features that the off-roaders prefer.
Sits up a bit higher, stiffer suspension, skid plates, and geared down with a 4.10 axle ratio.
The XLT offers 3.55 or 3.73 ratios...

:beer:

CHACHI
02-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Went thru two set of auto hubs in my 2000 F-250.
When the second set quit working I went to manual, no more issues.

Ken

Ghost
02-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Went and looked at some Chevys today. Liked what I found, but it was all 2009, with nowhere near the play the Ford guys have on the 08s.

Ghost
02-10-2009, 10:40 PM
The Porsche is gone, long live the Chevy. Thanks folks for your thoughts. Between the sales mgr at the local dealer wanting my Porsche for himself, and a sensible law change (taxes on delta between trade and purchase), it actually made sense to trade in, something I NEVER do.

After a ton of looking and driving I really liked the Silverados best. Due to a particular loaded black 2500 they wanted to move, I bought a slightly heavier duty truck than I might have, but I dig it, and it should do anything I ask and more.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Congratulations Mike!!! I realize I could drive by a dealership and see what it looks like, but how about some photo's? Have your wife model it.....you know, like, have her crawling across the hood or something:pimp:

Ghost
02-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks man, I'll see about snapping some pics tomorrow. (BTW, Lisa LOVES it. She's always been a big-a$$-truck fan. I don't think she wanted to climb out and come back in the house when we got home.)

Now I need to start on a few mods to the garage so it'll fit...

Lenny
02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Hate to "burst" your bubble, but I have a 2500 Chevy 4x4 (2008) gas, outside right now, work truck, and I did not have to pay for it. Locally it is a $52,000 truck :eek: (that is a Canadian thing) Anyways, when it snowed here just before Christmas I could not (yes, hubs locked, low, high, whatever) get anywheres near my house or get home from work. Gerry and I tried for about 30 minutes one day to get up my driveway. We laughed our heads off, and joked about how stupid this was. Anyways, we never did get up my driveway, no matter how much damage we inflicted on the Chebby... Deneen (wife) spent three days in town (at sea level) where it did not snow much. I looked after the dog. :rolleyes:

Too low to the ground I believe and that GIANT front bumper (call it plow) does nothing for helping you move forward.

We ended up using the front end (a Lease and not my Lease) to fly through huge snowplow piles in front of the Mailboxes so that the local mail carrier could actually stop there and do his job. I contacted the Post Office to see why we had no mail after two weeks. They told me the mailbox was impassable and they could not deliver until cleared. A LOT of fast, front end smashing snow destruction and bumper damage later in the Chevy, we got our mail... ;)

I think you will be fine if it does not snow. (wet snow like here)

Living in Maryland I kind of doubt it. Maybe it is a tires thing?

Sorry, but I wouldn't have one. I'd rather the Porsche and walk home when it snows once every 10 years.

Donzi Vol
02-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Glad to see you're pleased with your purchase. Car buying can be incredibly stressful. Last week we had some pretty good snow, and I was VERY satisfied with the way that my Z71 Colorado handled it. It seemed like all slipping was gone as soon as I punched the 4x4 button. I actually took a detour during work to find some solid white roads to play on. haha!

Ghost
02-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Hate to "burst" your bubble, but I have a 2500 Chevy 4x4 (2008) gas, outside right now, work truck, and I did not have to pay for it. Locally it is a $52,000 truck :eek: (that is a Canadian thing) Anyways, when it snowed here just before Christmas I could not (yes, hubs locked, low, high, whatever) get anywheres near my house or get home from work. Gerry and I tried for about 30 minutes one day to get up my driveway. We laughed our heads off, and joked about how stupid this was. Anyways, we never did get up my driveway, no matter how much damage we inflicted on the Chebby... Deneen (wife) spent three days in town (at sea level) where it did not snow much. I looked after the dog. :rolleyes:

Too low to the ground I believe and that GIANT front bumper (call it plow) does nothing for helping you move forward.

We ended up using the front end (a Lease and not my Lease) to fly through huge snowplow piles in front of the Mailboxes so that the local mail carrier could actually stop there and do his job. I contacted the Post Office to see why we had no mail after two weeks. They told me the mailbox was impassable and they could not deliver until cleared. A LOT of fast, front end smashing snow destruction and bumper damage later in the Chevy, we got our mail... ;)

I think you will be fine if it does not snow. (wet snow like here)

Living in Maryland I kind of doubt it. Maybe it is a tires thing?

Sorry, but I wouldn't have one. I'd rather the Porsche and walk home when it snows once every 10 years.

No apologies needed, quite the reverse--I'm all about candor. What you said about tires did strike me. That was my first thought when reading your post. Audis have historically been one of the cars where many folks with their first AWD go nuts thinking they have a good snow car, only to find out that 4x0=0 when you have performance tires on it. My wife's Ford Escape equivalent is also famous for this. 4x4 is fine, but the factory tires are less than useless in the snow. My RWD Boxster with my Pirelli Wintersports would do better.

But in line with your post, I suppose it is also possible that the tires were fine and the snow was too deep. I would think with deep enough snow, especially heavy wet snow, anything without enough clearance is likely to be toast. I had fun back about 1999 when we had a couple feet of snow here, and my brother had left me his Jeep. Most everything around here was too short of clearance (among other things) and got nowhere. I spent two days driving nurses to and from work. If you thought a dog park was a great place to meet women...

Or maybe the Chevy just comes up short. Hope not, but what do I know? But like you say, around here it should be fine anyhow.

Glad to see you're pleased with your purchase. Car buying can be incredibly stressful. Last week we had some pretty good snow, and I was VERY satisfied with the way that my Z71 Colorado handled it. It seemed like all slipping was gone as soon as I punched the 4x4 button. I actually took a detour during work to find some solid white roads to play on. haha!

Glad to hear it. I'm practically praying for snow, just for a chance to d1ck around with the new toy.

Decided to quit waiting on sun and try the camera in the dark....here's what I got on that front. Oh, for details, it's a Silverado 2500 Z71 LTZ, 6.0 gas, extended cab, 6.5 foot bed, graphite black on black. Hard to see in the dark.

Craig S
02-11-2009, 07:20 AM
nas truk!

especially in black.

Ghost
02-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Here are a few quick shots. (Sorry Tom, no old-school-Tawny-Kitaen routine on the hood yet. But it's early.)

Lenny
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
My work one is the same but a longbox. 5.4 I believe. About 75 feet long it seems.

zelatore
02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I'll try not to hold the Chebby thing against you. It'll be hard, but I'll try.

(The fact that you traded a perfectly good Porsche for it makes it all that much harder, but then again I sold a '68 911 and bought a Lightning once.)

As for the snow, it's all about tires. And if you get enough of it, ground clearance. But mostly it's tires. I once got that Lightning stuck on a barely snowed-over road and had a local farmer come pull me out with his ratty, rusty, stock Chevy 4wd. He just drove down the road until he got behind me, hooked a chain from his front bumper to my rear, and backed out until I was on clear road. I made some sort of remark about 'well, with 4wd and all...' to which he responded 'heck boy, I didn't even put it in 4wd'. Then I took a look at the tall narrow heavily lugged tires he had vs the wide low-profile summer performance tires I had and it all became clear.

Donzi Vol
02-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Ghost, good looking truck! Motor Trend truck of the year for 2008 (pretty sure). I think it was mostly for the new body style.

I agree about the tires, and some weight in the back end helps a lot too. I had a Chevy blazer a while back and I tried my best to get it to spin in the snow in 2wd and never could. I didn't need 4x4 on that truck...but it was there just in case. But now the 350 V8 Silverado that I had before that with nothing in the back end...that's a different story. That one would sit and spin all day with a good rain!

Ghost
02-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks all. Managed to get it into the garage after about 4 hours of work rearranging this evening.

Now I need a shorty antenna and a few mods to my door setup, and a hanging tennis ball, and I'll be all set for the day-to-day.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Tires.........and driving ability (common sense). Look at how many morons w/4x4 suv's that get stuck with a little bit of snow on the road. 4 hi and 4 low can make a huge difference when trying to get out of a jamb, but again, you have to know how to use it.

Good lookin' truck Mike! So are ya gonna pimp it up with some blinged wheels or leave it stock?

Now about this Lisa/Tawny hood photo shoot thing, don't dissappoint us. What, is it a 'too cold outside' excuse or what? She should explore her inner-self with this opportunity:kingme:

Ghost
02-12-2009, 11:44 AM
LOL, I'll see what I (read: she) can (read: will) do... :)

As far as bling, I'd need to jack up the garage to lift it, so that's out. I'd consider silver bowties instead of the gold ones, and I like clean paint, so I might pull the Z71 stickers. The next wheel option is only an inch larger, and with it being a 3/4 ton truck with an already stiff ride, probably isn't worth the cake to me.

I am shopping for a different antenna so I can fit in the garage easily, and I expect I'll get a bed liner--not all that exciting. Maybe a cargo box too. But for the most part, I need to take the cash and pay off the truck and pay for the real project: pimping my house. (Leftovers will be spent trying to get the Nova up to 50+ MPH where it should be.)