PDA

View Full Version : Fast Food.....

Donziweasel
02-04-2009, 01:01 PM
I got into a bad habit this fall. I started eating fast food, primarily McDonalds, 5 days a week for lunch. Not only that, I think I was addicted to it. I craved grease! So, from September to when I got back from my road trip to see Lenny, Jeremy, and Mark, I put on almost 20 pounds! Worse part was my face got really fat, along with my belly. I was at maximun density when I got back from seeing the guys in BC going from 180 pounds to 201!

Well, I started eating sandwinches, my favorite is Boars Head pastrami turkey on wheat, everyday. I did not really cut down on how much I eat, just the type of food. Well, since December 15, I have lost 12 pounds. Not only that, I had McDonalds for the first time in a couple of months yesterday and it really did not taste very good, well, except maybe for them fries!

Jraysray
02-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I think Jefe has a better reason not to eat there. I'll let him explain.

gcarter
02-04-2009, 01:44 PM
We saw Jefe at Wayne's party.
He kind of looked like he'd been goin' to Mickey D's too.

Of course I have a lot of room to talk.

handfulz28
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the reminder...it's 49 cent Wednesday!!
:toiletpap

Donzi Vol
02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
For me, gaining and losing weight is all about the little things. Granted, fast food everyday is a really bad idea...for many health reasons. But I feel sorry for people who go on ridiculous diet plans, losing only 5 lb, rather than focusing on the simple things. Now, I'm fat right now...not gonna lie. But, I know how to take it off (motivation, where art thou?!)

1) fried foods once a week (we all jones for it!)
2) cut out ALL soft drinks. "diet" just means it tastes bad
3) don't eat carbs (or anything if possible) a couple hours before you go to bed. It just sits there all night
4) drink a lot of water, especially right before bed

Combine that with some exercise and you should be good to go.

Now some food trivia for you (I'm full of those!). McDonald's is cheap, right? Well the french fries they buy are the most expensive on the market. Of course what keeps people coming back? Hmmm...

CHACHI
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Has anybody ever seen "Supersize Me", about a guy who ate every meal for a month at McDonalds?

Ken

Tony
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Has anybody ever seen "Supersize Me", about a guy who ate every meal for a month at McDonalds?

Ken

That is a crazy movie! One would likely never eat fast food again after watching it.

Our nation used to be one of the fittest in the world, now our position has reversed. Childhood obesity is growing at an alarming rate, leading to an increased need for future health care costs. Eating habits, couch-potato time (TV, video games, internet, etc.), lack of exercise...all contribute to this dilemma. Parents aren't setting a very good example, and schools often cut physical education requirements because of budget constraints.

Interestingly, one of the most reliable predictors of school success is how frequently a family sits down together for meals.

:beer:

mrfixxall
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I got into a bad habit this fall. I started eating fast food, primarily McDonalds, 5 days a week for lunch. Not only that, I think I was addicted to it. I craved grease! So, from September to when I got back from my road trip to see Lenny, Jeremy, and Mark, I put on almost 20 pounds! Worse part was my face got really fat, along with my belly. I was at maximun density when I got back from seeing the guys in BC going from 180 pounds to 201!
Well, I started eating sandwinches, my favorite is Boars Head pastrami turkey on wheat, everyday. I did not really cut down on how much I eat, just the type of food. Well, since December 15, I have lost 12 pounds. Not only that, I had McDonalds for the first time in a couple of months yesterday and it really did not taste very good, well, except maybe for them fries!

This will make you think twice the next time you bite in to a 1/4 pounder with cheeze :) Just a rumor..

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/f/foreignbeef.htm

Donziweasel
02-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I will say I typically pack on about 5-8 pounds in the winter out here. Pretty much anyone who has lived here 3 or 4 years or more does. Seems you body knows winter is a coming and needs that fat layer to keep ya warm. Dissapears in the spring.

4) drink a lot of water, especially right before bed

Something that is of real importance out here with humidity rates around 0%. I preach to everyone to drink gobs of water but don't drink enough myself. Kinda one of those "Do as I say, not as I do" things.

McGary911
02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
It's funny. I admit my eating habits aren't as good as they could be, but I really don't do fast food. Last time I did, i really felt sick to my stomach. I think you have to build up a tolerance to it. Maybe the craving comes with the tolerance? KFC maybe once a month. That's it.

A great read is the BOOK fast food nation. Gives some real insight into some of the fast food companies. Not all bad either, just interesting stuff how they produce all that food at that speed at, those volumes. I don't mean the movie. That movie has nothing to do with the book. It's kind of stupid.

DonziJon
02-04-2009, 06:20 PM
We used to like Wendy's Chili on rare ocassions....Don't usually eat lunch on weekends except... maybe... when we were out for a Sunday ride.....Then we started noticing WHO is serving up the stuff. Rarely go to fast food anymore. We just skip lunch altogether. Less is better.

Much of eating is a Habit. You eat just because you think.. It's Time to eat..MUST EAT.. Don't want to die.: :yes: John

Donzi Vol
02-04-2009, 09:59 PM
This will make you think twice the next time you bite in to a 1/4 pounder with cheeze :) Just a rumor..

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/f/foreignbeef.htm

I've never heard that before, but I suppose it is possible. That post was updated in 2002 (date at the bottom) so I'm sure that something has changed since then. What I can say is that the US beef market is becoming more and more scarce. It's not a crisis, which is why prices are still relatively low, but look for it to start creeping up soon.

BigGrizzly
02-05-2009, 10:30 AM
WELL, WELL DW if grease is what you prefer, when you get here for a visit we can go to the VARSITY For chilly dog rings and fries.:kingme:

Donziweasel
02-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Ahhhh, the Varsity. Is there a better onion ring and chilly dog on the planet? Downtown or out by I-85, best damn fast food there is.

Fast food I miss out West in order of how much I like them-

1. The Varsity
2. Krystal
3. Chick Filet

we have none of these out west.

I try and hit all 3 when I visit Atlanta.

gcarter
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
The fast food boys have ben buying beef from my buddies ranches in Venezuela for YEARS....

I hope your buddy continues to own his ranches for years to come!

But that's a whole different subject, isn't it?

zelatore
02-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Ahhhh, the Varsity. Is there a better onion ring and chilly dog on the planet? Downtown or out by I-85, best damn fast food there is.
Fast food I miss out West in order of how much I like them-
1. The Varsity
2. Krystal
3. Chick Filet
we have none of these out west.
I try and hit all 3 when I visit Atlanta.

Yeah, but they don't have In & Out do they?

Best d@mn burger on the market!

(now I've done it....I'm hungry, it's almost lunch time, and there's no In&Out nearby!)

Donziweasel
02-05-2009, 02:11 PM

I have only been to one, in Vegas. Never even heard of it, then a freind from San Fran who had met me there said we had to go.

Unbelievable! Now that IS a damn good burger!

CHACHI
02-05-2009, 02:25 PM

(now I've done it....I'm hungry, it's almost lunch time, and there's no In&Out nearby!)
Wearing an In & Out t-shirt at this very moment(Arizona).

On a two week road trip and by the time I am done, White Castle, Steak and Shake, St. Elmos's, P.F. Chang's, Izzy's and Mongomery's Boat House will all get my money. Fourty plus meals on the road, yahoo!

Ken

Ghost
02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
5 Guys is growing fast and worth noting. Not sure how far they have made it around the country yet. Fudd's has long been a good burger but a weird place I don't really like to be. Cheeburger Cheeburger has pretty good stuff too. (I like In & Out but they haven't come here--had to check if I was wearing their T-shirt right now too.)

Lenny
02-05-2009, 03:43 PM
2 Whoppers for 3 bucks Wednesday :) :)

Dog ate REAL well today, got him a couple plain ones, and fed him my second ones bun :) :)

Yeah but, will he/she eat the pickle ?

John, Deneen is doing the Dr. Bernsteins diet thing. Has been since about 2 months before my (our) Wedding. ( that would be June/08 )

Anyways she is now down 40, YES 40, pounds and healthy as can be. Great foods she can eat too. Misses out on very little. Goes to the gym every day too. I think I am one of the few that got married and it got BETTER. :yes:

Lenny
02-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Wearing an In & Out t-shirt at this very moment(Arizona).

I always hit that place when in California. It should be the States official Burger joint. Lettuce burger is my favorite, "#2 protein Burger" is the official lingo.

I think "Ruths Chris" sliders are to die for :yes:

CHACHI
02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
5 Guys is growing fast and worth noting. Not sure how far they have made it around the country yet. Fudd's has long been a good burger but a weird place I don't really like to be. Cheeburger Cheeburger has pretty good stuff too. (I like In & Out but they haven't come here--had to check if I was wearing their T-shirt right now too.)
5 Guys is in CT.. Another good burger.

Ken

Donziweasel
02-05-2009, 04:41 PM
John, Deneen is doing the Dr. Bernsteins diet thing. Has been since about 2 months before my (our) Wedding. ( that would be June/08 )
Anyways she is now down 40, YES 40, pounds and healthy as can be. Great foods she can eat too. Misses out on very little. Goes to the gym every day too. I think I am one of the few that got married and it got BETTER.

I thought she looked great when I met her. She is a great person Lenny, you are one lucky guy!

Now, she may have lost 40 pounds, and I think I know where it went............Boo Boo! :bonk:

Wearing a CCA shirt today, long sleeve no less

Long Johns, long sleeve shirt, down jacket, hat, gloves.........bite me.:wink:

One of my passions being from the southeast is Mayonaise. Man, I love that stuff! I know it is horrible for you, and I have cut down, but I love Hellmans, Kraft can bite me also. Put Mayo on everything, Boo Boo thinks I am crazy. Cowboys just don't get it, always wondered if it was a southern thing or what.

BUIZILLA
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Fox's Sherron Inn, South Miami

Backyard Burgers, Franklin TN

Montana Grille, Bowling Green KY

Keg South, Kendall

some damn place on Beale St., Memphis

Stockyard, KS City, KS.

another damn BBQ place in Owensboro, KY

CHACHI
02-05-2009, 05:09 PM
One of my passions being from the southeast is Mayonaise.

I think mayonaise has it's own food group and will soon have a block in the food pyramid according to the Dept of Agriculture.

Second the Hellmans and opinion on Kraft.

Ken

Ghost
02-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Krazy Jim's Blimpyburger, Ann Arbor, MI

Get a fried egg on it, among other things...

BigGrizzly
02-05-2009, 05:29 PM
John there is another one by the North point mall, at 400 and Hains bridge. I am going there tomorrow with some Guys from Honda.

gcarter
02-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I put salsa on everything...breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Preferably Pace's...it comes from San Antonio, my birthplace.
Healthier than mayonaise, I mean a lot healthier.

I guess we could discuss hot sauces...I like Cholula, Crystal, Tabasco Chipotle.....

Donziweasel
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Second the Hellmans and opinion on Kraft.

Yeah, something ain't right with ole' Kraft. Too thin, kinda like a salad dressing. Out here Hellmans is labled as "Best Food Mayonaise", but it is made by Hellmans. I swear, if I could not have found some good ole' Hellmans out here, I might have moved back to Atlanta in 1994.

Also, I convinced our grocery store to carry Durkee Sauce. MMMMMM....... Nothing beats some Durkee and Mayo on a turkey, ham, or roast beef sandwinch.

Ghost
02-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Like the Cholula. And for whatever reason the various habenero sauces with carrot bases seem to have better flavor to me than Tabasco, which I always thought was overrated. (That may draw some fire.)

Also, regarding the earlier mayonnaise commentary, I concur that perhaps it is a southern thing (perhaps just what one is raised on). For me it is mayo never "salad dressing"/miracle whip, and Hellman's not anybody else's except in emergencies. Awesome as a french fry condiment, probably worse for you bacon grease.

gcarter
02-05-2009, 06:05 PM
[quote=Ghost;493062]Like the Cholula. And for whatever reason the various habenero sauces with carrot bases seem to have better flavor to me than Tabasco, which I always thought was overrated. (That may draw some fire.)quote]

You may not be familiar with the Tabasco Chipotle product....It has a label that looks charred. The sauce is darker, not as hot, and
has a nice smokey taste.

Ghost
02-05-2009, 06:08 PM
You may not be familiar with the Tabasco Chipotle product....It has a lable that looks charred. The sause is darker, not as hot, and has a nice smokey taste.

Cool--I wasn't sure I read that right the first time, but now I get it. Will give it a shot, since I like a lot of the chipotle-seasoned salsas, with flavors just like you describe. (The green Tabasco works for me at times too.)

FISHIN SUCKS
02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
OHHHHH Man, now don't nobody go hatin' on In-N-Out burger, I love that place. Fortunately I don't hit them too often because it is a West Coast chain. The concept and the food is great!

I make it a point when I buy my customers donuts, not to eat one.......why......'cause you are what you eat.........and I don't want to wear that 1973 government imposed 5 MPH bumper around my waist:kingme:!

DonziJon
02-05-2009, 06:35 PM
For you people that need to cut back: Here's a little procedure I use when I need to go to the Doc for a cholesterol test....which he makes me do every six months if I want the Lipitor. My cholesterol usually "tests" below 200....but not without terrable sacrifice. Two weeks before I go for the test I start cutting back on the stuff I normally eat the rest of the time. CHEATING? Yup. I'm an excellent patient.:yes:

My normal diet is very conservative anyway...who would of thunk? Chicken and fish....Salmon is a favorite...sometimes beef. Pizza (small.. shared) no more than once a week. An ocassional Martini every night. :lookaroun: John

gold-n-rod
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
I put Tabasco on damn near everything.... Eggs, fish, steamed veggies, potatoes, burritos.....

Minimal sodium (esp. compared to Franks) and it adds a great kick!!! :wink:

zelatore
02-05-2009, 06:44 PM
another damn BBQ place in Owensboro, KY

Owensboro, KY you say? That's my old territory. (and home to a certain mor'cicle racin' family)

FISHIN SUCKS
02-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Buiz, you can't be hatin' on BBQ.......especially in Owensboro. Don, What's the name of that place that's got 'moon' - somethin' in the name of it? not fast food, but set down, buffet style. That place is so authentic, they even have sorgam on the buffet....what the hell is that? Love that place. Just up the street from the Holiday Inn Express on the south side of town.

zelatore
02-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Good Lord, it's been 15+ years since I was in Owensboro! I'm lucky to remember where I ate last week!

Besides, I spent more time in Henderson than Owensboro - it was closer to Evansville.

Now if you want to talk Evansville, I can't go back there and not get a pizza from Turoni's out by the stadium...

DonziJon
02-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Buiz, you can't be hatin' on BBQ.......especially in Owensboro. Don, What's the name of that place that's got 'moon' - somethin' in the name of it? not fast food, but set down, buffet style. That place is so authentic, they even have sorgam on the buffet....what the hell is that? Love that place. Just up the street from the Holiday Inn Express on the south side of town.

MOON PIES??? John

BUIZILLA
02-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Evansville?? you know the family that owns the Chry-Ply-Jeep store there? I raced NMCA with them... the Duell's... father-son team... great people..

Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro... home of the Mutton

zelatore
02-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Evansville?? you know the family that owns the Chry-Ply-Jeep store there? I raced NMCA with them... the Duell's... father-son team... great people..

Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro... home of the Mutton

Moonlite - that rings a bell! There was another BBQ place on the north side of Evansvile that was pretty good too. I could probably still drive right to it, but heck if I recall the name.

Don't know any of the dealers in E-ville. Better chance my dad does - he raced Harleys back there for years before getting married, then he hung it up "because a married man doesn't do that sort of thing".

Lenny
02-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Man, you guys are making me freakin hungry.

Ed Donnelly
02-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Can't stand it any longer........

Just have to mention the Ontario burger joint

WEBERS.........

I know there are a few members here that have stopped off on Hwy11:cool!:.Ed

Jraysray
02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
The fast food boys have been buying beef from my buddies ranches in Venezuela for YEARS....

Ditto.... Jeannette was just telling me that one of her patients owns a mega ranch there. Said he has been selling beef to the U.S. amongst other countries for a long time.

On a side note just got in from a run and workout and guess what was on the table. Sonic burger and tots! Damn it! I couldnt resist. I'm with JEFE on my favorite burger. Napoleon give me some TOT's!

She ate a diet meal.......

CHACHI
02-05-2009, 07:44 PM

WEBERS.........:cool!:.Ed

Is that the joint with the walk way over the highway in Orillia?

Ken

Ed Donnelly
02-05-2009, 07:52 PM
You got it Ken :cool!:....Ed

Donziweasel
02-05-2009, 07:53 PM
And I am the one trying to stay off the stuff.........:bonk: Damn, a cheese Krystal would go down real nice right now.

BTW, those McDonalds homestyle chicken sandwinches are not as good as a chick filet....waffle fries.....

BUIZILLA
02-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Sonic #2 with salsa

CHACHI
02-05-2009, 08:10 PM
You got it Ken :cool!:....Ed
Been by it, Morris wouldn't stop...mentioned something about being over rated.

I will get him to stop this year.

Ken

BUIZILLA
02-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Chili fries and a jalapeno burger...
now there's a gastric implosion...:nilly: :toiletpap

gold-n-rod
02-05-2009, 08:42 PM
And I am the one trying to stay off the stuff.........:bonk:

No, John, you have company. I haven't eaten in any one of these places since 2004.

The closest I have come is an occasional Subway veggie sandwich... or what my wife calls a salad on bread!

gold-n-rod
02-05-2009, 08:44 PM
PS: You boys looking for a heart attack should lookie here....

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/bacon-explosion.html

Yikes! :eek::bonk::nilly::confused::yes::shocking::bonk:

Cuda
02-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I worked building and remodeling McDonalds for twelve years, The bad thing was, during the remodlels, the drive through was still open, and we ate for free. I had my tryglecirides checked when I got a new doc here in Deland. My tryglecerides was 463, Healthy is 100 or less. I got on a tryglecrides med, and quit eating at McDonalds, and it dropped over 200 points in two months. I rarely eat a burger, and now they are at about 100, and ever the thought of a burger gags me. You get used to not eating them.

zelatore
02-06-2009, 10:45 AM
PS: You boys looking for a heart attack should lookie here....
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/bacon-explosion.html
Yikes! :eek::bonk::nilly::confused::yes::shocking::bonk:

wow. That's just .... awesome is the only word that comes to mind!

FISHIN SUCKS
02-09-2009, 10:42 AM
WEBERS.........
I know there are a few members here that have stopped off on Hwy11:cool!:.Ed
Not Bad, but I thought you were gonna say Harvey's or St Huber's.....or maybe even grab a bag of Tim's

Ed Donnelly
02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Harvy's makes a hamburger a beautiful thing:wink:

But a mans burger is Heros genuine burgers :cool!: ....Ed