PDA

View Full Version : DACA Lake Powell 2009

RickSE
02-03-2009, 10:21 PM
OK let’s get this going. If Mike's event takes off we could combine or move things around but I'm certain that most who'd come to this event would like to get it scheduled. I believe the consensus on the dates for this event is June 18-21st at the south end of Lake Powell (http://lakepowell.com/lodging-food/index.cfm) at the Wahweap Marina (http://www.lakepowellmarinas.com/marinas_wahweap.html). I'll work on blocking rooms again at the Lake Powell Resort (http://lakepowell.com/lodging-food/lake-powell-resort.cfm). Folks have also stayed in the town of Page, AZ, about 15-minutes from the lake. I'll post pricing on the Resort as soon as I get it.

Here's some past history on this event.

DACA 2006 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42006&highlight=lake+powell) 9-boats
DACA 2007 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47125&highlight=lake+powell) 4-boats
DACA 2008 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52055&highlight=lake+powell) 5-boats

I'll past more as time allows. Anyone have any new ideas for this event?

Over the past three years we've seen air temperatures in the mid-90's to low 100's. The water is still warming up in June so it's usually in the upper 60's, maybe 70 if we have a warm Spring. Weather is typically calm and sunny.
The Castle Rock Cut is currently dry, but expected to flood again as long as the moisture keeps coming this winter.

Trueser
02-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm in going to make a week out of it....

zelatore
02-03-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't think I can do a full week on the lake but we're planning to come a day or two early and maybe run up-lake to camp or hike one day.

farmer tx
02-04-2009, 12:36 AM
We are in!:nilly:

fegettes
02-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Count me in. But, since it is such a long drive for me, I will take extra days and make a run over to Lake Havasue for a couple of days also.

Steve and Melinda

Z-Man
02-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Game on! I've gotta be in Vegas for work the week after. Steve, i plan on hitting Havasu as well.

yeller
02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
We may be in. We are planning on going, but that is around the time that I may be taking on the new business so we won't know for sure until we are actually on the road.

If we do go, we'll be hitting Havasu and Vegas/Mead as well.

zelatore
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Glen, if you or some of your fellow NW owners are coming down, what would you think of making a swing over toward Jackson Hole? I hear there's a lonely Donzi owner up that way who might want some company if he can't join us at Powell.

yeller
02-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Don, I may be very interested in that, but unfortunately I can not commit to anything. Because I may be getting my new business at that time, I honestly won't know for sure if I can go until the boat is hooked to the truck and we are on the road. Even at that point there is still no guarantee as if I get the call, I will have to turn around.

Donziweasel
02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Come on up! Love to have you guys.

zelatore
02-09-2009, 01:36 PM
....Even at that point there is still no guarantee as if I get the call, I will have to turn around.

Come on man, even a kid knows the answer to that one - just turn your phone off!

'Sorry dad, I never got your call!'

RickSE
02-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Work began this week to deepen the Castle Rock "short" Cut. They we're going to deepen it last year but backed out and just let it flood over. The Cut went dry in January but is expected to flood again this summer, even w/o the deepening project. Sounds like they're going to dig out about 5' and take it down to 3610' elevation.

http://www.wayneswords.com/cgi-bin/wwlprecreation.pl?read=47803

DonCig
02-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Sue and I would love to come spend a few days with you this year. I am not in a position to haul the 22 from Lake Ozarks to Powell; so we will have to hitch a boat ride if possible. Or we could rent a wreck for 2 days.

DonCig

Trueser
02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
I plan on going.

And I have some room................

I would also like to camp one night

zelatore
02-19-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't see you having any problem finding a seat Don.

DonCig
02-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Guys, thanks. I have a big 6 person tent with an open top to watch the shooting stars at Lake Powell. An awsome sight everytime we go.

Don

BUIZILLA
02-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Err, WHAT 22? errr.... where have you been? :wink:

RickSE
02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I just sent in the request for 10 rooms @ the Lake Powell Resort. As soon as I get the info and pricing I'll put it up.

It's getting dry here so I hope we have enough snow pack to bring the water back up. We should be able to get back to where we were last year and they're still working on digging out the short cut.

RickSE
03-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Room rates at the Lake Powell Resort (http://lakepowell.com/lodging-food/lake-powell-resort.cfm) are $137/night for standard room & $151/night for lake view room. I'll block (5) of each room type since we need (10) to get the rate. I'll post confirmation info as soon as I get it back.

A lot of progress on digging out the Castle Rock Cut, should be nice this year, deep & wide.

zelatore
03-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I'd love to stay there but looks like we'll be on a budget so that means staying in town again and spending miles instead of dollars.

MXRoadster
03-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Rick, any word on the rooms yet? I'm hoping to make it down this year I just don't know if work is going stop me from making it there yet.

RickSE
03-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Rick, any word on the rooms yet?

The request is in, should hear back in the next few days. I'll put it up as soon as it's official.

Trueser
03-12-2009, 03:39 PM
In my plans for this summer.....

RickSE
03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Alright, sorry this took a while but we're set on rooms at the Wahweap Resort. Anyone wanting to stay here call,

Lake Powell Resorts Group Reservations @ 800-528-6154

Reference the DACA Group or 13Z6Y7

We have (10) rooms blocked for June 17-21 (can go less or more days)

(5) Traditional Rooms - $137.00 single/double plus tax & surcharges
(5) Lakeview Rooms - $151.00 single/double plus tax & surcharges

50% deposit of base room revenue due 90 days prior to arrival. Final payment due 30 days prior to arrival. 30-day cancellation policy.

We typically arrive Wednesday afternoon and return home on Sunday.

Any questions? I'll work on some sort of a schedule and maybe figurs out where we should go. Any suggestions?

zelatore
03-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Rick, as for where to go I think I'd vote for a run way up lake one day. Maybe San Juan arm? I'm certainly not an expert on Powell.

I'll try to look up a map - I think I've still got a link to a chart you put up last year.

(I'm just hoping I have my boat back in the water by then!)

RickSE
04-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Alright, here's one, we could do this if you guys are interested, descent hike though @ 4.5-miles round trip.

Peek A Boo Arch (http://www.wayneswords.com/cgi-bin/wwlprecreation.pl?read=49299)
Additional Hikes/Excursions (http://www.wayneswords.com/hike.htm)

Maybe also a trip up to the Bullfrog and Halls Marinas in Utah.

Trueser
04-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Bring lots of water for that hike..Our last trip left the bottom of a shoe stuck to a rock.

Looks great...

RickSE
04-15-2009, 07:08 PM
The "Cut" deepening project is finished and water crossed just the other day. There should be a good amount of water coming into Powell this season since the early spring has been cool with good moisture up North.

Is anyone planning on coming? It's been pretty quiet here lately.

zelatore
04-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Oh, I'll be there.....I just have to put the rest of the blower on the engine, put the engine back in the boat, put the updates on the fuel system, finalize the design of the new dash and have it cut, order the new gauges and install them, prop test the boat with the new power, then wash, polish, and wax it.

Yeah, I'm practically there already!

yeller
04-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Oh, I'll be there.....I just have to put the rest of the blower on the engine, put the engine back in the boat, put the updates on the fuel system, finalize the design of the new dash and have it cut, order the new gauges and install them, prop test the boat with the new power, then wash, polish, and wax it.

Yeah, I'm practically there already!

Oh, I hope I can be there.....I just have to reinstall the the blower I removed, install the new deck, paint the stripe, cut the holes for the gauges, steering, stereo, hardware and install everything, prop test the boat with zelatores seconds, then wash, polish and wax it.

Yeah, I'm practically there already! :biggrin:

zelatore
04-17-2009, 10:01 AM
repeat after me:

less typing....more wrenching
less typing....more wrenching!

RickSE
04-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeller, you don't need a deck, just put the seats back in and mount the steering wheel on a 2x4.

yeller
04-17-2009, 11:36 AM
repeat after me:
less typing....more wrenching!
OK..less typing....more wrenching, less typing....more wrenc.........HEY, wait a second, is this a trick? Sucked in again, I should be outside.

Although.....if I took Ricks suggestion.......................

zelatore
04-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Just took a look at the lake levels. We're just over 3609' as of 4/20. Looks like the levels have bottomed out for the year (?) and maybe we'll start to see some rise.

For reference, last year we were around 362x'

Think we'll be higher this year?

RickSE
04-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes, we'll be higher for sure. Last year we were at 3592' on April 22, and as Zelatore states 3609' this year, already 17' above 08'.

The current snow pack is at 100% of normal and the heat just got turned on last weekend so the run-off is coming.

We were at 3631' last year on June 20th and peaked out around 3634' on July 16th.

If things go as planned we'll probably be in the 3640'-50' range by our dates in June. The lake is starting to go back to the way I knew it in the late 90's early 2000's with big open bays between Wahweap & Warm Creek and then Padre Bay. Padre Bay used to be a huge continuous body of water with only two major buttes poking out of the water, basically an entire lake of its own. If we get close to full pool again some day you'll be surprised at how much water there is and how open the lake feels. The lake is at its best when 30’ to 40’ down (3660’-3670’) since there are minimal beaches at full pool. The only question now is how much water they'll release to fill up Mead. By the time you guys get here the Castle Rock Cut project will be 30' under water.

BTW, there is a $7,000 5day/4night Houseboat prize contest going on for the closest guess to the 2009 high water mark.

Powell Water Level Contest (http://lakepowell.water-data.com/hw09.php)

patolucas962000
05-11-2009, 04:18 PM
It's getting close, very, very close.....

In the beginning many stated they were attending, now that it's getting close - RickSE would like to determine how many have made it official..:flash:

I thought I would help out and try to get an idea of who we should be looking for cruising in :drive: .......

So, if you are set to come please respond and if you will be reserving a room let us know too.

:fam:

yeller
05-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Definitely out. :( Too much going on and can't get away.

farmer tx
05-12-2009, 12:04 AM
We are in!!

RickSE
05-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Definitely out. :( Too much going on and can't get away.

Yeller, you do have a lot going on and I would have been surprised if you'd have made it. This would probably still be tough but you could come later in the summer for Powellfest (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56020), if not then hopefully we'll come visit you up North in 2010.

The "Cut" btw is now open for business.

Also, I got word today that a firm is shooting a commercial @ Powell between June 8th & 10th for the Canadian Lottery and is looking for several HP boats for a helicopter shoot. I'm going to submit our boat and see if they're interested.

patolucas962000
05-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Okay so far as I can tell the falling are confirmed for the DACA June 2009 event:

Trueser
FarmerTx
Fegettes
Zelatore ???
Z-man
Don-Cig ???
MxRoadster ???

If this is true can you let us know how many is in your party?

Looking forward to getting up lake further this year.

Patti

zelatore
05-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Oops, I missed the roll-call request.

I'm still planning to be there ... plenty left to do on the boat, but I've canceled my trip this weekend to make some headway.

We haven't booked anything yet, but I'm sure we'll stay at the same Marriot in Page we stayed at last time.

So that's 2 for me - Michele and Don, 22 Classic, with a little bonus under the hatch from last year....:wink:

farmer tx
05-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Polly and I. Trying to make reservations at Powell resort and have not been successful yet:boggled:

RickSE
05-24-2009, 12:00 PM
They un-block the rooms that we had blocked when they haven't been reserved within 30-days of our arrival date. I'll have to check with them next week. We don't have anything reserved ourselves.

There is a big wakeboard event again this year just before our dates so rooms may be booked up until Wed. or Thurs of our week.

There's always the beach or campground. :)

farmer tx
05-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Just made my reservation and am ready to go NOW.:nilly::bonk::boggled::smash::banghead:

RickSE
05-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Alright we're reserved @ the Whaweap Resort. We'll arrive on Wednesday afternoon (June 17th) and leave for home on Sunday (21st). Rates during the week are around $115 and a little higher on the weekend at the Resort. Our average rate is $127.68/night w/tax for a standard room. If anyone else is coming and wants to stay at the Wahweap Resort call 1-800-528-6154 and tell them you have a group reservation under the following group number, 13Z6Y7.

zelatore
06-10-2009, 09:25 AM
:frown:Well crap....it's not looking good. T-minus one week and I still haven't sorted out the motor. :nilly:

I haven't given up yet, but if it turns out to be a blow-by problem (as I'm beginning to fear) there's just no way I'll make it.

Heck, my parents were even talking about riding out from Indiana to meet us for Sunday.

RickSE
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Entrance into the park is free for the weekend of June 20-21st.

National Parks Free Weekends (http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/glen-canyon-national-recreation-area-to-waive-entrance-fees.htm)

fegettes
06-10-2009, 12:21 PM
My Lake Powell trip is not looking good. Personally, when I say that I will come, you can count on me being there. My work schedule back in February was right in line for the trip and I said I would come. I even bought a new tow vehicle especially for this trip. I was so pumped up for the trip. Well, things changed. My position here at the nuclear plant is an Electrical Field Engineer to plan, oversee, and implement upgrades and projects to the plant here. And one of my projects back in February was scheduled to be implemented in April and May. Due to some complications, the schedule shifted to June and July. And I have been sort of been quiet with high hopes that the project would shift again to miss the June dates, and I would still be able to make the trip. Unfortunately, the project is just now getting started, and my position really requires me to be here. I know you are counting on me being there, and I am sick about missing this event. I believe it one of the best events I have ever been too. If I had a choice of only going to one Donzi event, this would be the one. All I can say is that I am sorry that it does not look like I will make it this year. :frown:

Steve

RickSE
06-10-2009, 01:16 PM
You know you guys can always come in August for Powellfest (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56020), Aug 13-16.

Better Weather
More Boats, +20
Poker Run
Raffle & Pig Roast

Just no hotel for us @ Powellfest, we'll be on the beach.

fegettes
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
This may be dooable. Let me check. Powellfest is on my "to do" list and has not been crossed off.

You know you guys can always come in August for Powellfest (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56020), Aug 13-16.

Better Weather
More Boats, +20
Poker Run
Raffle & Pig Roast

Just no hotel for us @ Powellfest, we'll be on the beach.

farmer tx
06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I've had all this dirt farming I can stand. We are out of here !!!:shocking:

zelatore
06-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, it's Monday.

I've heard no stories.

I've seen no pictures.

How did things go? Who made it out?

RickSE
06-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I'll update in the next day or two. Good trip but work has me by the nuts right now.

RickSE
06-26-2009, 06:09 PM
So we arrived Wed. afternoon and met up with the farmerTX's only to discover that Powell had something this year that it's never had before, Weather. About 1-hour after we arrived the rain came down for a good solid hour. We sat it out then headed over to the campground for some food. Just the farmerTX's and my group on this trip.

RickSE
06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
We woke up Thursday and headed out to try and find my buddies who were supposed to be in Padre Bay. Along the way we stopped to help some houseboater's rescue their sinking jetski in the Castle Rock Cut. Then off to Padre we went looking for my buddies. With no sign of them in Padre we decided to head over to Labyrinth Canyon to chill out, swim and eat some lunch. The weather so far was good but we'd been watching thunder clouds build off in the distance all morning long.

After lunch I finally got a hold of my buddies who were up in Rock Creek with some houseboats so we pulled up anchor and headed their way. After a good haul up lake we found them pretty quick, pulled in and chatted for awhile on top of one of the houseboats. After a few hours we noticed a pretty big cell bearing down on our canyon but couldn't tell what else was out there due to the high cliff walls. After conversing about out temporary mouring and the storm cell that was coming in we decided to make a run for it back to the Resort. We seem to have made it out just in time as the wind really picked up as we left Rock Creek and 3' wind driven rollers pushed us out towards the main channel. Once in the channel we then discovered a nice little rain cell in our path to clean the boats with some 50-MPH rain drops. We pulled out of the weather after about 10-miles and had a fun ride back in to the Resort, up on top of the wind driven water.

RickSE
06-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Things cleared up on Friday and the weather got back to normal, sunny and hot. We got a late start and headed back to Rock Creek to check on my buddies. Once we got there they were on their way out to Dangling Rope for ice cream so we tagged along. After some time at Dangling Rope we headed up lake a little to let the kids swim while we chilled out for a late lunch. Since we got a late start today we just relaxed then headed back to the Resort to finish an uneventful day of fun and sun.

Saturday brought some weather back with clouds in the morning that eventually burned off by noon. We headed around through the Antelope Channel and ducked into Antelope Canyon to explore. After a few angey words with a Wake-Board boat that almost washed fermerTX into the canyon wall we headed back up the channel, through Antelope Pointe Marina and into Warm Creek. After trying some skiing in Warm Creek we headed back towards Wahweap to chill and eat in Ice Cream Canyon over by Lone Rock. The day turned out beautiful so we just sat and chilled til 4:00pm then decided to head up lake and burn an hour or so running the boats. This ended up being a blast as we ran for well over an hour making a big loop up through Padre Bay and back down to Wahweap. The water was great with a good wind chop when we came up on a 24'ish Cobalt running pretty hard around 50-MPH who thought he could show up the two little Donzi's. FarmerTX and I both bumped the throttles a little and showed the Cobalt guy that he wasn't the king today; holding back in the 60's so we didn't emberass him too much.

All in all a fun trip with no one hurt and nothing broke.

RickSE
06-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Here's a little guy we came across at Antelope Pointe. Neat little boat that the Marina Services seems to use to ferry pilots out to the houseboats.

Next year will be 5-years of doing this event at Powell. If it goes off again I'd hope that some more folks can make it out. We'll fix the weather next year.

BUIZILLA
06-26-2009, 08:06 PM
neat little tender..

hedgey, take note :pimp:

zelatore
06-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Sorry I missed it, but I shall return!

I'll expect one or more critters to show up next year as well.