PDA

View Full Version : New sewing machine...........!!

fogducker III
02-03-2009, 07:56 PM
So in-between doing important stuff to the boat I am attempting some "domestic" upgrades to both boats...........:eek:

I bought an inexpensive, but good quality, industrial sewing machine and have been practicing, so far I made a prop cover, used Ballistic material, stuff they use on the outside of bullet proof vests. It breaths well and is durable, plus I had a good line on some extra material. I might just do the cuddy cabin cushions with it...?

Also re-covered the jump seat cushions and engine cover on the "non-Donzi" boat..........

Reasonably happy with the results.

yeller
03-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Never saw this post until today.

You can get rid of most if not all the wrinkles on those cushions with a heat gun or hair dryer. Heat the area around the wrinkle, then with the palm of your hand 'rub' the vinyl away from the wrinkle as the fabric cools.

I have an account at an upholstery supplier that you are welcome to use anytime. They are located here, but will ship to the island. Let me know if you want pricing on anything.

fogducker III
03-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Never saw this post until today.

You can get rid of most if not all the wrinkles on those cushions with a heat gun or hair dryer. Heat the area around the wrinkle, then with the palm of your hand 'rub' the vinyl away from the wrinkle as the fabric cools.

I have an account at an upholstery supplier that you are welcome to use anytime. They are located here, but will ship to the island. Let me know if you want pricing on anything.

Thanks man, I did not know that trick with the heat........I will try it, although the wrinkles look worse than they are and the way it was stitched were even on the originals, but hell, worth a try.

I might take you up on the material offer, hard to get at a decent price over here and usually a waiting period.........thanks again.

justleft
03-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Come on, post a pic of the sewing machine !!

KerrLake
03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Come on, post a pic of the sewing machine !!
I'm curious too.

fogducker III
03-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Are there no sewing machines in North Carolina or something...........:confused:

Ghost
03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Are there no sewing machines in North Carolina or something...........:confused:

I think it's the online forum equivalent of "tell a man there are ten billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him there's wet paint on a bench and he'll touch it to be sure." :wink:

Still. I'm no different. I wanna see it too.

HOWARD O
03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Yet another North Carolina sewing machine afficianado wanting a photo........ya know we use duct tape for everything around here! :yes::biggrin.:

yeller
03-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Here Fog......just so you don't feel like you're alone. You're not the only sissy with a sewing machine. :wink::biggrin:

fogducker III
03-16-2009, 11:23 AM
That one is actually nice, I am embarrased, mine is crap compared to that one!!! :eek:

ChromeGorilla
03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm gonna have to start revoking some man cards here shortly.....:biggrin:

fogducker III
03-16-2009, 11:31 AM

I guess a pic of the new loom is out of the question then.............:biggrin.:

ChromeGorilla
03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Lol... Lmao

yeller
03-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I thought it was ok as long as it is used for marine projects only. I swear I've never made a dress. :biggrin:

This is the closest I've come to making something that is worn.

KerrLake
03-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I thought it was ok as long as it is used for marine projects only. I swear I've never made a dress. :biggrin:

This is the closest I've come to making something that is worn.

Watch out, you may get orders for a good looking cover like that.

How expensive are the heavy duty sewing machines? I just had visions of all sorts of my toys covered in canvas!!

Here's something else for Matty to add to his list just under light houses:rlol:

Ed Donnelly
03-16-2009, 01:46 PM
They can only pull man cards if the machine is smaller than an 8BL
Right yeller:yes:.............Ed

fogducker III
03-16-2009, 05:34 PM
as I said, it isn't pretty...........:rolleyes:

yeller
03-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Looks aren't everything. Pfaff makes a great machine.

RickSE
03-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Ya, but do you guys have one of these?

HOWARD O
03-17-2009, 10:18 AM
as I said, it isn't pretty...........:rolleyes:

Well, I think it's pretty and I'd love to have something like that. Don't know the first thing about it, but I DO know what upholsterers charge! :yes: