PDA

View Full Version : What is with that windshield??

Pismo
02-03-2009, 07:25 PM
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2001_donzi_18_classic-o26639-en.html

Is that a factory option?? or some crazy home built add on. Wow, I don't like it at all. Cool boat otherwise.

boxy
02-03-2009, 07:28 PM
The discussion ran 5 pages last time .....
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50216&highlight=yacht+tender

roadtrip se
02-04-2009, 08:47 AM
"Ground Hog Day" with Bill Murray... perfect for this time of year.

Then of course, there is "Cars", which this boat would work great in.

mattyboy
02-04-2009, 09:27 AM
The discussion ran 5 pages last time .....
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50216&highlight=yacht+tender

well there's 15 minutes down the drain ;)

man that's tough

DonziJon
02-04-2009, 09:33 AM
It's a Yacht Tender. See the SS plate towing eye on the cutwater? Yacht Tenders sometimes need to be used in nasty weather or maybe a current induced chop to get to and from shore.. go do some food shopping, etc. The reason it's an 18 is it had to be small. It's used as a utility boat not a speed boat. John

chappy
02-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Nerd Donzi.:rofl:

I forgot about that thread, nice pull Boxy.

mattyboy
02-04-2009, 09:46 AM
please i don't need to relive it

the boat as been bastardized enough and just needs to fade off into the sunset

next it will appear in a drug prevention PSA

this is your donzi this is your donzi on drugs

:boggled::nilly::wrench::lifeprese:

Pismo
02-04-2009, 12:06 PM
So funny...

Just Say N20
02-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Beep - beep - beep - beep (sound of the bus backing up, and I think I'm about to jump under it).

I agree 100% with the comments gcarter made in the linked thread. This guy customized the boat the way HE wanted it, and from everything that can be seen in the pictures, EVERYTHING was done to a very high level of quality.

In one of the pictures you can see the fittings he put in the side deck near the grab rail to fit the stainless boarding ladder (which is securely stored in a custom holder in the engine compartment). I have read a lot of threads here about people wanting a good solution to a boarding ladder.

And I am kind of surprised about so many negative comments about the windshield. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like a very expensively well done execution of the original windshields available on the early Donzis. There is a boat for sale right now on the Donzi section that has just such a windshield ( http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55896 ).

This guy spent all the money to do a top-notch job adding features HE needed to his DONZI. It will still do everything it did when it came from the factory. But it will do some things better, and it will do some things it didn't originally do at all. And, after all, isn't that what most of us spend a great deal of time, and money, doing with OUR DONZIs.

gcarter
02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
If some of you had seen Cuda's Minx up close, it starts to make more sense. It had lifting eye reinforcements on the stern, and additional lifting reinforcements in the front footwell reachable through round access holes in the floor. It even came with the shackles to lift the bow from them.
Gosh guys, not averyone sees these boats the way we do.

I do remember the guy that cut the fore deck off a 22C to make a bowrider........

DonziJon
02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
It IS a Very Well Done installation. :yes: John

mattyboy
02-04-2009, 02:26 PM
sorry but he did not add money to his DONZI he spent MONEY ON HIS TENDER and such improvements and investment make it a very desirable tender but not a desirable DONZI

seems i recall the tenders on the Forbes yacht a 20 cig and a hornet as i recall customized but they weren't change to try and be something else they retained their identity

BUIZILLA
02-04-2009, 02:30 PM
seems i recall the tenders on the Forbes yacht a 20 cig and a hornet speaking of the Highlander, times must be rough for Steve also... :nilly: they laid off the entire crew for the year, tied it to a dock, and postponed any 2009 maintenace until 2010.... at the earliest....

zelatore
02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
tied it to a dock, and postponed any 2009 maintenace until 2010.... at the earliest....

Two words: false economy!

roadtrip se
02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
All over again, and then again, and again...

You are right Matty, great as a tender, not so great as a Donzi.

Interesting that the thing never seems to sell, even with all of the goodness and practicality that surrounds it.