PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs ..ONE MORE TIME!!!!!

SilverBack
02-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I think that I have decided on the Dana HP 1100 trim tabs. Lenny brought up the subject of trim tab placement in another thread and I did not want to hijack their thread so I decided to ask for your advice. Some people say to mount them even with the bottom of the boat. Some people say to mount them running at the same angle as the bottom but space them off the bottom. Some people say to mount them where they are parallel with the water.

Can you tell me which way you think is best and why?

HOWARD O
02-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Ah geez, here we go. Your boat can't even get out of it's own way, why slow it down more with big, honkin' flappers off the back? :outtahere:

SilverBack
02-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Ah geez, here we go. Your boat can't even get out of it's own way, why slow it down more with big, honkin' flappers off the back? :outtahere:

My boat is one bad MOFO!!! I need the tabs to slow it down a little bit....I don't want to run over the bass boaters and slow pokes out there......:wink:

Trueser
02-03-2009, 10:45 AM
My vote would be even. Size matters in your case.

Why... Would make things more comlicated and this thread can go on and on and on...

I would also have the control mounted on the wheel or throttle.

SilverBack
02-03-2009, 10:50 AM
My vote would be even. Size matters in your case.

Why... Would make things more complicated and this thread can go on and on and on...

I would also have the control mounted on the wheel or throttle.

Are you saying even with the bottom..to extend the running surface?

I already have the switch on mounted on the throttle. I went with a switch that will allow me to trim the out drive and both tabs on the throttle and I can still adjust the two tabs individually by the switches on my control panel.

Ghost
02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Some people say to mount them where they are parallel with the water.

I don't know squat about this, but I have trouble imagining what the significance of "parallel to the water" could be. Unless it's simply an easy reference that *happens to correspond* to an appropriate setup for many boats. And even then, I would expect it to be at best, close to optimal, but almost certainly not optimal.

But this is just layman's thinking.

BUIZILLA
02-03-2009, 11:16 AM
1/2" up...

Morgan's Cloud
02-03-2009, 11:22 AM
You've got a hundred mph boat and you're asking about trim tabs ? ? ? ? ?

HOWARD O
02-03-2009, 11:28 AM
My boat is one bad MOFO!!! I need the tabs to slow it down a little bit....I don't want to run over the bass boaters and slow pokes out there......:wink:

thought that would get a rise outta ya! :fam:

SilverBack
02-03-2009, 11:43 AM
You've got a hundred mph boat and you're asking about trim tabs ? ? ? ? ?

Yes....I have not even touched my little Bennet Tabs. The tabs really helped Hedge and Tex out with their handling. It seems that boat does not have the same issues as theirs but it does have it's own issues!! The 100 MPH thing is why I think it will be critical to mount them the right way!

SilverBack
02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Can you tell me which way you think is best and why?

1/2" up...

Buizz...??????

SilverBack
02-03-2009, 11:46 AM
thought that would get a rise outta ya! :fam:

Glad to have been of service!!!!:yes:

mrfixxall
02-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Yep 1/2'' up and as close to the drive as possible:wink:

Trueser
02-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes....I have not even touched my little Bennet Tabs. The tabs really helped Hedge and Tex out with their handling. It seems that boat does not have the same issues as theirs but it does have it's own issues!! The 100 MPH thing is why I think it will be critical to mount them the right way!

If it helped out those boys then you need to install the same.

Why? Why not

DonziJon
02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Would Arneson Rocker Plates be even better? They DO look totally cool....and GEEO had them. Just askin. :lookaroun: John

SilverBack
02-03-2009, 02:12 PM
They don't sell rocker plates any more.

osur866
02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Theres a used set on OSO for 1000 bucks.

BigGrizzly
02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
1/2 inch up with a minimum of 10 to 15 degrees up. The reason is if you mount them even with the bottom, since they are not rocker plates. you get air intrusion between the tab and the bottom. the angle is so when trimmed high the tabs get spray ricochet and the trouble begins. Most people put them too low with not enough elevation. Most Donzi s are set too low. if you don't believe me, ask several members of the board, like osur866.

MOP
02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
I have Hustler out by me and get to see many of the boats they test, like mentioned above the leading edge is above the transom. Most look about 3/4"=1" but their boats are bigger then ours so I guess it is a scale thing.

SilverBack
02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys!! What do you mean by 10 - 15 degrees up Grizz?

BigGrizzly
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Some companies Have separate mounting rams and installers make the tabs 3/8 of an inch up and level with the running surface. This is all wrong. There MUST be an up angle so the tab up from the running surface. The water you see coming off the stern at speed actually is more then 8 degrees up from the surface. The farther back it is the higher it gets like a rooster tail. Like I said in our phone conversation before your tabs are too low, even after looking at the pictures with the yard stick you sent me. That is why I told you I would fix it when I came down.

The Hedgehog
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
They don't sell rocker plates any more.

Its ok. You are not cool enough to have them anyway!:popcorn:

Greg Maier
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Grizz,

I'm also having trouble trying to visualize what you mean by 10 to 15 degrees up. Are you saying the plates of the tabs need to be 10 to 15 degrees from the horizon?

osur866
02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Here is what Grizz is talking about see how the trailing edge is much higher than the leading edge. Must of the Bennets are almost level from the leading edge to the trailing edge. Mine where thet way until I got the shorter stops in the upper hindge of the tab arm, I also feel as if they where mounted a tad low at the transom, mine are a tad under 1/2" from the bottom. Steve

DonziDan16
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Does the 1/2 inch and 10-15 degree rule hold true for 16s as well? I need to mount mine when the weather warms up.

RedDog
02-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Here is what Grizz is talking about see how the trailing edge is much higher than the leading edge. Must of the Bennets are almost level from the leading edge to the trailing edge. Mine where thet way until I got the shorter stops in the upper hindge of the tab arm, I also feel as if they where mounted a tad low at the transom, mine are a tad under 1/2" from the bottom. Steve

Instead of getting the shorter stops, you can modify the standard Bennett stops with a hacksaw and file/sandpaper to get the 10 - 15 degrees up.

Here is an old thread on how to do it. I have the dual ram tabs and it took about 30 minutes to fix all 4 rams - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28750&highlight=modify+bennett+tabs

osur866
02-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Very true, however mine have coil wires in them for trim tab indicators so just hack sawing mine off was not an option for me. Steve

RickR
02-04-2009, 04:51 AM
+1 w/mrfixall and grizz

Greg Maier
02-04-2009, 07:29 AM
I believe I now understand what Grizz is saying, that when the tabs are in the fully up position, they need to be 10-15 above parallel in relation to the bottom of the boat. Makes sense.

BigGrizzly
02-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Greg, Yes, There are some with adjustable bottom mounts To raise and lower the angle. Especially with rocker hulls like the 16,18 and black hawk hulls. Every Donzi I have seen with the Bennett type has had them too low. IT is NOT a Bennett or brand X issue. It is a placement at installation problem. I am not going to back any tab maker of K- Plane or the like, they are pretty much all the same. Since in my own situation the tab issue is almost non existent, I just drive around any issues except left to right balance, Then the tab is easier then the,"Move your over weight but over" method. As for rocker plates an d not being sold anymore. They are expensive and the new step hulls can't use them well. For the straight and rocker hulls they are cool. For the step not so good. Also remember with them placement is critical, no exceptions. I saw that mistake made once.