PDA

View Full Version : Engine is on the way out.....

KerrLake
02-02-2009, 07:28 PM
I am preparing to pull the engine in order to send the trans, gimble housing and drive to be rebuilt on the Z25. I had developed a strange knocking sound when the boat was idling in nuetral and especially when it was in gear. It is a 370 trs package. Anything that comes to mind that I should look for while disassembing to figure out what the knock could have been? I'm wondering if the pressure plate is not loose.

MOP
02-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I am preparing to pull the engine in order to send the trans, gimble housing and drive to be rebuilt on the Z25. I had developed a strange knocking sound when the boat was idling in nuetral and especially when it was in gear. It is a 370 trs package. Anything that comes to mind that I should look for while disassembing to figure out what the knock could have been? I'm wondering if the pressure plate is not loose.

If the tranny is anything like a Borg unit it will develop a knock from the sun gears slack if the engine has a cylinder missing at idle, sometimes the miss is not real noticeable but will cause the Borgs to knock. I have seen this on both gas and diesel engines with a weak/bad injector, if the engine without doubt running perfect then disregard.

Phil

KerrLake
02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
MOP, the engine was running fine. It is a Borg. My Mastercraft has a Borg in it, and I know exactly the knock you are describing. You could hold your hand on the drive while in nuetral and feel it and especially when it was in gear.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-02-2009, 08:16 PM
KL, fortunately it seems that you are not a procrastinator because you are working on her now in order to make it to AOTH, right? Hope so, I am looking forward to checking this baby out. Good luck with your rebuild and , sorry, I don't know anything about TRS drives, but I did stay at a holiday inn last week, no wait , two weeks ago:nilly:

KerrLake
02-02-2009, 08:37 PM
KL, fortunately it seems that you are not a procrastinator because you are working on her now in order to make it to AOTH, right? Hope so, I am looking forward to checking this baby out. Good luck with your rebuild and , sorry, I don't know anything about TRS drives, but I did stay at a holiday inn last week, no wait , two weeks ago:nilly:

That's funny.....Yeah, that's the plan. I hope to have her in the best shape she has been in many years. A deadline (AOTH) always helps with the procrastination!

BigGrizzly
02-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Just be sure it is not the lower that is what my stock 21 year old one sounded like. Turn the prop by hand. fairly briskly both in forward rotation and revers rotation with trans in neutral.

KerrLake
02-10-2009, 11:30 AM
The engine is out and I can somewhat duplicate the sound I was hearing by shaking around the transmission. I took the tail stock off (please correct me if I call parts the incorrect names) and you can stick your finger inside the transmission drive shaft housing and move a small part and it really rattles around. I can also feel some play in the transmission bearings. So, off to Huber the transmission goes. The rear seal was also leaking transmission fluid and it made its way in the bellows. Someone had sold me an alignment tool that did not have the plate that fits into the gimble housing. Is it possible that misalignment could have caused damage to the transmission? The gimble bearings still feel tight, but I may replace them just for reliability concerns.

Just Say N20
02-13-2009, 06:45 AM
I think you might be referring to the vibration damper. It attaches to the flywheel. I had to replace them in a twin engine boat. The springs get tired allowing slop where the center splined receiver isn't tight, and when the engine is idling, any "un-smoothness" makes a crunching sound. I didn't believe it was the cause of the sound, but when I replaced them, no more crunching. If you have the bell housing off, and can move any of the springs at all by hand, I think that is the source of your sound.

When the engine rpms are up higher, and the transmission is in gear, and under a load there is enough pressure on the plate that there is no more sound.

Sorry about the picture, but I had put a contact's personal information on there, and didn't want to paste that all over the internet.