PDA

View Full Version : Alpha One Gen I Transom Plate Anodic Bolts Leaking

rustnrot
02-02-2009, 11:19 AM
On the F14, we have water leaking into the boat from the transom plate where the two bottom "Anodic Bolts" go thru.

I neglected to put Mercury part 12-32620, washers on. Are these some kind of sealing washers? Before I fill the hole with caulk, what have others done, as it seems like these washers may be inadequate even though I have not seen them yet. Later Gen II models do not use these thru bolts, they use studs so this is not an issue.

PS, we had some scrape-age (second pic) of the gimbal ring against the lower unit. I think it is bent and I will simply bend it back hoping it doesn't break. Comments?

Trueser
02-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I would check the transom for intrusion.

rustnrot
02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Transom should be ok as it is new. Also I saw leakage at the end of the bolt. While of course there also could be other issues I wanted to find out best way to seal these bolts then water test and see if the leak stops.

While I could order the Merc washers I bet somebody else has sealed this in a better way or can recommend a generic sealing washer to use.

BlownCrewCab
02-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Isn't there supposed to be a Plastic spacer in there to stop the scuffing on the side of your drive? It shouldn't be metal to metal. the spacer only goes on one side.

rustnrot
02-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't see a plastic spacer in the parts list I have, but who knows. Do you know if the spacer attaches to the gimbal ring or the upper unit itself?

MOP
02-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Tom my Alpha had aluminum lower studs, if yours are the same "do not use silicone" it corrodes aluminum. Under the zinc buttons is suppose to be a rubber seal washer without it water get into the back side of the gimble. Your install is very fresh but still should be dried as best as possible. I would put a heat lamp on the gimbles bottom to keep it a little warm but not to close and leave the zincs off for awhile it should dry out in a few days.

Phil

MOP
02-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Tommy study this fiche there is a seal washer that goes under the bolts head and another that goes under the zinc. # 25--#26

rustnrot
02-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Phil, them's the ones. I'll order up a couple. Thought maybe you all would say get a washer for an oil pan or some such would work or an o-ring that I could get locally, guess not. I still may augment with a little caulk (not of the silicone variety) though, have to wait and see and look at the washers. I know it is wet now but we coated our holes, etc. good, still will dry it out for a few days regardless..

Thought I would also wedge a screwdriver between the gimbal ring and upper unit to bend out the part that scrapes.

DonziJon
02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
On the F14, we have water leaking into the boat from the transom plate where the two bottom "Anodic Bolts" go thru.

I neglected to put Mercury part 12-32620, washers on. Are these some kind of sealing washers? Before I fill the hole with caulk, what have others done, as it seems like these washers may be inadequate even though I have not seen them yet. Later Gen II models do not use these thru bolts, they use studs so this is not an issue.

PS, we had some scrape-age (second pic) of the gimbal ring against the lower unit. I think it is bent and I will simply bend it back hoping it doesn't break. Comments?

I would NOT try to bend that piece back. It's cast aluminum and cast aluminum DOES NOT like to be Unbent. If you are actually able to bend it, it will fracture and then you will be worse off..big time. :bonk:

I recommend trying to find another way to prevent the rubbing...shims, washers, adjustment, ...loosen one side and tighten the other, etc. OR leave it alone. John

EDIT: I just noticed..there is no washer under that big Nylok nut. That will wring out the paint under it. Need washer.

rustnrot
02-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks all, I got one of the Mercruiser washers locally. They only had one. It was about the size of a garden hose washer and pure rubber, probably neoprene. I got another one at Home Depot and now am all set.

Regarding the bent arm, I think I will leave alone for now, thanks!

DonziJon
02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
The washer I am talkin about is a solid *SS washer that is required under ALL (5) big Nylok nuts that hold the Alpha I in place. The sixth washer....is already provided as a SS tab, on the drive and is part of the "Bonding" system. "Bonding" provides corrosion (electrical) protection for the dissimilar metals in the drive system. Ignore that system at your peril. John

*Washer: .875 OD, .450 ID and .105 thick. SO: What does that mean? 7/8 inch outside diameter. about 7/16 inside diameter, ..and a little less than 1/8 inch thick.