PDA

View Full Version : Port or starboard steering ??

HIGH LIFE
01-31-2009, 07:06 PM
bverd listed a '76 16' I/O in Maryland. Question,boat has port steering, my '76 O/B has starboard steering. Could this boat be a different year ? Were all O/B boats starboard drive ? HIGH LIFE

MOP
01-31-2009, 07:16 PM
bverd listed a '76 16' I/O in Maryland. Question,boat has port steering, my '76 O/B has starboard steering. Could this boat be a different year ? Were all O/B boats starboard drive ? HIGH LIFE

The outboard engines back then were mostly right hand rotation which tends to lift the Stbd, side of the boat, bverd's boat probably has a Volvo setup with left hand rotation which does the opposite.

Phil

HIGH LIFE
01-31-2009, 10:04 PM
MOP, are you saying they had 2 different decks that they used,depending on the prop rotating ? HIGH LIFE

MOP
01-31-2009, 10:59 PM
They had a few configurations of decks, tubs and hull changes, not sure all what but someone will jump in with the correct poop!

mattyboy
02-02-2009, 08:25 AM
pre 1980 there were 2 deck configurations on the 16

the ski sporter was a lh helm with the _] shaped lounge on the starboard side lh i/o application

the 16 baby was an outboard boat with a well for the motor and was a starboard helm with the L shaped lounge on the port side as for the reason mop stated at the time most outboards were rh rotation.

post 1980 there were 3 deck configurations

the sweet 16 right hand helm with the lounge seation on the port side i/o application

the 16 classic rh helm with a 2+2 seating configuration two front buckets and a bench seat in the back

the 16 classic outboard same seating and helm arrangement as the 16 classic but with the outboard well

i am searching for a pic i think there is one in florida can i get a little help here ;)

the post 1990 hulls are a tad narrower from what i heard and were taken from a donzi splash at the time as no 16 molds made it to the Staple era from the chisholm era when donzi was sold in 1985

pics can be seen here

http://www.donzi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=514

BigGrizzly
02-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Jack KEefs 16 was originally a v6 twin buckets and starboard steering. I think Brad's boat has trim and tilt too. It is a nice boat.