PDA

View Full Version : Senator Daschle

DonziJon
01-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Here we go again. Looks like another Important Democrat doesn't think he needs to pay taxes. I hope he Apologizes soon so we can get on with his confirmation to his new position with the new administration. I hate it when this happens. :bonk: John
__________________________________________________ ___

Daschle Pays Back Taxes, Has President Obama’s ‘Confidence’
Email | Print | A A A

By Aliza Marcus

Jan. 31 (Bloomberg) -- Tom Daschle, who has amended his U.S. tax forms to pay back taxes with interest, remains the appropriate individual to be U.S. President Barack Obama’s chief health official, White House spokesman Bill Burton said.

“The president has confidence that Senator Daschle is the right person to lead the fight for health-care reform,” Burton said yesterday in a statement.

Daschle, 61, paid more than $100,000 in back taxes and interest, the New York Times reported yesterday, citing unnamed administration officials. Daschle paid the taxes on the use of a car and driver provided free by Leo Hindery Jr., a founder of the private equity firm InterMedia Advisors, the Times and ABC News reported.

Daschle’s nomination as Health and Human Services secretary must be confirmed by the Senate Finance Committee. Chairman Max Baucus, a Montana Democrat, and ranking Republican Charles Grassley of Iowa, will meet Feb. 2 to discuss nominations, Carol Guthrie, committee spokeswoman, said in a telephone interview.

“In preparation for his nomination, Senator Daschle and his accountant identified some tax issues and fixed them,” Burton said. “We are confident the committee is going to schedule a hearing for him very soon and he will be confirmed.”

Obama nominated Daschle, a former U.S. senator who rose to majority leader, on Dec. 11, saying he would be a “leading architect” of efforts to revamp the U.S. health-care system.

Stalled in Committee

His confirmation has been stalled in the Senate Finance Committee. The same panel confirmed Timothy Geithner after grilling him on his failure to pay almost $50,000 in taxes.

Daschle served in Congress for 26 years, losing his Senate seat in 2004. In 2005, he joined an advisory board for InterMedia. Daschle most recently worked as a special policy adviser for the Washington office of law firm Alston and Bird, advising clients on issues related to health care, among other things, according to a statement on the firm’s Web Site

Hindery, formerly an executive in the cable-TV industry, didn’t immediately return a voice mail left on his cell phone.

Ghost
01-31-2009, 01:50 PM
"Sorry, but my cash flow management was awful--I just didn't have the cash to pay until some long-overdue kickbacks and bribes came in."

RedDog
01-31-2009, 02:24 PM
...Daschle, 61, paid more than $100,000 in back taxes and interest, the New York Times reported yesterday, citing unnamed administration officials. Daschle paid the taxes on the use of a car and driver provided free by Leo Hindery Jr., a founder of the private equity firm InterMedia Advisors...

This is only part of the fraud. This story fails to mention the latest. Seems he also failed to paid taxes on $83,000 paid to him in consulting fees in what I think was 2007

DonziJon
01-31-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm starting to understand why Democrats are always in favor of raising your taxes......It's NOT really a problem for them. THEY DON"T HAVE TO PAY TAXES. :bonk: John

gcarter
01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Darn it!
If only he hadn't been nominated, he probably would have never had to pay them.
The greed for power will get them every time.

Just Say N20
01-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Deleted.

DonziJon
02-01-2009, 06:13 PM
You know what will really Suck for Mr.Daschle (D)...(keeping in mind he remembered to pay his taxes to get the new job).....IF he doesn't get the job.........What a freakin BUMMER..DAM: :bonk: John

DonziJon
02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Senator Daschle (D), HAS APOLOGIZED for his unfortunate omissions. That should be Enough. :yes: NOW he can be confirmed without further delay...AND.. Begin our long awaited transition to Socialized Medicine in this country. :bonk: John

BigGrizzly
02-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I wonder how many people are in jail because of this tax, tax evasion the better way of putting it. Now I am scared The press actually mentioned this dilemma. Ges if it were McCain, Pali n or bush the news wold have demanded the death sentence:nilly:

chappy
02-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Withdrawn.

DonziJon
02-03-2009, 01:03 PM
TOTAL BUMMER. He paid all those dam back taxes and No Stinkin Job afterall. The pay wasn't all that good anyways. :bonk: But Wait: Maybe he made a deal to get his back taxes back if he withdrew...... to spare the president................:lookaroun: John