PDA

View Full Version : How not to sink your Donzi

MOP
01-30-2009, 05:24 AM
Believe me several of our boats have been sunk due to the hatch draining into the bilge, the sinking's include boats on hoists yup dry on the outside yet full of water!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49297&highlight=hatch+drains

VetteLT193
01-30-2009, 08:03 AM
on a related note, has anyone added tubing to the cockpit drain holes so the water dumps right by the bilge pump, instead of dumping on the high side of the hull and having to take the long route to the pump (or drain).

The way it is set up now it seems like it's almost impossible to keep the hull dry by all the stringers.

mattyboy
01-30-2009, 08:45 AM
sounds like a plan but i would start by putting in the plug first or re connecting that raw water pickup thats the one that get ya. never really had that problem on the 16 and it was in the water for a few hurricanes and tropical storms never had more than like 2 or 3 gallons which is hardly noticed in a 16 bilge

BigGrizzly
01-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I have a question. Now the hatch gunnel is fixed what about the vents. Both the Corsican and the Criterion get rain in them. Side note the Criterion vents are on the side and going to an event in a rain storm is not very dry inside. I love your Idea. The on;u problem is that on my boats I don't have a flat corner. I went into the shop and rounded up all the stuff and then lifted the hatch. What a B****. Well at least I have it. and can put it on my list to modify. Funny Phil, us old farts can come up with some pretty neat stuff.

VetteLT193
01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
I have a question. Now the hatch gunnel is fixed what about the vents. Both the Corsican and the Criterion get rain in them. Side note the Criterion vents are on the side and going to an event in a rain storm is not very dry inside. I love your Idea. The on;u problem is that on my boats I don't have a flat corner. I went into the shop and rounded up all the stuff and then lifted the hatch. What a B****. Well at least I have it. and can put it on my list to modify. Funny Phil, us old farts can come up with some pretty neat stuff.

I haven't noticed rain coming in on the side vents of the Minx, aren't they the same/similar to the Criterion? It could be that there is so much water coming in off the hatch that I can't tell water is coming in from the vents too :bonk:

I have to look at the vent boxes again, can they be turned up-side down, or are there openings on the top and bottom? that would work on all but the bilge blower vent if there is only an opening on one side.

BigGrizzly
01-30-2009, 10:01 AM
The vent boxes can be turned upside down, there are bilge blower issues and some clearence issues -mine were not symmetrical.

MOP
01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
on a related note, has anyone added tubing to the cockpit drain holes so the water dumps right by the bilge pump, instead of dumping on the high side of the hull and having to take the long route to the pump (or drain).

The way it is set up now it seems like it's almost impossible to keep the hull dry by all the stringers.

You need to look a little closer at the pictures in the link, the port side has its own through transom drain and the stbd. side is T-ed into the bilge pump hose. None of the hatch water ends up in the bilge, like I noted in that post I watched my bilge pump cycle every few minutes in a rain storm. Now I find extremely little water in the bilge no matter how hard it rains.

Phil

VetteLT193
01-30-2009, 10:42 AM
You need to look a little closer at the pictures in the link, the port side has its own through transom drain and the stbd. side is T-ed into the bilge pump hose. None of the hatch water ends up in the bilge, like I noted in that post I watched my bilge pump cycle every few minutes in a rain storm. Now I find extremely little water in the bilge no matter how hard it rains.

Phil

I gotcha on those, I'm speaking of the drain holes in the cockpit. When water drains out of the cockpit it goes out of the two holes in the corners, which puts dumps it on the very outside stringer. The water has to trickle through the whole bilge to get out