PDA

View Full Version : Add this to your home isulations thoughts!

MOP
01-29-2009, 05:06 PM
A few weeks back I read article about the heat loss from the basements in all homes, the loss could be as high as 50% depending on material, exposure and frost line depth. Last weekend I bought and started to install 2" blue board with an R factor of 10, our weather has been cold enough to gauge any gain, With 20 panels up covering about 1/3 the walls the temp change seems noticeable. I have a thermometer down there and started with 57 degrees with the outside temps running in the 20's I will report the change when done!

Phil

boxy
01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Phil are you covering the Styrofoam Board with sheetrock for fire protection ??

MOP
01-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Steve I am not going to use any near oil burner, can't take chances with foam near heat though this Buderus boiler has a stack you can put your hand on when it is running.

MOP
02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Well it is not in the 20+ degrees like when I started this project but the temp has not gone below 70 degrees in the basement in days with still about 15 feet of wall to go. We some amazed at how much warmer the floors are and the added comfort of not having a cold basement. Between the new Buderus system and this, the oil tank is going down a lot slower.