PDA

View Full Version : 28 zxo.....

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Alright, poor Boo Boo has put up with my Donzi addiction, for which I have found no cure, for 4 years now. She really wants a family boat now that we have the twins on the way. We have looked at Formula and Ebbtide, but I kinda like the 28 ZXO. Anyone know anything about these? Is this basically a 28 ZX hull with a small cuddy and bow rider? How much power can you throw at one? Just because it is a family boat, doesn't mean it can't go along at a nice clip....:wink: Found a couple of 1999's and 2000's that seem reasonable. Most with twin 350's or 6.2's, but a couple of Scorpions around as well. can you say Whipple?

The Critter isn't going anywhere, this would be another addition to what is becoming the Pearson Fleet. Thanks.

The Hedgehog
01-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Alright, poor Boo Boo has put up with my Donzi addiction, for which I have found no cure, for 4 years now. She really wants a family boat now that we have the twins on the way. We have looked at Formula and Ebbtide, but I kinda like the 28 ZXO. Anyone know anything about these? Is this basically a 28 ZX hull with a small cuddy and bow rider? How much power can you throw at one? Just because it is a family boat, doesn't mean it can't go along at a nice clip....:wink: Found a couple of 1999's and 2000's that seem reasonable. Most with twin 350's or 6.2's, but a couple of Scorpions around as well. can you say Whipple?
The Critter isn't going anywhere, this would be another addition to what is becoming the Pearson Fleet. Thanks.

You need at least 3 boats.

I like the idea of scorps on that one. Yes, it is what you said.

The Critter did not cure her need for a bow rider?

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 04:46 PM
The Critter did not cure her need for a bow rider?

Bill, she is already giving me hell for pulling the engine. I am getting-

"Just like everything, you start messing with things and then you spend a bunch of money and time to fix what you screwed up. It was fine with the engine that was in it".

"but honey, it will go much faster with the 540"

"I don't care, all it is is a boat with no motor right now, it won't go even 1 mph. Now you are going to mess with it all summer trying to make it run right. Now what is this costing?"

"but honey, never mind, I got nothing"

"Now, I let you buy the jet boat, the 16, the Criterion, and now you WILL buy me a family boat or else!"

"well, how about a 27 ZR, here is a picture" (big mistake by the way)

"You call that a family boat? I swear, one of these days I am going to smack you"

"Ok, I will look at family boats, how about a 28ZXO".

"Let me guess, it is made by Donzi"

"ummm, no it is made by,.....Crownline, you will love it!"

"maybe, does it have a cuddy and a bowrider"

"sure does"

"does it go fast"

"Not really, might hit 45 mph"

"maybe, I have to see some pictures"

And that is where we left it.:)

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah, Boo Boo loves to wakeboard, as sad as it is, I would have to put a wakeboard tower on it.:mad:

The Hedgehog
01-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Oh yeah, Boo Boo loves to wakeboard, as sad as it is, I would have to put a wakeboard tower on it.:mad:

You will want twins and big tabs. Maybe spacers.

I have had this:

Why did you sell the bigger boat and get a smaller one?

Because I wanted to go faster.

Yes, but you put that blower in the other boat so it would go faster. Did it not go fast enough? (I felt good that the could drop the blower word)

Yes, but not as fast as Brians.

How fast do you want to go?

Very fast. I also wanted a project. (dumb thing to say)

Didn't we get the X-18 for that?

Well yes, but I wanted a classic boat, this is a poker run boat. Hey, wasn't it you that wanted the 18 so you could have something to drive?

Hmmm?

12 months later:

Ok, so you have your fast boat, now I want a cruiser

Uhhh, ok.

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Right now I have to get a couple of pics and photoshop the Donzi off it and put Crownline on it.........:bonk:

Yeah, I got nothing......:wink:

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 05:19 PM
You will want twins and big tabs. Maybe spacers.

All the ones I have found have twin SBC in them. One was a Scorpion package.

I guess I don't care if it doesn't run 80, I have the Critter for that.....:)

RedDog
01-29-2009, 05:42 PM
... and then you spend a bunch of money and ...

Thus the name of my boat - "Genuine Trouble" - and the remodeled kitchen / screened porch. I shoulda stayed in my bass boat...

onesubdrvr
01-29-2009, 05:44 PM
I'd own a 28ZXO in a heartbeat...

Me too!!!!

It really would be the perfect boat for me with the kids 'n all,... but in all seriousness, by the time I can afford one, the kids will be gone ;)

Wayne

The Hedgehog
01-29-2009, 05:53 PM

Nah, twin small blocks would be fine. You can always add boost later to compensate for the altitude. I sort of figured that you would do that anyway!

FISHIN SUCKS
01-29-2009, 05:55 PM
If it makes a hill-o-beans, I have had ours in the low 70's with twin 350's. I like speed, but I like to look good (i need all the help I can get), and this boat does all that. The zxo would make a nice family boat, but we wanted more room to sleep overnight on ours. If you have read any of my posts, you will know that I just can't say enough good things about this boat, we LOVE IT. Good luck in your search,

tom

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Tom,
How big is the Cuddy? Will it sleep two comfortably? Definetly a possibility. Thanks for the info.

The Hedgehog
01-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Tom,
How big is the Cuddy? Will it sleep two comfortably? Definetly a possibility. Thanks for the info.

I think that he is getting on a plane right now.

The 28ZX cabin is pretty nice sized for a 28. It will sleep two fine.

Ghost
01-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Sounds like a 28 Sportsman with a pair of big blocks and a tower...

BigGrizzly
01-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Scott remember the last time you got Heidi a boat for Valentines day. Or you just getting John in trouble. Red dog you got away with only a kitchen an a screened porch. god she was easy. It cost me a kitchen and a house to go around it. Good part I got my garage.:yes:

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey, Boo Boo is already getting a house......:bonk:

FISHIN SUCKS
01-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I think that he is getting on a plane right now.
The 28ZX cabin is pretty nice sized for a 28. It will sleep two fine.
Bill's right, but I had a chance to jump on here before my 10 hour jaunt to Atlanta. I am 6'4", Barbi is 5'4 and 1/2", and we were bery comfortable for 3 nights in a row. There's even room to get a little crazy, but don't say anything to Barbi;). Let me know if you have any other questions John.
Tom

Air 22
01-29-2009, 07:41 PM

Scorpion Pkg:eek:...did u say Scorpion Pkg?...verrrrrrrry niiiiiiiiiiice:yes:

Dr. Dan even has some bad azz gear w the Scorpion Logo....

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 07:54 PM
:yes::yes::yes:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-DONZI-28ZXO-SCORPION-EDITION-88984592

754 hp ought to move it at a decent clip......:bonk:

Air 22
01-29-2009, 08:03 PM

DW...that is one sweet boat...I've seen a 28ZX hit 85 plus up on Lake Winni, NH...u put some Whipple Nipples on that thing it will flyyyyyyyyyy:yes:

One of our possibilities as r next boat is the ZXO in Red/Black with the Scorpions:kingme:

osur866
01-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Very nice bow riders! Steve

BUIZILLA
01-29-2009, 08:11 PM
as worthless as the cabin is on the 27ZR, maybe an open bow would sell more product...

don't shoot the messenger

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 08:20 PM
as worthless as the cabin is on the 27ZR, maybe an open bow would sell more product...

Hey, family boats and ski/wakeboard boats are hot right now.....:wink:

I like the 28ZXO, nice lines.......:)

gcarter
01-30-2009, 04:37 AM
The ZXO is the PERFECT day boat. With scorpions, it screams. The little mid cabin is big enough to do a little necessary business, or seat a couple out of the rain if you're caught out. I think over all it'll seat 9 or 10 if pushed.
I like them!
In fact, I met Road Trip for the first time in the bow of one in the middle of Sarasota Bay. We were in a 2'-3' chop and going about 65. I couldn't believe how good the ride was.

FISHIN SUCKS
01-30-2009, 06:52 AM
She should definitely run in the low 80's, Mikey's (Trueser) 2000 scorp will do that. That boat being in Ohio, and looking at the shoreline in one of the pictures, looks kinda like Lake Cumberland, anybody seen it out there? She's definitely sharp!

Donziweasel
01-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Man, you guys are killing me! I am falling for this boat. The little cuddy will sleep 2, and I am only 5'10, Boo Boo 5'7. Kids, when they are old enough, can sleep in the bow rider. Perfect for changing diapers for a year or two. Just have to convince Boo Boo this is the boat for us. She really likes the Formula 26SS and the Ebb Tide 2600ss Cuddy/bow rider. The 28ZXO is pretty close, especailly to the Ebb Tide.

You know Buiz, while to some, chopping a 27ZR up and putting in a bow rider would be sacrilage, Donzi needs to survive. Since they killed the more family oriented ZX line, they have nothing for this market. Fish boats and go fast. If it sold more 27 ZR's and opened up the 27 to a bigger market, why not? This is about survival, not about die hard beliefs.

I am sure I am not the only one in this predicament. I want to go fast, she wants a comfortable family boat. Why can't you have both? I am sure many a husband has given up his go fast dreams for the ole' family boat. Funny how the husband usually loses that aruguement. :wink:

Some great deals out there. You can get a used one in great shape for the price of new 18. That particular Scorpion boat is a little high, but some nice ones for 35,000.00-50,000.00.

BUIZILLA
01-30-2009, 07:46 AM
You know Buiz, while to some, chopping a 27ZR up and putting in a bow rider would be sacrilage, Donzi needs to survive. Since they killed the more family oriented ZX line, they have nothing for this market. Fish boats and go fast. if you refine an existing 27ZR inner liner for performance theme, or performance family theme, that's not chopping up a hull, it makes it DUAL USAGE... it's putting better use to an existing design to sell more boats... I am ALL about family stuff FIRST, and the current 27ZR is virtually worthless for that.... look at all the 27's for sale within the first year of purchase, or never sold in the first place, and tell me i'm wrong... personally I think they should have taken the 26ZX and made it an open bow, use the 320, 375 or 425 Merc engines for USA, or a Volvo or Cummins diesel for Euro markets, and they would have had a slam dunk all around winner... Donzi is completely missing the 20-30' FAMILY market and making the 27 more FAMILY FRIENDLY would open up new doors... IMHO

undertaker
01-30-2009, 08:28 AM
DW, I owned a 2000 28ZX twin 350's loved the boat ran 70 mph all day long..was trouble free and pretty good on fuel with the small blocks.....IMO the ZX or ZXO would be a nice family boat, you have a cuddy to keep the kids out of the sun & weather if need be and you have a great rough water boat, along with a good top end boat.....

The only reason I sold my 28ZX was to move up to a 33ZX...good luck in your decision...keep us posted..:):)

PS The scorpion boat is a great package, but you can not go wrong with the 350 or 6.2 packages either...:pimp::pimp:

Donziweasel
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Showed Boo Boo some pictures, she loves it! She said two conditions, 1. She picks the color. She does not like flashy graphics or checkered flag graphics. 2. I have to put a wakeboard tower on it.

You know, a foward facing tower (starts toward the rear of the boat and goes foward) like and inverted radar arch might look nice if it has to have one.

With twins in the ass of a 28ZXO, might throw a nice wake for wakeboarding........:wink:

The Hedgehog
01-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Showed Boo Boo some pictures, she loves it! She said two conditions, 1. She picks the color. She does not like flashy graphics or checkered flag graphics. 2. I have to put a wakeboard tower on it.
You know, a foward facing tower (starts toward the rear of the boat and goes foward) like and inverted radar arch might look nice if it has to have one.
With twins in the ass of a 28ZXO, might throw a nice wake for wakeboarding........:wink:

Good deal. I think it makes a great family choice vs the other boats. Ask Tex about his 27ZX (The exact same size) as a family boat. It's great.

I am sure that a removable tower would work well.

SilverBack
01-30-2009, 09:28 AM

I think a ZRO would be cool!!

SilverBack
01-30-2009, 09:35 AM

I don't know why but my ZX does not throw nearly as big of a wake as my old single SBC Ragazza....Thos wake board boats don't even come close....I really loved that thing!! I thought a few times about buying another one over the last year...It is like a tank and the cabin is bigger than the ZX too!!! BTW....my 23 Ragazza was longer than my 25 ZX...go figure.

FISHIN SUCKS
01-30-2009, 09:50 AM
She does not like flashy graphics or checkered flag graphics. 2:
No Flashy graphics?????? That's not right! Well, to each their own I guess. I guess the fact that I am all about 'gawdy' is not necessarilly for everybody, my 'Mr. T' starter kit that I wear on my fingers and wrist probably says somethin about how I feel. Good luck in your quest, and as always, feel free to ask questions.......but remember, advice is worth what you pay for it:kingme:

gcarter
01-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Maybe I'm confused....
I've been through the ZXO mid cabin and I don't remember any bunks in there, just some facing seats, a potty, and a small sink. How do you sleep two in there?

Donziweasel
01-30-2009, 09:56 AM
I think the two seats fold down into a small bed. Not too worried, we usually camp on shore anyway. If anything, when weather comes up, and it can come up quick in the Rockies, it is a nice place to duck into and wait out a shower or change some diapers........:wink:

FISHIN SUCKS
01-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I think the two seats fold down into a small bed. Not too worried, we usually camp on shore anyway. If anything, when weather comes up, and it can come up quick in the Rockies, it is a nice place to duck into and wait out a shower or change some diapers........:wink:
If it's anything like our opposing seats in our cuddy, they don't fold, they don't lift up, they don't do anything but support your butt! I am in the process of making a foldable table w/vinyl foam pad to make a bed for our 2 kids. I attached some pix if I did it right you 'happy camper'!

FISHIN SUCKS
01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
no, i didnt do it right....if you look in the 2nd page of the 'show us your zx or pantera' thread, I have cuddy pix there

Donziweasel
01-30-2009, 05:44 PM
No Flashy graphics??????

Boo Boo says not flashy graphics, then no flashy graphics. She figured out real quick it was a Donzi, but really studied it this morning. I showed here a few pics and quietly watched her study them for about 15 minutes. Then she looked up said, no flashy graphics and it has to have a wakeboard tower. Well, better on a 28 ZXO than on the Criterion......:bonk::bonk::bonk:

So, it looks like we stay in the Donzi family. I told her how nice the ride was, how the dual engines were safer than one, that it might be a Donzi but very family oriented, basically, I lied my ass off. Well, maybe thats not the best way to put it, how about I left some things out like it will go 70+ and has room for superchargers......yes Bill, you knew what i was thinking.:wink:

FISHIN SUCKS
01-31-2009, 10:30 PM
So, it looks like we stay in the Donzi family. I told her how nice the ride was, how the dual engines were safer than one, that it might be a Donzi but very family oriented, basically, I lied my ass off. Well, maybe thats not the best way to put it, how about I left some things out like it will go 70+ and has room for superchargers......:
You can sleep at night, you are not lyin'. I have 2 kids that I know of (according to the Maury Show) and this 28 fits the bill. Let us know how it goes Brutha!

Pismo
02-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Does the ZXO have a head? Wish they made it in a single engine config.

roadtrip se
02-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Alton Blakely, in Somerset, Ky, has a new leftover with solid red hull sides last time I checked. I think it has the 6.2's. Might fit the bill for no flashy graphics...

They do have a habit of asking stupid prices at this place, but I bet it could be bought right. Oh, and it's in my neighborhood, so I could go abuse them, um, I mean inspect the boat, for you.

http://abwatersports.com/New_Car_Dealer_Lexington_KY.html

SilverBack
02-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Boo Boo says not flashy graphics, then no flashy graphics. She figured out real quick it was a Donzi, but really studied it this morning. I showed here a few pics and quietly watched her study them for about 15 minutes. Then she looked up said, no flashy graphics and it has to have a wakeboard tower. Well, better on a 28 ZXO than on the Criterion......:bonk::bonk::bonk:

So, it looks like we stay in the Donzi family. I told her how nice the ride was, how the dual engines were safer than one, that it might be a Donzi but very family oriented, basically, I lied my ass off. Well, maybe thats not the best way to put it, how about I left some things out like it will go 70+ and has room for superchargers......yes Bill, you knew what i was thinking.:wink:

I don't know what she is expecting but I don't think you lied to her when you told her that it is a family boat. I just have a little old 25 ZX and it is a family boat for sure. I kind of felt the same way about fudging the truth a little while I was building my boat but now that it is done it is a perfect family boat. It is very quiet and you can hold a conversation between the bolsters and the rear seat at 40 with no problem. It is actually a lot nicer than the Chis Craft deck boat or the Ragazza for cruising around. The cabin is not quite as tall. It has plenty of room though. It does not have the railing around the deck and it gets pretty slippery up there with the Leverage but you just have to watch your step. Get her to look at my graphics or lack there of and see what she thinks. It is not flashy at all. Come to think of it you may need to just buy my boat!!!

Donziweasel
02-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Pismo, I think they offered big singles, just not many listed in the used market right now.

Todd, great looking one. just what Boo Boo would like. Not quite in the market yet, just doing a little preliminary investigating. Thanks for the offer to abuse, I mean, inspect the dealer.:)

Kieth, couldn't afford it and if Boo Boo found out is was capable of 100 mph, she would immediatly say no. :wink:

SilverBack
02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Pismo, I think they offered big singles, just not many listed in the used market right now.

Todd, great looking one. just what Boo Boo would like. Not quite in the market yet, just doing a little preliminary investigating. Thanks for the offer to abuse, I mean, inspect the dealer.:)

Kieth, couldn't afford it and if Boo Boo found out is was capable of 100 mph, she would immediatly say no. :wink:

I am sure that you can afford it!!!:wink:

She will not know it is capable of going 100 if you don't tell her!! It looks and sounds like about a 60 mph boat!! She might ask you ...like mine did...is that whining sound something not running right.......:yes:

zelatore
02-01-2009, 12:26 PM

Well, at your altitude 100 mph ain't what it used to be. You need that kind of power just to get on plane, right?

I got your back!

Pismo
02-01-2009, 07:27 PM
A single 525 would be nice.

show-n-go h2o
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM

nice looking boat, if you need someone to go and check it out let me know, vandalia is right up the street from me and a few others on here

roadtrip se
02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
nice looking boat, if you need someone to go and check it out let me know, vandalia is right up the street from me and a few others on here

This boat was at Norris Lake outside of Knoxville when I called on it last fall.

The guy is a builder and dables in re-selling boats on the side. He didn't seem really anxious to sell, because his wife liked the boat for tooling around the lake. Imagine that....