PDA

View Full Version : 1970 sweet 16 **********DEAL or NOT!

falknz
01-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi guys,

New here, been around boats all my life. I found a "complete" sweet sixteen. Ford 302, hollman & Moody, trailer. Definately not a runner but looks promising. Asking $3500, I'm intending to offer less. Any deal breakers to look for? I will post pics when able.

mattyboy
01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
just the normal stuff,

in a 1970 boat a rotting steel gas tank , soft coring , and wet stringers and transoms. but not really a big deal it just comes with the territory
good luck post pics

seano
01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I saw that one too...looks like a pretty good deal to me...i think it needs an interior though...

falknz
01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Yes it needs an interior. The Gelcoat looks shiny but not good all over. Has the standeard become repaint with some sort of LPU? What about outdrive updates, Bravo 1 or similiar?

Thanks, Neil

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
WARNING-The Surgeon General has determined that buying this boat could be hazardous to your health and more importantly, your bank account. Purchasing older Donzi's in need of resotoring have been linked to spending very much money and many years of neglicting the rest of your life. Also, it has been determined that restoring this Donzi could become addictive monetarily and mentally. The Surgeon General recommends 10,000.00 in your bank account and a part time job so 100's of hours can be utilized on restoring the boat before purchase.

MOP
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Stick with the Volvo it is without doubt more durable than most any other!

onesubdrvr
01-29-2009, 05:40 PM
WARNING-The Surgeon General has determined that buying this boat could be hazardous to your health and more importantly, your bank account. Purchasing older Donzi's in need of resotoring have been linked to spending very much money and many years of neglicting the rest of your life. Also, it has been determined that restoring this Donzi could become addictive monetarily and mentally. The Surgeon General recommends 10,000.00 in your bank account and a part time job so 100's of hours can be utilized on restoring the boat before purchase.
GREAT!!! NOW you tell me?!?!

:D:D:D:D:D

Wayne

Sweet Cheekz
01-29-2009, 05:45 PM
GREAT!!! NOW you tell me?!?!

:D:D:D:D:D

Wayne

Yeah who knew? Maybe this warning saves the next guy NK

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Ooops, did I forget to mention that Wayne?:):bonk::wink:

falknz
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Here are some pics.

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Read above Sugeon General warning above again......:bonk:

Seriously, that thing is in rough shape. No hardware, rigging. It will take a lot of time and $$$$$$$$ to get it right. Don't expect to buy this boat and be on the water this year, or maybe even the next.

Guarantee it will need a gas tank, that means deck off. Got to be soft spots in it, might have transon rot, same with stringers. Engine run? Boat is going to need a lot of work.

handfulz28
01-29-2009, 07:50 PM
"complete"

Whose definition of "complete" are we using? :bonk:

I like the color of the hull. Not sure I can get into the Hulk green outdrive though. :eek:

Donzi Vol
01-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Most here will disagree with me, buuuuuut what the heck. :)

Take another look at your question here. Consider $7,000 to get it running and looking good (not like new...but good). Plus $3,000 to buy it and you're looking at $10,000 for a sweet 16. Now you can certainly find a complete and ready to go sweet 16 for $10,000. They're out there. But if you want a custom one to your specs, and you enjoy the challenge of getting her where she needs to be, then take on the project. It is all up to what you prefer. IMO as long as you're having fun with your Donzi you're doing the right thing.:yes:

Lenny
01-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Faulknz. We discussed this boat a month ago or so...

Basically, run away :yes:

I am just north of you. It is not that hard to get a decent runner. I have managed a few times now. Take your time and the folks here will help you get it and a good one. :)

Donziweasel
01-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey, I would love to see him save it. Just needs to know what is involved.

Donzi Vol
01-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey, I would love to see him save it. Just needs to know what is involved.

Oh I completely agree. Just pointing out both sides of the coin (pardon the pun...hehe).

Speed Racer
01-29-2009, 08:42 PM
But .. On the other hand, the feeling of pride you will feel as the thing goes back together is pretty much better than any drug you will ever take, and the day it fires it will be like having a baby, and the day it floats, even better..
For me, that is the joy of this project, this crazy little boat, and in some ways, this website.
You guys 'get' it. My girlfriend doesn't, my co-workers don't, my Dad does, but that is because he spent the first half of his life building and racing.

Here is another example.. Killing time at work, trolling ebay and this list looking for throttle and shifter for the V-drive, don't see anything I can afford, nor like, all too modern, and stumbled upon this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300289762582

Yes, I bought, it, I even called the guy to ask him where he got it, and had a great conversation with a fellow boat restorer near Seattle, and I am in the BEST mood right now.. A super cool, New old stock, morse control that will look perfect in the boat...

I love my Donzi!

Do it, it will change your life!!
GG:yes:

mattyboy
01-29-2009, 10:10 PM
the hulk green volvo is actually their zinc primer so someone must have planned on painting it

falknz
01-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Ok,

I've actually done "this once with a 1974 marlin... 455, berkley, good hull lousy interior. Rebuilt the engine (it ran sweet) solid and sounded soooo good. Sold it, it was useless.

Growing up in Seattle on Lake washington, one of the neighbors had a blue Sweet 16 with a white stripe(this was back in 72'), Ive never forgotten that boat. I will find one, I'm willing to travel 2k miles to get it but I guess a big project is not really what I'm after. It could be lacking one of the major systems, outdrive,engine, interior but I guess I don't want rot, rust(in the fuel tank).

Thanks guys!!

Sometimes the journey is the best part, I'll keep looking.

Speed Racer
01-29-2009, 11:00 PM
.. I agree. I figured the little V-drive would be a snap to deal with from a Glass standpoint, and rolled the dice buying it, and was wrong. Having said that, I am not sure you will find an original, un-restored pre- 1975 boat, certainly the balsa cored, knock em out Donzi that will be in good shape from a glass standpoint..

Now, if your checkbook is in good shape, I am certain in these times, you will be able to find one that someone else has already done the dirty work on..

Fiberglass is scary, but not that scary, and you can always 'have it done'. You would be amazed how the prices in boat yards have come down since this country's little adventure into economic disaster.

Good luck to you, and keep an eye out this spring for a nice little White and Red one, terrorizing Lake Washington!

Lenny
01-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Falknaz...

just buy Johns' (DONZIWEASEL) and have 380 horse at sea level and blow your head off for 13K. You will be there anyways with this purchase and it will NEVER be what you have an opportunity to have now... I would buy his (maybe I might after AOTH) but I just bought a welded aluminum today (new) for too much money...

Conquistador_del_mar
01-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Hi guys,

New here, been around boats all my life. I found a "complete" sweet sixteen. Ford 302, hollman & Moody, trailer. Definately not a runner but looks promising. Asking $3500, I'm intending to offer less. Any deal breakers to look for? I will post pics when able.

Like the others have said - you will end up spending quite a bit on the restoration even if you do much of the work yourself, but there is nothing like driving the boat that you restored! Bill

But .. On the other hand, the feeling of pride you will feel as the thing goes back together is pretty much better than any drug you will ever take, and the day it fires it will be like having a baby, and the day it floats, even better..
For me, that is the joy of this project, this crazy little boat, and in some ways, this website.
You guys 'get' it. My girlfriend doesn't, my co-workers don't, my Dad does, but that is because he spent the first half of his life building and racing.

Here is another example.. Killing time at work, trolling ebay and this list looking for throttle and shifter for the V-drive, don't see anything I can afford, nor like, all too modern, and stumbled upon this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300289762582

Yes, I bought, it, I even called the guy to ask him where he got it, and had a great conversation with a fellow boat restorer near Seattle, and I am in the BEST mood right now.. A super cool, New old stock, morse control that will look perfect in the boat...

I love my Donzi!

Do it, it will change your life!!
GG:yes:

Garry,
Too cool with the NOS throttle! It looks exactly like the original chrome ones with the addition of the outer mount. You should be able to remove the red/white throttle portion and mount it. How cool - especially considering your colors. Good find - Bill

smbarcelow
01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
...and stumbled upon this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300289762582...

That looks just like the shifter in my dad's jet boat, except for the color.

Neptune3760
03-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Is the engine a 289 or 302 Hollman and Moody and do the no# match?

Speed Racer
03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Yep the numbers match, and it is a 302 Holman Moody.
Runs beautifully... upholstery in this weekend, and that throttle finally mounted as well!

The goal is to make the opening day parade through the Montlake cut.. It is gonna be close...