PDA

View Full Version : How not to tune-up your motors...

p729lws
01-28-2009, 10:44 PM
This happened a couple weeks ago here in Pensacola. The following is from the local fish wrapper:

What started as a tune-up turned into an inferno Saturday afternoon when a man accidentally sparked a fire that engulfed a twin-engine speedboat in flames. Pensacola Fire Department Capt. Greg Redding said the man was doing boat maintenance in a parking lot at Bayview Park. When he turned the key to test the engine, the engine compartment caught fire.
The man ran to get a fire extinguisher, Redding said, but the flames quickly grew out of control. Firefighters arrived about 1:30 p.m. and quickly extinguished the fire, but Redding said the boat sustained "extensive" damage.

Carl C
01-29-2009, 06:08 AM
The title of the pic is appropriate.:kaioken:

VetteLT193
01-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Reggie will spin this into a positive somehow.

Fountain makes the hottest boat on the market. :kingme:

BUIZILLA
01-29-2009, 07:10 AM
IMO, somebody didn't want the boat anymore... :popcorn:

VetteLT193
01-29-2009, 07:43 AM

That's actually a really good point... who the heck tunes up their boat in the middle of a parking lot?

The Hedgehog
01-29-2009, 07:46 AM
That's actually a really good point... who the heck tunes up their boat in the middle of a parking lot?

And runs it without a hose?

mattyboy
01-29-2009, 08:14 AM
well hedge there were hoses they just got there a little late ;) :tongue:

is bayview park a marina/ramp???

BUIZILLA
01-29-2009, 08:17 AM
middle of wide open parking lot..

no hose.... :nilly:

not hooked to vehicle... :confused:

tire block already under left middle tire.. :eek:

aggressive fire all the way to very front of deck... :boggled:

yup, premeditated to me :popcorn:

mattyboy
01-29-2009, 08:20 AM

just so happens to be parked down wind ;)

BUIZILLA
01-29-2009, 08:47 AM
apparently locating the camera was more important than locating the intentionally missing fire extinguishers...

BigGrizzly
01-29-2009, 08:56 AM
At least he has the hottest boat in Pensacola for a short time

Barry Eller
01-29-2009, 08:58 AM

I told Dan (p729lws) on the phone when he called me about this that it sounded like arson. Can't make the payments, let it go up in smoke.

I'm certain it will be investigated. I hope he is not with my insurance company!

mattyboy
01-29-2009, 09:30 AM
if it was an apache it could be called "smoke signal"

Barry Eller
01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
At least he has the hottest boat in Pensacola for a short time
You got that right!

p729lws
01-29-2009, 09:56 AM
is bayview park a marina/ramp???
Yep, at the public boat ramp.

And runs it without a hose?

That was my first thought. Maybe he was backed down the ramp when it caught fire? Talk about needed to make a decision in a hurry! :nilly:

looked odd to me too. Seams like the fire would be more concentrated near the back and not a strip down the center of the boat.

Dan

Just Say N20
01-29-2009, 10:13 AM

It astounds me the details that you see in pictures :eek:

So many times someone will attach a picture, and I'll be thinking something stupid, like "Gee, if the fire started in the engine compartment, why is the deck already on fire?" Totally missing things like noted above. I've owned many, many boats, so I should have immediately noticed, not hooked to a vehicle but wheel already chocked, no hose to provide water to run engines, etc. I would never take my boat to a public launch to work on it, unless I tried to go out and there was a problem, yet it looks dry under this boat so it hadn't been launched. I would also NEVER unhook the boat from the tow vehicle at a public launch, especially parking ACROSS the designated spaces. So much of this is just wrong, but I was too busy looking at the "pretty flames" to notice.

You guys ROCK.

DonziJon
01-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Wouldn't a boat that fancy likely have a Halon System? :bonk: Engine hatch is closed. Hatch lift prolly malfunctioned. Poof. John

PS: In any case, If my boat caught fire the FIRST thing I woud do is disconnect the truck and get it the hell away from the boat.

mikev
01-29-2009, 11:21 AM
if it was an apache it could be called "smoke signal"

Now that's funny!!

p729lws
01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Wouldn't a boat that fancy likely have a Halon System? In any case, If my boat caught fire the FIRST thing I woud do is disconnect the truck and get it the hell away from the boat.

Yep, if the boat wasn't in danger of rolling into something I'd pull the pin and stomp on the gas. They would find the trailer tounge on the ground w/ the ball still in it.

fasttrucker
01-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Ok,He was changing a fuel filter which was bad.Gas ran out to a live wire say an amp.It caught fire, he jumped out, then cranked down the trailer and pulled out his truck.He had a block for the tire in the truck bed so he put it under a wheel.Sounds good,thats my luck.

DON N.
01-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Looks like the hatch is down , maybe some one had been puffing away in the cuddy ?

Ghost
01-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Not sure I get why there wouldn't be a chock block when one parked to do some work, even when still hooked up to the truck.

But lack of a visible hose for doing that sort of a service seems highly suspect. Especially if there is no hose bib on site.

I'd be pretty interested in the finances.

mattyboy
01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
looks to be a michigan boat by the reg number???

maybe this was a "hot" boat err sorry a stolen boat

smokediver
01-29-2009, 02:51 PM
looking at how the smoke is way forward of the flames it looks like it was a really windy day ... might explain a few things ... might not , lol ....

mattyboy
01-29-2009, 02:59 PM
actually what you don't see is there is a guy tuning up his fan boat just out of the frame he really had it running good

DonziJon
01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
This may be a little off topic but I'll give it a shot anyhow. Stick with me on this. Prolly not many of you youngins have ever heard of an old Military method for shining your shoes for an important inspection. It was called a Spit Shine. Everyone had their own little secrets on how to do it. Using paste shoe polish, apply the polish heavily with a small piece of an old skivvy shirt and rub it in to the shoe as thoroughly as possable, occasionally spitting on the shoe to make the polish "flow" better. (I'm not making this up)

This procedure would often take as many as 4 hours per shoe...depending how good you were. Some guys would put off this chore until the last minute and there just wasn't any rushing when it came to getting a good shine.

However, some guys found a shortcut that sometimes worked a little faster. Apply the polish a little on the heavy side, squirt lighter fluid on the shoe and light it up with your Zippo. Everybody had a Zippo. Once the fire burned itself out..usually just a few seconds, go back to polishing until a good shine was achieved....This little trick helped the polish penetrate the leather.

This was a lucrative past time for some guys who were good at it. The going rate in the early sixties (Navy) was Five Bucks per shoe for an Inspection Grade shine.

SO: What I'm suggesting here is maybe the owner of this Founting was just doing a Spit Shine on his foredeck..... Just wantin to explore every possability. :yes: Thanks for your interest. John

zelatore
01-30-2009, 11:24 AM
SO: What I'm suggesting here is maybe the owner of this Founting was just doing a Spit Shine on his foredeck..... Just wantin to explore every possability. :yes: Thanks for your interest. John
Not a stretch at all....I can totally see somebody telling that story to the cops/adjuster with a straight face.

MOP
01-30-2009, 12:08 PM

DITTO tune up on a trailer out in a lot with no truck in sight seems very Fishy to me!!!!!!!!

A few of us who have been in the boat biz have seen some boats judging by how far the fire got he was very fast to grab his camera, many do not realize how quick a glass boat goes up. Besides what I have seen I have first hand with my Formula catching fire in the middle of the bay, I would have given most anything to be able to walk/run on water that day. I was fished out by another boat that saw it go up, glad it was summer he had to run a good 1/2 mile to get me. It stalled that is when I first saw a little smoke coming out under the jump seats, before I could fully get out out of my helm seat the flames burst into the cockpit area. Needless to say I got wet in a big hurry and watched it burn part way down to the water before I was picked, it sunk in about 10 minutes from seeing the first smoke.

Phil

Pismo
01-31-2009, 05:01 PM
It's a torch job...