PDA

View Full Version : VHF Radio on a Donzi?

CJmike
01-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Does anybody run a VHF radio on their Donzi?

Handheld or fixed mount.

If fixed mount what did you do about the antenna?

We are thinking about doing some boating next year that would make a VHF radio nice if not lifesaving. Just want to hear some thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike

fogducker III
01-28-2009, 07:15 PM
A good quality hand held all the way, you can easily take it out of the boat in doors when not in use and I find a good quality one works better than a mounted unit, especially since you would be putting the antenna for the mounted one up under the bow or up on the inside of the gunwale, only place to mount it without having it sticking up in the air and looking like a long haul trucker....:garfield:

I have a uniden and it works great, nice for up to date weather reports.

Carl C
01-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Handheld. I discussed this here a while ago and the problem with a fixed VHF is the need for a fold down antenna. The small antennas aren't any better than a handheld I guess. I'm assuming you have a 22' or less boat.

CJmike
01-28-2009, 07:45 PM
27zx

Carl I found your thread and found lots of great info.
But what about mounting an antenna under the engine hatch. Seems to me it won't work but I know squat so maybe I am wrong.

The Hedgehog
01-28-2009, 08:08 PM
27zx

Carl I found your thread and found lots of great info.
But what about mounting an antenna under the engine hatch. Seems to me it won't work but I know squat so maybe I am wrong.

It needs to stick up to work. Go to the West Marine site. They have a chart for antenna height vs miles of reception.

If you want to do it let me know. I have an antenna mounting bracket for the 26ZX. I need an excuse to take it off. It is a nice stainless piece. I will be happy to give it to you.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Here is some useful information. http://reviews.ebay.com/VHF-Marine-Radio-Antenna-Buying-Guide_W0QQugidZ10000000000015940
You could use a temporary rail mounted base loaded antenna with a hidden radio for trips where you wouldn't ordinarily have or need a VHF due to their appearance. You will be limited with handheld units to their power output where a regular unit will put out as much as 25W. Xmission will be what should determine your needs. Reception is the easy factor. Bill

MOP
01-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I carried a hand held VHF for a long time still own a couple of Icom's, but now just carry my cell phone. The cell phone has very good range needs no extras, I feel they do atleast as good if not better the many hand held VHF's. Bonnie's son has been offshore fishing and still reachable by phone, on a busy weekend the VHF can be a pain.

Phil

VetteLT193
01-29-2009, 02:30 PM
My brother's 22 has a screw in antenna on the bow. when it is not screwed in, it doesn't stick up more than an inch and is very small. His VHF is mounted on the floor above the driver's feet.

To be honest, for me, I'd go hand held unless you are doing some serious long distance stuff.