PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Ice Storm!

The Hedgehog
01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
I escaped late yesterday afternoon. I was working in E-town and it was a mess. When I went to visit my client on Tues am, my truck looked like a weather channel disaster picture. It took me a while to get it thawed. I bolted around 3:00 pm and it was getting bad. I was watching trees break as I drove down the interstate.

It looks like it will take a while to recover. I hope that everyone is ok.

It was 63 degrees when I got out of my truck at the house in Tn. Crazy weather.

zelatore
01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I've got some friends who live just over the river from Louisville in Indiana, they said it was pretty bad there as well.

I recall one time I was coming back to Princeton, IN from Mammoth Cave, KY in my Alfa GTV6. Started out as a decent day but started snowing. Then it got heavier and heavier. By the end, I was on I64 only making about 35 mph - any faster and I'd just start spinning the rear tires. The pathetic heat and defroster in the car wasn't keeping up, so I had to stop several times to scrape the windshield. That combined with the ice build up on the headlights meant I was pretty much just squinting through a small gap in the windshield at a tiny bit of road in front of me. I got home to Princeton, pulled in the driveway and went inside wanting nothing more than a hot shower after spending a weekend crawling around in the cave then freezing my ass off on the drive home. No Go - pipes had frozen. I got dressed again and went out to the car to go over to a friend's house only to find the car was now stuck in the drive. I had the friend come over and get me with his truck.

A hot shower never felt so good or so deserved!

The next day on the radio I heard that Kentucky had actually closed the state to all non-emergency travel. I barely made it out before they shut down the state!

The Hedgehog
01-30-2009, 09:24 AM
That's a hell of a story Don.

Here is a pic of the ice storm BEFORE it got really bad.

I took one look at my truck and realized that I was going to be leaving early.

ITTLFLI
01-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes it was pretty bad up here in Cincinnati as well. 5inches of snow...then 1.5 inches of ice....then 5 more inches of snow! Here's the poor old boat burried!

The Hedgehog
01-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Yes it was pretty bad up here in Cincinnati as well. 5inches of snow...then 1.5 inches of ice....then 5 more inches of snow! Here's the poor old boat burried!

Yeah you did get it bad. That hurts to see that.

BigGrizzly
01-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Boy and I am complaining about being 41 degrees. Wake up Randy, but lake is up 3 feet.