PDA

View Full Version : Question about OuterBanks, NC

ITTLFLI
01-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Well it seems we are taking a week vaca down there this year to attend my sister in laws wedding. They are staying in Corolla. I am thinking of staying up in the "Corova 4x4 Beach" area.

Does anybody have any suggestions about this area? I am thinking about towing my Jeep down to stroll around in during the week:)

RedDog
01-28-2009, 07:36 AM
I have been going for 20 years but normally stay south of Nags Head - usually closer to Hatteras Inlet. There is a lot of beach 4x4 access at the inlet and at Oregon Inlet.

Taking the free ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke for a day is worthwhile.

The sand dunes at Kill Devil Hills are interesting - no off road access.

ITTLFLI
06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I have been going for 20 years but normally stay south of Nags Head - usually closer to Hatteras Inlet. There is a lot of beach 4x4 access at the inlet and at Oregon Inlet.
Taking the free ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke for a day is worthwhile.
The sand dunes at Kill Devil Hills are interesting - no off road access.

We went last week. We stayed up north in Corova. I drug down my CJ and my brother-in-law towed up his bronco from B-ham, AL! We had a blast! It was a long arse tow though!:yes: Here are a few pics...

HOWARD O
06-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Well it seems we are taking a week vaca down there this year to attend my sister in laws wedding. They are staying in Corolla. I am thinking of staying up in the "Corova 4x4 Beach" area.
Does anybody have any suggestions about this area? I am thinking about towing my Jeep down to stroll around in during the week:)

We rented one of those humungous houses for a week in the 4x4 area, must be about 3 years ago now. It's not huge, but there are some backroads around and behind those houses and it's fun. No big 4-wheelin' or anything, but it's nice to putt up and down the beach too. I'd take the jeep. :yes: I was pulling rookie 4-wheelers out left and right. They ask me, "how come you can go anywhere with the smaller tires and that huge diesel crewcab?" I tell them to air down their tires...A LOT! I run 12 lbs., sometimes a lot less. I see the same folks the next day going everywhere and giving the thumb's up. It was funny.

edit: oops, just saw the date of your post. Did you go already?