PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust tip alignment!

MOP
01-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Got to thinking about a job I did years back where the tips were off from the new engine that I installed. The customer did not want me to cut new holes, I came up with an idea that some may want to consider. I took a 1" block of Starboard cut it to match the tips mounting base, then I used a band saw to cut the block in half but at an angle. The block ended up about 1/4" by 3/4" edge to edge. I put the flat/square side against the tips inner flange, I rotated the block while holding the tip still aligned with the original bolt holes. As I rotated the block the tips angle was aimed almost perfect toward the riser, I did have to rotary rasp some of the wood from the transom but did not alter the glass at all.

P.S. you can get a good idea of block thickness by removing the bolts and aiming the tips toward the riser.

Barry Eller
01-27-2009, 09:17 AM
When I installed the Gil Dry Offshore's, the holes in the transom would not align with the pipes going through the existing holes. I elongated the holes with a wood rasp in a drill. I used resin to seal the exposed wood. Because of the elongated holes in the transom, I needed a way to seal around the pipes. This was accomplished by using 2 trim rings and the silicone seal Gil manufactures.

My buddy Dan, p729lws, did the engineering on the custom inner ring to cover the hole. A local machine shop made the rings with 1/8" stainless steel. 5200 the filler rings to the transom, silicone gasket and then the outer trim rings. I had to make the holes in the transom large enough for the pipes to "move around" as the 502 does "shake" a little.