PDA

View Full Version : To be loud or to not to be loud......

JustMercMe
01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Wanting to go louder on the 496......But I'm diggin' the clean look of the tips that are on the boat now(like not being able to see the bolts outside). Question being.......

Has anyone taken the baffles out of tips like these? Is it possible or should I just quit whining about look and buy new tips?......
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/DSC00012.jpg

Lenny
01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Baffles do not come out even after you drill the three pop rivets as far as I know.

I have the same ones, (as do most people) actually a couple new sets.

Stainless Marine (aka Poodle) are making me replacement OPEN straight tips, straight cut end, 4" diameter WITH the same bolt pattern (Corsa) so it is an off and on thing for me. They will not have bolt heads, they will be welded studs as far as I know. I didn't like how QUIET they were.

Noise doesn't matter here, anywhere :D

RunninRed
01-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Quit whining and buy new tips. :)

Lenny
01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Err, no as we discussed, they will have screw holes and stainless screws to mount them. The holes will align with the existing Corsa holes as per the sample you sent so you do not have to drill more holes in the boat..

"Assuming" the other one is the same pattern..

Should be done, I'l check in the AM...

Holes, NO problem. Yes, that one was the pattern as it came off the boat when I put a new set of Corsa's on, but too quiet.

I know Jim likes it "quiet" but I sure as h e l l do not :D

Thanks. Back to your regularily scheduled programming.

GO LOUD !!!

BUIZILLA
01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
i've never met a LOUD sandbagger.. :pimp:

JustMercMe
01-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Sooooo they don't make tips like these (no bolts showing outside) without baffles?

This sucks!.....Poodle are the ones your working on gonna be a special order item or a stock item? :pimp:

I'm in the land of rednecks and straight pipes!

rtgogo
01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Sooooo they don't make tips like these (no bolts showing outside) without baffles?

This sucks!.....Poodle are the ones your working on gonna be a special order item or a stock item? :pimp:

Sounds like cow country...which lake?

Air 22
01-26-2009, 08:02 PM
http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/flaps.htm
8" They line right up and work well ...u just need a few stainless nylon lock nuts and a few washers and tighten them into place...:pimp:

FYI....SEAL w/ 5200 the exposed transom holes REALLY WELL..coat the entire hole b4 installing the tips.:)

The Hedgehog
01-26-2009, 08:02 PM

I have not seen them. The regular ss tips looks fine though. And sound great.

If you want to run over 400 hp or so you need to get the expensive flappers.

JustMercMe
01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Sounds like cow country...which lake?

Eufaula is the nearest lake.....Live on the Chattahoochee in the big city of Columbia, AL.:cool!:

The Hedgehog
01-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Eufaula is the nearest lake.....Live on the Chattahoochee in the big city of Columbia, AL.:cool!:

I drove the Big Green ZX around on that lake for a couple of years. It was a good time

JustMercMe
01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
They are special order to match the Corsa bolt pattern. Countersunk screws, will look fine once installed...

How much are these gonna set me back Poodle?.......I can't deal with being the quiet one in the crowd. Can you PM me some info on em?

JustMercMe
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I drove the Big Green ZX around on that lake for a couple of years. It was a good time

Hell!, Below the dam about 12 miles is where the real fun is!.....Been known to line the tunnel boats up and run a little 1/8 and 1/4 mile on sundays.:eek:

undertaker
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I put the dana marine tips on my 22 classic, they have a removable baffle so you can go loud or quiet....they also have internal rubber flappers...:):)..bolts do show on the outside though..:garfield:

pics on my old thread here:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48863

Undertaker:pimp:

JustMercMe
01-26-2009, 08:26 PM
I put the dana marine tips on my 22 classic, they have a removable baffle so you can go loud or quiet....they also have internal rubber flappers...:):)..bolts do show on the outside though..:garfield:

pics on my old thread here:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48863

Thats a sweet looking setup you got there! What speed increase did you see? What kinda prop you running?

undertaker
01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Saw about 2mph increase..but a lot more mid range punch...a some bling:).. I was running a 25P Turbo with stock exhaust had to move up to a 26P Turbo TXP. I have seen more than once 76MPH GPS at 4900 RPM...gonna try a labbed Bravo this spring...:yes::yes:

Barry Eller
01-27-2009, 07:09 AM
I don't have exhaust tips anymore...just pipes, loud pipes.