PDA

View Full Version : T-bolt V ignition

gcarter
01-25-2009, 09:20 PM
What are the advantages, if any, of the Merc Thunderbolt V ignition system over the T-bolt IV ?

HOWARD O
01-25-2009, 09:27 PM
What are the advantages, if any, of the Merc Thunderbolt V ignition system over the T-bolt IV ?

I believe the basic difference is the knock sensor for EFI. You may recall mine (Cuda's 22) has the TBV, just didn't hook up the knock sensor wire.

Can't speak to any other advantages..........I suppose if you have EFI, it's an advantage?

gcarter
01-25-2009, 09:31 PM
So if you hook up the knock sensor, it'll retard the spark?

Even with a carbed engine, that could be a good thing.

HOWARD O
01-25-2009, 09:39 PM
So if you hook up the knock sensor, it'll retard the spark?

Even with a carbed engine, that could be a good thing.

Sure, that could be a good thing. Don't know that you can though.

Here's the thread when Joe bought his. This is the extent of my knowledge about it, sorry:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42990

Mr X
01-26-2009, 06:14 AM
Yes, it will retard the spark if it detects a knock.
The HP 500 carb came with it from Mercury.
Also the total advance is different on some modules. I think I have one
in my box of spares. Do you have a part number?

MOP
01-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Not a bad thing to have, you will need the sensor also.

HOWARD O
01-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Not to hijack George's thread, but would it be worth it to get a sensor and hook mine up? I'm thinking with lower compression I should probably just run her as is.

BigGrizzly
01-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Knock sensor is a good thing problem they don't always work. What I am going to do is one of two things. Either get one that fits My MSD with a light on it so I know it happened and fix the problem. Or get a complete new up to date system.

gcarter
01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Never mind....there's one on eBay,but the reserve is too high for me at this time.
I'll keep my eyes open though.