PDA

View Full Version : Engine is out of the Critter.....

Donziweasel
01-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Pulled the engine this morning. I must be getting old, took me 3 hours instead of my usual hour and a half.

Question is, does someone make a crate kit to crate this engine for shipping? I can make one, it would just be easier with a pre-fabbed crate.

Engine is going on ebay and OSO. Last chance to get the deal of the century.

Air 22
01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Looks like progress...keep us posted...kool pic's:yes::wink:

Donziweasel
01-24-2009, 04:17 PM
I was gonna ask you, what did you end up doing for motormounts? Might want to upgrade.

Air 22
01-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I was gonna ask you, what did you end up doing for motormounts? Might want to upgrade.

Boat is @ the glass shop til end of next week..when I get her back were going to do a little modification. The new stringers/glass work are beef'd up much stronger than stock.. all the work done was to accomidate the new HP500EFI :smash:. Were using the factory Engine mounts to modified Stringer brackets that run longer on each side of the stringer. Pics to come soon on the thread I started when the engine arrived. :pimp:

With ur eng pulled you now have the opportunity to go thru that Critt of ur's with a microscope and address any issues u may find...keep us posted:wink:

Have u found new power for it yet?

mphatc
01-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Crating an engine is best done with a shop floor storage stand bolted to a palet.

See ebay item # 190279898336

Use an over size palet, and then wrap abundantly with plastic strech wrap that you buy at U-haul or Staples . .it's EASY :wink:

over everything use cheap ratchet straps to secure the engine to the palet.

Mario L.

RedDog
01-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Looks like you have some pretty good mounts already. I like the strainer and tee for running on the hose. I also like the dual bilge pumps. Redundancy is good.

What is the white box back near the drain plug?

Donziweasel
01-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Dwight, I can't find anything wrong with it so far, other than the tach not working. Actually, finding really cool little things. Automatic fire extigishing system, remote oil change (not filter), for lamp mounted in engine bay for light, dual batteries, small light mounted on the exterior right above the drive, etc.... This boat was loved. It is in amazing condition. Hell, I have seen new boats that didn't look this good.

Now, after screwing around in the bildge of the 16 for three years, the room in that bildge was amazing. Not a curse word was said and not a knuckle skinned!!!! Plus, didn't have to turn the damn engine sideways to get it out.

One thing I did NOT find was a return line for the EFI. Wierd, I thought all MPI's had return lines to the fuel tank.

What is going in it? BBC around 600 hp and it is blue. If that ain't enough, it will soon make a high pitched whine........:)

Got an engine stand, but my Ford Racing 351 for the Bronco is on it. Nice thing is that I own a fork lift, can chain it and lower it onto the pallet while still supporting it.

Donziweasel
01-24-2009, 06:13 PM
What is the white box back near the drain plug?

You know, I have no idea, will have to check it out on Monday.

Alright dammit, this engine is begging to go in a 16 or 18. Lists for almost 12,000.00. Someone has to be up for a re-power, tired of a 4.3L, 5.0L or 5.7L and needs it.

donzi2287
01-24-2009, 06:14 PM
I just changed my engine for the third time in a year. I've gotten pretty good at it and not proud of it!!!! However, I just put a 500 hp in and aren't the stock stringers strong enough?? Just answer YES!!

Donziweasel
01-24-2009, 06:23 PM
However, I just put a 500 hp in and aren't the stock stringers strong enough?? Just answer YES!!

Yes. Seriously, Randy is running over 700 hp in his Critter and I don't think he beefed up the stringers.

22's have had stringer problems, but they are late model with 502's, although Carl has had trouble on with his 496. Never heard of any stringer problems in, lets say, 2000 models down.

Maybe they ole saying, they don't make them like they use to...........

RedDog
01-24-2009, 07:06 PM
You know, I have no idea, will have to check it out on Monday.

Now that I look again, is it a third bilge pump?

Donziweasel
01-24-2009, 07:11 PM
You know Randy, it might be, I think it had two rocker switches for a bidlge and a third switch for another one. Guy I bought it from must have a had a serious fear of sinking.......:bonk::)

gcarter
01-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh yeah?????

Air 22
01-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Yes. Seriously, Randy is running over 700 hp in his Critter and I don't think he beefed up the stringers.
22's have had stringer problems, but they are late model with 502's, although Carl has had trouble on with his 496. Never heard of any stringer problems in, lets say, 2000 models down.

Randy told me he did add some additional strength to his stringers by running 4-5ft 3/8 ( i think) aluminum plates sandwiching his stringers... :wink:

Donziweasel
01-25-2009, 06:41 AM
I had no idea he had done that. I think I should be alright for now. The 600 hp engine will only be around 480hp up here.

Did he do any glass work or just cut aluminum plates and bolt them to the outside and inside of the stringers?

Grizz, where the hell are you?:)

Trueser
01-25-2009, 08:46 AM
DW,
I would check those stringers and transom out and make sure they are solid. The bottom bolt on the sea strainer looks like it pulled in.

The best way to make sure is drill a small hole and see if you get dry wood.

BigGrizzly
01-25-2009, 09:52 AM
SORRY DW, I was in the Shop/ Boat garage Screwing around. Now I did Strengthen My stringers. Air22 YOU did pay attention, I will fly with you any day. You were very close. Its 5.5 feet pf 1/2X6 aluminum. I did this to our 1966 16 when we replaced the first engine. That boat has seen more ocean hours then I can remember. DW If you call I will give you the low down, too long to BS on the net about, but all the information is free, if your nice. Glad to see your moving. Yes the refurbisher talked to me a number of times, NO expense was spared. That last box was a fully automatic bilge pump if I remember All the pumps together output more then the water pump could put in the boat

Donziweasel
01-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Mike, they are solid. Tapped them with a hammer, couldn't find a soft spot. I may have pulled on that bolt a little lifting the engine. Couldn't get real good access to the hose, so I lifted the engine slightly and put some tention on it. Then I wiggled it off.

Grizz, will call you Monday, I want to be looking at the bilge when we talk and the boat is at work. I am doing something new and different today, plowing snow!:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Donziweasel
01-25-2009, 11:48 AM
I see what you are talking about now Mike. That hole was simply countersunk. Not sure why, but the painted the inside of it. It's solid.

Man, these boats are built like tanks!

fasttrucker
01-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Pulled the engine this morning. I must be getting old, took me 3 hours instead of my usual hour and a half.
Question is, does someone make a crate kit to crate this engine for shipping? I can make one, it would just be easier with a pre-fabbed crate.
Engine is going on ebay and OSO. Last chance to get the deal of the century.
What do you want for it?

Donziweasel
01-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Not sure, a new one is 11,600.00. Make me an offer. What you thinking of putting it in? :wink:

Trueser
01-25-2009, 01:30 PM
We hit the stringers on the 29 with a hammer and they sounded solid as a rock, The glass guy grabbed a cordless drill and showed us that they were full of water or a complete void on the center stringer on the 29. One hole he drilled even let water drain from the transom..

Now is the time to see what you have....

Air 22
01-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Do ur-self a favor...Test hull/Stingers with a moisture meter that marine surveyor's use...U wanna fix anything u might find now vs. waiting and watch'n the new power possibly tear it appart:wink: I THOUGHT mine was fine too when testing w a hammer...NOT:nilly:

BUIZILLA
01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
I've been tinkering with my Critter all day, GORGEOUS DAY :cool: :wrench:

one thing I do NOT enjoy though is laying under the drivers console... the gyrations and contortions to get in and out of there are hell on an old man :pimp: it is possible to get trapped in there... :garfield:

rule for the day > don't ASSume that just because the 50 amp engine breaker looks, and feels, and tests good, that it does the same thing when turning the key :nilly: :nilly: :confused: :bonk: :mad:

Donziweasel
01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
That is next. Got to get the tach out as it is broken. Not looking foward to it.

BigGrizzly
01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
When did my dash I turned the fuse panel and all the wiring over so when I take of the dash everything is looking straight at me. No more crawling under the dash. It was sooooo easy I could not believe it. When you call I will let you know everything the restorer asked me.

Air 22
01-25-2009, 08:21 PM
I've been tinkering with my Critter all day, GORGEOUS DAY :cool: :wrench:

one thing I do NOT enjoy though is laying under the drivers console... the gyrations and contortions to get in and out of there are hell on an old man :pimp: it is possible to get trapped in there... :garfield:

If u get stuck...who do u call??...Poodle?:kingme: Keep that direct connect close....:pimp: