PDA

View Full Version : Maui...anyone been?

ChromeGorilla
01-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Looking to start burning some of my frequent flyer miles...so I booked a couple first class tix to hawaii.... anyone been to Maui or have any other island recommendations.... Now that I have airfare booked... I gotta get me a room booked... :yes:

Barry Eller
01-23-2009, 04:57 PM
I have been to Oahu. Stayed on Waikiki Beach 5 days. Loved it!!!:yes:
http://www.visit-oahu.com/

Oahu is the tourist capitol as well as the State Capitol, but LOTS to do there. Pearl Harbor Memorial is a must see. Polynesian Cultural Center is great. I surf, the waves at Waikiki are so easy. I went to Waimea Bay and the Pipeline, but it was in May and the surf was flat there. Only in the winter do they get the big waves.

From what I have been told, Maui and some of the other Islands are quieter, but very beautiful.

Have a good time!

Lenny
01-23-2009, 04:58 PM
I have been three times, and am going again for two weeks in mid April. Lahaina and Kaanapali are interesting places there. That is about all I can offer, other than go golfing once and eat some guava jam on toast.

Tony
01-23-2009, 08:57 PM
We spent ten days on Maui and ten days on Kaua'i for our 25th anniversary. Both islands were spectacular, each with a different feel and advantages. On Maui we stayed at Noelani Condominiums, near Lahaina. I found it on vrbo.com, which is a great site by the way. The most authentic luau in Hawaii is the Old Lahaina Luau. Another cool thing was biking down the volcano, we traveled about 25 miles and only about 200 yards of it required any pedaling!

On Kaua'i we stayed at Kuhio Shores, another very nice accommodation, near Poipu on the south side. Our unit was as close to the ocean as you can get, there is a great surfing spot right in front of your lanai, and right next door is one of the best restaurants on the island. Spectacular spot for sunsets, also. A helicopter tour is well worth it on this island, imo. Less crowded, slower paced, less surf spots, but a very beautiful island...nicknamed the "Garden Island". Definitely day trip to Hanalei Bay on the north shore.

On Maui make sure you take the road around the north side of Lahaina, from Kaanapali to Kahului, and pay attention because it is narrow! Also take the "road to Hana", but make it a circular route instead of there and back on the usual northern route. They say you need 4wd for the southern leg but you don't, and it is uncrowded and beautiful.

Mahalo!

:beer:

Lenny
01-24-2009, 10:45 AM
One thing you must remember !!!

Rent a couple of scooters as they are a BLAST and let you go where ever you want to. The first time I was there, 1980, I took my guitar, had long hair, and spent 6 weeks on the beach/wharf grassy areas in Lahaina, strumming Bread and America songs trying to pick up "chicks" . :D It worked once or twice too. Those were the days. :)

I agree, see the Island at your leasure. The sugar cane fields are neat too. VRBO is what we used for our trip to Kona this year. "Vacation Rental by Owner" . It gives you access to "cheap" condo properties that the owners of such rent directly.

VetteLT193
01-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Maui is one of the more tropical islands, it's also more commercialized / touristy than most of the other islands.

If you wind up going out there I'd strongly suggest 2 islands. When we went, we did the big island (Hawaii) and Maui. They were very different, with different things to do.

We stayed at the Marriott in Maui. A condo in Hawaii

fasttrucker
01-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I went to three islands in 1984.I bought some locally grown product from some dudes in a beach front park.Wow, but no-no-no I dont smoke it anymore.........................:pimp:....I also scuba dove on all three islands.Went thru a lava tube (like a cave):cool!:Maui is where the locals go on vacation.Nice place.I drove the rental car around the north shore.Not good.Cliffs were a little scarry.Went into a bamboo forest.I saw cool waterfalls.Did not go fishing for marlin:garfield:Wished I did.You dont want to spend time in a room anyway, so we stayed in cheap hotel,s.Next to nice ones,which we walked over to.

Cuda
01-25-2009, 11:55 AM
My sister was born at Pearl Harbor. She went back to visit a few years ago, and I imagine she went to Maui while she was there. Hawaii wasn't a state when she was born.

I've been seeing a local girl who was also born at Pearl Harbor. She lived there until 14, and I imagine she's been to Mauii also. When I talk to her today, I'll ask her.

Speaking of frequent flier miles, Trish is flying to Guam when her daughter is having surgery next month. Her daughter is in the Air Force. She is having surgery on her sinuses after being hit by by the butt of a gun in Iraq.

zimm17
01-25-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm living in Hawaii for the second time. I've been to all the major islands. Maui is great. I thought the road to Hana was kinda of a waste- nothing at the end but an overpriced hot dog stand. I heard great things about the downhill bike tour- they truck you to the top of the 10000' volcano- then let you zoom down on a special bicycle that has major brakes.

Kona on the big island is my favorite place. I got married there last year. Snorkeling/scuba diving is out of this world, great little "down town" if you can call it that, a few good restaurants, lots of vacation condo type places to stay at. I stayed at this one
http://www.resortquesthawaii.com/hawaii/propertyOverview.do?propertyGroupId=25579
Which is great if you want a real apartment with a kitchen- saves a lot of money if you don't want to eat out for every meal.

Depends on what you want- major city/downtown/night life/top restaurants/and big crowds? Waikiki/Honolulu

Want super rural country with only little mom and pop stores, but major wilderness to explore? Kauai is the place

maui is more quiet and laid back than Oahu-

The big island has a bigger town in Hilo, but I like Kona

Shoot me a PM if you want more details

Cuda
01-26-2009, 01:19 AM
I'll be in Jax tomorrow, and several times this week Chromey.

Lunch at Whitey's?

KerrLake
01-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Stayed at the Westin at Kaanapali a few years ago. It was pretty cool.