PDA

View Full Version : Information for Feature Article

Eric Colby
01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Hello all. I was just at Richard Weaver's place in Southern Maine today and saw the Lake George calendars. Very nice. I'm working on a feature article for Performance Boats magazine about the Donzi classics and would like to hear your stories. I want to get a feel for why these boats in particular have such a loyal, almost cult-like following. If you post replies here, please include your name, where you live and the year and model of your boat. If you want to email me, you can do so at eric@performanceboats.com. Also, if you are doing a restoration and have high-resolution images, we'd love to see them for future articles. I know that an entire book could be written on this topic, but for right now, I've got the article and it's due ASAP.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Eric Colby
Performance Boats Magazine:lobster:

mattyboy
01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Eric,

checkout our site www.lgdonziclassic.com
it has pics of some restoration work and more about the club and our mission to continue the Donzi classic mystique. you might want to drop Scott Pearson a line whtdobe@aol.com he is the president of the club.
If I can be of any assistance please let me know. the club runs the only judged boat show for classics and a poker run in Lake George every June
you are more than welcome to drop in an get a ride

here is my story But I since have sold this boat and I am looking for another Donzi classic to replace it ;) www.donzi.org/Featuredboat.html if that doesn't work try www.donzi.org and click on the featured boat link on the left

i am sure some of the guys here have some stories and some projects
have you heard the story of mighty mouse ;)

mattyboy
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Eric my cell is 201-315-9662 and my email is mnmveth@optonline.net

BUIZILLA
01-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi Eric.... while I think the heritage of the boat speaks for itself, I also think the people who are owners, are a more special lot. Thanx for the recognition.

Jim Haas

1980 22 Criterion

mattyboy
01-22-2009, 04:05 PM
also check out the albums here and the gallery on www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com

what jim said is true it is not just about the boats it is also about the great people who own them

BigGrizzly
01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Erric, I have had articles written about my boats one The Criterion inin the Rob report and another The 16 Motorboting. The writers always ask the sam thing why is there such a following? Well it starts with the Donzi classic is what a sport boat is suppose to look like. It is not over done like some of todays phyc o paint jobs. To most of us those boats are like a beautiful woman with way too much make up. It is so junior varsity. A Donzi is like a foxy lady, you keep looking at here because you just can't find anything wrong with her. With too much make up you know she is hiding something. Not so with the Donzi classics They mad it happen. I aqm not even going into the ride and handling Vs others in the same size range. I worked for American Honda Motor company and we have a thing called "the Honda Spirit" It is a feeling that can't be really explained. If you can then you don't really have it, your just blowing smoke. Those guys end up quitting or get let go. Going to a Donzi rally is like going to a family reunion with only the relatives you like. There can be 10 18 foot classics lined up and they are all the same and completely different at the same time. My 22 Criterion is like The name implies, What others are judged by. A bench mark so to speak. I f you want to contact me feel free, either by phone 706-216-8194, ir Email from the registry. BTW we still have the first Donzi we bough new in 1966, a 16. I also have a 18 Corsican as well as the 22 Criterion. When my mother bough us the 16 she made a statement that time "Now there is a classy little boat". She always describe it that way.

Marlin275
01-22-2009, 05:48 PM
My father in law started the Marlin Yacht Company in 1964
with the purchase of the Formula 27 from Don.
He then raced against Don in the 1965 Miami-Nassua and the Around Nassau, open ocean spectacles.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18253&d=1140150377
Photo from Aronow Offshore 856-904-1961

I was a kid and I was seeing the best boats in the world raced by the greatest.
Nothing's changed
they still are the best boats
and all the people here know it!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23428&d=1156471918

Owning a piece of history
and not just another boat
makes these special.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33296&d=1198095486

Chad Gabeler
Greater New York City

Donziweasel
01-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Eric,
If you will bear with me, I will tell you my story. My name is John Pearson and I currently live in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I grew up in Atlanta and my family had a house on Lake Rabun in North Georgia. We had a 1967 16 (thanks Matty!:)). I was born in 1969, and my first memories as a child were of me and that boat. I loved it, but my father hated it and thought it was impractical. Last I saw of it was probably when I was 8-10 years old. The memories of that boat always stayed with me. I knew I would own one one day. I knew nothing of Jim Wynn or Don Arronow, just childhood memories of the little 16.
I started looking at this site about 5 years ago but did not sign up until 2005. Then I purchased my first Donzi, although it is my 10th boat that I have owned. I also started learning about Don, Jim, and Thunderboat Row. Over the last few years I have become a Donzi-a-holic. I took my 16 that i purchased in 2005 re-did the engine, and finally replaced it with a 355 377 hp V-8. Got it running pretty good. I wanted something bigger, so I started looking at all kinds of Donzi's, GT-21's, 22's, 18's, Hornet's, and Minx's. I wanted something unique and rare.
I finally found it in a 1979 Criterion located in Lake Tahoe. I just purchased it last month. It was resostored in 2004 with a 6.2L small block, and I am currently replacing it with a 600 hp 540 Merc Bulldog. Supposedly, less than 20 Criterions, Criterions SS's and Criterion II were made.
For me, it is not Don, Jim, or the history that has made me a Donzi-a-holic. It is the boats. Nothing looks like a Donzi. I still think the 16, when made in 1964, was soooo far before it's time, is timeless. Nothing looks or drives like a Donzi Classic, especailly the 16 and 18. These boats look as modern today as they did in 1964.
Why has Donzi aspired to an almost cult like passion? I think everyone has a different reason for our love of Donzi's. For me, it was the sleekest, fastest, most exilerating boat from my childhood. For others, the love of Donzi may have come later in life. Know matter how we all fell in love with Donzi Marine, no other boat seems to bring out appreciation like a Donzi. Maybe that is why many Donzi owners own more than one.
If you would like more info from me, PM me and I will give you my phone number. BTW, I think I own the only Donzi in Wyoming.
John Pearson

Donzi Racer
01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Hello all. I was just at Richard Weaver's place in Southern Maine today and saw the Lake George calendars. Very nice. I'm working on a feature article for Performance Boats magazine about the Donzi classics and would like to hear your stories. I want to get a feel for why these boats in particular have such a loyal, almost cult-like following. If you post replies here, please include your name, where you live and the year and model of your boat. If you want to email me, you can do so at eric@performanceboats.com. Also, if you are doing a restoration and have high-resolution images, we'd love to see them for future articles. I know that an entire book could be written on this topic, but for right now, I've got the article and it's due ASAP.
Eric Colby

Eric, since I am so long winded, I will email you directly but here below is the Donzi's we own or have owned. This huge Donzi Family is something else. I felt like I was the only real Donzi Enthusiast in the free world until I lucked upon this Registry! Then I find out there are LOTS & LOTS of em! Most as crazy as me. hahahahahahahahah Well a few anyway! Tom Bawsel --Titusville, Fl & Decatur,AL.

Trueser
01-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Hello,
My son Matt and I restored a 1986 Z29 and a 1986 22 classic. I no longer have the 22, I sold it to upgrade to a 28ZX Scorpion. I have hundreds of high resolution shots of both boats.

My email: Trueser@comcast.net

1986 22 classic restored.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47744

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39930

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39730

1986 Z29 Restored

I have hundreds of pictures of both projects. High resolution!

ITTLFLI
01-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Eric,

Why such a loyal cult like following? I get this question a lot....

I would say I speak for most here but I personally was attracted to the lines and obvious "classic" styling when I was shopping for my first one back in 1997. If I had to compare them to a car I would say a 1967 427 Corvette.

I unlike others had never really seen one or had a fond story of one. BUT...I WILL tell you that almost always at the gas station does a random stranger walk up to me and to tell me a story about when he was a kid and how he used to see one of these boats run around the lake and how cool it was. Sometimes it was that they had an uncle...ect. Bottom line is that a ton of folks have very fond memorys of seeing or riding in one of these Classic Donzi's from "back in the day."

The aspect that I enjoy, and obviously other here as well, is the unique family that the owners have created! For me and a couple others from the Ohio area it began as a random idea to gather at Lake Cumberland with boats like ours. That was back in Spring of 2001 for the first Awakening of The Horses. Without the help from this forum it would have been hard to have so many owners gather from as far away as Oregon that year!! Now we are on to our 9th year and it appears it will be the biggest and best AOTH yet!! We have created an extended family!

Another note about the "family" part. There are many father/son father/daughter combinations that enjoy this Donzi hobby. At the Awakening of the Horses(AOTH) event at Lake Cumberland every year there are usually at least half a dozen father/son(father/daughter) combinations out enjoying the passion! For me it is one hobby that my father and I enjoy together. The boats are timeless and appeal to all generations!!

Regards,

Byron
1994 22 Classic
Cincinnati, OH
itllfli@fuse.net

Air 22
01-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Eric...Glad to see someone intersted in the "Classic's" I tried several time to coax Powerboat to do a story but no luck as of yet..
:confused: These awsome boats bring great folks together for a great time:)

LKSD
01-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Eric, the Donzi classics despite their size (16, 18, 22) as well as the other small models (Criterion, 21Gt, minx, corsican) are some of the best boats ever made in that size. The speed & conditions that these hulls can handle is amazing. Actually what many non Donzi owners dont realize is that these classics can actually run some water conditions that other boats cant, and they can do it with some ease!. They often on larger water run water that much larger boats run where smaller boats usually would not be able to venture out in. The classics take a little bit of seat time to get used to, but once the driver is acclimated to the hull it becomes a force to be reckoned with that is capable of some impressive running. Oh yeah, if you havent already found out or guessed, they are also an adrenaline rush to operate or even tag along as a passenger in.

While I dont currently own a classic myself at this time, I am a current Donzi owner. I have a Donzi Zx because of my space requirements. That aside, I have had every size classic & run the heck out of them to be able to vouch for the boats.

I work on may different manufacturers performance hulls, But I a large part of work is with these boats as I am a factory authorized independent Donzi restoration & customization facility. I have torn into & worked with countless boats over many years, I can say there is really not much out there like a Donzi. Very few boats can compare overall that are in the same size as a classic. However 2 hulls do come to mind now that I think of it that have some similarity in quality and performance. The 20' Cigarette (also an Aronow product), this hull is extremely similarto the classic for obvious reasons. And the 21' Apache scout (also an Aronow product), this hull is also extremely similarto the classic for obvious reasons.

Good luck on your arcticle, If you have any questions that I can possibly help you with feel free to call me. I always have numerous projects of some sort going on. :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

Here is one of the more unique requests on a classic that we have done ( a tribute to the Fire fighters of 911 :

roadtrip se
01-23-2009, 08:38 AM
We have a highly modified 2001 22 Classic with an HP500 and just sold a 2002 18 Classic with a factory Scorpion package. The boats are a riot.

But, this stopped being about the boats a long time ago for us. It's about the people. We have attended rallys and gatherings all over the country over the past nine years. We have a ball. You meet people from all walks of life, we do some boating at great venues, we eat and party, and we build great friendships.

The boats are just an excuse to do all of this every year and look forward to doing it again next year.

Eric, come on out to AOTH at Lake Cumberland the weekend before Memorial Day and you will see and experience what I and many others are talking about here.

Good luck with your story,

Todd Somerville
Organizing Committee for the Midwest Donzi Club
somewisbey@comcast.net

Speed Racer
01-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Eric,
I might be the newest classic restoration geek on the site!
I grew up reading power boat magazine in the 60's and helping my father built Sangers, Belmonts, Hondo's and Howards in the Bay Area until about 1980. We raced and held records in the NDBA, APBA, and even POPBRA (Does it even still exsist?!)

I moved to Seattle for work, started racing sailboats, but then felt the need for horsepower pull at me, and found a 1967 Ski Sporter V-drive (pretty rare) that needed lots of love.

Needless to say, I am pouring money, time and love into it, and plan on making a 'debut' this opening day in the Seattle Yacht club's opening day event for classic boats and yachts.

Here are some shots of the before and during... after is coming along right now!

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiogg

Let me know if your are interested in taking a ride on the day we splash it!

GG

gcarter
01-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah Eric, a lot of it is the people, but for some of us, we mainly like the boats, to make them faster, to restore them, and maybe make them a little different.
Some of the older Donzis are getting on in years and can easily be updated.
I've restored more than one. For instance, this is an '86 Minx I sold about 18 months ago;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24251&d=1159754530

And following is a link to the '88 22 Testa Rossa I'm currently restoring.....a work in progress.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476

TR's are all red 22 Classics that were offered in model year 1988. There were only 10 or so built in the 22 size. This stuff is fun. And when done right, everyone notices.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Eric Colby

Eric,
I first fell for the Donzi line of boats in the late 1960s. There was a family on Grand Lake O' the Cherokees (Grand Lake) in NE Oklahoma that had 3 of them right down from where my grandparents had a lake house. They had one for each child!! It was not until 1973 that I bought my first Donzi which was a 1971 18' 2+3. I enjoyed it until about 1978 when I bought a 24' Excalibur which I picked up in Sarasota. In May of 2008, I saw my old 1971 Donzi for sale in the Dallas craigslist, so I bought it back and proceeded to restore it to like new with a few modern touches. I started a relatively long thread on the restoration with pictures here: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52903
I had more fun with the 1971 18' than any other boat I have owned over the years, and I will be keeping it until I shake hands with the angels. It has shocked many people over the years at how great it rides in heavy chop. It has held up extremely well structurally - especially considering the way I drove it back when I had it. I love the timeless lines of it!! It looks as modern and classic as any boat ever made in my book. I will look forward to reading the article you put together! Bill Fri - Denison, TX - Lake Texoma. Dgill25960@aol.com. Bill

Carl C
01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Eric, I love my 22 Classic for several reasons. The great looks. It lets me boat on the small local lakes but also lets me run 2-4 footers on the Great Lakes. It runs mid to high 70s with a near stock 496 HO. It is a driver's boat that requires seat time and skill to master. Driving this boat at speed requires 100% attention and constant tweaks of the tabs, trim and throttle. Here is a high resolution pic of my boat and myself that you may use in the magazine.:crossfing:

Carl Chamberlain 248-330-0048
Clarkston, Michigan
2005 Donzi 22 Classic
496 Magnum HO
CMI Sport Tube Headers
Imco -2 inch shorty lower
Mercury Racing 28p Bravo 1

BigGrizzly
01-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Ok picture hogs, I guess I may have to waste time and post a few of my stuff if I ever get around to scanning them.

Marlin275
01-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Ok picture hogs, I guess I may have to waste time and post a few of my stuff if I ever get around to scanning them.

Every picture saves you a thousand words . . .

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4310&d=1089130085

HOWARD O
01-23-2009, 02:16 PM
I used to spend a good deal of my summers on my father's boat in the upper Chesapeake Bay, from 1972-1979. Across from the marina was a private, covered slip owned by the Duponts. Under which lied a dark green Donzi Hornet on a lift. I used to row my little boat over there about every weekend and just sit there and stare at it. Many weekends a 16' Donzi would start up in the marina very early in the morning and would wake me out of a sleep. I'd jump out of my bunk to watch the red & white Ski Sporter head out into the mist.

Never found out who owned that boat, but a couple of years ago I saw the green Hornet right here on Donzi.net and spoke with the current owner. I saw that he was from MD. and spoke of the Dupont's Hornet. It had passed through one owner and on to him. I have a standing invitation to take a ride when I head up that way.

Many years later I moved to California and never again saw a Donzi until an old 1969 16' was up for sale. Folks in California didn't know the name but I did and bought it for a song. My brother and I did a full, 3 year restoration. It's a beautiful boat and he still uses it frequently.

I have since moved to NC and have a family, been through quite a few boats but always longed for another Donzi. My wishes finally came true when a fellow member here sold me his 1982 22' this past November. All I can say now is that I'm tickled pink and haven't even had it in the water yet!

So that's my story. There are most definitely other boats that "do it" for different people. Old, mahogany Chris-Crafts for example. But Classic Donzis recapture the happy times of my youth and probably for a good number of the members here as well.

Here are a few photos taken from a helicopter that Cuda, the previous owner of my 22', was nice enough to send me.....I don't think he'll mind. Also is a photo of my dream Hornet from so long ago

Carl C
07-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Did this article ever happen?

Watchdog
12-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Hello and Happy Holidays! I wanted to warn the Donzi community about a scam artist out there posting Donzi's for sale on eBay. His name is Tom Bawsel and he has replied to a few posts here. He sold us a Donzi that was nothing close to what was in the ad. In fact, it had a different motor (non-running) in it then was advertised, the trailer was a different trailer (with four flat tires), the body was trashed, as well as the interior and all the wiring was ripped out. When the shipping company went to Florida to pick up the boat, they had to wait two days for a leg to be put on it. The boat was sitting in the middle of a field and Mr. Bawsel was nowhere to be found. We've contacted the fraud department at eBay and are trying to recoup some money through their insurance, but we wanted to alert all other Donzi owners out there to his scam. We (eBay and ourselves) believe this is at least the second Donzi scam he has done. We own two Donzi's and love them. It's a shame someone like him is out there taking advantage of nice honest folks with a passion for fine boats. So, Donzi lovers beware and pass the word about Mr. Bawsel. Have a nice day and happy holidays!

BUIZILLA
12-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Hello Watchdog...

and Happy Holidays to you as well.. :party:

we're all sorry to hear of this.. :frown:

could you enlighten us as to which eBay Donzi this was that you purchased?

cheers!

Donzi Vol
12-17-2009, 08:58 PM
hello and happy holidays! I wanted to warn the donzi community about a scam artist out there posting donzi's for sale on ebay. His name is tom bawsel and he has replied to a few posts here. He sold us a donzi that was nothing close to what was in the ad. In fact, it had a different motor (non-running) in it then was advertised, the trailer was a different trailer (with four flat tires), the body was trashed, as well as the interior and all the wiring was ripped out. When the shipping company went to florida to pick up the boat, they had to wait two days for a leg to be put on it. The boat was sitting in the middle of a field and mr. Bawsel was nowhere to be found. We've contacted the fraud department at ebay and are trying to recoup some money through their insurance, but we wanted to alert all other donzi owners out there to his scam. We (ebay and ourselves) believe this is at least the second donzi scam he has done. We own two donzi's and love them. It's a shame someone like him is out there taking advantage of nice honest folks with a passion for fine boats. So, donzi lovers beware and pass the word about mr. Bawsel. Have a nice day and happy holidays!

what the hell?!
watchdog, you need to understand that you are insulting and defaming family. You also need to understand that you are insulting a boat that used to be owned by a respected and appreciated member of this board. You have already had this thread pulled once because this is the kind of crap that is not tolerated here.

i have personally seen and been in the boat that you are talking about. When i saw it, it looked great...especially the interior. From what i understand the motor was running beautifully.

so again, i say, what the hell?!

Just Say N20
12-17-2009, 10:27 PM
What kind of nonsense is this?

Post something inflamatory in a thread about something completely different, and then begin another thread the same way?

Donzi Vol
12-17-2009, 10:38 PM
What kind of nonsense is this?

Post something inflamatory in a thread about something completely different, and then begin another thread the same way?

Yep. I like to call this sort of thing jackassery.

MOP
12-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Yep. I like to call this sort of thing jackassery.

Crude!

MOP
12-18-2009, 09:36 AM
I have spoken with Tom and did sell him a boat part, I never felt that he was not on the up & up. As far as what transpired on the site it is far better to let sleeping dogs lie, there will always be differences in opinions. We as a group are far better off letting things go and mending fences and enjoying our forum, overall we are without doubt a special group lets keep it that way!

donzi racer
12-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I have spoken with Tom and did sell him a boat part, I never felt that he was not on the up & up. As far as what transpired on the site it is far better to let sleeping dogs lie, there will always be differences in opinions. We as a group are far better off letting things go and mending fences and enjoying our forum, overall we are without doubt a special group lets keep it that way!

That is my new attitude as well Mop. Thanks, Tom

PS I would love to have an oportunity to explain all this but will wait for harbormaster to aprove what I have written 1st. I do not want to help create something we all do not want. T

Tidbart
12-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Hello and Happy Holidays! I wanted to warn the Donzi community about a scam artist out there posting Donzi's for sale on eBay. His name is Tom Bawsel and he has replied to a few posts here. He sold us a Donzi that was nothing close to what was in the ad. In fact, it had a different motor (non-running) in it then was advertised, the trailer was a different trailer (with four flat tires), the body was trashed, as well as the interior and all the wiring was ripped out. When the shipping company went to Florida to pick up the boat, they had to wait two days for a leg to be put on it. The boat was sitting in the middle of a field and Mr. Bawsel was nowhere to be found. We've contacted the fraud department at eBay and are trying to recoup some money through their insurance, but we wanted to alert all other Donzi owners out there to his scam. We (eBay and ourselves) believe this is at least the second Donzi scam he has done. We own two Donzi's and love them. It's a shame someone like him is out there taking advantage of nice honest folks with a passion for fine boats. So, Donzi lovers beware and pass the word about Mr. Bawsel. Have a nice day and happy holidays!

Censure this clown! The author that is.

LKSD
12-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Oh boy, here we go again...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33479&d=1199582028

Carl C
12-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Whatever happened to the feature article????

donzi racer
12-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Whatever happened to the feature article????

I would like to know what happened to the article also. Sounded like it was a great idea. T

Donzi Vol
12-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Crude!

Sorry if I offended. No harm meant. That's just a made up word out of my dictionary of made up words. Basically, it means to act as a horse's butt. Sometimes it involves funny things (like "laugh at" funny). Other times, it's just a person being ridiculous. This context is the latter.

BlownCrewCab
12-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Wow, Wtf, who is this Douchebag??? and what boat did he buy???? I'll tell ya first hand Tom Never Swapped a motor.... As for the Performance Boat Mag story IDK what happened to Eric, Many may not know but he was the Head Editor for Powerboat Magazine for years, if you can get him to do the story it would have some class/clout behind it, but why he just dropped the ball on this one Idk.....

Carl C
12-18-2009, 08:51 PM
I was trying to bury it. I DO wonder what became of this story though. As for the disgruntled boat buyer, I wouldn't sweat it. If he won't come back and introduce himself and tell the whole story then he has no credibility. I say "don't feed the trolls". Let it go.

donzi racer
12-18-2009, 09:37 PM
:cool:

joseph m. hahnl
12-18-2009, 10:14 PM
It was a great article he wrote. It was all about LG and stuff . Really great pictures of George in the old minx. Jamie from Lake side "wow" Weird when you put a face to people. You always have a kind of perception of what people look like when you have never have seen them. It can be:shocking: when you see what they really look like.

anyway. not sure about the :hijack: .But there is no arguing that Vettes former Minx was nicely done. the last thread was killed so I'm sure parts of this one will be to. but for the record,It sounds like vandalism may have taken place with the description. Or maybe the wrong boat was delivered.

donzi racer
12-19-2009, 10:53 AM
1st Thanks for all that did not jump to conclusions about these posts. I always said and knew that there would sometime, be someone, somewhere, that would be unhappy about a Donzi that we had sold, but I can only say that I am pleased that this is the Donzi that it finally happened on, because this boat is soo well documented in these pages of the Donzi Registry!

This Shelby LOOKING Minx is the boat in question and it was absolutely beautiful when it left Christmas Florida. I have been trying to bring some clearity to this episode. I can only hope & I really hate saying this but, that most of the things that he states happened in transit, because if not there is a lot of splaining needs to happen LUCY!

This boat was Vettes Minx and it was fantastic when we got it from him & even better when it left Florida. It was sold on ebay with a very low reserve and it was a steal in my opinion. It is well documented here in these pages of the registry what all Bob put into this Minx, the very last minx as it was advertised. When we got the minx it was 95% finished. It needed some wiring straightened up in the bilge area and under the dash, which we did and the boat was so well done by Bob, that was about all it needed. The boat was offered with a choice of 2 trailers, it left Florida with the one Bob had it on when we got it, which was the one the ebay buyer chose. The tires were not flat but NEW according to Bob & they looked it, but they had been sitting for a while and could have used some air. The shop it was at, not a field, asked the shipping driver if he wanted to have some air added and he said no problem, he would air them up down the road a bit, hard to do that on flat tires. The only correct thing in the post is that I was out of town at the time of pick-up, but I was on the phone with the shipper and the shop to be sure all went well & it did. The boat was checked out again a week or so before leaving and there was a leak found in the lower unit so we sent a fresher alpha outdrive out to a Merc drive mechanic, to have it presure tested and checked out before it was installed. It took 2 extra hours not two days that the shipper had to wait for the drive to be installed. The same engine it always had in it since we got it from Bob, ran like a top, the interior was brand new, the paint was very fresh, we did clean up the rub rails and we thankfully have pics of her just before she left. I have not even had the courtesey of hearing from the buyer about the boat since it left Florida. We normally keep insurance on the boats until delivered just in case of a mishap and could have possibly helped if there was a problem on the road during the 3000 miles to it's new home. If there are pictures of it in the condition he states, I would love to see them. I have an email and a call into ebay & an email into the buyer about the matter & have posted pictures of the boat when Bob had it and right before it left Florida at the shop. I hope our wonderful harbormaster will not hold this against me for defending myself & I truly do not want a big mess here, but it ain't America if you cannot defend yourself against your acusers! Thanks again for the oportunity, TOM BAWSEL mishunaire@aol.com (mishunaire@aol.com)

donzi racer
12-19-2009, 11:04 AM
It was a great article he wrote. It was all about LG and stuff . Really great pictures of George in the old minx. Jamie from Lake side "wow" Weird when you put a face to people. You always have a kind of perception of what people look like when you have never have seen them. It can be:shocking: when you see what they really look like.

anyway. not sure about the :hijack: .But there is no arguing that Vettes former Minx was nicely done. the last thread was killed so I'm sure parts of this one will be to. but for the record,It sounds like vandalism may have taken place with the description. Or maybe the wrong boat was delivered.

Could you post the name of the magazine and the date of the article? Would love to see and read it. Would it be available on line? Thanks, Tom

Carl C
12-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Could you post the name of the magazine and the date of the article? Would love to see and read it. Would it be available on line? Thanks, Tom

Ditto. I would like to read it too. Funny that the writer never got back with us after we offered so much info and pics.

Tom Smith
12-19-2009, 01:51 PM
I just came upon this thread and wanted to say I bought my boat, a 1967 18' 2+3 we named Bluebird, from Tom and it was everything he said it was in his ad. Only problem we had when picking it up was the gel coat was being redone on the deck and the temps were too cold for it to set up properly so when we arrived in Florida in February of 2009 the boat wasn't quite ready. Tom and Rose put us up at their house for the night while the gel coat set up properly, and fed us too. We test drove the boat the following day and after completing the deal towed it to it's new home in to NC. Tom has a passion for Donzi's like no other and I just wanted to say we love our boat and have no regrets buying it from him. He does how ever have the gift of gab and will talk your ears off if you let him. Nobody's perfect.
Just my 2 cents. Tom Smith, proud owner of Bluebird!

Donzi Vol
12-19-2009, 02:19 PM
He does how ever have the gift of gab and will talk your ears off if you let him. Nobody's perfect.

:lol9: Yep!

I still miss your boat, Tom. Glad you're enjoying it!

Tom Smith
12-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi David. All that fussin with the gel coat in Florida and it was still so porous I ended up having the deck and cockpit painted anyway. It looks super now and wipes clean with a damp paper towell, instead of a pressure washer. Motor still runs sweet and I now have a new Morse MV-1 shifter in her too, thanks to my good buddy Howard O. No more guessing where neutral is any more. First warm day here in New Bern and she is going back in the water to test out that new shifter.
Be well, and to all, a Very Merry Christmas. Tom & Elaine
PS: I too would like to read that article about Donzi's, if it was ever published.

donzi racer
12-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Tom, it looked great here in Florida but WOW, you have done something extremely nice to the ole girl. It sure does not look the 42 years old that she is. Say hey to Elaine and have a wonderful Holiday. Tom

Now on the matter at hand about the Donzi Article, I was looking on the internet & saw something about May 2009 & PERFORMANCE BOATS MAGAZINE by Eric. I looked it up but do not have a subscription for it. Let me know if I got close. Would be neat to be able to put it here on the site for all to see.

HOWARD O
12-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Y'all don't think I go over and and help work on Tom Smith's boat because I like Tom Smith, do ya? I love his barrellback!!! :kingme: (well, I like Tom a little too :cool: )

Donzi Racer, if that was Vette's Minx, you don't need to explain a thing......that is a sweet boat. And I'm certainly not saying that because I like you! :wink:

donzi racer
12-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Attn. Tom Smith, you will be thrilled to see your Blue Bird Donzi Barrel Back pictured not once, but twice in the magazine article that they are discussing. I just cannot get over that issue coming out in february and not hearing about it anywhere especially here in the registry. Was it here and we just missed it. Seemed like it would have been a great help with the recognition of the older Donzi Classics. Really nice to see something like that. I still cannot see the whole article but can see minature pics. Page 70 in the February 2009 magazine. Tom

Tom Smith
12-21-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm famous, sorta! As for Howard, he can't get enough of me and my boat, or is it my boat then me, and I couldn't do it without him. What a great new friend I have made. The Donzi Family reminds me of the radio control model airplane family I have been a member of since 1965. I have made more lasting friends in that hobby than any other, and I have had plenty. From racing sports cars, drag racing with a friend, racing motorcycles off road, enduros, scrambles, and observed trials, sail boat racing on the Hudson River, ice boat racing on Orange Lake in NY, and now the Donzi Group. It seems as though this Donzi gang is as friendly and helpful as all the rest and I am glad to be a part of it, finally, after wanting a Donzi for the last 40 years. Raising 5 kids kinda got in the way, but then I happened upon Bluebird by chance and am now in seventh heaven. Show me that article. What magazine is it going to be in? Tom.

CHACHI
12-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Tom, did you ever ride off road in NYS?

Ken

Tom Smith
12-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I was a member of the Ace MC Club in Walden NY and that is where our TT Scrambles track was. Plus I rode at Andres Farm in Fishkill and Pop's Cycle Shop track in Walkill. I think that club was called the Playboys. . Then there was Jim Maroney's enduro at the Lido Mansion and the Stagecoach Enduro in NJ, which I won in 1971 in the bantam weight class. My buddy Ralph Durso took high point on an 80cc Sachs Boondocker that year and they made him tear it down because the guys on the 500s couldn't believe a stock bike that small went that fast through the woods. That was a common occurence for Ralph, who was a phenonimal rider, on anything. You should have seen him fly on his 250 Greves. Did a little trials riding too but nothing serious. I had 2 kids at that time and money was tight. Lots of good memories though. My buddies did the riding in the movie Alices's Resataurant. Most of the 7 guys I rode with are gone now save for 2 of them. Life is short. Enjoy it to the fullest. Tom

donzi racer
12-21-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm famous, sorta! As for Howard, he can't get enough of me and my boat, or is it my boat then me, and I couldn't do it without him. What a great new friend I have made. The Donzi Family reminds me of the radio control model airplane family I have been a member of since 1965. I have made more lasting friends in that hobby than any other, and I have had plenty. From racing sports cars, drag racing with a friend, racing motorcycles off road, enduros, scrambles, and observed trials, sail boat racing on the Hudson River, ice boat racing on Orange Lake in NY, and now the Donzi Group. It seems as though this Donzi gang is as friendly and helpful as all the rest and I am glad to be a part of it, finally, after wanting a Donzi for the last 40 years. Raising 5 kids kinda got in the way, but then I happened upon Bluebird by chance and am now in seventh heaven. Show me that article. What magazine is it going to be in? Tom.

Tom, I finally got a call from the Magazine and the february issue 2009 which is the one it is, in is online only. The Magazine does printed ones every two months and online in the middle months. I was wondering how Eric was asking for info in January and it was in print in February. He said something about being close to deadline but WOW. I was all ready to get copies for Christmas. ha ha Call me when you get a chance and I will let you know how to view it. It is in Performance Boats Magazine in the February 2009 online issue. Has a cool newer 22 Donzi on the cover. I guess maybe since it was in an online mag instead of an actual copy of a mag is why there was not much fan fare about the article here on the registry. Still think it would be great to be able to show it here for the registry to see. Maybe will see about that. I hope you enjopy seeing your girl on the pages. Tom

Carl C
12-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Donzi Racer got a plug and so did this site. Not very in depth though. Viewing info got deleted. Hmmm. I guess Tom can tell you.

BlownCrewCab
12-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Eric is a pretty cool guy, I'm sure if you asked Him he would give you the rights to post the whole Shabang here, You can usually find him on OSO, Or SOS (Offshoreonly & SeriousOffshore)

donzi racer
12-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Eric is a pretty cool guy, I'm sure if you asked Him he would give you the rights to post the whole Shabang here, You can usually find him on OSO, Or SOS (Offshoreonly & SeriousOffshore)

Since you know him, go ahead, Gord Head, would you mind asking him? The editor of the magazine was nice enough to send me a download of the article today. That was the 1st time I had seen it. The mention of my name in the article was much nicer than the one a couple pages back in this thread. ha ha If Harbormaster can take a 11MB download and put it up, it is a cool article about the Weavers and Baby Donzi's like my 1st one when I was 10 years old. I always love seeing those. It has some neat Classics pictured. Let me know if I can help in anyway. Isn't it funny how this was buried and now it is FOUND? Will be glad to email it to anyone if that doesn't get me into trouble. See how careful I am now? mmmmhhhwwwaaaaaa! That is my evil scientist laugh! Tom