PDA

View Full Version : Mattyboy.....

Donziweasel
01-22-2009, 03:21 PM
For nostalgia sake, I was trying to figure out what year our Donzi was when I was growing up. It had a Volvo 280 w/ the interior under rear set vent. What was the last year they made the interior vent? How about exterior top of transom vent? Our had both I believe and to check he fuel, you had to remove a round hatch to the right of the driver (left hand steer) and look at a gauge in the floor. Baby blue w/ Great Britain Flag. Just curious.

mattyboy
01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
DW,
did it have clam shell vents and how
many????? had the drive been replaced???

mattyboy
01-22-2009, 04:14 PM
not sure about the hatch either my site glass was out in the open I have seen newer 16 mid 70's with a round access hatch to get to the tank shut off not sure if it was factory or added

if it has the rear deck vent that has the blower it is an early boat 65-66 if it had the light and the vent plate with no holes and no blower it is a 67 early 68

the rear seat vent stopped in 68 or so

I agree the 280 puts it into the mid 70's which had no rear seat vent or rear deck vent ot light

Lenny
01-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Sounds like mine... :) Volvo 270, vent inside on floor, visual floor gas guage, two clam shell deck vents and the top transom long louvered grate...

BigGrizzly
01-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Our 1966 16 has blower in the vent we bough it new. It has never been restored, it has the vent in the peoplepit. It was an H&M model.

Donziweasel
01-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I am trying to remember everything. I have a couple of old pics of it somewhere, but since we moved last year and never unpacked everything, I am having trouble finding it.

I say Volvo 280 because it did trim. I remember either 270 or 280 on the drive and it was ****e. The reason I know is that I use to sit in it and hit a switch on the dash and it would trim the drive. I use to pretend that it was the engine running. I was only 4 or 5 years old.

I know for a fact it had the interior vent under the rear L seat. I droped somthing in it once. As for the rear transom vent, can't remember.

I also remember dad pulling up the round little hatch and the gas guage being in there. If I remember right, the guage moved around, not the needle. Man, I was young and can't remember everything.

I also remember a short stern light (like 3 inches high) that was fixed on the rear (can't remember if it was port or starboard).

This is where the Donzi thing all started for me. I always knew I would own one after those summers spent on Lake Rabun in North Georgia running around in our Donzi.

Funny, I also remember my dad did not know about the trim or use it although it was there. After I was messing with it, sometimes we would run half way down the lake trying to get on a plane.

My father always hated that boat. My grandfather bought it. It broke alot, and my dad thought it was very impractical. Me, I fell in love with it...........

It had to be a 1960's model. It is one of the first things I can remember as a kid......

glashole
01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
how old are you?
we can get a starting point if we work backwards

you were 4 or 5 and the boat apparently wasn't new at the time if it was breaking etc...

mattyboy
01-22-2009, 04:50 PM
could have been just the tilt button you were playing with??? yes the gauge didn't have a needle it had a pointer that stayed fixed and the gauge moved to reveal the F 3/4 1/2 and 1/4 E and it went from 1/4 to E quickly but mine had no cover it was a glass lens glassed into the floor

was it a ford or chevy motor???

if it was a 270t or 280t it must have been a replacement drive late 60's drive would have been a 250 which never had trim just tilt the 270 non trim was a 71 debut date the 280 was mid 70's

boxy
01-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Poodle, where is the pic of the early 16 sitting on the beams in the boathouse in the 1000 Islands???
Vent in the cockpit, Eaton Drive..... 65-66....

Donziweasel
01-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I am 39. Was born in 1969. In the photo's I have, I am probably 4-5 years old and we had had it for a while, or ever since I can remember. So, since I know it had the interior rear vent, where does that leave us? Damn, where is that picture!!!!!

All I can remember about the trim switch was it was a rubber covered little switch that made noise when I played with it.

Give me a few minutes, going to find that picture!!!!!

Donziweasel
01-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Found it!!!!!!!

Alright, two clam shell vents, right behind rear seat. The port one is facing foward, starboard perhaps facing rear? (a freind is standing in front of it). Steering wheel does not have the three holes on each side, but slots that run up the spokes. You can clearly see the interior vent under the rear seat. Can't see the transom to see if there is a vent there. Center fill gas, lifting rings, rear light is on starboard side. Drivers seat is not a wrap around bucket, but straight back and straight bottom seat.

Man, looking at that picture sure brings back memories........and I still love that boat my father use to curse at.........:)

I think it started breaking alot because it was my grandfather house and many people use to use it, including the Donzi. I think it was abused and driven wrong alot. Engine had to be a HM, it was blue and said 210 on it????

mattyboy
01-22-2009, 05:32 PM

BigGrizzly
01-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Here you go 1966 or 1977. That is what I remember. All the Fords were blue, not just the H&M.

Donziweasel
01-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Nice! What were the tell tails? For example, when did they discontinue to interior vent, two clamshells, slots instead of holes in the wheel? Also, I seem to remember the number 210 on the engine, hp?

mattyboy
01-22-2009, 05:39 PM
the tell take sign was the wheel i have only seen the donzi prop logo wheel on 67 models 7 meter, 16 18 14

Donziweasel
01-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Definetly had the prop logo on the wheel. Thanks Matty, nice history lesson. :)