PDA

View Full Version : The Exhausting Build

Speed Racer
01-22-2009, 10:22 AM
The V-drive Ski Sporter is coming along.. Engine, transmission, and drive are in, bottom is sealed up, shaft is straight and true! Interestingly, the original installation was close but not really great, as the transmission output and v-drive input flanges were out of alignment by just over 15 degrees. This required some re-engineering of the motor mounts to get things a bit closer.

Latest challenge:

Exhaust manifold output gaskets.
With the original Holman Moody manifolds and risers going back in the boat, I will be needing 4 gaskets. Vendors like Glenwood and Rex marine tell me that they are obsolete, and I will have to fabricate them from scratch. Is this true, and if so, what on earth do I use to make them out of that can seal exhaust and water jackets??

Anyone have any new old stock laying around?!!?

Thanks from Foggy and cold Seattle!

DonziJon
01-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I have worked with this company back before I retired. They will design and produce a gasket for your application and, at the time, there was no minimum quantity. I think we (small 5 person company I worked for) ordered two or three gaskets to our specifications and they made them up in a couple of weeks. The biggest cost was if we had wanted them in overnight/couple of days rather than weeks that we were satisfied with.

Our application was for a High Pressure Metallic Spiral Wound flange gasket (8" Diameter) for an air flask for the Navy that had to be good for 5,000 PSI. The cost, if memory serves, was less than $200 for 2 or 3 gaskets.

All I had to provide was the pressure requirements AND a drawing of the flange face with the dimensions. THEY do the engineering...ie materials thickness, etc. In your case I would think a Tracing of the exhaust manifold face with holes, etc.....or even the old gasket if it's in reasonably good shape (dimensionally) would suffice.

http://www.flexitallic.com/pro_therm.html

If nothing else works out, try them. John

DonziJon
01-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Gasket material available at NAPA.. A 2 oz ballpeen is the handiest tool for making them...

Poodle: So this is NOT a copper or steel bound gasket as is a head gasket??? I'm not all that familiar with exactly what an exhaust manifold gasket looks like. I thought the original poster was desperate so made my suggestion. I .............Just wondering. John

BUIZILLA
01-22-2009, 06:37 PM
NAPA carries a white gasket material that is hard, and requires a knife to cut.. it is about 3/32 to 1/16 thick... it comes in 2' square sheets if I remember right... it is pretty temperature resistant and very adequate for the job... it resembles a header gasket material... if you use it with Silkaleen sealer it will do the job even better

Speed Racer
01-23-2009, 10:28 AM
All Great information, Thanks.
The Napa guys up here in Sea-town looked at me with a blank stare when I asked them for the stuff.... BUT DonziJon's suggestion sent me on a really good path. 6 custom cut gaskets for 8 bucks a piece, in about 4 days!

Flexitallic was great on the phone, discussing the application, and what would work best. I am leaning toward a graphite based non-asbestos material. They recommended Paramount supply company www.paramountsupply.com (http://www.paramountsupply.com).

Photos soon.. too busy building to take and upload shots at this moment.

BigGrizzly
01-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Most of the gaskets have been obsolete for 20 years. There are companies that will do it but I would follow poodles advice The origional gaskets were not that good in the first place