PDA

View Full Version : eating a little crow?

BUIZILLA
01-21-2009, 03:50 PM
okay, I have to admit that yesterday's activity's were eye opening

I can't ever remember, or maybe I wasn't paying as much attention, but when was the last time we saw that kind of enthusiasm, and incredible comraderie, on Inauguration Day ?? at least since you've been alive...

It was an orderly and gleeful madhouse, perhaps long overdue

I truly can't remember anything like what I witnessed and watched on the tube... virtually every journalism expert or news reporter echoed the same opinion's, some even biting their GOP tongue's in astonishment.. me included

not one single arrest was reported, anywhere during the gala events, and how many people were there?

I actually went to bed thinking this wasn't so bad after all, maybe i'm naive, maybe not, but heh, what a helluva show and party that was..

I woke up this morning feeling pretty darn positive, the phones here have been a madhouse alllll day long, I can't write fast enough....

maybe 60 million of us had serious blinders on, maybe, just maybe...

time will tell...

Long live the United States of America

hoping for the best, signed Mr. Glib

Barry Eller
01-21-2009, 06:24 PM
I too was impressed. I hope President Obama gets the cooperation with the Senate, Congress and Supreme Court to get something done to turn things around. He is very intelligent and can damn sure deliver a speech.

I didn't vote for him, but he is our President and I will support him and keep him in my prayers.

SilverBack
01-21-2009, 06:27 PM
I think everybody knows that I was pulling for the other side.....I am still worried about my taxes......The way things have been going lately I am more worried about the economy......I was out doing things..I don't set at home when I am on land..I keep busy doing stuff......but I hope that you are right....The President is the President and I hope that he can get things going. It is very hard to think that it will be much worse than Bush.....I loved Bush for the first 4 years but things have gone off the rails.

I hope that President Obama can get things moving!!!

I hope that you are right!!!!

Donziweasel
01-21-2009, 06:40 PM
I agree that it was enthusiastic and energetic. It was also eye opening. I saw some of the interviews and peoples expectations are a little off, IMO. His approval rating is 80% today, but after some of what I saw, that will drop dramatically.

It was a great inuaguration, BUT, here are some of the interviews I saw. One black lady said that now Obama was in office, he would be paying her heating bill and rent each month. She was dead serious, thought it was a new Obama policy. Another white guy was excited because he thought he would not be paying taxes anymore. Actually, a few thought that.

Saw all kind of stuff, people thinking marijuana will be legalized, abortions outlawed, peace in the middle east, a man on Jupiter, all kind of stuff.

I think people need to realize Obama is taking a job with an economy in toilet, a bad foreign image, etc.....and he is only a man. Change may or may not come, but if it does, it will be s l o w.

Anyway, great inuaguration, but now time to back up all the fancy rhetoric and get to work fixing the world.

zelatore
01-21-2009, 06:47 PM
DW, I gotta agree with you. I think his speech was trying to tell people that. I heard some criticism of the speech for it not being lofty enough or long enough given the moment, but I think he was on the right track trying to tell people to calm down and realize just because one guy left and another stepped in things didn't magically change.

Although if he did wanted to legalize marijuana I might be willing to listen...

Buiz, I've been hearing some of the same things out here. Some vendors have been saying things took a sudden upswing. No real reason, people just seem to be in a good mood.

Now let's see how long it lasts before reality brings us all back to earth.

gold-n-rod
01-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I went to an inauguration party last night. We took my 18 yo son as a DD. Leaving the party, I had the back door of the car open and was getting in when he pulled ahead........ and ran over my goddamn foot!!!:shocking:

Damn, did that hurt. The big toe is purple and it throbs like crazy.

An inauguration to remember!

bootdaddy
01-21-2009, 07:19 PM
I am definitely a conservative, low-tax, strong military, self-responsibility guy and wife is the same. We watched the tube yesterday and last night and were both pretty impressed.

I thought the gravity guys grabbing their crotch was little loose and off the mark for the event.

Anyhow, my wife who is also somewhat conservative was rather moved by the whole thing. Speech made her teary eyed etc. Today, she just felt more positive and hopeful about the country in general and was trying to talk me into sharing those feelings... Her point was that if everybody just felt more posiitive and took actions around those feelings things could only get better.

I hope she is right and hope Obama can pull it off...

Just Say N20
01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Deleted.

VetteLT193
01-22-2009, 06:53 AM
It was enthusiastic and energetic for the wrong reason(s).

It also included some of the most classless and tasteless happenings in the history of the Office.

Here's a couple...

The crowd was singing "na na na na hey hey hey good bye" regarding Bush
Lowery's prayer ending was re-friggen-diculous

Carl C
01-22-2009, 08:09 AM
It's all fine until taxes start going up. I expect a gas tax increase to be one of the first:frown:. Maybe he will prove me wrong and make some correct decisions, some of which are so obvious it makes me sick:mad:. I also thought that there was way too much emphasis on race. Was Kennedy our first "Irish-American" president? (Just an example). If Obama is "African-American" does that make me a "Brittish-American"? Hmmmm. And the preacher doing the "benediction" says "when white does what is right" wtf? We will see.

mattyboy
01-22-2009, 08:26 AM
I went to an inauguration party last night. We took my 18 yo son as a DD. Leaving the party, I had the back door of the car open and was getting in when he pulled ahead........ and ran over my goddamn foot!!!:shocking:
Damn, did that hurt. The big toe is purple and it throbs like crazy.
An inauguration to remember!

pretty soon the country will feel and look like your toe

Vette

I agree it was like they were bleacher creatures, and pelosi introducing she wants criminal charges against bush if that was true about getting off her ^SS and starting impreachment proceedings before this. but now is the time to dog pile on the rabbitt.

now he wants gitmo closed, that scares the **** out of me,

BUIZILLA
01-22-2009, 08:39 AM
I agree it was like they were bleacher creatures, and pelosi introducing she wants criminal charges against bush if that was true about getting off her ^SS and starting impreachment proceedings before this. but now is the time to dog pile on the rabbitt. the ONLY thing Bush did that was remotely criminal was not jailing Chris Dodd and Barney Boy.... too bad we don't have a Congressional Tribunal like the military has, with a court martial process...

Air 22
01-22-2009, 08:43 AM
the ONLY thing Bush did that was remotely criminal was not jailing Chris Dodd and Barney Boy.... too bad we don't have a Congressional Tribunal like the military has, with a court martial process...

Well Said...:wink:

mattyboy
01-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Jim, you got it , the inauguration was about fashion and it was very fashionable to hop on the bash the bush bandwagon.

I was told by my father the "office or title demands respect" the man who holds that office or title must earn and live up to that respect.

the new president has not done anything to earn respect of the office. I didn't always agree with Bush but he never lost my respect, and when he said at ground zero we will not falter we will not fail i believed him. once we let up they will strike again

BUIZILLA
01-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I believe Caroline Kennedy stepping aside was for the better

I also believe a Geithner appointment would NOT be for the better

Ghost
01-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I believe Caroline Kennedy stepping aside was for the better

I also believe a Geithner appointment would NOT be for the better

Agreed on both fronts. Wish I knew the story behind the story in the Kennedy "you can't refuse me I quit" event...

BUIZILLA
01-22-2009, 03:30 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/01/22/president.tension/art.p.r.gi.jpg

carefully study the facial expressions...

cynicism at it's finest

you just can't make this stuff up...

mattyboy
01-24-2009, 09:07 AM
sorry the other theme in his speech was that the people need to work harder to correct this Country. sorry go sell crazy some where else we are all stocked up here.

I can't take on much more responsibilty as a citizen, working paying taxes, paying for health care,the cost of 2 college educations. i am not complaining I don't need a hand out I can manage but what i really need is for the Gov't to stay the hell out of my way and life.

how about the politicians showing us the way say a 5% paycut for the senate and congress and take back 2 weeks vacation. show these pin heads in DC what the real world is ;)

not for the kiddies :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7o9p0fP6cQ

HOWARD O
01-24-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree with BUIZ to the extent that it was an impressive inauguration, but I expected nothing less. I expected nothing less because Obama was elected by putting on a show and nothing more. He's got no substance whatsoever.

First of all, I don't believe he should've legally been elected because I don't believe he was born here. I also believe there are many parallels between the cult like following of Obama and that of Hitler's rise to power, in that the blind enthusiasm does plainly exist. No, he's not Hitler and that's not my implication.

But now that he has been elected, i will pray for him and support him because he does hold the title of our President. I will be vocal and disagree with his policies of which I'm certain I will almost always disagree with. What I will NOT do is disrespect the man nor will I disrespect the office......unlike the no class, liberal panty-waist Bush bashers out there. Maybe they'll learn something but I doubt it because it IS a disease after all!

mattyboy
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
well everybody buckle up the country is about to take a hard left like in nascar we have reached the end of the straight a way and we are gonna make a hard left :nilly: