PDA

View Full Version : New Addition to the fleet

ITTLFLI
01-21-2009, 09:49 AM
I just picked up this 2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX as more of a family boat. When I first got into boating on my own I was hard core into skiing then drifted off into the high performance boat world as I got older, mainly as a way to hang with my father. It has been fun but I have done just about everything I have wanted to do with my 22.

When my son was born my wife and I both agreed we wanted him to grow up skiing, wakeboarding, ect. So I have been keeping a beat on the Malibu inboard market for a number of years. This boat was right up my alley as the owner had hurt the motor by overheating it. To rebuild the Indmar 350ci/340hp "Monsoon" is not really a big deal for me. Actually I welcome the thought after playing with Big Block Chevy's for ten years!

Heres the pics. It needs a GOOD detail also but its will clean up really nice!

roadtrip se
01-21-2009, 04:05 PM
So I have nephews ages three and five. I bet they would be a lot more excited about tubing behind that thing versus the SS down at the lake.

Get it put together! We got coving to do.

ITTLFLI
01-25-2009, 06:42 PM
So I have nephews ages three and five. I bet they would be a lot more excited about tubing behind that thing versus the SS down at the lake.
Get it put together! We got coving to do.

We will have it out! More the merrier!

I picked it up in Louisville Saturday morning and wedged into my dads garage to go ahead and pull the motor that afternoon. The dealer had already taken the heads off so most of it was taken apart. We just had to take out the short block. He had overheated it and filled the cyl up with water then let it sit until he had money to take to dealer. They quoted a brand new motor.....so to my luck the quote scared the heck outta him!!

I got the motor out and tore down ready to go to the machine shop. It was fun taking a seized motor apart!

Heres a few pics of the "dirty" boat.........

ITTLFLI
01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
a couple of the engine(dont be scared:wink:)

Jerry Eisele
01-27-2009, 08:16 AM
SWEET:nilly:Do you think Parker will be ready for his new boat by the summer? Congratulations, that looks like a quick recovery for the SMS team!!

undertaker
01-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Very cool....I also was a hard core skier (competed in many ski tournaments) in my younger days....I skied behind a 83 Ski Nautigue......:yes: as a matter of fact my Dad still owns the Ski Nautigue....I am sure your family will have a ball with the new boat...keep us posted on the engine overhaul:):)

ITTLFLI
01-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Very cool....I also was a hard core skier (competed in many ski tournaments) in my younger days....I skied behind a 83 Ski Nautigue......:yes: as a matter of fact my Dad still owns the Ski Nautigue....I am sure your family will have a ball with the new boat...keep us posted on the engine overhaul:):)

LOL! I was into it hard core but not necessarily a hard core skier:wink::drinkbeer: I love those older Nautiques! If I lived on a lake with a dock I think thats the inboard I would have!

:wrench:

FISHIN SUCKS
01-28-2009, 07:07 PM
......what's that, am I having a vision of Corvette Taillights in the Transom??? I think I am. Very cool boat brotha! It has been since '89 since I helped found the Ball State Water Ski team (which I think is no longer), but after wake surfing last summer behind our friends Mastercraft, I might be hittin you up! Well, don't feel obligated, but the wakesetter puts out a great wake. Congrats man!

ITTLFLI
01-29-2009, 06:54 AM
......what's that, am I having a vision of Corvette Taillights in the Transom??? I think I am. Very cool boat brotha! It has been since '89 since I helped found the Ball State Water Ski team (which I think is no longer), but after wake surfing last summer behind our friends Mastercraft, I might be hittin you up! Well, don't feel obligated, but the wakesetter puts out a great wake. Congrats man!
Bring your board to AOTH...we can go out for a sunrise board session..uh..and a bloody mary :yes: :eek:
If I have it finished I may actually bring it for Parker and Jill to tool around in:kingme:.....if thats the case the 22 will be on "KILL":drive::smileybo:

RedDog
01-29-2009, 02:36 PM
...if thats the case the 22 will be on "KILL":drive::smileybo:

that's definitely some smack :wink:

FISHIN SUCKS
01-30-2009, 06:03 AM
that's definitely some smack :wink:
He makes us so proud:) Fortunately, last year he was able to back it up at aoth, remember?

undertaker
01-30-2009, 08:39 AM
LOL! I was into it hard core but not necessarily a hard core skier:wink::drinkbeer: I love those older Nautiques! If I lived on a lake with a dock I think thats the inboard I would have!
:wrench:

:):):):pimp::pimp:......funny thing is when I was skiing nobody liked skiing behind our nautique because the wakes were too big compared to the Mastercraft....now they are all looking for the older Nautiques to wake board off of....:)

Hope you can get in done for AOTH..would be cool for Jill & Parker to cruise around in....see ya in May:):)

Schaf
02-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Great boat. Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the rebuild.

ITTLFLI
02-16-2009, 09:12 PM
The motor is all back together and being delivered to the dyno tomorrow. Probably wont get to run it for a week or 2 as I will be on the road for work quite a bit the next 2 weeks.

In the meantime I have been polishing some of the aluminum hardware that holds the speakers and board racks to the tower. Take a look....

Sam
02-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Nice boat Byron :yes:, have fun.

ITTLFLI
03-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Dynoed the engine yesterday mainly to break it in. It is basically just a stock vortech 350. We had to punch it out .030 due to cylinder wall damage. I did not rig up the indmar fuel injection for the dyno so we just ran it with a intake and carb since the idea was to just break it in. She did 310hp and 376tq. Its rated at 340 from indmar. The intake is very simular to the scorpion. I was happy. Now i have to get all the accesories sanded and painted so i can get it dropped back in the boat!

Here are afew pics. Its ugly now and especially with that red intake but I promise it will be pretty when it goes back in :wink:

ITTLFLI
03-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Got some rigging done last night....

KerrLake
03-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Nice aluminum cylinder......

gold-n-rod
03-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Nice aluminum cylinder......

Looks like about 12 oz of displacement!!!!!!! :rlol:

ITTLFLI
03-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Looks like about 12 oz of displacement!!!!!!! :rlol:

:beer:

Sam
03-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Sounds like it will be a good strong reliable motor :yes:.

ITTLFLI
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Got the engine dropped in last night. Worked on fitting the accessory's today. I went thru and polished all the stainless clamps as well. IF its going to be stock at least the clamps can have some bling:yes:

Also finished up the refurb on the tower speakers....:wrench:

Bead blasted the "Wedge" also. Trying to decide if I should paint the whole thing black or polish the bottom and paint the rest black. It was black originally.:cool:

ITTLFLI
03-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Made some progress tonight...got injectors back in and wiring harness back on. Now just gotta get the manifolds on and the plenum back from the powdercoat guy! :wrench: :eek:

hot shot
03-21-2009, 02:36 PM
looks great... are you still thinking about bringing that as well as the 22 to aoth ?

ITTLFLI
03-24-2009, 06:31 AM
looks great... are you still thinking about bringing that as well as the 22 to aoth ?

If the logistics work out I may bring it down for Jill and Parker to run around in(and any other wife/child combo that wishes). That way I am "unleashed" to run the DONZI as "sprited" as I wish!!!:biggrin.: :outtahere:

undertaker
03-24-2009, 07:26 AM
If the logistics work out I may bring it down for Jill and Parker to run around in(and any other wife/child combo that wishes). That way I am "unleashed" to run the DONZI as "sprited" as I wish!!!:biggrin.: :outtahere:

Bryon that would be cool if you can bring the ski boat we have a serious wakeboarder (CDMA) and former serious skiers (me:biggrin:) and you) coming to AOTH, that could try to see if it can still pull a skier/wakeboarder....:biggrin::biggrin:....might be fun to see had much I am not in shape anymore.......:troll:

Undertaker:kyle:

zelatore
03-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Bryon that would be cool if you can bring the ski boat we have a serious wakeboarder (CDMA) and former serious skiers (me:biggrin:) and you) coming to AOTH, that could try to see if it can still pull a skier/wakeboarder....:biggrin::biggrin:....might be fun to see had much I am not in shape anymore.......:troll:
Undertaker:kyle:

As a once-upon-a-time semi-serious skier, I can still feel the pain from the last time I got up on a ski. After about 5 minutes it was all I could do to crawl back into the boat with my legs shaking.

Yup, if you want to feel out of shape just grab a ski and go for that first ride of the season.

undertaker
03-24-2009, 10:10 AM
As a once-upon-a-time semi-serious skier, I can still feel the pain from the last time I got up on a ski. After about 5 minutes it was all I could do to crawl back into the boat with my legs shaking.
Yup, if you want to feel out of shape just grab a ski and go for that first ride of the season.

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:......exactly:biggri n:

Undertaker:wavey:

ITTLFLI
03-24-2009, 10:30 AM
You guys are right about that!! I have my original barefoot suit.....i think i need to do someworking out before I attempt to fit in that thing!

Another quick dose of reality of how out of shape i am was last sunday when i spent the day riding my motocross dirtbike!! I had to roll outta bed Monday morning!!:newzealand:

undertaker
03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Ed, you licensed in Kentucky too?? :D :D

:biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.:

undertaker
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
You guys are right about that!! I have my original barefoot suit.....i think i need to do someworking out before I attempt to fit in that thing!
Another quick dose of reality of how out of shape i am was last sunday when i spent the day riding my motocross dirtbike!! I had to roll outta bed Monday morning!!:newzealand:

Original barefoot suit....we won't even go there, that is not going to fit by May:yes::outtahere:or June or July...:eek::cool!:....would be cool though to get on the skis again, I know CDMA would be in for sure, he still wakeboards alot....

ITTLFLI
03-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Original barefoot suit....we won't even go there, that is not going to fit by May:yes::outtahere:or June or July...:eek::cool!:....would be cool though to get on the skis again, I know CDMA would be in for sure, he still wakeboards alot....

Well barring no major issues it should be ready. I just need to figure out how to get it down there....

ITTLFLI
03-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Got the plenum back from the powder coater. I wasn't real happy how it turned out so I think I will have him do it again over the winter. Only this time I will prep it! I will also be buying a new polished emplem for the front of the plenum. The one I have is pitted pretty bad.

I got the plenum bolted on....just have to bolt on the mass air, run the plug wires, and bolt on the exhaust mani's. Oh...and prey the computer is not in limp mode from whrn the previous owner overheated it. I may be searching for a scanner.

I cleaned up the manifolds tonight as well. They will look pretty good once they are bolted on. The are a cast header style. Pretty PIMP :pimp: for a ski boat!!

I also pumped some fuel into a jar to inspect it as well. It sort of old so I will be emptying the fuel tank also.

BUIZILLA
03-24-2009, 07:32 PM
interesting manifolds..

ITTLFLI
04-06-2009, 08:35 AM
The weather finally cooperated for a day up here in Ohio. I was able to climb in and run the plug wires sat afternoon. I hit the ignition and the beast fired! MAN...that was a good feeling..no vid but here is a pic with water running out the tips...:kingme:

ITTLFLI
04-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Got a chance to set the timing this past sat and ready for a water test this coming weekend!:pimp:

ITTLFLI
04-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Took it for its maiden voyage! She ran geat! Whoo hoo! :kingme:

Jerry Eisele
04-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Looks great!!

ITTLFLI
05-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Got the Malibu done and took the family out on it last Sunday to put some time on it. I scanned it for codes and played with some of the fun scanner features. No codes...

Gallons per hour @:
2000rpm=4.2
3000rpm=9
3500rpm=11.2

undertaker
05-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Well are we bringing the ski boat to Kentucky...:wink::wink:...need to know whether I need to pack my waterskiis:wink::wink::):)

Undertaker

ITTLFLI
05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I would love to but i dont have another tow truck. Everybody I know of headin south already has a boat in tow!

I will have it down the next weekend for memorial day if you happen to stay the week!:wink:

undertaker
05-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Weeeeew....thank god, I thought I was going to be sore the whole weekend,trying to be young again......wink:.....waterskies will be staying home:yes::yes:

ITTLFLI
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Weeeeew....thank god, I thought I was going to be sore the whole weekend,trying to be young again......wink:.....waterskies will be staying home:yes::yes:

LMAO!!:yes:

:beer:

Air 22
05-10-2009, 07:06 AM

Common ED...what's the matter?? You don't enjoy the elbow joint and lower back pain with some forearm pump on the long drive home??..lol:nilly:...:pimp:
There is always LG...:)

undertaker
05-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Common ED...what's the matter?? You don't enjoy the elbow joint and lower back pain with some forearm pump on the long drive home??..lol:nilly:...:pimp:
There is always LG...:)

OHHHH I luv all the pain:eek::eek::yes:....BUT I aint as young OR in shape (gained a few pounds:boggled:) like I was when I skied seriously......but I would be up for a Lake George ski run:pimp::nilly::shades:...U go first:bonk: see ya in a few days:cool!:

tamburello
05-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Byron -

That turned out awesome! Have fun with 'er!

- Jeff

ITTLFLI
05-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Byron -
That turned out awesome! Have fun with 'er!
- Jeff

Thanks! I put 8 hours on her over the weekend! I think if I were to name this boat it would have to be "PLAYPEN." The thing is huge with lots of storage and plenty of room for my almost 2 yr old son to roam around safely!

Parker asked to drive on the way back to the dock yesterday. He told me to get up so he could drive. I adjusted the seat so he could reach and steer. He then proceeded to ask for his grandpas straw hat and moved the sunscreen from the cup holder and put his waterbottle in it! What a riot!!

ITTLFLI
05-26-2009, 08:19 PM
oops forgot one with the hat...:tongue:

MDonziM
05-27-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks! I put 8 hours on her over the weekend! I think if I were to name this boat it would have to be "PLAYPEN." The thing is huge with lots of storage and plenty of room for my almost 2 yr old son to roam around safely!

Parker asked to drive on the way back to the dock yesterday. He told me to get up so he could drive. I adjusted the seat so he could reach and steer. He then proceeded to ask for his grandpas straw hat and moved the sunscreen from the cup holder and put his waterbottle in it! What a riot!!

Byron,
Boat looks great, I think you did better than my friends in FL. Did a lot of skiing, wakeboarding, wakesurfing and tubing in my day. Saw the Bright White Light too manytimes wiping out toeside wakeboarding...
Enjoy it, not too many "safe" places for 2yr. olds.

tamburello
05-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Byron -

Sarah and I were cracking up at your story and pics, too cool! 3 generations of Scholle's boating together, it must be in the genes. It looks like your gonna have a fun summer with the new ride.:yes:

- Jeff