PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler get help but no $$$

MOP
01-20-2009, 06:47 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/19/autos/chrysler_fiat.reut/index.htm?postversion=2009012007

CHACHI
01-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Chrysler Topolino, could happen. They had the Chrysler Maserati TC.

Ken

gold-n-rod
01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
A Chrysler/FIAT alliance??? Hope it runs better than the Renault Alliance!!

I wonder what FIAT (Fix It Again, Tony) has learned about the US market in the past 35 years? Its foray into the US market in the 70's was an unbelieveable disaster. When they ran, they couldn't outrun the rustbugs and were rotted hulks in short time. Other imports suffered the same fate, but they mostly learned from their mistakes (Toyota figured out the body rust, but forgot about the frames... oops). :bonk:

All FIAT did was sulk back to Europe, where I presume they had greater success, since they are still in business today.

Chrysler has had several alliances with import manufacturers over its lifetime... none successful. I wish them good luck.

DonziJon
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
FIAT became the HUGO didn't it? :bonk: John

zelatore
01-20-2009, 09:46 AM
This image is the main reason Fiat hasn't come back to the US.

Of course, some of their brands are reasonably well respected. I don't think too many of you would turn your noses up at a Fix It Again Tony car with a prancing horse on the nose, would you? Some might argue those Fiats are the most desirable cars in the world.

Fiat is HUGE, and yes, they have a pretty solid reputation these days whether it's a small mini car or a supercar. And they own just about everything automotive in Italy.

There hasn't been much talk about relaunching Fiat proper into the US, although perhaps the 500 would be a good alternative to the Mini. I got a look at one at Monterey last summer and it's pretty cool.

Of course, Ferrari has been here forever, and they've re-launched Maserati successfully. They've release the Alfa 8C, but they've delayed the launch of the full Alfa line ... something I've been eagerly awaiting.

Yes, all those and more are Fiats...

gold-n-rod
01-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Of course, some of their brands are reasonably well respected. I don't think too many of you would turn your noses up at a Fix It Again Tony car with a prancing horse on the nose, would you? Some might argue those Fiats are the most desirable cars in the world.

Except that Chrysler doesn't need a supercar... it already has one.

zelatore
01-20-2009, 11:42 AM
No Chrysler doesn't need a supercar. I was really just trying to get across that although most Americans think Fiat and think rusted out little beater, they actually are a respectable auto maker who's done pretty well in the rest of the world.

I doubt if you would see any Fiats rebadged as Chryslers, although I suppose you would get some platform sharing and technology overlap. I think Fiat's real interest is in getting access to the US market and Chrysler's distribution network. Though God help them if they try to market Fiat, Lancia, or Alfa though any of the existing Chrysler dealers...history has shown that's a disaster waiting to happen.

gold-n-rod
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Though God help them if they try to market Fiat, Lancia, or Alfa though any of the existing Chrysler dealers...history has shown that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Amen to that, brother!

Craig S
01-20-2009, 08:48 PM
I hate to sound stupid...but does Fiat make leading world class small cars?

I was hoping for Renault/Nissan, but Fiat???
geez!

zelatore
01-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I hate to sound stupid...but does Fiat make leading world class small cars?

I was hoping for Renault/Nissan, but Fiat???
geez!

Fiat does make some great small cars. The new 500 has won all sorts of awards this year. The 500 doesn't have any history in the US, but it was a hugely popular car in it's original form during the 60's, and just as the first car was a worthy competitor to the original Mini, the new 500 (esp. the Abarth version) is a solid competitor for the new Mini.

It would/will be tough for Fiat to get into the US market. Not only would they have to deal with the economy being where it is, but they would have to overcome the 70's image most Americans still have of them being nothing but cheap rusting little clunkers. The truth is a lot of their 70's stuff wasn't great, but then again that holds true of most cars sold in this country in the 70s.

I don't think they would do well as a main-stream car seller in the US, but if they could position themselves as a niche market; small, affordable, stylish cars with personality, they might be able to make a go of it here.

Of course, I think everybody knows I'm just treading water waiting for them to bring Alfa back.

Fiat 500 Abarth
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9070917.011/fiat-500-abarth-ss

Ghost
01-21-2009, 01:13 AM
... but if they could position themselves as a niche market; small, affordable, stylish cars with personality, they might be able to make a go of it here.

I would think so. In a time of reduced expectations, people might find it more appealing to buy a smaller, more modest car that had a wrinkle of a new marque to it. A bit like the style of Mini. At the same time, they need to find the right way to combine that style/influence with something really made here to really fit the times, in my opinion.

Cuda
01-21-2009, 08:23 AM
No Chrysler doesn't need a supercar. I was really just trying to get across that although most Americans think Fiat and think rusted out little beater, .

I've never gotten over thinking of GM products as rusted big beaters. Does GM still have the "Body by Fisher"?

DonziJon
01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Anyone old enough to remember the FIAT ABARTH GT "Bubble Roof" coupe from the early sixties. It would out drag. out quarter mile, and out top end our famous Corvette of the time, having a top speed of over 140 MPH. AND ....it could go around corners. It had a similar look to the Opel GT.

Then there was the FIAT DINO from the mid to late sixties. A nice looking sports car in coupe or roadster version with a FERRARI 2.0 Litre 4 cam V-6 "Racing" engine. Ferrari wanted to race Formula 2 and the rules said the Formula 2 engine had to have been available in "Street" form and had to have built at least 500 examples. The Fiat Dino was born.

A couple of years later, Ferrari actually put this engine.. (now 2.4 Litres) in the 246 Ferrari Dino. :yes: John

PS: Anyone remember the Mickey Thompson Corvette Grand Sport? They built 5 of them for Daytona...or was it Sebring? BRUTAL Acceleration but alas, it wouldn't corner. :bonk:

roadtrip se
01-21-2009, 02:04 PM
This alliance doesn't really solve anything for Chrysler other than perhaps give Cerebrus a graceful exit strategy from their disasterous foray into the car business. Fiat is not commiting to any investment in this deal...

If anything, it may muck up the loans coming from DC, because now we have a private equity company and two foreign car companys, don't forget Mercedes still has something short of a 20% stake in this mess, benefiting from US tax dollars.

I feel for the people left at Chrysler and their dealers.

zelatore
01-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Anyone old enough to remember the FIAT ABARTH GT "Bubble Roof" coupe from the early sixties. It would out drag. out quarter mile, and out top end our famous Corvette of the time, having a top speed of over 140 MPH. AND ....it could go around corners. It had a similar look to the Opel GT.
Then there was the FIAT DINO from the mid to late sixties. A nice looking sports car in coupe or roadster version with a FERRARI 2.0 Litre 4 cam V-6 "Racing" engine. Ferrari wanted to race Formula 2 and the rules said the Formula 2 engine had to have been available in "Street" form and had to have built at least 500 examples. The Fiat Dino was born.
A couple of years later, Ferrari actually put this engine.. (now 2.4 Litres) in the 246 Ferrari Dino. :yes: John
PS: Anyone remember the Mickey Thompson Corvette Grand Sport? They built 5 of them for Daytona...or was it Sebring? BRUTAL Acceleration but alas, it wouldn't corner. :bonk:

I believe I've seen examples of each of those on-track at one historic race or another...

I still miss going to the Chicago Historics - great event at what I think is the best track in America (Road America). Granted, I haven't been to Barber. Yet.

Craig S
01-21-2009, 07:01 PM
I would think so. In a time of reduced expectations, people might find it more appealing to buy a smaller, more modest car that had a wrinkle of a new marque to it. A bit like the style of Mini. At the same time, they need to find the right way to combine that style/influence with something really made here to really fit the times, in my opinion.

They've got the new 500, but I'm not sure its a competitor for the Mini...or Smart or Fit or Yaris (what I purchased last week). iow, I'm not sure its what you'd call "world class".
http://i.l.cnn.net/money/2009/01/20/autos/chrysler_fiat/fiat_500.03.jpg