PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons various wireless routers

MOP
01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Picked up a lap top and want to add a wireless router so Bonnie can surf simultaneously. What are my options without getting crazy?

Phil

BUIZILLA
01-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Belkin G PLus

zimm17
01-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Linksys 54G. $45 mail order and always works. I have 2 of them, dad runs his entire server at home, 4 computers, 2 printers all off of one too.

If you want a small, portable solution and only have need 1 cat-5 cable port, I really like the Apple airport express. It has 1 port, 1 usb for a printer, and an audio out port if you want to stream itunes wirelessly to your home stereo- great for parties or sitting on the couch and playing DJ from your couch. It also works with the 54G all on 1 network if you just want it for the audio out part- (that what I use it for)

Ghost
01-19-2009, 10:47 PM
There are a lot of small wireless router/hubs. My experiences with many have sucked, and so far, it appears that the incompatibilities have been between specific devices and specific wireless cards, or combinations of wireless cards. Nothing has worked with everything.

So, in short, whatever you try, I would suggest you don't wait to learn more and set up any fancy security, and instead set up everyhing right away, and test it out thoroughly with multiple machines connected.

Then, if anything is just not happy together, for whatever reason, you can drop the f-er off back inside a 30-day no-questions-asked return period and try a different one, rather than get into a snowball of Tech-Support Hell.

FWIW,

Mike

Trueser
01-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Cisco Linksys 54G works great.

penbroke
01-20-2009, 07:41 AM
I have had good luck with the Linksys units as well. Not sure how it would work with dial up though...:wink:

Frank

mattyboy
01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
dial up ????? no you're kidding right

the new offerings from verizon with fios include a wireless router with security.
belkin , linksys/cisco, netgear are all good products
i did have some problems with the newer wireless protocols and older OS systems but not much

Trueser
01-20-2009, 06:30 PM
The question is does the mad poster MOP have a new high speed connection? or does he hold the record for dial-up?

VetteLT193
01-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Best value is usually 1 or 2 year old technology. I bought my wireless router for $5 and have been using it for 3 years now. It's not the fastest, but there are plenty of other bottle-necks so it hasn't been a problem for me at all.

FISHIN SUCKS
01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
If a router is located in my loft, how well will this Lynksys54G work reaching to my laptop in basement (loft/main floor/basement set up)? I have a netgear card if it makes a difference.

Trueser
01-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Should be fine.

txtaz
01-31-2009, 07:13 AM
If a router is located in my loft, how well will this Lynksys54G work reaching to my laptop in basement (loft/main floor/basement set up)? I have a netgear card if it makes a difference.

I've seen people who needed to add a wireless hop to span floors. Or you could be like me and hard wire it for faster speeds. Besides everything is going GigaBit.

Phil, Any G wireless will work for you. I've used Belkin and Linksys with no problems. Be sure to use WEP for security.

Da Taz<---Go 1000BASE-T or go home. Hymmm, maybe I need to look into fiber NIC's and hubs.

boxy
01-31-2009, 07:28 AM
Picked up a lap top and want to add a wireless router so Bonnie can surf simultaneously. What are my options without getting crazy?

Phil

2 computers sharing a dial-up wireless network ??? :nilly::nilly:

MOP
01-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Yes even though I am not sure if I need it I did switch to cable, remember I do know about speed having a T-1 at work. The main reason for the switch was costs, phone was running about $160 a month, cable TV $56 and $20 for the dial up. That was $236 a month to the package deal of $106. inc taxes. I went with a Linksys WRT160N router the range is great from what I can see, I took the laptop out int he yard about 75 feet from the house and it still shows a very strong signal. The bum part is now I have no time to play games while something loads, but for a $130.00 savings I will deal with it!!!

Trueser
01-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Yes even though I am not sure if I need it I did switch to cable, remember I do know about speed having a T-1 at work. The main reason for the switch was costs, phone was running about $160 a month, cable TV $56 and $20 for the dial up. That was $236 a month to the package deal of $106. inc taxes. I went with a Linksys WRT160N router the range is great from what I can see, I took the laptop out int he yard about 75 feet from the house and it still shows a very strong signal. The bum part is now I have no time to play games while something loads, but for a $130.00 savings I will deal with it!!!

just think of the posting speed. 10k post on dial up has to be a record

FISHIN SUCKS
02-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanx Wes and Mike, now I need to go to newegg or something and buy this thing. Many thanx,
tom

txtaz
02-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanx Wes and Mike, now I need to go to newegg or something and buy this thing. Many thanx,
tom

Try something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-G-Range-Expander-WRE54G/dp/B00021XIJW).

Da Taz<---I've gone wired:nilly:

Trueser
02-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I have a few of those around.

donation to the board and it's yours.

harbormaster
02-03-2009, 04:00 AM
My Fave is the linksys equipment. The phone support is top notch. Most of the other companies equipment really sucks. As far as i am concered there is only one company for routers; cisco/linksys. I have an older Linksys router. Its actually LINUX based and I loaded custom firmware to turn it into a repeater. pretty cool. Phil, I also have a spare linksys router you can have if you want it.

As for network cards I recommend the alfa network model AWUS036H.
Most of you have never heard of it. Its really popular with the "hacker crowd" because its power.
BUY IT. You will thank me for it. It is the strongest USB wireless adapter you can get (500mw). It requires 2 USB ports and has the capability of adding an external high gain antenna. I hook it to my laptop when I am driving around and I need access to the net. You can get the off the internet. The last one I bought was on ebay for 65 and came with a hi-gain antenna. Click here to see one. (http://cgi.ebay.com/500mW-Alfa-USB-Wireless-Adapter-8-dBi-ANTENNA-AWUS036H_W0QQitemZ120367771236QQcmdZViewItemQQptZC OMP_HN_Network_Adapters?hash=item120367771236&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50) With a standard wireless card I may see 3 networks around my house; with the alfa I see 12 networks.
This added strength means you can pull in the signal really well. WIFI signals can really be degraded by walls, floors, and tinted windows.

As for security, no problem. BE SURE YOU YOU USE WPA TKIP FOR ENCRYPTION. WEP is now a joke. I have a tool that can hack a WEP 128bit encrypted network password in 5 minutes. WPA TKIP encryption has also been compromised but the tools are not readily available and it takes a bit longer. Also the big thing is make sure you change the workgroup name for your computer. The default is MSHOME or workgroup. Change it to something unique that is not related to your address or name. This way if someone does "accidentally" get into your network, they do not see your computers on your wireless network. (My Neighbors really love me:wink:)

With all this said, WIFI rocks! I love it and it adds so much convenience.
sorry for the long winded post.

BUIZILLA
02-03-2009, 07:17 AM
okay,,,,, I bought one...... we'll see how it works in a couple days... :yes:

MOP
02-03-2009, 11:28 AM
So far so good, I have all three of my computers online right now. I did a down load from MS the net frame work 300+ megs that took all of eleven minutes, on dial up that would have taken eleven hours. I net worked the two regular computers so I can do what ever with both, I am leaving the laptop as is so far I only plan on using it for travel and maybe some surfing when Bonnie is not on it. By the way the new Linksys installation software is "Mint" I remember watch a buddy go through a lot to get his older Linksys up and running, I am glad I went with the WRT160N the range is fabulous a fair bit better then my neighbors 54G.

Phil

BUIZILLA
02-09-2009, 08:44 PM
okay, installed the alfa tonight...

all I can say is HM is 1000% correct

this thing kicks ass

if there is a signal in range, your locked on... phenominal device...

BTW, b4 installing there was only one signal and that was my Belkin... did the install and I picked up 5 more in the neighborhood.... 3 of those idiots are unsecure...

Trueser
02-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Linksys 54g 4 port hard wire and Wireless.

seano
04-07-2009, 01:40 PM
My Fave is the linksys equipment. The phone support is top notch. Most of the other companies equipment really sucks. As far as i am concered there is only one company for routers; cisco/linksys. I have an older Linksys router. Its actually LINUX based and I loaded custom firmware to turn it into a repeater. pretty cool. Phil, I also have a spare linksys router you can have if you want it.

As for network cards I recommend the alfa network model AWUS036H.
Most of you have never heard of it. Its really popular with the "hacker crowd" because its power.
BUY IT. You will thank me for it. It is the strongest USB wireless adapter you can get (500mw). It requires 2 USB ports and has the capability of adding an external high gain antenna. I hook it to my laptop when I am driving around and I need access to the net. You can get the off the internet. The last one I bought was on ebay for 65 and came with a hi-gain antenna. Click here to see one. (http://cgi.ebay.com/500mW-Alfa-USB-Wireless-Adapter-8-dBi-ANTENNA-AWUS036H_W0QQitemZ120367771236QQcmdZViewItemQQptZC OMP_HN_Network_Adapters?hash=item120367771236&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50) With a standard wireless card I may see 3 networks around my house; with the alfa I see 12 networks.
This added strength means you can pull in the signal really well. WIFI signals can really be degraded by walls, floors, and tinted windows.

As for security, no problem. BE SURE YOU YOU USE WPA TKIP FOR ENCRYPTION. WEP is now a joke. I have a tool that can hack a WEP 128bit encrypted network password in 5 minutes. WPA TKIP encryption has also been compromised but the tools are not readily available and it takes a bit longer. Also the big thing is make sure you change the workgroup name for your computer. The default is MSHOME or workgroup. Change it to something unique that is not related to your address or name. This way if someone does "accidentally" get into your network, they do not see your computers on your wireless network. (My Neighbors really love me:wink:)

With all this said, WIFI rocks! I love it and it adds so much convenience.
sorry for the long winded post.

Sage advice HM...

Another thing I recommend is changing the default SSID on the wireless router and disabling the broadcast of the SSID. In the case of Linksys, the default SSID is "linksys" and most people just leave it that way...change it!

I also lock my wireless down by enabling the MAC address filter. Just collect the MAC addressess of your wireless devices and enter them in the allow list and those will be the only devices able to connect to the wireless network. In my case, it is 2 laptops, a Linksys wireless print server and several Linksys wireless cameras.

FISHIN SUCKS
04-07-2009, 03:41 PM
FWIW, I got the Linksys54G and this thing works like a champ! Located in my loft, i get great reception down in my basement. Many thanx to all, much appreciated,

tom