PDA

View Full Version : Perko pole light, circa 1982?

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Downloaded the Perko catalog online, can't find a pole light to match this base but not surprised. It is a 2 pin base and I assume the other threaded base is extra support that's built into the original pole.
It obviously looks like original equipment but what I don't understand is that it doesn't get power with the nav lights on, only in the anchor position. To be legal, I need to have a masthead light along with the aft facing, transom mounted stern light to give me a total of 360* of white light. At least that's how I've always understood the COLREGS. :bonk:
So should I bother looking for an original replacement pole or just go ahead and find a suitable, new replacement pole AND base from Perko? :confused:

joseph m. hahnl
01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
It is a 2 pin base
It obviously looks like original equipment

original replacement pole ? :confused:

A mast head light should have a three pin base and light.

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 05:36 PM
A mast head light should have a three pin base and light.

Hmm, that's what I figured too. As far as I can tell, it's not legal in this configuration.

I don't really want a light shining in my face for the very few times I'd be running after dark! Someone here ran into this same problem and decided to just get an all-round light for the stern and turn this one into a flagpole mount. Can't seem to find that thread though, anyone remember who that was?

I also don't care to cut a whole in the back of the boat, especially for something I wouldn't be using much. Maybe I'll get a clamp-on jobby for the grabrail on the transom and run the wire out to it from a vent. :yes:

sweet 16 1966
01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Its a good idea to light it up but I thought it was only required if you are stopped?

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Its a good idea to light it up but I thought it was only required if you are stopped?

Nope, if you are in a powerboat, you need to show white light in a 360 degree pattern ALWAYS. Underway and at anchor. It does not matter if the white light is an all around OR if it is a 225 degree forward 135 stern light. However you want to show the required white light is totally up to you.

If you only have the red/green and a 135 degree transom lights on while underway, like mine is setup - you are showing the lights for a sailboat operating under sail.

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Here's a visual:
http://www.boat-ed.com/images/graphics/NavLightsFig1C.gif

MOP
01-19-2009, 06:47 PM
In a single bulb unit it is not the contacts in the base, it is the switches poles that determine what phase the light is in. In a two bulb unit they have three contacts, anchor both bulbs, running just the forward bulb.

This is the light you are looking for #1209
http://gator49.hostgator.com/~zeromyst/ecatalog/product_info.php?cPath=213_51_103_108&products_id=133

gcarter
01-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Isn't there something about not having to update an older boat that doesn't meet todays regulations?
If so, then the white light would only be reqd for anchoring.

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
In a single bulb unit it is not the contacts in the base, it is the switches poles that determine what phase the light is in. In a two bulb unit they have three contacts, anchor both bulbs, running just the forward bulb.

This is the light you are looking for #1209
http://gator49.hostgator.com/~zeromyst/ecatalog/product_info.php?cPath=213_51_103_108&products_id=133

That's a good, quality looking light, thanks for that link!

I understand about the difference between the two pin and three pin. What I don't understand is that the boat came from the factory with an anchor light there instead of a combination masthead/all-round light. When you switch on the nav lights, only the stern light (which is aft facing only) and the bow red/green lights are on. Which is clearly an illegal configuration because there isn't 360* of white light illumination.

So, unless some previous owner re-wired somewhere along the line, the boat came from the factory with an improper nav light configuration?

How do others with a transom light have theirs set up? I know the local coasties here would definitely ding me for it!

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Isn't there something about not having to update an older boat that doesn't meet todays regulations?
If so, then the white light would only be reqd for anchoring.

George, I believe that's the case with my brother's 1969 16'. He does have an all-round white light on his stern, but it is flush mounted and not in the air. I believe he determined that while he'd like to have it raised, it probably is legal and period correct. But my boat is an '82 and I "believe" the law was the same then as it is now. I'm not positive on that point though!

Maybe it's a moot point since I would like to be in compliance with the latest rules.......only for safety's sake. I want that guy out there that maybe can't see too well and/or has had a few too many cocktails to see my boat when it's dark! :shocking:

PS..... LOVE the Sarah photo!

MOP
01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
You boat is just like my 86 22, it does conform to current regs but only if you run with the mast light on. Running just the bow and transom light does not conform, all vessels must display 360 of white light it can be displayed by multiple lights. The problem when running the old style pole in front of the windshield is it wrecks your night vision. Even the combo dual bulb light tends to do the same but are better, the best is figure #1 in your diagram. I have had all the various combinations, having the pole light at the transom is much better. If you want to keep it original then grab the one in the link.

Phil

Planetwarmer
01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
I have an 87 22C. The pole light in the center of the deck should only shine forward and the light on the stern above the drive should shine when the switch is on "Nav". The pole light is the only thing shining when you toggle the switch to "anchor", and both sides then shine, giving a 360 deg of light.

It is actually a cool setup, because the interior is not lit when you are under way. The pole lights the interior great when you are anchored as well.

I love the setup!

If you get the pole mounted light that shines 360 degrees, it will blind you while you are trying to drive!:pimp:

Planetwarmer
01-19-2009, 07:42 PM
The little round light above the drive is the one I was talking about.

Here is the link of a pic I posted of the stern of my boat.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42232&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1232338418

You can see a bigger pic of it if you go to the "can you ski behind a classic thread".

BigGrizzly
01-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Howard, since that light configutation is still in use for larger boat it is legal. I actually did something really stupid and asked while they were inspecting my boat. The picture Phil showed is the wrong picture but the correct part. In have the same setup on both the Corsican and Criterion.

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
You boat is just like my 86 22, it does conform to current regs but only if you run with the mast light on. Phil
Well, that's right but it doesn't come on with the nav light switch. I could never run with that light on in front of me anyway, too dang dark around here at night! Besides the fact that it's not wired to come on with the nav lights. Someone wasn't thinking when they put it there in the first place. :bonk:

Looks like I'll just re-wire and keep a plug rigged up in the engine compartment near a vent. For the few times I'll be out after dark, I'll just have a cheap clamp-on stowed away for the grabrail at the transom and plug in through the vent. Now I need to find a cool pennant to fly from the original mount! :cool:

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Howard, since that light configutation is still in use for larger boat it is legal. I actually did something really stupid and asked while they were inspecting my boat. The picture Phil showed is the wrong picture but the correct part. In have the same setup on both the Corsican and Criterion.

Just beggin' for a ticket, eh Randy? I often get too chatty with the man wearing the badge too. :yes:

Sure, I agree that having that all-round light would be legal to run along with the bow lights. But my point is that the switch is wired so the only time the all-round white light comes on is in the "anchor" position and I also believe it came from the factory like that. I just think it's an odd decision to have the mount where it is. No matter though, I can't have that thing shining up there while trying to see anyway! My eyes ain't what they used to be! :boggled:

mphatc
01-19-2009, 08:00 PM
This is what belongs in the on deck nav/anchor light socket.

http://gator49.hostgator.com/~zeromyst/ecatalog/product_info.php?cPath=213_51_103_104&products_id=122

Two bulbs divied in the middle . .functions as Planetwarmer stated and is what I suspect BigGrizzly has as well. It is on my Corsican.

Mario L.

69 Corsican
68 Magnum 27

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 08:00 PM
I have an 87 22C. The pole light in the center of the deck should only shine forward and the light on the stern above the drive should shine when the switch is on "Nav". The pole light is the only thing shining when you toggle the switch to "anchor", and both sides then shine, giving a 360 deg of light.

It is actually a cool setup, because the interior is not lit when you are under way. The pole lights the interior great when you are anchored as well.

I love the setup!

If you get the pole mounted light that shines 360 degrees, it will blind you while you are trying to drive!:pimp:

YES, EXACTLY! That's how it "should" work. But mine is a 2-pin plug and you can't do a combo light with a 2-pin plug. Yours is exactly the way my other boat was setup.

I admired your swim platforms in the waterski thread, they look nice and I think "acceptable" in teak, nice job!

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 08:14 PM
This is what belongs in the on deck nav/anchor light socket.
http://gator49.hostgator.com/~zeromyst/ecatalog/product_info.php?cPath=213_51_103_104&products_id=122
Two bulbs divied in the middle . .functions as Planetwarmer stated and is what I suspect BigGrizzly has as well. It is on my Corsican.
Mario L.
69 Corsican
68 Magnum 27

That's what I've been saying all along, only my boat came with a 2-pin base socket. I know it's original because I have a photo of an '81 and another '82 with the same base? Do you know if the socket itself can be changed out?

mphatc
01-19-2009, 09:10 PM
That's what I've been saying all along, only my boat came with a 2-pin base socket. I know it's original because I have a photo of an '81 and another '82 with the same base? Do you know if the socket itself can be changed out?

As is mine! Both pins are insulated and the base is the ground IRC . . . , it's all in the switch . . mine is a push / pull with two clicks while pulling out.

Mario L.

68 Corsican
69 Magnum 27

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 09:39 PM
As is mine! Both pins are insulated and the base is the ground IRC . . . , it's all in the switch . . mine is a push / pull with two clicks while pulling out.
Mario L.
68 Corsican
69 Magnum 27

Thanks Mario, I'm going to try testing it again.....maybe I didn't get it right with my meter today. :bonk:

Not tomorrow though, we're actually due for a few inches of snow tomorrow. Haven't seen the white stuff in years around here..... :cool:

Scott Pearson
01-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Perko light.....This is a 2 pin socket. Its brand new and looks just like the original.

Planetwarmer
01-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Since you have the stern light, you could always put some aluminum foil inside the 360 deg pole light to keep it from shining in the cockpit of the boat. I bet you could do some fancy wiring behind the switch and easily make the pole light shine with the Nav lights.

The only time that anyone will see the pole is when it is dark anyways. I would just superglue a small strip of foil on the inside of the glass towards the back. It may not even look bad if you keep the foil smooth.

HOWARD O
01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Perko light.....This is a 2 pin socket. Its brand new and looks just like the original.

Scott, I apologize in advance for that big puddle of drool I just left on your deck.......that thing is beautiful, as is the light. :yes:

BigGrizzly
01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
That middle light has two bulbs and only the front is on when using running lights. It really is not hard to wire it shouls have an anchor lite switch and a running light switch. Ot a double throe double pole switch .

DonziJon
01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
There seems to be a lot of information in this thread but very few who have posted got it ALL Right.

Someone suggested that a 360* white light IS always required. This is INCORRECT when it comes to Running Lights. The key word being Running Lights....See next below.

The 360* light alluded to as being displayed on the Stern of some small boats, is to be shown in conjunction with Red/Green Running (NAV) lights..... Either in combination with A Red/Green (combination) light AT the bow..OR in combination with A Red light on the port side and Green light on starboard side, foreword of the beam.

Anchoring: When anchored, meaning not underway, a 360* White light is required to be hung in the foreword half of the boat so as to be seen from any direction around the boat, by other boats. This is called an Anchor Light. NO other lights.. are required. NO Red/Green Nav lights shall be shown while anchored.

The reason for all this is to maintain SEPARATION between different colored lights, so another boat can tell which direction your boat is headed compared to an observer in another boat. Without this Separation, the "other" boat would have difficulty determining which direction YOU are going, in order that he may turn to avoid you.

And LAST: The light staff ahead of the cockpit, mentioned in the original post is the Correct item for a Donzi Classic. There are TWO White bulbs in the top. There is also a "Combination" Red/Green Nav light AT the bow and a 135* white Nav light built into the transom facing aft. Yea Yea..I know you noticed this already. :bonk:

There is THREE position toggle switch on the dash: The positions are as follows: Nav, Anchor, ..and OFF. When the switch is turned to NAV, The Red/Green Nav light will be ON....The foreword facing white light in the light staff will be ON, and the aft facing white light in the transom will be ON.

When you switch to the Anchor position..ONLY the TWO white lights in the top of the light staff will be ON...so as to show 360* of white light...ABOVE any other lights which may be on. Again,,Nav lights are OFF.

This is NOT complicated but it IS confusing because everyone has their own interpretation and are quite often poorly informed.

EE Gads: I'm done with the lesson. POP Quiz on Monday.:yes: John

PS: I just looked at the light staff socket on my '86 Minx. It's a 3 Pin Socket.

PPS: Yeh..pretty much like Grizz says. He just got to the point quicker.

joseph m. hahnl
01-20-2009, 06:39 PM
That's a good, quality looking light, thanks for that link!

I understand about the difference between the two pin and three pin. What I don't understand is that the boat came from the factory with an anchor light there instead of a combination masthead/all-round light. When you switch on the nav lights, only the stern light (which is aft facing only) and the bow red/green lights are on. Which is clearly an illegal configuration because there isn't 360* of white light illumination.

So, unless some previous owner re-wired somewhere along the line, the boat came from the factory with an improper nav light configuration?

How do others with a transom light have theirs set up? I know the local coasties here would definitely ding me for it!

Underway the mast head only lights the front side. The tansom and bow lights are on also. When you click the switch for anchoring the switch shuts off the bow and transom lights and turn on the rear side of the mast head, the front stays lit.

HOWARD O
01-23-2009, 01:44 PM
I love old boats! I love old boats because you can squeeze in and find things next to the fuel tank like the original light and antenna too! :)

Yes, it's a combo masthead/anchor light and yes, IT STILL WORKS! It was like Christmas this afternoon!

Thanks for all the replies........a 2-page thread for all of this? :bonk:

I don't believe it's a 2-mile or 1-mile light as the rules call for though! But I like it all yellowed out, gives it that vintage look.

Planetwarmer
01-23-2009, 05:16 PM
now what are we going to talk about?

BigGrizzly
01-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Now we are cooking, Another member actually found a porti podi

DonziJon
01-23-2009, 07:00 PM
now what are we going to talk about?

My Cat just had a checkup. :yes: John