PDA

View Full Version : Re-hub a duo prop? And Volvo alignment tool?

handfulz28
01-19-2009, 12:47 PM
I tried helping a friend of mine get his props off yesterday. Apparently they're notorious for the inner props not wanting to come off. With a little heat we thought we had one loose but turned out we melted the plastic (delrin?) hub sleeve.

I found some better prop pullers for next time but I finally convinced him to drop it at a shop today. They want to sell him a new prop. Props will start at S&S in Pompano and they send out to Frank & Jimmies for a re-hub.

Since he's thinking about pulling the drives also, what's the story on Volvo alignment tools? Not as easy to find as the Merc; any chance a Merc is usable?

handfulz28
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, the shop didn't have any luck getting the props off. A little web searching gave me the idea of using a hydraulic press and some cable through the hub to see if we can break 'em ourselves.

If that doesn't work, I guess we'll be throwing the heat....and the cutting wheel at 'em.

handfulz28
01-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Gonna try this:
http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=114653

MOP
01-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Our shop has a puller with three very stout hooks that grab the vanes, problem is always the hubs. The hubs many times stay on the shaft, what works "Pretty" good is to get a fair load on it with the puller then take a drift pin and hammer and beat on the inner sleeve. We have also used a rivet gun with similar success. Good luck, cutting the inner sleeve is a pain and is best ground through its length with a side arm grinder, when the metal turns blue it is getting thin. Go slow when it gets blue so you don't damage the shaft.

Phil

handfulz28
01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks MOP. That's why we're going to try the cable-through-the-hub method...pull it all in one shot. I've seen the hook-on-the-blade pullers, but like you've experienced it's almost more effort than they're worth if you still have to cut the hub and service the prop.