PDA

View Full Version : Boating near Dallas TX?

zimm17
01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Doing some long term planning with my wife for when I retire out of the Navy in 8.5 years. She's from Texas and wants to settle in Dallas. From google maps it looks like there are a few Donzi friendly lakes in the area.

Anyone have any insight on the area? We'd most likely be working downtown- the thought hit me that we could get a modest house in town for work/school, and a place up on a lake for a weekend getaway that we can keep the Donzi and all the toys. Not sure which lakes you can have a dock/boat house, or if you need to keep boat at a marina in a slip with a lift, then get maybe a cheaper waterview house.

Team Jefe
01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
we'll need to do some researech for you Zimm...In person of course, locations, housing, ramps, numbers of Bikini clad women:yes:

Hard work...but for you Amigo we'll get-r-done.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I lived in Dallas from 1971 to 1985. In the 70s I boated Lake Dallas (Garza Little Elm) which is by Lewisville until some friends talked me into coming up to Lake Texoma. I now live up in Denison by Lake Texoma (11th largest man made lake in the US) where I have a dry boat storage facility. Texoma is a Corp of Engineers flood control lake which is formed by the dammed Red River and it is huge with sand islands where many boaters congregate. Texoma is also fed by the Wash.ita River in Oklahoma. Anytime you want to check it out, just give me a ring. (903)786-6281. Bill

Schnook
01-19-2009, 11:37 PM
I live in Dallas, there are two main lakes close by that you would be interested in; Lewisville and Ray Hubbard. Lewisville used to be Lake Dallas, but was renamed after it was expanded. They party a little harder on Lewisville and it gets pretty crowded on weekends between Memorial and Labor days. Ray Hubbard used to be primarily a fishing lake but has had a lot of boater friendly infrastructure added in recent years -restaurants, a hotel with a pavilion where they have concerts on Thursdays in the summer and a boaters world. It's tamer and doesn't get as much attention from 'the man'. Both are fun for a quick getaway but as mentioned earlier, Texoma is huge, it's 1 1/2 to 2 hours north, and blows them both away. There are three other lakes close by, Grapevine Lake is kind of small and I don't have any experience on it, Ray Roberts and Lavon are relatively sleepy and are nice to go to if you want some peace and quiet. There are quite a few big Donzi's on Lewisville, one 45zx and some 38zx's and zr's, and I hear party cove gets pretty adult oriented after dark on weekends, but I wouldn't know - buzz kill never lets me go!:frown:

Team Jefe
01-20-2009, 05:47 PM
PK is nice, buts its a haul from Dallas. 2+ hours.....about as far as Texoma.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-20-2009, 07:46 PM
PK is nice, buts its a haul from Dallas. 2+ hours.....about as far as Texoma.

You can get to Texoma from almost anywhere in the north Dallas area in about 90 minutes or less. Bill

Schnook
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Possum Kingdom...
DOH! I forgot PK! Haven't made it there yet, but everyone says it's great.