PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Exhaust Hoses

TXDONZI
01-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Are these silicone hoses and silicone hose fittings ok to use on the exhaust system? They say they are good for 392* F, 50psi working and 200psi burst pressures. They also have some very good prices on hoses and water/air intercoolers. I looked up standard soft side hose and it is rated at 250* F.
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/
Tt

Tidbart
01-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Yes, they are fine. They look good too. Can be rather expensive.

I used Trident on mine. http://www.tridentmarine.com/stage/wetex_hose.htm

Actually, I went with the rubber one because the silicone was ridiculously expensive.

B

fogducker III
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
If it is the blue exhaust hose, it works great, I had a hot exhaust problem in the other boat and after fixing the water problem it still ran a little hot and eventually burnt through the black exhaust pipe, I installed the blue and no problems since. I believe they make a red for even higher temps..?

TXDONZI
01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I forgot to add the link check it out......

Tidbart
01-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Blue is 350*, Red is 500*.

I didn't need that high a temp range, standard 502 wet exhaust.

B

Carl C
01-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Trident won't/wouldn't sell direct but you can order it through Viking Terminal Marine in NJ 732-238-9434 Do you need 4"? A 3' length of 4" ID blue silicone hose cost me $137 Part # TRI 202V4000-36. It's good stuff. Very soft and easy to install.

TXDONZI
01-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Is the Trident hose blue on the inside and outside or is the inside a different compound than the outside?

MOP
01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
One company may be making them for both, the first ones are rated 40+ degrees higher then Trident which may have put a conservative rating on them. Price them out one is probably just as good as the other, I have Trident on mine.

Carl C
01-16-2009, 11:47 AM
The hose in your link is for intake systems. The Trident exhaust hose is different. It is specifically for wet marine exhaust systems. I would use it instead of the hose in your link.

mjw930
01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
The hose in your link is for intake systems. The Trident exhaust hose is different. It is specifically for wet marine exhaust systems. I would use it instead of the hose in your link.

Carl brings up a valid point, if the hose is not rated and certified for wet marine exhaust you open yourself up to issues of liability if it ever fails. I think a sharp insurance adjuster would look for the certification if you ever had a claim that could be traced to an exhaust issue.

TXDONZI
01-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I was looking at these simply because they have the different fittings in 45*, 90* and humped for flexing in a miss alighment situation. They look like the temp ratings are inline with the Trident brand...you know sometimes you pay for a name and rating based on testing when something else is the same spec. just it has not been rated.

Both have simular temp and press ratings and are of the ply. Whats the thinkness in inch. and mm of the Trident lower temp. blue silicone?

Proof of rating (temp/press) in such instances would not release liability?

Carl C
01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Trident has the bumpy stuff too but it was determined that it provides a place for water and debris to collect. www.tridentmarine.com (http://www.tridentmarine.com) As in my pic, the blue hose has red silicone inside. It is 3/16 inch thick. It is so soft that the straight hose will compensate for a small misalignment. It is printed on the outside that it is for marine wet exhaust and has an SAE #. I have a feeling that the red liner may have a higher rating than the blue.

gcarter
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Something to keep in mind is if all the hose doesn't stay wet, it'll burn out much more easily than the black hose.
I know this to be true.
Exhaust alignment is critical.

penbroke
01-16-2009, 02:20 PM
You should be able to find what you need at MESA (http://www.mesamarine.com/Trident.html#Trident). Very helpfull and great to deal with.

Frank :cool!: