PDA

View Full Version : Chevy marine oil changes

mphatc
01-15-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm helping a friend develop a new product to make oil chages on Chevy marine engines easier . . . I'd like some input, thoughts and ideas.

I've had 3 Chevies myself, and the first was a Magnum 350 in my 1988 Chapparal. The dipstick tube was set up with a hose connection, but I never used that . .
My 1968 Magnum with 2 Corvette 350 HP engines now has drain hoses, prior to that oil changes could not be made through the dipstick tube. I figured out why when I pulled the engines and replaced the oil pan gaskets. There's a windage tray that will not allow a suction tube to reach the oil.

So what do you guys do when you don't have a drain hose on the pan, and you can't reach the oil through the dipstick tube?

I understand that BB engine have these difficultiues as well.

Mario L.

69 Corsican
68 Magnum 27

MOP
01-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Mario the best is the OEM setups that you mentioned first, the dip stick with the hose fitting. The fitting replaces the drain plug so it sucks the oil from the very bottom of the pan, I drained some and pulled the pan only to find a rag or two's worth. Sliding the tube down like you say can hit a windage tray but does a pretty decent on most, believe it or not very few marine engines had trays that I worked on and I doubt if that has changed much if any.

Phil

BigGrizzly
01-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Mario I have a remote oil drain line, common item, it replaces the drain plug. I have an apparatus to remove the oil

gcarter
01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Mario I have a remote oil drain line, common item, it replaces the drain plug. I have an apparatus to remove the oil
I did what Griz did.
I've thought about a small line, maybe mono filament, attached to both the plug and the drain hose to make it easy to pull the hose out

zelatore
01-15-2009, 10:02 PM
I did what Griz did.
I've thought about a small line, maybe mono filament, attached to both the plug and the drain hose to make it easy to pull the hose out
George, that sounds exactly like what I've got. My bilge drain plug is attached via a small wire and swivel to a brass plug in the end of the pan drain hose. Since I hadn't seen one of these before (not used on inboards-we just plumb electric oil change pumps on those) I assumed it was a standard merc I/O thing.

CHACHI
01-16-2009, 03:39 AM
George, that sounds exactly like what I've got. My bilge drain plug is attached via a small wire and swivel to a brass plug in the end of the pan drain hose. Since I hadn't seen one of these before (not used on inboards-we just plumb electric oil change pumps on those) I assumed it was a standard merc I/O thing.
That bilge drain plug and all the other stuff including the hose is a Mercury kit. Available in both 1/2-20 (?) and metric. Very handy.

Ken

penbroke
01-16-2009, 07:45 AM
When I got my Donzi the oil pan drain hole threads were stripped. I found one of those oversize drain plugs that had a 1/8" NPT hole in it. (Thanks Phil!) I put together some 1/8" brass pipe fittings so I ended up with a 3/8" hose barb pointed towards the back of the boat with a 1/4 turn valve. I could just slide a hose over the barb through the drain hole in the boat and turn on the valve. Took a while to drain but I had no way to pull the motor at the time.
Frank

mphatc
01-16-2009, 08:33 AM
So now we've heard solutions for the small blocks some requiring the boat out of the water to do an oil service :frown: . . . Thank you,

I'd really like to hear of what folks have done with BB engines and the boats stay in the water where you can't access the drain plug, and the dipstick tube doesn't run to the pan drain.

Mario

glashole
01-16-2009, 08:59 AM
just drain the oil into the bilge every time and at the end of the year pull the drain plug

if you do frequent changes you should unhook the bilge pump

mphatc
01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
This made me LOL!

I wrote precisely that and deleted it thinking that it's not nice . . .

Mario L.

BigGrizzly
01-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Mario, the oil drain plug adapter has a 3/8 pipe thread on it O use a coupler to 3/8 fuel line and use a easily attainable from Overton's oil suction pump, I also sell them and stick the rubber hose on the punm and pump about 10 times and out cones the oil from the Corsican, or from the Criterion. I don't pull the boats to change oil. There is also an electric oil changer that I have adapted but ot requires a separate can for the oil. The suction pump is its own container with an empty spout. It holds about 6 quarts. Heck with all the stuff I have done to make life easier. I now wish I had taken pictures---Dumb me. To help people. Like the dock stand offs, similar to the wips. I had them 20 years ago. About 10 years ago, maybe more, a boat came into cove circled my dock taking pictures of my boats. Six months later they are for sale in Overton's. Better looking but the same thing.

MOP
01-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Before I went to any great lengths I would first try the tube if it has about 4" of oil on the end it will be fine. Remember the windage trays have a hole for the dip stick to pass through to get a reading, maybe a little patience and poking will save all the brain storming. I also have a drain similar to Griz's, but at times would like the hose fitting dip stick tube instead.

f_inscreenname
01-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I usually end up rebuilding the motor before it needs an oil change.:wink:

BigGrizzly
01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
F inscreen, I have told you before, COUNT all the tools before you bolt on the oil pan:wink:
Mario, With all the great stuff you have done,I can't beleive you didn't take this into account before installing the motor. BTW that oil changer I mentioned from Overton's, there are several comes with plastic tubes that Will fit inside the dipstick tube. It is easier if the engine is warm first:nilly:

DonziJon
01-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I heard somewhere that if you use Synthetic Oil you NEVER have to change the oil again. It's good for the life of the engine and truly IS a Miracle. :yes: John

mphatc
01-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Guys, Please read my first post and 1st line . . and fwiw, this is not for my engines . .:wink:! It is for generic Chevies used in all boats old and new, I am assisting a company develop a new product . . to make these oil changes SIMPLE and not expensive . . I got involved when I had my two 350s out of the Magnum 27

Both of my Chevy engines have drain hoses attached to the pan that allow me to connect easily when in the water . . . no need to haul the boat! No bilge spillage either!

My experiece with plastic tubes into the Chevy 350 stock dipstick tube, they don't reliably reach the bottom of the pan . .the tube curls as it leaves the lower end of the dipstick tube, and needs to stay straight, a metal tube that fits through the tube won't curve as needed to slide down the tube . .

We're looking to create a simple low cost solution that doesn't require an electric pump . . removal of engines, or creating a mess in the bilge . .

Mario

BigGrizzly
01-17-2009, 06:13 PM
OK the oil changer with the plastic tube is not very flexible and has a spring wire in it to keep it from bending. I think they are between $45 and $60 for it. There is always room for a new product, I just think it may not be feasible financially. I did read it and understood what you were aiming at.

DonziJon
01-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Guys, Please read my first post and 1st line . . and fwiw, this is not for my engines . .:wink:! It is for generic Chevies used in all boats old and new, I am assisting a company develop a new product . . to make these oil changes SIMPLE and not expensive . . I got involved when I had my two 350s out of the Magnum 27
Both of my Chevy engines have drain hoses attached to the pan that allow me to connect easily when in the water . . . no need to haul the boat! No bilge spillage either!
My experiece with plastic tubes into the Chevy 350 stock dipstick tube, they don't reliably reach the bottom of the pan . .the tube curls as it leaves the lower end of the dipstick tube, and needs to stay straight, a metal tube that fits through the tube won't curve as needed to slide down the tube . .
We're looking to create a simple low cost solution that doesn't require an electric pump . . removal of engines, or creating a mess in the bilge . .
Mario

OK: Now I get it. You want to remove the OIL from the engine ..which is down LOW in the boat....without using a Pump...AND... the boat is still in the water. YES? ........Can this be done? It sounds unlikley to me...... :bonk: John