PDA

View Full Version : REDNECK winterizin'

SilverBack
01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey guys ....I just got back on land yesterday and picked up my rocket ship!! I have props to test and spacers to test and home made contraptions to build and test. The weather is getting quite cold for the next couple of nights however. It is supposed to get down to 30 tonight and maybe 26-27 tomorrow night. Do you think that it will work to wrap the engine in an electric blanket. It is warming into the 60s during the day and I want to test and do not want to winterize this thing.

What do you suggest?

mikev
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
that would work or I know a few guys here in atlanta that put the old fashion drop light with 100 watt bulb in the engine compartment and leave it on all night it works for them.

zelatore
01-15-2009, 10:45 AM
that would work or I know a few guys here in atlanta that put the old fashion drop light with 100 watt bulb in the engine compartment and leave it on all night it works for them.

Yup. We used to do that to the truck back in Indiana when it got cold. Sometimes we'd throw an old blanket over the motor to help give a little insulation. It doesn't take a lot when it's only below freezing at night and not much below at that.

Marlin275
01-15-2009, 01:12 PM
I would put two 75 watt bulbs in there and close the hatch, case if one burns out.

Worked for me when I bought my X in February in St. Augustine and needed protection up here.
I had a thermometer on the engine and it stayed in the 40s when it was 20 outside.
Great solution!

joel3078
01-15-2009, 02:00 PM
type "milkhouse heater" into google and go buy one. They are 20-30 bucks, wont burn out, have tip over switch, have been around forever, and just plain work. Gives off way more heat than a light bulb. The dairy farmers in the midwest have been using them forever. Rumor has it they are popular in outhouses too. :shocking:

SilverBack
01-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks Joel!! I have a little ceramic heater like that but wasn't sure if it would be a fire hazard in a closed up engine compartment with gas and oil and all.

joel3078
01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Us frozen idiots up here (-25 below for today and tomorrow) use the small heaters to warm up car/truck engines so they will start. Usually point the heater at the block or oil pan. Now granted that is not an enclosed area like a boat. I know many people that used to put a small pan of bbq briquet charcoal that is glowing nice and red under the engines to warm them up also. That's about as redneck as we get up here.

Whadda ya think the risk is if a light bulb pops in an engine compartment? Sounds like a kaboom also. Heck your only cold for a couple days. Run the heater and a small fan to vent the bilge. Leave the sunpad open a bit to help with venting.

Put a plastic bottle of water in the bottom of the bilge tied to a string so you can lift it to inspect. If the bottle of water isn't frozen, neither is your engine. If you can't find water, any light low carb beer will be damn close.

DonziJon
01-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Milkhouse heaters draw up to 1500 watts and actually GLOW Red when they cycle ON. Wouldn't do it. Fire hazard. 100-150 watts of light bulbs is plenty.

Me Nervous? Noop. :lookaroun: John

Carl C
01-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Just put some "winter creek" water in it. You know, water from that creek that never freezes:shades:.

BTW, light bulbs have been known to burn out at the most inopportune times. If you go that route I'd put two of 'em in there.

Poor you, it might drop to 26*:rolleyes:.

SilverBack
01-15-2009, 03:05 PM
That is a great idea on the bottle of water! I think that the ceramic heater that my wife has and is willing to let go of so she can get a new one is 500 watts and it is ceramic and doesn't glow red or anything. I don't think it should be a problem. I bet the electric blanket would be enough but I just want to be sure.

SilverBack
01-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Just put some "winter creek" water in it. You know, water from that creek that never freezes:shades:.

BTW, light bulbs have been known to burn out at the most inopportune times. If you go that route I'd put two of 'em in there.

Poor you, it might drop to 26*:rolleyes:.

I know Carl...this (26) may be the low for the year!! It is very nice out today though...They say that it is going to get really cold like that and it very seldom really does. It usually misses us. I bet it will not go below 30. I just want to be safe!

BUIZILLA
01-15-2009, 04:26 PM
40's here tonight maybe, I left an extension cord in the driveway this AM so I can plug the block heater in when I get home :) :):wink: only a powerstroke needs a blanket at 40*

The Hedgehog
01-15-2009, 04:31 PM
The lightbulbs work in a pinch. I got in a tight spot and had to leave one in my X for a week or so. All is well

Marlin275
01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
The lightbulbs work in a pinch. I got in a tight spot and had to leave one in my X for a week or so. All is well

I used the light bulbs for 9 weeks, works great!
Doesn't use much electricity and at night you can tell they are working from a distance cause the light comes through the hatch edge.

Pismo
01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
2 block plugs, 2 manifold, 1 recirc hose, 2 raw water hoses, less than 5 minutes and no worries.

DonziJon
01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Trouble is...if you can see the light Through the Hull.......that's a little disconcerting...but probably not a big concern.........BUT..it will keep you awake for awhile. John

SilverBack
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
2 block plugs, 2 manifold, 1 recirc hose, 2 raw water hoses, less than 5 minutes and no worries.

Is that all that there is to it? I am going to be using the boat just about every day as it is warming up into the 60s but I have never had this much money or this much time in an engine and you know how it goes. You get an old plug horse or a mutt dog and they will never get hurt and stay in great shape but go out and get a nice horse that has a great bloodline and great training or a dog with a great bloodline and they will get messed up every time!! Plus you guys know my luck!!

So you just pull those hoses and plugs and stick everything back together in the morning when you go boating and everything will be cool.

fogducker III
01-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Is that all that there is to it? I am going to be using the boat just about every day as it is warming up into the 60s but I have never had this much money or this much time in an engine and you know how it goes. You get an old plug horse or a mutt dog and they will never get hurt and stay in great shape but go out and get a nice horse that has a great bloodline and great training or a dog with a great bloodline and they will get messed up every time!! Plus you guys know my luck!!

So you just pull those hoses and plugs and stick everything back together in the morning when you go boating and everything will be cool.

For the "short term" personally I would not recommend pulling hoses and plugs and draining water if you are using it at least once a week.

Long term winter storage I agree........

All winter here I had the big boat outside, under cover, but still in the cold, drained the system and hung a light bulb in the bilge, not one problem.

Donziweasel
01-15-2009, 07:09 PM
It takes a whole 2 minutes to pull the 4 plugs out of the engine. Takes two minutes to put them back in. If you trip a fuse or blow a bulb in the middle of the night..........

Quit being lazy and pull your plugs........:bonk:

BigGrizzly
01-15-2009, 07:38 PM
I have a golden rod and a Bilge heater from overton's

Planetwarmer
01-16-2009, 12:02 AM
I got a drop light from Walmart and put a heat lamp bulb in it. Then I took some old rags and plugged the vent holes in the deck. It worked like a charm last year for me. However, I winterized it this year because my friend did the same thing last year to his 32 sunsation with 2 454s and now has to replace BOTH engines! The engine compartment is smaller in a 22C than a twin engine boat though.

Needless to say, my friend cost himself thousands of dollars and missed the entire boating season last year due to lazyness.

DC18
01-16-2009, 12:29 AM
I have a golden rod and a Bilge heater from overton's
Get the golden rod and heater, they work and are ment for boat use. You can monitor the temp with one of those wireless thermometers. Just place it in the bilge or set it on the side. I might also drain the water since it's so easy. BTW, what about the water still left in the lower unit!!? Maybe the heating blanket would work there...on low? Temp here today with wind chill :shocking: minus 35 degrees. If that doesn't put frost or ice on body parts,
don't know what will. Good luck.

VetteLT193
01-16-2009, 06:55 AM
I do the light bulb trick as well. It helps to plug the vent holes with rags if you can to help kill any air flow.

Supposed to be 17 degrees here in Tallahassee tonight. I'll probably stick another one in there for this evening :bonk:

BigGrizzly
01-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Keith, Since you are going to use it everyday and the temps are not going to drop below 25 deg. It will take more then one night to freeze the engine. Especially if it warms up during the day. I had a water jug on the porch and it only got a little frost on the out side of the gallon jug. It is going to take several days of below 32 degrees to cause an issue, so a 100 watt light bulb is more then sufficient where you are. and you are farther south then me and warmer..

zelatore
01-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Keith, Since you are going to use it everyday and the temps are not going to drop below 25 deg. It will take more then one night to freeze the engine. Especially if it warms up during the day. I had a water jug on the porch and it only got a little frost on the out side of the gallon jug. It is going to take several days of below 32 degrees to cause an issue, so a 100 watt light bulb is more then sufficient where you are. and you are farther south then me and warmer..

What ......... He .......... Said

MOP
01-16-2009, 10:13 AM
In a pinch a light bulb works fine, but it is very important to put it down as low as possible as heat rises. I have laid a drop light under the engine with a small tarp over it, any type cover just to hold the heat in where it needs to be.

BigGrizzly
01-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Just to clear up Phil's post he did not mean cover the light bit the boat and ore engine. I actually knew a guy in Jersey that bough an electric blanket and covered his engine. Funny is it worked. I got an electric throw for my TV room and it is rated 150 watts.-$29 before Christmas.