PDA

View Full Version : Anything Wrong With This...?

fogducker III
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Just wondering if anybody sees anything wrong with this for the short term?:frown:

When I installed the Imco shortie I neglected to install, or even notice, that I needed the small plate that covers the area left open when the original Bravo leg was removed...........obviously it would catch a lot of water when under way........

Well because Tex has dragged his ass sending me my free part, seriously kidding Tex, smoked salmon is on the way........ I decided to temporarily cover the 'hole' with a peice of 1/4" lexan. I am trying to get out when the weather clears on Friday or Saturday and figure this will do until the proper part is installed.

Can anybody think of a reason I should not run it like this? Thanks, just worried there might be enough pressure to shatter the lexan and send peices into somewhere it shouldn't go....:confused:

zimm17
01-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Looks like it'll work to me. I think mine is a countersunk bolt so it doesn't stick down, but can't remember 100%

fogducker III
01-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Your right, the bolt should be counter sunk, but I figure for the short term it would be alright? plus I didn't want to fatique the lexan any more..........:confused: The original, correct plate is counter sunk.........

roadtrip se
01-14-2009, 07:42 PM
I just looked at some pics of mine. When I blew the upper, that piece must have got lost in the shuffle. Sorry man.

Call Rick at IMCO and get him to send the right piece to you. They are pretty quick to respond. That plastic won't last long.

Last Real Texan
01-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Just wondering if anybody sees anything wrong with this for the short term?:frown:

When I installed the Imco shortie I neglected to install, or even notice, that I needed the small plate that covers the area left open when the original Bravo leg was removed...........obviously it would catch a lot of water when under way........

Well because Tex has dragged his ass sending me my free part, seriously kidding Tex, smoked salmon is on the way........ I decided to temporarily cover the 'hole' with a peice of 1/4" lexan. I am trying to get out when the weather clears on Friday or Saturday and figure this will do until the proper part is installed.

Can anybody think of a reason I should not run it like this? Thanks, just worried there might be enough pressure to shatter the lexan and send peices into somewhere it shouldn't go....:confused:

I am such a slacker....:drunk:
It left by Postal service on monday....
what you have done looks like it will work for the short term, dont see it being a problem other than the big bolt sticking out...does your prop clear with at least 3/16 inch?

Tex

fogducker III
01-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I am such a slacker....:drunk:
It left by Postal service on monday....
what you have done looks like it will work for the short term, dont see it being a problem other than the big bolt sticking out...does your prop clear with at least 3/16 inch?

Tex

Yup, prop clearance is no problem, just want to get out on the water and try this Bravo I 24p prop and see where I need to go, thanks Tex.

PS. Try the smoked salmon with Philly creamed cheese........:wink:

DonziJon
01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
First off, I know NOTHING about Shorties. But this Lexan thing IMHO is an accident waiting to happen. Major SHRAPNEL Event when it lets go. I would NOT run the boat with that plastic in place. Lexan will shatter. Why not just a piece of aluminum? :confused: John

fogducker III
01-15-2009, 10:26 AM
First off, I know NOTHING about Shorties. But this Lexan thing IMHO is an accident waiting to happen. Major SHRAPNEL Event when it lets go. I would NOT run the boat with that plastic in place. Lexan will shatter. Why not just a piece of aluminum? :confused: John

I agree Lexan will shatter under high impact, but I think where this piece sits, it would be impossible for something to hit it, I was more concerned about "pressure" developed in that area?

Lexan is tougher "plastic" than most people think.......I appreciate your concerns though.......... the reason I used Lexan is because I had it handy and it is very easy to work with as far as cutting and drilling, the correct replacement piece is on route so I anticipate only having to use the temporary fix for one or two trips out............:crossfing:

DonziJon
01-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I agree Lexan will shatter under high impact, but I think where this piece sits, it would be impossible for something to hit it, I was more concerned about "pressure" developed in that area?

Lexan is tougher "plastic" than most people think.......I appreciate your concerns though.......... the reason I used Lexan is because I had it handy and it is very easy to work with as far as cutting and drilling, the correct replacement piece is on route so I anticipate only having to use the temporary fix for one or two trips out............:crossfing:

I Agree. Pressure from the prop spinning is what I would be concerned about. I can't tell from the pictures how thick the Lexan is. If it were 3/8" or 1/2" thick I would be somewhat less concerned, but if it were 1/4" thick or less, it would concern me more. BTW, countersunk bolt holes would INVITE a fracture from that point..... flat shoulder bolt head and washer less critical. John

Boatless
01-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Looks good. It is short enough that it is rigid also so there should not be a problem especially being lexan.

I've seen the Cats put a huge aluminum plate on the drive so that they would get on plane. Once up this part is out of the water.

IMCO uses aluminum as they have a huge business making aluminum tanks and such so shearing and breaking a piece of aluminum is really easy for them.

Its as you stated, “short term” so run with it. You will never know if you do not try.

Last Real Texan
01-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Isn't the Imco piece stainless??
nope, aluminum...

Tex

BigGrizzly
01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
WOW, Lets get together and re invent the wheel. Everything above will work. Shortys I DO know about. The plate is alumina, nothing special. There were two plates maybe three. One wasn't counter sunk and had a bolt in it, the next was counter sunk with a bolt, the 3 inch hit a 15.5 diameter prop. Next was an allen bolt.

fogducker III
01-16-2009, 11:07 AM
WOW, Lets get together and re invent the wheel. Everything above will work. Shortys I DO know about. The plate is alumina, nothing special. There were two plates maybe three. One wasn't counter sunk and had a bolt in it, the next was counter sunk with a bolt, the 3 inch hit a 15.5 diameter prop. Next was an allen bolt.

Sorry to waste your time having to read this BG, all I was doing was a short term fix until the correct, aluminium, countersunk piece, with the original hex bolt arrives from Tex who was gracious enough to send it to me. Not trying to re-invent anything.

The point of my post was to see if there was anything I missed with the temp install and/or material.............it was a concern over possible damage and safety.

Ghost
01-16-2009, 11:23 AM
It looks stout enough to me but, I can't speak to the properties of Lexan and the loading there to know if it is tough enough.

Others here will know better, but wouldn't a good fitting washer, putting a circular outer edge in place of the hex-head of the bolt itself) tend to decrease the chances of failure, if there is any up/down flex/forcing going on. When I try to imagine what *could* go wrong, it starts with the plate being stressed up and down, and a crack from the point of that bolt right at 6 o'clock.

Just a thought.

BigGrizzly
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I totally understand that all you wanted was to try it out until you got the correct part. It was not you or anyone else, I just saw the topic going off center. Truth is for a trial ifr the piece was not there nothing except a big roostertail and some cavitation would happen.

fogducker III
01-16-2009, 12:22 PM
I totally understand that all you wanted was to try it out until you got the correct part. It was not you or anyone else, I just saw the topic going off center. Truth is for a trial ifr the piece was not there nothing except a big roostertail and some cavitation would happen.

I hear ya, your right, without the plate there the spray off the leg was larger than the old leg, but I didn't think much of it until I looked up underneath and realized the hole that was left when the Bravo leg was replaced with the shortie.........while I am trying different props it would have given me false results with the plate left off.......its all good...:)