PDA

View Full Version : No Donzi Ad in Powerboat Magazine

Barry Eller
01-13-2009, 07:23 AM
My February 2009 issue of Powerboat Magazine came yesterday. It is very "thin". I noticed that Donzi didn't have any ads and went to the advertisers index and noticed that many manufacturers were missing.

Tough times...

boxy
01-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Barry does the paper also seem different ????
Less glossy, not as thick?

Barry Eller
01-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Barry does the paper also seem different ????
Less glossy, not as thick?

I didn't notice any difference in the paper...:toiletpap Just not as much of it!

Donziweasel
01-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Boy, that is a small list of advertisers compared to how many manufactures of performance boats there are. Not only that, the aftermarket stuff is small as well.

smbarcelow
01-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Maybe manufacturers have tightened up the January ad budget in order to help fund the February boat-show-season marketing budget. (I'm trying to be optimistic.)

LKSD
01-14-2009, 12:28 AM
My February 2009 issue of Powerboat Magazine came yesterday. It is very "thin". I noticed that Donzi didn't have any ads and went to the advertisers index and noticed that many manufacturers were missing.
Tough times...

Funny you should say that Barry.. I asked my wife if she noticed that too just yesterday.. Possibly its also on the thin side as well because there is not too much new lately.. Jamie

BlownCrewCab
01-14-2009, 06:20 AM
(Gerald) Jerry Nordskog (Bob Nordskogs son) Will be staying at my house feb 3rd/4th, he was the publisher until recently when they sold it to who-ever, I don't even get it(powerboat magazine)any more. My wife worked for them for 10+years. I'll ask Jerry whats up. I Know he still checks in on the biz that his father started. I know he used to go out of the way to do good paper and printing, the big company that bought it may be trying to save a buck.and I'm sure advertising isn't bringing in what it used to.

Barry Eller
01-14-2009, 07:06 AM
(Gerald) Jerry Nordskog (Bob Nordskogs son) Will be staying at my house feb 3rd/4th, he was the publisher until recently when they sold it to who-ever, I don't even get it(powerboat magazine)any more. My wife worked for them for 10+years. I'll ask Jerry whats up. I Know he still checks in on the biz that his father started. I know he used to go out of the way to do good paper and printing, the big company that bought it may be trying to save a buck.and I'm sure advertising isn't bringing in what it used to.

My Powerboat Magazine subscription expires in June, I don't think I will renew. The boats they feature now are so out of reach and not applicable to my boating interests.

What is a good magazine for our style of boating? I need magazines for the library...:toiletpap:toilet:

Carl C
01-14-2009, 07:33 AM
My Powerboat Magazine subscription expires in June, I don't think I will renew. The boats they feature now are so out of reach and not applicable to my boating interests.

What is a good magazine for our style of boating? I need magazines for the library...:toiletpap:toilet: I get Powerboat, Hot Boat, Boating, Trailer Boats and BoatUS. I recommend "Boating" magazine for something a little different. I'll be dropping Trailer Boats as it is a little too basic; More for beginner boaters. Hot Boat tries to cover smaller performance boats but the mag has gone down hill since they were sold. I also get a little tired of reading about boats that I can never afford to buy, insure, or run.

Barry Eller
01-14-2009, 07:46 AM
I get Powerboat, Hot Boat, Boating, Trailer Boats and BoatUS. I recommend "Boating" magazine for something a little different. I'll be dropping Trailer Boats as it is a little too basic; More for beginner boaters. Hot Boat tries to cover smaller performance boats but the mag has gone down hill since they were sold. I also get a little tired of reading about boats that I can never afford to buy, insure, or run.

Yeah, I get BoatUS, comes with my towing insurance package, which by the way, is great!!! Trailer Boats, I get for free somehow...? I'll look into Hot Boats.

Barry Eller
01-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Trailer boats for good info, Full Throttle H2o for great race coverage and knock your socks off photography..

DonzidotNet for anything else :) :)

I guess a lap-top will be in order, I can't take my PC into the "Library"...:toiletpap:toilet::boggled:

I'm not familiar with Full Throttle H2O.

CHACHI
01-14-2009, 10:50 AM
My February 2009 issue of Powerboat Magazine came yesterday. It is very "thin".

Barry, I am using mine to gap spark plugs.

Ken

MOP
01-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Being an X boat advertiser what some do not know some publications require that you anti up the first part of the year. A close buddy did Yachting one year it at the time cost $10,000 up front, I think many are not willing to gamble on this economy. I closed my brokerage this past December after losing money all year.

Phil

Barry Eller
01-14-2009, 01:44 PM
I closed my brokerage this past December after losing money all year.

Phil

I resigned my position with the Auto Dealership I worked at for 20 years December 1st. I'm a kept man now! Keep using AT&T products, as they are paying the bills now!!! So far, I haven't had to touch savings and I'll look for some other product to purvey in the Spring. I'm a good salesperson and there are other products to sell. The car business is not fun right now.

I'm just glad I have kept my life simple and can afford to take some time off and decide what I want to do when I grow up!

The owners of the Dealership asked me why I was leaving, I told them because I can. They can't, because they own the business and have the responsibilities to their employees. They told me they were envious of me, and I could always come back. I don't want to sell cars anymore.:convertib::party::beer::yippie:

zelatore
01-14-2009, 02:38 PM
I resigned my position with the Auto Dealership I worked at for 20 years December 1st. I'm a kept man now!

Some men worry about having a wife that makes good money. Myself, I learned long ago that IT'S A VERY GOOD THING.

(I won't mention what I think of my new AT&T cell coverage :mad:)

Barry Eller
01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Some men worry about having a wife that makes good money. Myself, I learned long ago that IT'S A VERY GOOD THING.
You got that right. She is the one that pressed me into quiting, my blood pressure was going up, 50 hours a week staring at other car people, not making the money to justify the stress and hours.

Don't get me wrong, the car business has been VERY good to me over the years, I need a change. The downturn gave me justification to quit and think about something else. I never would have done this if business had not dropped to the point it has, you know, you make good money, you can't walk away.

As for your ATT&T coverage, I think it must be a "left coast" issue!!!:nilly::nilly::cistineb:Reach out and touch someone!!!

Ghost
01-14-2009, 03:44 PM

You too?

And frankly, the AT&T plan my wife can get for me isn't all that hot.

How is she set up for strike assignments?

Barry Eller
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
You too?

And frankly, the AT&T plan my wife can get for me isn't all that hot.

How is she set up for strike assignments?

Ghost, does your wife work with AT&T? If AT&T strikes, we will be ok as long as it doesn't last over a year. Then I might have to sell the Donzi or get a Job!!!:pimp:

We don't have any problems with our cell phones, DSL Internet, or land line phones. Could be regional issues.

Ghost
01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Ghost, does your wife work with AT&T? If AT&T strikes, we will be ok as long as it doesn't last over a year. Then I might have to sell the Donzi or get a Job!!!:pimp:

We don't have any problems with our cell phones, DSL Internet, or land line phones. Could be regional issues.

For Crissakes I hope you don't have to get a job! :)

Yes--it was pretty interesting when they got the word about all the jobs they might have to hop on a plane and go work in the event of a strike. I guess that's pretty standard every so often, but her company was bought by AT&T not that long ago, so in addition to the regular corporate assimilation that takes place over time, the strike coverage was heaped on too.

Likewise, service here in in the NE corridor used to lag woefully behind Verizon, but I think AT&T has pretty well caught up in this part of the world.

Regards,

Mike

Carl C
01-14-2009, 03:59 PM
It takes a lot of balls to walk away from a carreer. I did it when I was 39 years old and never looked back. I've worked for myself since and now I only work 3 days a week and make more $ than ever.

When I take friends north to the cabin only the verizon phones still work:wink:.

Got the new Boating mag today. Faja has a 6 page ad.:confused: