PDA

View Full Version : Mounting/Storing Spare Prop?

fogducker III
01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
What are your suggestions on location and method of storing and securing a spare prop in an 18C...?

I thought the area under the back bench would be best? Just not sure how to secure it...? I don't like the idea of the spare in the engine bay just in case it comes loose and starts bouncing off the engine.........:shocking:

zelatore
01-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Don't most just mount a short vertical shaft and drop the prop down over it? Wouldn't need to be splined or even threaded for a nut, it's not like the prop would jump off the shaft short of turning the boat upside down.

MOP
01-10-2009, 03:43 PM
If you get air it can come off a shaft, notice how light your butt gets when you do a jump. A threaded rod well secured to the hull and a wing nut and large washer made of 1/4" ply wood, you would be surprised how much a 20lbs S/S prop will move around if not nailed down.

VetteLT193
01-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I never carried one in a small boat, in the big ones they were usually out of the way and well secured.

If it is really an emergency only prop, I'd stick it up in the bow to the passenger side of the storage bin. it would be hidden (won't get stolen) well out of the way, but if the crap hits the fan you will have it.

boxy
01-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Jeremy, I'll try to find the parts on Canadian Tire or Home Depot later on, but what I used was a large carrige bolt, and a plumbing flange. The flange bolted to the floor, and then you just tightened the carriage bolt down on the prop.

fogducker III
01-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Great replies....... problem with up under the bow idea is that I have floatation "blocks" on either side and the "storage" area is just the molded "tray", nowhere to fasten anything...:confused:

I was thinking on the raised "step" on the passenger side under the rear bench seat, Boxy's idea of a fastened base and then a threaded "bolt" would work, I have the hub kit to contend with so the "bare" prop has a large hole......I was thinking of something in a tough plastic or nylon? Fastened to the step deck and then threaded through the hub..?

Lenny
01-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Jeremy, Jeremy :rolleyes: "Mounting it should be obvious" There is an 1 1/4" hole on one end. :D

...anyways... put a through bolt through either that back of the battery box into the engine area or one at 90 degrees to the stringers in the motor compartment. With a plastic slide in for support of the prop. It could also hold the wrench.

I'll tell you this folks. Next time I boat anywheres' near him I know I can basically rebuild an 18 on the water :yes: Good to know :)

Thanx ;)

Ed Donnelly
01-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Monster Marine stock prop holders CHEAP only $100.00:shocking:..............Ed

fogducker III
01-10-2009, 06:58 PM
I guess I do get a little anal about things at times but I have been out on the water around here when things have gone bad and it is not a nice feeling......:wrench:

There are no big fancy marinas to speak of with boat suppy shops and dockside mechanics so when things are needed you basically have to do it yourself. If you get into big trouble where you break down in bad weather you are on your own at least for a few hours until rescue agencies can get to you, and BTW our rescue services up here are excellent when called upon, it is just they are spread too thin.......:frown:

So I guess what I am saying is, mounting a spare prop safely might seem a little petty, but when I lose or bend a blade I will at least know I will be home to cook the kids dinner...........:popcorn:

Now where to mount the DVD player so the passengers don't get bored.........:confused::wink:

boxy
01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Here's the flange I used. You just need to find a bolt that fits between it and the floor. A piece of pvc tube should protect the hubless prop from the threads, then just tighten the nut down. I found a bolt and nut that were the same size as the prop nut, then I was able to use the prop wrench to remove the extra prop. One less wrench.

fogducker III
01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Hell of an idea Boxy, that is what I think I will do.......the prop nut wrench idea is also well thought out, thanks.

Air 22
01-10-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.mercuryracing.com/accessories/propelleraccessories.php
and.....
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-Mercury-OMC-Outboard-Prop-Propeller-Bag-Cover_W0QQitemZ400023186453QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat _Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item400023186453&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318
:kingme:

fogducker III
01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
What part of, "Spent ALL my allowance" don't you guys get...?:confused::eek::yes::wink:

I was trying to figure out a "cheap" method...........

fogducker III
01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
We're not done spending your allowance..

Your a funny man...........:jester:

Lenny
01-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I have a couple of these Jeremy. New.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41995&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231639024

DonziJon
01-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Interesting discussion. I'm just trying to picture...Changing a prop out in the middle of the lake. :bonk: Whatever you do to damage the prop, I would think you can always Putt Putt back to the dock. If you do greater damage than just bend the prop, a replacement prop probably won't be of any imediate use.

So in closing, I would just leave the spare prop in the truck..back at the dock. :yes: John

Just Say N20
01-11-2009, 12:27 PM
What if you just lose a hub?

Exactly! I have lost a hub (from mostly age, I would guess), and while I was able to move forward at idle speed, the 15+ mile trip back to my trailer made this very impractical. Replacement prop on, and away I went.

BUT, changing a prop on a outdrive in deep water is a very tense experience! Too much opportunity to drop stuff. I would also have a spare lock washer and prop nut as part of the package, and have your wrench(es) tethered. They don't float so good :bonk:.

fogducker III
01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Already been there and done that........spun a hub between Sidney and Pender Island, in the salt water, idled into a beach and changed props and away we went. I was lucky the fixed hub prop on that boat let us idle in..... the water is cold but if I had to I would have gone over the side and changed the prop from the water.

In my bag of goodies I take on the boat I have the plastic yellow prop nut wrench, compliments of Air 22's West Marine gift certificate :wink: , and I have fastened a peice of hi-dense foam onto it and made sure it floats.:cool:

I also have an extra prop hub kit in the bag, with the Imco leg and the 1 1/4" shaft the props are not fixed hubs with rubber dampener......

I also carry a spare set of prop washers and nuts.

I disagree with NOT carrying a spare prop because if you don't, that is the one time you, or another boat travelling with you needs one......:yes:

zelatore
01-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Already been there and done that........spun a hub between Sidney and Pender Island, in the salt water, idled into a beach and changed props and away we went.

Yikes - that could have been a bad place to lose drive in a 18' boat. Drift into Boundary Pass and it could get ugly fast.

DonziJon
01-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Already been there and done that........spun a hub between Sidney and Pender Island, in the salt water, idled into a beach and changed props and away we went. I was lucky the fixed hub prop on that boat let us idle in..... the water is cold but if I had to I would have gone over the side and changed the prop from the water.

In my bag of goodies I take on the boat I have the plastic yellow prop nut wrench, compliments of Air 22's West Marine gift certificate :wink: , and I have fastened a peice of hi-dense foam onto it and made sure it floats.:cool:

I also have an extra prop hub kit in the bag, with the Imco leg and the 1 1/4" shaft the props are not fixed hubs with rubber dampener......

I also carry a spare set of prop washers and nuts.

I disagree with NOT carrying a spare prop because if you don't, that is the one time you, or another boat travelling with you needs one......:yes:

Don't you have Killer Whales out where you go boating? Yea yea I know..we're supposed to call them Orcas. :lookaroun: They Bite don't they? John

Lenny
01-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Don't you have Killer Whales out where you go boating? Yea yea I know..we're supposed to call them Orcas. :lookaroun: They Bite don't they? John

Yes, but they love us and want to play :yes: They would probably just give Jeremy a ride on one of their backs to shore :D

fogducker III
01-11-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't believe, correct me if I am wrong, I have ever heard of an Orca harming a human being?? At least not a wild whale, I think I read somewhere about a trainer at Seaworld or some place similar getting hurt when the whale did a jump and landed on them...:shocking:

I have been around these whales all my life and not only are they incredibale to watch, they are smart, calm and for their size, graceful.......it is a shame at times watching the herds of "whale watching" boats crowding around them....:frown:

BigGrizzly
01-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Heck, I carry a spare prop or two in all my boats as well as toe vehicle:wink:. and I haven't yet mounted one. One catch, In my compartments there isn't any room to move, after lake George there is even less room, caring more spares:shocking::shocking::shocking:

DonziJon
01-11-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't believe, correct me if I am wrong, I have ever heard of an Orca harming a human being?? At least not a wild whale, I think I read somewhere about a trainer at Seaworld or some place similar getting hurt when the whale did a jump and landed on them...:shocking:

I have been around these whales all my life and not only are they incredibale to watch, they are smart, calm and for their size, graceful.......it is a shame at times watching the herds of "whale watching" boats crowding around them....:frown:

We have A "Seal Watching" boat that frequents Narragansett Bay, RI. (For Pay) in the Fall and Winter. The boat is owned by "Save The Bay", a Sierra Club type organization that CARES about the wildlife. If they care..why don't they leave the animals alone.

Ever NOTICE: The "I Love The Animals" crowd do not hesitate to "Notch an Ear"...DRILL a hole in a dorsal fin to attach a GPS......ALL in the name of "Saving The Animals". Talk about Torture.. :yes: John

fogducker III
01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
So I got some bits and pieces together in the process of putting a mounting system together for the prop.........on a side note, I was looking at the prop nut wrench and thought the floatation I had put on it might come off under abnormal conditions.

So I cut a chunk of my kid's foam swimming "noodle" and slipped it over the handle, melted it over the shop propane heater and wearing a work gloove, squeezed a grip into it...still floats and does the job..........:popcorn:

BTW. Lenny, this is not a prototype hookah pipe===

Ed Donnelly
01-11-2009, 10:32 PM
You know those noodles break down like crazy after a year or two..
Poor kids, Daddy stealing from THEM:shades:...Ed

fogducker III
01-11-2009, 10:38 PM
You know those noodles break down like crazy after a year or two..
Poor kids, Daddy stealing from THEM:shades:...Ed

The kids break down after a year or two as well........:wink:

BigGrizzly
01-12-2009, 10:09 AM
WOW, from storing a prop to Orcas, Sierra club, to stealing your kids noodles. Good thing you didn't ask about oil oops sombody did:popcorn:

Lenny
01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I hate those plastic prop wrenches. Doesn't take much to strip one... (the wrench)

zelatore
01-12-2009, 10:21 AM
BTW. Lenny, this is not a prototype hookah pipe===

Yeah, sure it isn't. What part of 'paraphernalia' don't you understand?

boxy
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
WOW, from storing a prop to Orcas, Sierra club, to stealing your kids noodles. Good thing you didn't ask about oil oops sombody did:popcorn:
All we need now is for Jefe o post something, and BOOM, it'll get moved to the derailed thread ......