PDA

View Full Version : Go Gators

Carl C
01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
:anchor:I could win a little $. Go Red Wings too.

Carl C
01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Took ya all day to come up with that?? You'd have been better off tossing your money out the winder...Hmmmm. Who is up 7-0???

Wings up 4-0

Carl C
01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
:toiletpap:toiletpap 7-7

Donzi Vol
01-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm reluctantly pulling for the SEC here. As a Vol, it goes against everything I believe in to pull for FL, but I want to see the SEC win another. So...I swallow my pride...:lookaroun:

Tony
01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
6-1 Wings. Datsyuk makes moves that are insane!

Crazy only two Wings are on the all-star team, but with the game in Montreal and it being their 100th anniversary...I understand the fans enthusiasm to vote their players in.

:beer:

Donzi Vol
01-08-2009, 10:08 PM
This game (college nat'l champ) is getting good. Tied with 12 min to go. These two teams are just really great. All there is to it.

RedDog
01-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Damn I hope Tebow goes pro next season. As much as I hate the Gators I can't help but pull for him - he is awesome!

Congratulations Gators.

Carl C
01-08-2009, 10:54 PM
:anchor: cha-ching $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Good Night

Cuda
01-09-2009, 02:00 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football

Scoreboard!
Nuff said. :)

chappy
01-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Tebow is a linebacker taking snaps. Damn fine football player. Congrats Gators.

Carl C
01-09-2009, 09:51 AM
BORING game..

Where were the vaunted high scoring offenses they were bragging about?

Where were the vaunted special teams that were going to decimate the opposition?

Tebow essentially carries a mediocre team along with him. Unfortunatley, he is not NFL caliber IMO. Running QB's do not do well in the NFL, if he can't learn to stay in yhe box he is going to get creamed in the NFL..

All that said, congrats to the Gators, even without a perfect season you won the BCS again..

And, I hope Tebow goes pro :) :) Agreed that the game wasn't as exciting as most college games but on a side note, this game was close to pro caliber.

BUIZILLA
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
my wife was VERY impressed with the John 3:16 expressions...

takes some determination, balls, and solid faith to do that..

Ghost
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
my wife was VERY impressed with the John 3:16 expressions...

takes some determination, balls, and solid faith to do that..

The what? I missed virtually the whole game trying to sleep off my flu.

(But I will say that I've always wanted to get a rainbow wig and hold up a "Genesis 3:16" sign. Almost nobody will get the joke (I sure wouldn't if a crazed college buddy hadn't shown me that passage) but some things just need to be done, even if warped. And my buddies have seats dead center behind the uprights, right in the middle of half the Ravens kicks.)

boxy
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
All right who's got pics of Tebow's girlfriend ????

Poodle you are bang on about the announcer's. Late in the game he takes an unsportsmanlike penalty for a gator chomp at somebody, and fawning announcer #1 says "that was wrong, but I'm sure it's the first wrong thing he has done in his life...."

VetteLT193
01-09-2009, 11:12 AM
BORING game..
Where were the vaunted special teams that were going to decimate the opposition?
Tebow essentially carries a mediocre team along with him. Unfortunatley, he is not NFL caliber IMO. Running QB's do not do well in the NFL, if he can't learn to stay in yhe box he is going to get creamed in the NFL..
All that said, congrats to the Gators, even without a perfect season you won the BCS again..
And, I hope Tebow goes pro :) :)

I hope Miami picks up Percy Harvin... Tebow throws a bunch of really bad duck ball passes. He will get his azz handed to him in the NFL, unless he switches to another position like Tight End. He'd be a great wildcat option QB for a team willing to go that route if he switched spots.

boxy
01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Never mind, just found them ......

RedDog
01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Never mind, just found them ......

Damn - that beats having twin Heisman's

zelatore
01-09-2009, 12:01 PM
w o w :eek:

CJmike
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Congrats to the Florida Gators. The second best team in the nation. To bad they didn't play the best team in the nation the Texas Longhorns.

45-35 When Texas beat em.

But thats just my opinion. :kingme:

But The BCS says Florida is number 1. :^(

BCS ratings sucks. Need a playoff system. Then I wouldn't have to speculate on what might have been.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/stories/2009/01/09/best_worst_college_football.html

Barry Eller
01-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, my wife is a Tennessee alum, her mother still lives in Knoxville. She for the most part has a, well lets say, she doesn't like the Gators very much. But she was pulling for them last night and I even saw a "small" Gator Chop out of the corner of my eye. Go SEC!!!

CJmike
01-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Texas? You think beating Ohio State by a crappy three points gets you the title? Puhleeeeaaassee, hell if anyone has a right to be annoyed it would be the 13-0 folks in Utah.. :yes::yes:

Ohio State gave Texas more of a run for the money than OU did.

But thats my point exactly if there was a playoff system you wouldn't be able to talk smack about it. Either your team made it to the big dance or they didn't. If they won they won. Not alot of opinion in that system.

Donzi Vol
01-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I cannot believe I'm about to sing praises to the Gators, but I have to say that they are the best team in the nation right now IMO. I believe that will change next year as many teams in the SEC are getting better (and we all know that the SEC is the toughest conference :wink:). Granted, the game last night was not high scoring, but both defenses were amazing, AND that was the big talk before the game...not what the offenses would do. Put together a hard hit the first drive of the game, some amazing catches, several interceptions, a stop at the goal line, a jump pass for a touchdown, and much more and I believe you have a pretty exciting game. And notice that not all of those were on the Gators' side of the picture. If they had dominated (or vice-versa) it wouldn't have been a good game. I hate to see a championship game in any sport that is a blowout. No reason to stay up until midnight!

As far as Tebow, I hate that he's good at football and attends the University of Florida, but he's a heck of a guy...all there is to it. And yes Buiz, it would take some major stones and faith to go on national TV proclaiming your Christianity.

Cuda
01-09-2009, 06:33 PM
BORING game..
And, I hope Tebow goes pro :) :)
So they say about Tebow. Bradford is supposed to be the number one pro prospect. The Heisman is supposed to go to the best COLLEGE player, not pro prospect, but a gm would have to be an idiot not to want Tebow on his team.

Btw, I missed where the Canes score was located on the national championship scoreboard. :)

Cuda
01-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Congrats to the Florida Gators. The second best team in the nation. To bad they didn't play the best team in the nation the Texas Longhorns.

45-35 When Texas beat em.

But thats just my opinion. :kingme:

But The BCS says Florida is number 1. :^(

BCS ratings sucks. Need a playoff system. Then I wouldn't have to speculate on what might have been.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/stories/2009/01/09/best_worst_college_football.html

You sound exactly like my cuz in Ohio. He won't even answer his phone tonight....................I tried. :)

I did leave him a one word message. SCOREBOARD

Cuda
01-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Texas? You think beating Ohio State by a crappy three points gets you the title? Puhleeeeaaassee, hell if anyone has a right to be annoyed it would be the 13-0 folks in Utah.. :yes::yes:

If you lined up Utah and Florida today, who'd you put your money on???

Scoreboard.

Cuda
01-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Whooooaaa cowboy, back the bus up a moment...
MY team didn't make the NC playoff, lets get that clear. IMO the gators suck, lets get that clear also please. :) :)
But, I do believe tebow played a better schedule than yours, which brought them to the bowl where IMO Utah should have played.. Now, should Utah have maybe played Texas? That's an interesting question...
Of who'd come in third???????????

Cuda
01-09-2009, 06:59 PM
I

As far as Tebow, I hate that he's good at football and attends the University of Florida, but he's a heck of a guy...all there is to it. And yes Buiz, it would take some major stones and faith to go on national TV proclaiming your Christianity.

It's called having the courage of your convictions.

Carl C
01-09-2009, 07:10 PM
How did this get sidetracked to football talk. I want to see more pics of Tebow's girlfriend. Before and after would be interesting:nilly:..........

Cuda
01-09-2009, 07:55 PM
How did this get sidetracked to football talk. I want to see more pics of Tebow's girlfriend. Before and after would be interesting:nilly:..........
That's just a tad disturbing.

Carl C
01-09-2009, 08:25 PM
That's just a tad disturbing. Just kidding. Gators are the champs and I am $30 richer for it.:shades:

Cuda
01-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Utah.. Without a doubt..
Damn Scotty, I didn't know you were that much of a Gator Hater. :)
You'd be parting with your money tomorrow.

Don't hate the playa.....................

Cuda
01-10-2009, 02:05 AM
Just kidding. Gators are the champs and I am $30 richer for it.:shades:

I think you missed the point of why it's disturbing. :eek:

Cuda
01-10-2009, 03:07 AM
The best pro prospect is the best college player. Just because OK couldnt beat the gators, doesn't mean Bradforsd isn't a better, more in control of his situation QB, with a hell of a lot more maturity that tebow. I do hope tebow makes the jump, and I hope he tries that jump pass of his in an NFL game. I also hope he doesn't get killed when he does, I don't wish that on anyone..

Whooaaaa Cowboy, back up that bus! :)
Often the Heisman Trophy candidates were not considered even close to the number one pro propect.

http://www.usclegends.org/anthony-davis.php

Archie Griffin was never considered the best pro prospect, yet he won two Heismans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Griffin

Leroy Selmon was far and away the consensus number one pro propect in 1975, yet he didn't win a Heisman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Roy_Selmon

The Heisman was won more times by non-top pro propects, than cant'-miss pro prospects or pro's that only were picked high because of their Heisman notoriety, Gino Toretta is the first one that comes to mind. :) He is joined by many other pro wash outs, such as:

Charles White (he wasn't big, but he made up for it by being slow)
Mike Rozier (you gotta remember him :) He played for Nebraska in what I consider the best Orange Bowl of all time)
Charlie Ward (even the most staunch FSU supporter will admit he made the right choice by playing basketball)
Desmond Howard (who was much better at posing as a Heisman winner than he ever was as a pro)
Rashaan Salam (ask the Bears)
Eric Couch (who even had me fooled)
Troy Smith (ask Tebow, SIX yards???????)

And as badly as I hate to say it, even a Gator, Danny Wuerfull, aka Danny Awful (he couldn't break a plane of glass with that rag arm)

Since I have me you in person, and know you are a highly intelligent man; that leaves me with the only possible conclusion. :drunk: (refer to onesubdriver's sig line :) )

I respectfully await your rebuttle. :kingme:

chappy
01-10-2009, 07:52 AM
What are the chances of getting a 'Gator emoticon from Oz?:kingme:

chappy
01-10-2009, 08:52 AM
:censored:

lmfao:)

Cuda
01-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I wasn't referring to the past you are so desperately clinging to, I was referring to the present, and the future. Your messiah is going to do a werful if he goes to the NFL. Bradford on the other hand is already proving he will be a stud in the NFL, not a casualty. If tebow is smart, or at least well advised, he'll either stay in college until he's 40, or become a missionary :) :)
Ah Grasshopper, when you can snatch the first round pick from my hand, it will be time for you to go.

Until then..........................Thursday night is by definition in the past, but regardless of what anybody thinks, he WAS the best quarterback on the field in Miami that night. You need only to check the scoreboard for verification. I doubt that Tebow will try many "jump" passes in the NFL for the simple reason in the NFL the players are generally much taller.

Btw, I don't even know who the quarteback for the Canes is. I haven't heard his name bantied around as either the best pro propect, or a Heisman canditate.

Again, don't hate the playa...................

Cuda
01-10-2009, 04:33 PM
What are the chances of getting a 'Gator emoticon from Oz?:kingme:
There are two hopes of that happening..................Bob Hope, and no hope. And Bob is dead.

onesubdrvr
01-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I agree with Poodle as far as RUNNING QB's don't do well in the NFL. That all being said, I won't argue one side or the other as far as Tebow vs Bradford as I just catch scores, don't really watch games.

Stats are also lopsided depending on strength of schedule / etc.

Wayne

BUIZILLA
01-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Stats are also lopsided depending on strength of schedule / etc. Wayne word..

Cuda
01-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Best QB? Have you checked the stats? The majority of your yards were rushing, not passing, 249 vs 231.
Going into the game, statistically they were close. Tebow completed 66.24% of his passes for the year, Bradford 67.0. At the game, Tebow completed 60.0% of his passes for the year, Bradford 63.4.
However, regardless of how godlike tebow may seem, his stats would tend to indicate otherwise. Tebow, in 3 (2.5? ) seasons, has thrown for 6,361 yards, and gotten 67 TD's. Bradford, in 2.0 seasons, has 7,842 yards for 86 TD's. For that matter, tebow has slacked off this year. in 07 he had 234 completions, in 08 192. in 07 he had 55 passes for td's, in 08 42. Total passing yards in 07 were 3286, in 08 2747.. Bradford on the other hand, had 237 completions in 07 (oooh, more than tebow) and 328 in 08. He threw 36 for td's in 07, 50 in 08.
Your emperor has no clothes.. :kingme: :kingme:
You sound just like my FSU apologist sister, and my OSU cuz. Love to quote stats, but there is only one stat that matters. The number of W's vs L's.

Cuda
01-11-2009, 12:43 AM
word..
Miami's record against the SEC was stellar this year.

Date Opponent (record) Result Score Site
9/6/2008 @ Florida (13-1) L 3 26

Against ACC opponents, they managed to eek out a 4 and 4 record, including losses to the likes of such perenial powerhouses like Ga Tech, NC and NC State, and last but not least, the Florida College for Women.

They lost their only Pac 10 game to California (do they even play football? ) at some new wannabe bowl game called the Emerald Bowl, which is a bowl game STEEPED in tradition. (The only time I ever heard there was such a bowl was when my sister flew out there to watch FSU, and she didn't even go there. She went to USF, who she now claims. Apparently she an "Jimmy" Leavit are close friends. That's funny, becase he was Jim Leavit when I went to high school with him, where she now teaches. Her FSU hubby TAUGHT there when I was a student. :eek:

VetteLT193
01-11-2009, 01:09 AM
You sound just like my FSU apologist sister, and my OSU cuz. Love to quote stats, but there is only one stat that matters. The number of W's vs L's.

So you agree that Utah is this year's actual National Championship team?

:popcorn:

Ghost
01-11-2009, 07:52 AM
It's amazing how different the college and pro games really are. Differences in average speed, size, and strength (and mindset) have an interesting affect, that it sounds like this thread has really captured.

Some great pros were great college players: the can't-miss sorts. Jonathan Ogden may be a good example.

Of course, some of the can't-misses aren't. Best example ever is the Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf split. I'd guess that one goes to mindset--possibly even off-the-field "now that I'm rich" mindset.

Then there are lots of standout college stars who just don't match up well to the pro game. Lots of these got noted. (BTW, if Eric "Couch" was a typo, it was hilarious. And if it was deliberate, it was inspired.)

To me the most interesting ones are the ones who were solid but not really acclaimed college players, who became legends in the pros. The Bus is a great example of this. Not many people even remember who Amp Lee was, but he was the star at ND while The Bus was blocking. Those are really cool stories.

BTW, as a Michigan grad, I think both Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson were interesting. In my assessment as well as the voting, both were pretty overwhelmingly concluded to be the Heisman winner. (DH for sure.) Definitely examples where they didn't let the voting criteria get confused with potential or pro prospects, just performance in college. Desmond's career was amazing. 4 years of college, Rose Bowl win, Heisman, big paycheck, and a mediocre pro career with a Superbowl MVP?! Talk about a charmed life. (I don't want to hear any lip back about Michigan or we'll poach your coach and hand him a reputation-crushing season within a year. :))

What annoys me is that year in and year out, they always want to hand the Heisman to a skill player on a big name team. I'd like to see some of the great linemen getting that award--until then, it's got a big asterisk next to it. Football is largely won in the trenches. Just ask Mark Rypien.

chappy
01-12-2009, 09:26 AM
It's amazing how different the college and pro games really are. Differences in average speed, size, and strength (and mindset) have an interesting affect, that it sounds like this thread has really captured.

Some great pros were great college players: the can't-miss sorts. Jonathan Ogden may be a good example.

Of course, some of the can't-misses aren't. Best example ever is the Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf split. I'd guess that one goes to mindset--possibly even off-the-field "now that I'm rich" mindset.

Then there are lots of standout college stars who just don't match up well to the pro game. Lots of these got noted. (BTW, if Eric "Couch" was a typo, it was hilarious. And if it was deliberate, it was inspired.)

To me the most interesting ones are the ones who were solid but not really acclaimed college players, who became legends in the pros. The Bus is a great example of this. Not many people even remember who Amp Lee was, but he was the star at ND while The Bus was blocking. Those are really cool stories.

BTW, as a Michigan grad, I think both Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson were interesting. In my assessment as well as the voting, both were pretty overwhelmingly concluded to be the Heisman winner. (DH for sure.) Definitely examples where they didn't let the voting criteria get confused with potential or pro prospects, just performance in college. Desmond's career was amazing. 4 years of college, Rose Bowl win, Heisman, big paycheck, and a mediocre pro career with a Superbowl MVP?! Talk about a charmed life. (I don't want to hear any lip back about Michigan or we'll poach your coach and hand him a reputation-crushing season within a year. :))

What annoys me is that year in and year out, they always want to hand the Heisman to a skill player on a big name team. I'd like to see some of the great linemen getting that award--until then, it's got a big asterisk next to it. Football is largely won in the trenches. Just ask Mark Rypien.

Amp Lee was a Seminole.:shades:

Ghost
01-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Amp Lee was a Seminole.:shades:

Wow, what was I smoking?! Thanks for catching that.

I meant Reggie Brooks. I guess I have them both filed under guys who gave us fits in some of the biggest games from my college era.

I did take a look to see where Bettis got drafted--#10 overall. So I guess despite his college role relative to Brooks, the pro scouts knew full well he was a great prospect.

Brooks went #45 to the Redskins. NOW I know why I said "Amp Lee." After that pick by the Skins I fully repressed the name "Reggie Brooks." :)