PDA

View Full Version : 1972 18 2+3

stromers
01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I am selling my gal - my 1972 18 2+3. It was refurbished and repowered in 2001 with a 5.7 GSi Volvo Penta, transom housing intermediate and SX drive with left hand SS 21+ prop. This boat tops out about 65-68 MPH however; I never verified it on GPS. The boat was sound, however, we took the deck off and made sure the stringers were in good shape - they were. We added glass to the stringers and added three gussets that we glassed in on the outboard side of the stringers. Custom motor mounts (shorter) were fabricated and they are through bolted to the stringers with aluminum backing plates sandwiching the stringer. A custom 40 gal fuel cell was fabricated and installed as well. We made the rear cross stringer ¼ inch thicker than the stock marine ply and glassed in. We over built this so it would hold the new power plant and real power trim. The original transom was in very good shape so we built up the transom from the inside and covered the lower old 3” exhaust outlets. The new 4” outlets are custom SS and just below the SS rub-rail. Hydraulic trim tabs were also installed. It has dual batts and switch. Batts are mounted outboard of the engine. The traditional batt compartment (under the bench) is a storage compartment. In floor storage was made a bit bigger. We kept this a port side helm. Steering wheel and steering head are original as well as the deck vents with "Donzi" logo. I added two pop-up cleats to the rear deck in the location of the current models. The interior is clean and vinyl is in good shape. The interior was redone locally during the refurb. The seat bases and hardware are original and do show signs of pitting but I wanted to use the originals. The control is the correct Morse but new as the old shifter control had to be replaced. The shift knob is original wood with Donzi logo - we sanded and re-stained it with a clear coat top cover. The instruments are Farria and mounted on brushed aluminum as are the tab rocker switches and other misc. switched for lights, blower, trim, etc. All the colors/stripes are gel coat. We took the old gel down and put a fresh gel-coat on the entire boat - no paint, no tape except the period correct decals that I purchased from Donzi at the time of the refurb. The trailer is in very good condition - single axel 2001 Magic Tilt aluminum trailer with swing tongue, Donzi logos, and bearing buddies. I added SS tie down receivers to the trailer rails. This boat can be stored in a 20ft garage. It has always been garage kept since we did the refurb. It has 130 hrs on the new power. It has always been flushed and washed – trailer too. This is my pride and joy but I have to part with it. This is not a show boat to sit on display - this is a boat to use and enjoy it is clean, looks damn good, it’s fast, very strong and sound and it has been a pure joy. The boat has been listed on BoatTrader in the past at a much higher price. I want to sell it to a Donzi lover that will use it. So, I am offering the package at $12,900 on this forum. Contact Andy at hd03fatboy@comcast.net (hd03fatboy@comcast.net)

dolens
01-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi Stromers,

Very nice Donzi..

Im looking for a classic 18 and was wondering if you could email me any high resolution pics you might have. Ill PM you my email address.

Thanks

Steve

olredalert
01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
-----Wow,,,This wont last long!!!!.........Bill S

CROWN MAN
01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
These picture do not do this boat Justice. Notice how it was just pulled out of the garage & not just washed for pictures (dry ground).
You will not find a 1972 in better shape for that money. I wish I had some extra $$$$

Im liken the little crown :kingme::kingme::kingme::kingme::kingme::kingme::k ingme:

chappy
01-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Very nice boat Andy, well preserved, sharp, and a great power package. Good luck.

stromers
01-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Folks are already emailing me - it is bitter sweet.

stromers
01-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I have been asked a few times via email so I will post it here:
This is my boat and it is in my garage in Sarasota, FL. That is the west coast - 50 miles south of Tampa.

Thank you for all the interest and e-mails.

Bobby D
01-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I am looking for a registry member in the area who would be willing to go check out this boat for me. I am very interested in possibly purchasing the boat but need some help and would like a second opinion. The owner is a great guy and has answered all my questions and would not have a problem with a board member taking a close look for me. Also would be interested in hearing from anyone who has seen this boat up close.
Are there any volunteers that would do this for me?
Thanks,
Bob

Donzi Racer
01-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I am looking for a registry member in the area who would be willing to go check out this boat for me. I am very interested in possibly purchasing the boat but need some help and would like a second opinion. The owner is a great guy and has answered all my questions and would not have a problem with a board member taking a close look for me. Also would be interested in hearing from anyone who has seen this boat up close.
Are there any volunteers that would do this for me?
Thanks,
Bob

Bob, I am sure you will get someone on that side of the state to help. But if you can't we are on the east side about 2 1/2 hour ride away. If you cannot get any of the others to do it, we will go over and take a look for you. Your only problem is we have just sold a couple of classic Donzi's and may really like this one. ha ha It really looks nice. I would be available tuesday or wednesday of this coming week if you need me. Email me if you would like and would be glad to assist. mishunaire@aol.com Tom

Bobby D
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Tom
Thanks for the offer I will email you.
Scott,
Thanks for any help you can drum up, what is your option of the 5.7 GSi Volvo Penta, and SX drive?

stromers
01-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Thank you for all the interest eveyone - it seems my price is very fair and there is quite a bit of interest. I had a nice gent from Clearwater come see the boat and now we are trying to schedule a sea trial. I also have Bob (great guy) in PA trying to find a forum member take a 3rd party look at her - good idea since he is so far away. I also have a guy emailing me to find out the cash price and if it still available. So I have interest but...I wan this to go to a forum member and Donzi lover.
To "The other Scott" - long time no see - thanks for the kind words. The only change since you saw her in the past is the Magic Tilt trailer (and possibly the trim tabs). My only regreat is that I don't have the time to use it or I would keep her. I will miss her but she needs a good home that will enjoy her. Stromers

stromers
02-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Thank you all for the support - my baby has a new "Dad". It is going north to PA.

stromers
02-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Yes, I will be in either one of the Doral Cruisers and Yacht booths D99 (inside) & 3032 (outside). See ya there.

stromers
05-02-2009, 07:02 PM
My gal s has a new Dad and I could not be happier. Bobby D and I wrapped her up like a precious stone and he carefully transported her to her new home in PA. A lot of memories and effort went into that boat and Bobby D new it - especially when my daughter came home from school and started to cry! I think four neighbors came out to meet Bobby D and wish him well with his new gal. Thanks Bobby D - treat her well. All the Best - Andy (Stromers)