PDA

View Full Version : squeak in rear of engine?

donzi2287
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
O.K. My endless journey of getting my boat running perfect like I want. There are a few parts not changed. This must be one of them!!!! Problem: Every once in a while I here a loud squeaking noise relevant to engine R.P.M.

- when I raise the drive a little , I drop to idle and goes away
- when I slow down it has done it, I drop to idle and goes away
- first start up, however dead idle no noise
- begin to get on plane, noise then I idle, then speed up then O.K.
- once it starts, if I acclerate it gets louder.
- engine- 502/500h.p.
What is it?

Thanks!!!!!

fogducker III
01-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Just a guess but if it is engine speed related and a definate squeaking, perhaps a simple belt? Or a bearing in the water pump, power steering pump or alt? I don't think the drive has anything to do with it.............?:confused:

Hope you find it, I know noises like that are annoying as hell...........:nilly:

donzi2287
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
It is in the rear of the engine

fogducker III
01-05-2009, 06:11 PM
If it is RPM related and coming from the rear then it must be driveshaft related? Only thing I can think of spinning at the back of the engine??

Not sure I have ever heard a gimbal bearing squeak..?

donzi2287
01-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I know!!! This is new to me.. Maybe it is the bearing. It is one of the few parts not changed!!! My brother looked up the gimble bearing it said nothing of a squeak.

fogducker III
01-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Does the squeak come and go when you move the steering.............:confused:

Trueser
01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Could be U joints / Coupler / Or Gimbal bearing.

Best thing would be to pull the drive.

CHACHI
01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Possible the vulcanized rubber insert of the coupler has seperated from either the outer steel or the inner splined hub?

I don't know if this could happen without a total coupler failure.

Ken

DonziJon
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
My first guess would be Gimbal Bearing.......but if it "Squeeks" it is VERY Dry (No lubrication) and ready for Self Destruction. John

Mr X
01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Coupler.......

VetteLT193
01-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Coupler.......

I think it's original too... and the engine has been in and out a lot lately. :nilly:

f_inscreenname
01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm saying Gimbal bearing. Maybe the little rubber "O" rings came off the driveshaft and the driveshaft is spinning faster then the Gimbal when you are accelerating but catches up when you back off.

donzi2287
01-05-2009, 07:59 PM
can I change the gimbal without removing the motor?

MOP
01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Yes just pull the drive, you may need more then a slide hammer. Also make sure you line up the grease hole on the new one as per the book.

RedDog
01-05-2009, 09:43 PM
could it be a mouse :wink:

zelatore
01-06-2009, 12:01 AM
could it be a mouse :wink:
Na, he's got a rat-not a mouse.

Either way, you're just lucky you didn't go with an elephant!

BigGrizzly
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
There is one more possibility that I have run across and that is the prop hub, it is usually easy to spot because it is in the step of the prop. Of course neither of my boats have a rubber coupler, I have the real stuff

donzi2287
01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
it does it in neutral also.

Trueser
01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Pull the drive and check the u joints and gimbal.

echo.......

DonziJon
01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Once you pull the drive...have a rag handy to wipe you hand clean after.....It will be greasy: Stick your hand with Two fingers..Index and the next finger, in through the bellows ...into the empty Gimbal bearing....look in there with a flashlight..you can see it.

Any way, stick your two fingers into the hole and expand your fingers apart and Rotate the bearing.....FEEL how the bearing feels. You don't need to be an expert here. If the bearing is GOOD it will FEEL Smooth and slightly tight..without any wobble or free play. It will FEEL Nice....and smooth when you rotate it with your two fingers.. You might even get Three fingers in there.

If it feels a little "rough"....maybe grindy, gritty, or sloppy when you rotate it is time to replace it. John

donzi2287
01-06-2009, 08:06 PM
o.k. I'll pull the drive and check the gimbal. Now, if it is the coupler that is attached to the flywheel..... can that be changed without removing the motor. I'm guessing no. or is there something else?? This is a new problem to me!

gcarter
01-06-2009, 08:25 PM
o.k. I'll pull the drive and check the gimbal. Now, if it is the coupler that is attached to the flywheel..... can that be changed without removing the motor. I'm guessing no. or is there something else?? This is a new problem to me!
Yes you can.
If you disconnect most things, raise the engine and move it forward enough to rotate it 90*. Then it's easy to remove the flywheel cover and change the coupler.

donzi2287
01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Well....that stinks...I hope it is just the gimble!!! Thanks everybody for the advise!!!

CHACHI
01-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Well....that stinks...I hope it is just the gimble!!! Thanks everybody for the advise!!!

It certainly does.

Nothing like pulling a motor to change a very expensive "shear pin".

Ken

DonziJon
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM

Don't get in a Tizzy just yet. Just pull the drive and have a look. If it's an Alpha it takes 10 minutes to pull the drive. Put the shifter into foreward... then go back an remove the ass end of the lift cylinders from the drive (Pull the cross bolt) and hang the cylinders horizontaly with a string/cord from the rear lifting eye. Then remove the 6 Nylok Nuts. An alpha weighs about 85 pounds, (W/O Prop) so be prepared for that. Take the SS Prop off first because that weighs another 14-18 pounds I think.

PS: I remove my drive every season to fit the boat in the garage. I did this manually for years....then I bought an 2 ton engine lift from Pep Boys for about $120. Getting the drive OFF was no big deal....putting it back on is a PITA without a crane. Now I know. :bonk: John