PDA

View Full Version : Help Buying a Classic 18

dolens
01-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Hi all,

I just wanted to get a few opinions on buying a donzi. I am looking at several Donzi Classic 18's right now, and I just wanted to get the opinions of the more educated donzi owners here. I am looking at several mid 90's with stock Merc's, all pretty much the same except for color. I'm also looking at one that is an 1988, that the guy has built a 450hp stoker motor in. My question i, Is it better to go with a Classic that is for the most part original, or is it ok to buy one with performance motors in them(assuming they were put together by someone that knew what they were doing) Here are the links for my top picks right now. I would like to make a move in the next 2 weeks. Is there any thing else I should be aware of when shopping for an 18? Also is it better to have or not have the windshield?

Here are a few pics of the ones I'm looking at. The red one is the 88, and the others are mid to late 90's

Thanks in advance for the advice

jl1962
01-05-2009, 06:03 AM
Go for the teal/white boat WITHOUT the windshield. Depending upon your previous experience, I would start w/ a clean, stock boat and go from there.

My .02.

And be sure to bring it to Lake George in June.

Donzi Vol
01-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the world of 18's! Not to be vague, but it all really depends on what you want. We've had an all original '67 18 classic that was a complete joy to take out and run around at 50 mph. We've also enjoyed an 18 classic with a 408 Chevy, dry exhaust, and hydro steering that would run 77 gps straight as an arrow. And believe me, the guy who put this bad boy together knew what he was doing!:wink: By far the best ride ever...if
performance is what you're looking for.

As for the windshield, in my opinion who needs one on an 18' boat? I would take rides in ones with and ones without and see which you prefer.

Good luck with your search, and if we can be of any help give us a shout!

All the best,
David

osur866
01-05-2009, 12:09 PM
All nice looking, I'm a little bias towards the red ones, but that white and red looks to have a SS windshield if you like the the windshield thingy, which I do, just for looks they serve no other purpose than that. Looks as if the white/red comes on a nice dual axle trailer as well. Goodluck, you won't go wrong with any of them IMO. Steve

dolens
01-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Ive read alot about the windshields in the forums and I see all types of opinions, and I really like it with or without. Can a windshield be bought from Donzi and added to a classic that doesnt have one? I live on a lake with a speed limit anyway, but its private and Im sure there will be times when I will be hitting 60 or so, and I will also be taking it probably to lake George when the donzi runs happen. As long as I can add one down the road that all that matters. Right now Its a toss up between all of them. Im sure Id be happy with anyone. I plan on hiring a Marine surveyor to inspect any one that I do go for

Thanks again for the comments.

Steve

CHACHI
01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
If they are available down the road, you wouldn't want to buy one.

Donzi is quite proud of their stuff.

Ken

dolens
01-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Which on is Stromers Boat?

Nevermind! Just saw it.

Donzi Racer
01-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Stromers boat in the for sale section is a hellllllll of a nice piece. I cannot believe he's selling it...

This would be my pick as Scott says. That boat looks like a mid 90's or newer and looks to have had all the stuff already done to it. It runs almost 10 mph faster than stock, looks fantastic, should stay close to the same price range for few years anyway. The others should depreciate faster and they are still 10 to 15 year old boats. Stromers boat is older but had so much freshning up it seems much newer. And the best thing about his 1972 Donzi is the Price Range. That is like a free boat with all the things he has done to that Beauty! Meaning that it would cost more to do the things he has done to the boat than the price he is asking. Trust me, I know. ha ha Damn Gas Tanks! hahahahah
Go for the Oldie but Goodie. It is the best feeling in the world when people ask you how old your Donzi is? You say guess and they say, Oh I don't know maybe a 1990's model and you smile, ear to ear and say nope, it is a 1972 WOW! They will be Drooling. Just my 2c.

JeffH
01-10-2009, 07:34 AM
I bought one just like the teal pictured. It is a 1997. At times I wish I had a windshield, but mostly not! The grab rail is sharp! My engine crapped out on me and I just repowerd with a 350 Mag MPI from Victory marine...I only have three hours on it but like what I see so far! 62+ with no prop dial in yet. The wind will only bother you if it's cold.

Paid 13,500...now have $20,000 in it!

Jeff

dolens
01-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the help! I really like the 72 Stromers has for sale, and I also Like the 88 with the stroker motor. To be honest there all nice, its a hard decision. The more I research, the more I find that everyone says you should test drive a boat before you buy, and in the winter time, thats hard to do, because most people have winterized there boats(except for Stomers(lucky Floridian)). lol
Im really kind of partial to the red donzis, and I think the 72 will be a good boat, since its been redone. Is there much of a difference between the Merc's and the Volvo Penta's?